IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 30th December 2020, 07:27 PM   #3121
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

The only reason Trump wants the $2,000 is so his followers can keep on donating to him.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 07:31 PM   #3122
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
Are you sure those weren't Noble Prizes, granted by Noble Landscaping & Lawn Care in Schenectady?
Our motto: Sod off!
Old 30th December 2020, 07:34 PM   #3123
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
"President Donald J Trump is AfricaWorld Man of the Year 2020"

It's a religious web publication that appears to have nothing in the archives before April 2020.

https://africaworldnewspaper.com/
Is it REALLY African at all? Not from Patrice Lumumba University in Moscow?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 07:42 PM   #3124
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
I don’t think it’s the town. I think it’s an agreement he signed with residents of Mar-a-Lago.
There's no such thing as residents of Mar-a-Lago. It is a huge mansion that was converted into a private club. Nobody lives there (at the moment).

He did sign an agreement prohibiting him from living there (from Wikipedia):

Quote:
Trump signed a "use agreement" with the Town of Palm Beach, Florida that changed Mar-a-Lago's designation from a single-family residence to a private club and specified that guests, including Trump, could not stay there more than three non-consecutive weeks per year

Last edited by SezMe; 30th December 2020 at 07:56 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 08:30 PM   #3125
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Thanks for that : I notice that Wiki puts "use agreement" in quotes, which suggests they're unsure what that means from the perspective of the Town of Palm Beach. What authority do Towns have in Florida? I don't expect an answer, but I'm sure if Rudi was let loose on this he'd demolish it in seconds.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 08:45 PM   #3126
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Boo hoo. Peeples say bad fings about DiaperDon. Haz a sad!
SO he had turned on Rupert as well as Moscow Mitch.
Man, the Frankenstein monster has REALLY turned on it's creators.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 08:49 PM   #3127
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump is now claiming that that meanngless Most Admired Man pool proves that he won the electio.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 09:22 PM   #3128
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
The only reason Trump wants the $2,000 is so his followers can keep on donating to him.
He's just throwing feces. He wants to screw over Mitch and the rest of the Republicans because he's decided they're at fault for his loss. Since other Republican candidates won in places he lost, the only possible explanation is that the party didn't love him enough. For the Republicans, the $2000 check issue screws them either way - if they support it they're RINOs, if they don't support it they're abandoning Dear Leader.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 09:35 PM   #3129
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Trump is now claiming that that meanngless Most Admired Man pool proves that he won the electio.
Geniuses don’t get more stable than this, folks!
Old 30th December 2020, 09:42 PM   #3130
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Trump returning to Washngton from Margo Largo.
Apparently big pro Trump demonstrations are planned for Jan.6th. No doubt Anti Trump demonstrators will show up also,
One story has some Trump supporters want to smuggle guns into DC to set up a armed camp on the Mall.IMHO this is probably just macho posturing but who knows.
Jan 6th is going to be interesting in DC. I suspect if you are a DC cop, if you have that as your day off it will be postponed.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 30th December 2020 at 09:43 PM.
Old 30th December 2020, 10:18 PM   #3131
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Now I'm picturing Trump trying to play any modern cooperative card game or board game. Any outcome where everyone benefits is a loss in his mind, so he'd end up attacking the other players in an effort to be the only winner.
...Pandemic: Legacy.
Old 30th December 2020, 11:01 PM   #3132
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Here it is, he goes beyond saying he should have won, at least in the cherry picked clips. He then admits it was only a nomination, but judge for yourselves. You only need listen to the first 50 seconds:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Yes he admits he is talking about nominations when he says “they gave me a Nobel Peace Prize,” but he immediately follows that with “I don’t know, I don’t know.” WTF is that supposed to mean?
Old 30th December 2020, 11:07 PM   #3133
figarot
Muse

(snip)
Jan 6th is going to be interesting in DC. I suspect if you are a DC cop, if you have that as your day off it will be postponed.
Jan. 6th is also Eric Trump's birthday. Is Donald loco enough to promise his son a hellava day for his birthday (with something devious/sinister in mind)?
figarot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 30th December 2020, 11:57 PM   #3134
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Now I'm picturing Trump trying to play any modern cooperative card game or board game. Any outcome where everyone benefits is a loss in his mind, so he'd end up attacking the other players in an effort to be the only winner.
Can't see him playing a board game at all, competitive or not. I suspect it'd end with him throwing the board across the room and declaring victory. I agree he'd be particularly awful at the cooperative ones, though.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 01:27 AM   #3135
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

The only way Trump could have a single black card in Cards Against Humanity is the ones he refused to pick a winner for. (by the way, add a random card from the deck in the selection and be amazed, the deck plays to win)
Old 31st December 2020, 02:03 AM   #3136
Aridas

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
The only way Trump could have a single black card in Cards Against Humanity is the ones he refused to pick a winner for. (by the way, add a random card from the deck in the selection and be amazed, the deck plays to win)
I think you underestimate the power of the sycophant. Also, as for the random card bit? Getting the perfect card for the thing you just played on happens all the time in those games, after all.
Old 31st December 2020, 05:54 AM   #3137
Fast Eddie B
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
There's no such thing as residents of Mar-a-Lago. It is a huge mansion that was converted into a private club. Nobody lives there (at the moment).

I stand corrected. Thanks.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 09:19 AM   #3138
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Silly Green Monkey View Post
Everyone I know who plays frequently has said that Rando Cardrissian wins more often than one might think.

I have often proposed the "Aw, Man!" rule, where if one replaces a card and thinks it's a better answer than what they just played, they can risk an existing point to swap it in. So far nobody else wanted to have that as a rule.

Last edited by gnome; 31st December 2020 at 09:21 AM.
gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 09:48 AM   #3139
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by figarot View Post
Jan. 6th is also Eric Trump's birthday. Is Donald loco enough to promise his son a hellava day for his birthday (with something devious/sinister in mind)?
Does Donald know it's the stupidest son's birthday?
Old 31st December 2020, 10:12 AM   #3140
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

So, here are some people you should feel sorry for... Or maybe not...

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump decided at short notice to abandon his Mar-a-Lago club before a lavish New Year's Eve party....The Huffington Post reported in 2018 that tickets to the party had cost about $1,000.... The party was organized despite surging coronavirus cases in the US.

Hard to think of what is more... questionable....
- Being a Trump supporter in the first place (so much that you would shell out money to go to a party he was hosting)
- Going to a large gathering, hosted by an idiot who has participated in multiple covid Super Spreader events (so you're risking your life to go to it)

And at the end of the day, you end up not being able to meet Trump after all.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 10:22 AM   #3141
Aridas

Another development on one of the many horrors of the Trump Administration.

ICE has known for years that gynecologist was abusing detained immigrants, lawsuit alleges

Knew and...

Quote:
“When women detained at ICDC went on hunger strike, Respondents rationed or threatened to ration their access to water, took money out of their commissary accounts, and limited or cut off their access to phones, tablets, video calls and email,” the complaint said, stating that officials even stooped to delaying prescribed medications. “In addition to limiting phone access, Respondents systematically monitored outgoing phone calls, abruptly cutting the line when Petitioners and other detainees mentioned hunger strikes or medical treatment or spoke with reporters.”

Officials further used the ultimate threat against detained women: deportation. “Respondents have further retaliated against and attempted to silence Petitioners by deporting or attempting to deport them in retaliation for their speech or attempted speech about the abuses they have suffered at Respondents’ hands,” the complaint continues. In the case of Jaromy Jazmín Floriano Navarro and Jane Doe #31, both “were deported within a day after they spoke out or confirmed that they had spoken out about medical abuses at ICDC.”​
Acted as accomplices.
Old 31st December 2020, 10:31 AM   #3142
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

ICE has known for years that gynecologist was abusing detained immigrants, lawsuit alleges
But.... but... Trump is the Law and Order president. He has told is that for years.

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 10:40 AM   #3143
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump decided at short notice to abandon his Mar-a-Lago club before a lavish New Year's Eve party....The Huffington Post reported in 2018 that tickets to the party had cost about $1,000.... The party was organized despite surging coronavirus cases in the US.

- Being a Trump supporter in the first place (so much that you would shell out money to go to a party he was hosting)
- Going to a large gathering, hosted by an idiot who has participated in multiple covid Super Spreader events (so you're risking your life to go to it)

Maybe they didn't sell many tickets and that's why he's skedaddled.

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post

Knew and...

Acted as accomplices.
Biden's got his work cut out trying to get ICE et al under control.
Old 31st December 2020, 11:08 AM   #3144
figarot
Muse

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
Does Donald know it's the stupidest son's birthday?
When it comes to his children I would only expect him to know Ivanka's birthday, thus Eric would need to remind him, knowing it would naturally take a backseat to the other important event happening that day.

But, play along now, would Donald, informed it was his stupidest son's birthday, figure the best gift would be for Eric to remain a first son a little longer?

Not that that would be his main reason for any shenanigans some days from now.
figarot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 11:16 AM   #3145
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

But.... but... Trump is the Law and Order president. He has told is that for years.
Abusing immigrants is a feature, not a bug. It's the sort of thing that gets the Trump supporters out to the polls.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 11:19 AM   #3146
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
Yes he admits he is talking about nominations when he says “they gave me a Nobel Peace Prize,” but he immediately follows that with “I don’t know, I don’t know.” WTF is that supposed to mean?
It gives him an “I was just joking” out if anyone were to call him on the claim.
Old 31st December 2020, 11:35 AM   #3147
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Quote:
President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump decided at short notice to abandon his Mar-a-Lago club before a lavish New Year's Eve party...
Maybe they didn't sell many tickets and that's why he's skedaddled.
Quite possibly.

Or maybe he realized that he might have people saying "sorry you lost the election" (even done as a genuine show of sympathy, that would still irritate him.)

We are Groot - Groot
Old 31st December 2020, 12:47 PM   #3148
Silly Green Monkey
Cowardly Lurking in the Shadows of Greatness

Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Everyone I know who plays frequently has said that Rando Cardrissian wins more often than one might think.

I have often proposed the "Aw, Man!" rule, where if one replaces a card and thinks it's a better answer than what they just played, they can risk an existing point to swap it in. So far nobody else wanted to have that as a rule.
We've used that rule before, with restrictions that the draw must replace your previous offering which becomes 'random' and if your first offering is chosen, Random wins instead of you. I think if I had to wager a already won black card I wouldn't do it either, you might have more takers if the risk is a little less steep.
Old 31st December 2020, 12:56 PM   #3149
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

But they get their money back, right?

BWAHAHAHAHA I actually thought I could say it without laughing.

Last edited by Ladewig; 31st December 2020 at 12:57 PM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 01:39 PM   #3150
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post
But they get their money back, right?

BWAHAHAHAHA I actually thought I could say it without laughing.
My guess is the cost of the tickets would be labeled as a "Donation", so no chance of that.
Old 31st December 2020, 03:06 PM   #3151
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

In Georgia, Perdue is in Quarantine because of exposure to Covid from a campaign worker.
No appreanrence with Donnie on Monday.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 31st December 2020, 03:20 PM   #3152
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Thanks for that : I notice that Wiki puts "use agreement" in quotes, which suggests they're unsure what that means from the perspective of the Town of Palm Beach. What authority do Towns have in Florida? I don't expect an answer, but I'm sure if Rudi was let loose on this he'd demolish it in seconds.

Not sure about Florida in particular, but in general municipalities have a great deal of latitude and control over land use and zoning. The difference between residential and commercial land use is among the most fundamental of issues relating to such jurisdiction.

I have to think that they have quite a bit of authority, at least so far as this sort of question is concerned.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 03:34 PM   #3153
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

In Georgia, Perdue is in Quarantine because of exposure to Covid from a campaign worker.
No appreanrence with Donnie on Monday.

I'd bet there's a better than 50% chance he'll break quarantine to try to attend. How could he not, with all the "tough guy" rhetoric the Republicans have been spewing about COVID? "I ain't voting for no wimp RINO who let's the gubbiment tell him to stay home instead of hangin' out with TRUMP!"
Old 31st December 2020, 03:40 PM   #3154
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
Not sure about Florida in particular, but in general municipalities have a great deal of latitude and control over land use and zoning. The difference between residential and commercial land use is among the most fundamental of issues relating to such jurisdiction.

I have to think that they have quite a bit of authority, at least so far as this sort of question is concerned.
The town absolutely has the authority to stop Trump from living there. But they will have to use teeth to enforce it. And despite what we've heard on the news, no one is speaking out publicly against Trump living there. Someone will have to take him to court. But the more they dawdle, Trump's position is improved.
Old 31st December 2020, 03:59 PM   #3155
Tero
Master Poster

With Trump arriving to party with Proud Boys on the 6th, it looks more and more like the end will be like the parody video with the desk:
https://mobile.twitter.com/PaulLeeTe...02815464263681

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 04:46 PM   #3156
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My guess is the cost of the tickets would be labeled as a "Donation", so no chance of that.
I’m quite confident that the tickets are labeled “donation - but not tax deductible.
Old 31st December 2020, 04:50 PM   #3157
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Why is he back in the Oval Office tonight? What is he planning?
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 04:54 PM   #3158
Babbylonian
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
To skip the party in Florida, which he believed would humiliate him. Ruining his staff's holiday is likely a bonus.
Old 31st December 2020, 05:10 PM   #3159
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

I forgot, likely because it's an unconfirmed tv entertainment show segment...
Last week I saw a report that T and Melanie had feelers out for a mansion near or adjacent to MaL. Options were in the 7000sqft/~$40m range.
Why? Because the living quarters at MaL are too small at ~2500sqft (and Donnie lost his **** over Mel's redecorating)... certainly NOT because T has accepted that Palm Beach won't let him live there full time.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 31st December 2020, 05:39 PM   #3160
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
What makes you think he is capable of planning?

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
To skip the party in Florida, which he believed would humiliate him. Ruining his staff's holiday is likely a bonus.
Insufficient tickets sold to the Florida Shindig.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics