IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 09:08 PM   #3081
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
https://journalstar.com/lifestyles/h...a33943dd7.html

It seems Trump is angry with Melania over the renovations to their new residence at Mara Lago. He had one of his little temper tantrums with the staff even though it was Melania and an outside interior decorator who picked everything out.
Apparently he still thinks he can live there. I hope the town where Mar-a-Lardass is located does not chicken out by letting him live there.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 09:10 PM   #3082
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Wall Street Journal just had an editorial saying Trump was helping Schumer..that Trump's Antics might well cost the GOP the senate in Georgia election. The Juurnal is a Murdoch owned paper, as is the NY Post. Looks as if Rupert is turning on Donnie..probably pissed off at Donnie's turning on Foxnews.
I hesitate to suggest that Diaper Donnie might actually be smart enough to be doing this deliberately (so that they do lose the Senate) in order to punish them for not standing up and fighting for him. He doesn't give a rats arse about Republicans, and I don't think he ever did. They are, and always were, a means to an end.

He is now desperate to stay in power because his legal jeopardy is looming large in the rear vision mirror.
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 09:49 PM   #3083
Worm
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Oh, god...we're never going to hear the end of that from him. He must be having multiple orgasms over this.
Probably, mainly because he, unsurprisingly, won't understand it. In recent history it largely amounts to a poll that asks ' Who is the President?'

1981-88 Reagan
1989-92 Bush Sr.
1993-2000 Clinton
2001-2007 Bush Jr.
2008-2019 Obama
2020 Trump

If all was well, Trump should have been top for the last 4 years. It's hardly a victory.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/1678/Mo...Man-Woman.aspx

Not all cults are bad - I've joined a cult of niceness
Worm is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 10:23 PM   #3084
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Worm View Post
Probably, mainly because he, unsurprisingly, won't understand it. In recent history it largely amounts to a poll that asks ' Who is the President?'

1981-88 Reagan
1989-92 Bush Sr.
1993-2000 Clinton
2001-2007 Bush Jr.
2008-2019 Obama
2020 Trump

If all was well, Trump should have been top for the last 4 years. It's hardly a victory.

A while back, in an emergency situation, my mom had to take one of those cognitive tests, "Who is president?" It was almost exactly 4 years ago, and she said, "A good-looking black guy." She was then asked, "Who's the next president?" Reponse, "I hope it's not Donald Trump."

She's gone a bit downhill, but she knows there's a pandemic; and probably also knows Trump was defeated by Joe Biden. But it strikes me that these basic orientation questions have gotten tougher. It crossed my mind to re-register on her behalf and advise her to vote for Biden. I ended up letting it slide. She's 96, a lifelong Republican; and she concluded before the 2016 election that Trump was not a good person. She had grown to admire Obama somewhat. Her registration had lapsed with her DL and I didn't think to renew it. But it's one data point. She gave Trump the benefit of the doubt in 2016; she wouldn't have done so in 2020. And she was married to a man who testified on behalf of Robert Bork. She was a straight GOP ticket voter for 70 years, but that would have changed.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 29th December 2020, 10:52 PM   #3085
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
McConnell is blocking the vote on the $2,000 stimulus bill. The President and the two GOP Senators running in Georgia are asking for the $2K and Bernie is threatening to filibuster the Defense bill unless McConnell allows the vote.

Wonder what's going to happen?
I think that I saw a couple headlines about McConnell trying to insert Trump's demands as a poison pill to the $2000. People get the $2000, Section 230 gets removed.
Old 30th December 2020, 06:08 AM   #3086
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Apparently he still thinks he can live there. I hope the town where Mar-a-Lardass is located does not chicken out by letting him live there.
I don’t think it’s the town. I think it’s an agreement he signed with residents of Mar-a-Lago.

He’ll ignore it, of course, but in theory it should be enforceable civilly if written properly.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 06:59 AM   #3087
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Given it only takes:
Quote:
Eighteen percent of the survey's respondents named Trump
I don't think there's much to the prize.
Are you sure that wasn’t 18% of respondents named Trump voted for him...

Old 30th December 2020, 07:43 AM   #3088
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Worm View Post

1981-88 Reagan
1989-92 Bush Sr.
1993-2000 Clinton
2001-2007 Bush Jr.
2008-2019 Obama
2020 Trump

It's a poll for idiots. Many people just name the president because they're too stupid to quickly think of anyone else.
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 07:47 AM   #3089
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
It's a poll for idiots. Many people just name the president because they're too stupid to quickly think of anyone else.
LOL! And many still get the wrong one!
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 08:00 AM   #3090
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

$2000 ASAP!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 09:51 AM   #3091
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Yet another Trump issue (although admittedly this one is pretty small, and won't really have much of an impact)...

President Donald Trump shared a video late Monday that appears to attempt an awkwardly self-congratulatory montage of Trump’s accomplishments....Forty-two seconds in, the caption “Trump stands for peace” fills the screen; next, the video shows Trump, standing alongside other dignitaries, proudly displaying a document, all while the Nobel Prize graphic plays in the corner....there are a couple of potential legal problems with Trump’s video. First, there’s the potentially unauthorized use of the Nobel Prize image....Furthermore, it’s worth noting that the image used in Trump’s video is not the one that corresponds to the Nobel Peace Prize.

This seems to illustrate Trump's presidency so perfectly...

- Breaking the law (unauthorized use of image)...check
- Lying about accomplishments (suggesting he won the peace prize)... check
- acting in an incompetent manner (use of the wrong image)... check.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 10:22 AM   #3092
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Which perfectly shows what game Trump is playing: Not 4D chess. Not ordinary chess. Not even a decent game of checkers. But a game of cheats. And because most other players have this naive idea that you ought to follow the rules, he can win, .... for a time. But once they wise up to him, it's ..

Ovah!

Hans
Old 30th December 2020, 11:24 AM   #3093
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Which perfectly shows what game Trump is playing: Not 4D chess. Not ordinary chess. Not even a decent game of checkers. But a game of cheats. And because most other players have this naive idea that you ought to follow the rules, he can win, .... for a time. But once they wise up to him, it's ..

Ovah!

Hans
4D chess? HAH! It was always 5D.

Quote:
Prominent QAnon conspiracy theorist says she is beginning to wonder if Trump really is playing ‘5D chess’ after all.
https://news.yahoo.com/prominent-qan...080143884.html
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 12:06 PM   #3094
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by slyjoe View Post
Really, I wonder if anybody realizes exactly how complex 5D chess would actually be.

Hans
Old 30th December 2020, 12:17 PM   #3095
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Really, I wonder if anybody realizes exactly how complex 5D chess would actually be.
Technically, wouldn't some of the moves be made in a parallel universe?

It's not so far-fetched for Trump, who seems to live on a different planet.
Old 30th December 2020, 12:33 PM   #3096
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Technically, wouldn't some of the moves be made in a parallel universe?
Not really. You can simulate as many dimensions as you like on computer. Visualizing that, on other hand, can be... problematic.

I think good exercise would be "how literal 3D chess would be like?" compared to traditional 2D chess. We know three dimensions, so we can work with that.
Obviously, there would be cubed game field (8 x 8 x 8 instead of 8 x 8), but it is not clear for me how pieces would be arranged. Most likely there would be new pieces and more pieces to fill plane nearest to player.
Movement is simple enough to be replicated in 3D, though some new pieces could have moves that inherently pass through all dimensions (think kinghts that already have unusual movement).
Old 30th December 2020, 12:39 PM   #3097
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
Not really. You can simulate as many dimensions as you like on computer. Visualizing that, on other hand, can be... problematic.

I think good exercise would be "how literal 3D chess would be like?" compared to traditional 2D chess. We know three dimensions, so we can work with that.
Obviously, there would be cubed game field (8 x 8 x 8 instead of 8 x 8), but it is not clear for me how pieces would be arranged. Most likely there would be new pieces and more pieces to fill plane nearest to player.
Movement is simple enough to be replicated in 3D, though some new pieces could have moves that inherently pass through all dimensions (think kinghts that already have unusual movement).
Have you never seen Star Trek?

(OK, so it was in maybe one episode over 50 years ago...)
Old 30th December 2020, 12:59 PM   #3098
eerok
Quixoticist

I'd actually love to see Trump try to play an ordinary game of Go, since being greedy and unreasonable usually loses you the game.
Old 30th December 2020, 01:01 PM   #3099
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

I just want to see Trump play like.... Cards Against Humanity or some other game where you can't win without having fun.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:02 PM   #3100
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

I'd actually love to see Trump try to play an ordinary game of Go, since being greedy and unreasonable usually loses you the game.
It would just quickly end up with a mess of pieces on the ground and a broken board as he claims victory and to have played the perfect game and his opponent cheated.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:13 PM   #3101
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It would just quickly end up with a mess of pieces on the ground and a broken board as he claims victory and to have played the perfect game and his opponent cheated.
That's tragically accurate. If there's any upside to Trump's handling of this election cycle, it's that some of his followers have backed away in horror at what he's been doing. The other day I drank my "Trump beer" with a friend with whom I bet one Guinness that Trump would lose this election, and he was very subdued about Trump. He'd thought Trump was "the guy," but now he thinks he was wrong. People can learn.

Trump's recent behavior has done a lot of harm to America, though, so that's a pretty thin upside.

Last edited by eerok; 30th December 2020 at 01:14 PM.
eerok is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:13 PM   #3102
Armitage72
Philosopher

Now I'm picturing Trump trying to play any modern cooperative card game or board game. Any outcome where everyone benefits is a loss in his mind, so he'd end up attacking the other players in an effort to be the only winner.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:15 PM   #3103
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Are you sure that wasn’t 18% of respondents named Trump voted for him...

Actually, I was thinking given it was shared in the right wing blogosphere that Hillary won this a gajillion times, Trumpers were ready to pimp for him here.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:18 PM   #3104
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Yet another Trump issue (although admittedly this one is pretty small, and won't really have much of an impact)...

President Donald Trump shared a video late Monday that appears to attempt an awkwardly self-congratulatory montage of Trump’s accomplishments....Forty-two seconds in, the caption “Trump stands for peace” fills the screen; next, the video shows Trump, standing alongside other dignitaries, proudly displaying a document, all while the Nobel Prize graphic plays in the corner....there are a couple of potential legal problems with Trump’s video. First, there’s the potentially unauthorized use of the Nobel Prize image....Furthermore, it’s worth noting that the image used in Trump’s video is not the one that corresponds to the Nobel Peace Prize.

This seems to illustrate Trump's presidency so perfectly...

- Breaking the law (unauthorized use of image)...check
- Lying about accomplishments (suggesting he won the peace prize)... check
- acting in an incompetent manner (use of the wrong image)... check.
One of the news sources, CNN or MSNBC played a couple of Trump rally clips yesterday where he actually said he won two Nobel prizes.

I'll go hunt for them. It was shocking even for Trump.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:26 PM   #3105
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Quote:
Ossoff and fellow Democratic insurgent Rev. Raphael Warnock have both called for a much larger stimulus package. Analysts say Loeffler and Perdue are in a tough spot — they want to keep their #MAGA base happy without looking like they are flip-flopping on their previous fiscally conservative stand.
They must be very new at this. It doesn't matter if they "look like they are flip-flopping". The MAGA base will support the flip-flop, because it is Trump that originally flip-flopped, making it okay - and not merely okay, but now a policy requirement of everyone who wants MAGA support. The MAGA base does not care about "fiscal conservativism" except when Trump invokes it. When Trump backs a fiscally progressive policy, MAGA backs the fiscally progressive policy. That's how it works.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:26 PM   #3106
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
One of the news sources, CNN or MSNBC played a couple of Trump rally clips yesterday where he actually said he won two Nobel prizes.

I'll go hunt for them. It was shocking even for Trump.
Are you sure those weren't Noble Prizes, granted by Noble Landscaping & Lawn Care in Schenectady?
Old 30th December 2020, 01:28 PM   #3107
Armitage72
Philosopher

Are you sure those weren't Noble Prizes, granted by Noble Landscaping & Lawn Care in Schenectady?

At least the Nobel Prize actually exists. He has a long history of bragging about receiving awards that are found to not exist when people investigate.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 01:29 PM   #3108
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Here is some very poison fruit of MAGA:

NPR: Europe and China Approve Landmark Investment Treaty, Snubbing U.S.

WaPo: E.U. and China agree to investment pact despite concern about forced labor, objections from U.S.

The NPR headline gets the gist of how this is seen outside the US, while the WaPo focuses on the concerns that would have held if the US had not already severely lost its world standing under Trump.
Old 30th December 2020, 01:37 PM   #3109
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Here it is, he goes beyond saying he should have won, at least in the cherry picked clips. He then admits it was only a nomination, but judge for yourselves. You only need listen to the first 50 seconds:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 30th December 2020, 01:59 PM   #3110
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Here is some very poison fruit of MAGA:

NPR: Europe and China Approve Landmark Investment Treaty, Snubbing U.S.
Quote:
But after Biden won the U.S. presidential election, Chinese negotiators went into overdrive, offering various concessions on market access for European companies to help push the deal through before the end of the year.
But I was assured by Trump that Biden will be easy on China and is China's desired candidate. So then why is China suddenly rushing to complete the deal before Biden gets into office?
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:01 PM   #3111
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Insanity. As usual.
Trump tries to poke McConnel in the eyes.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:09 PM   #3112
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Watching @FoxNews is almost as bad as watching Fake News @CNN. New alternatives are developing!

JANUARY SIXTH, SEE YOU IN DC!

Twitter is shadow banning like never before. A disgrace that our weak and ineffective political leadership refuses to do anything about Big Tech. They’re either afraid or stupid, nobody really knows!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:10 PM   #3113
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Thank you, a great honor!

President Donald J Trump is AfricaWorld Man of the Year 2020
By Ukachukwu Okorie On January 20, 2017 when President Donald J Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America by Chief Justice John Roberts, many would not have imagined...
africaworldnewspaper.com
Old 30th December 2020, 03:12 PM   #3114
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Watching @FoxNews is almost as bad as watching Fake News @CNN. New alternatives are developing!

JANUARY SIXTH, SEE YOU IN DC!

Twitter is shadow banning like never before. A disgrace that our weak and ineffective political leadership refuses to do anything about Big Tech. They’re either afraid or stupid, nobody really knows!
Boo hoo. Peeples say bad fings about DiaperDon. Haz a sad!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 03:18 PM   #3115
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

The Onion could have printed that and no one could have picked it was real.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 04:41 PM   #3116
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Thank you, a great honor!

President Donald J Trump is AfricaWorld Man of the Year 2020
By Ukachukwu Okorie On January 20, 2017 when President Donald J Trump was sworn in as the 45th president of the United States of America by Chief Justice John Roberts, many would not have imagined...
africaworldnewspaper.com
A great honor Donny, bestowed upon you from one of your ****-hole countries!
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 05:23 PM   #3117
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

"German citizens Hans Meyer wonders if maybe the tightening of the front in the east might actually be a retreat from a superior Russian army".
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 05:43 PM   #3118
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

WTF?
"... and that Trump was selected by top generals to run for POTUS." (paraphrased)

Never heard that little gem, but how far out there would you have to be to believe such a thing?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 05:48 PM   #3119
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

5D chess, he's magical, and his thinking is above what anyone understands...

There's quite the bit of tea leaf reading religion in there: God has mysterious ways; God has a plan for us, we just don't know what it is; God has a reason for [fill in the horror] but his intelligence is so far above us......
Old 30th December 2020, 06:02 PM   #3120
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

"President Donald J Trump is AfricaWorld Man of the Year 2020"

It's a religious web publication that appears to have nothing in the archives before April 2020.

https://africaworldnewspaper.com/
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics