IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 01:25 PM   #3201
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

A first for Trump, Senate votes to override his veto on the NDAA by 81-13.

No votes:
Booker (D-NJ)
Braun (R-IN)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cruz (R-TX)
Hawley (R-MO)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lee (R-UT)
Markey (D-MA)
Merkley (D-OR)
Paul (R-KY)
Sanders (I-VT)
Warren (D-MA)
Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 6
Gardner (R-CO)
Graham (R-SC)
Jones (D-AL)
Loeffler (R-GA)
Perdue (R-GA)
Sasse (R-NE)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...00292#position

lol at Graham and Loeffler, profiles in courage.

Last edited by Firestone; 1st January 2021 at 01:28 PM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:35 PM   #3202
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
A first for Trump, Senate votes to override his veto on the NDAA by 81-13.

No votes:
Booker (D-NJ)
Braun (R-IN)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cruz (R-TX)
Hawley (R-MO)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lee (R-UT)
Markey (D-MA)
Merkley (D-OR)
Paul (R-KY)
Sanders (I-VT)
Warren (D-MA)
Wyden (D-OR)

Not Voting - 6
Gardner (R-CO)
Graham (R-SC)
Jones (D-AL)
Loeffler (R-GA)
Perdue (R-GA)
Sasse (R-NE)

https://www.senate.gov/legislative/L...00292#position

lol at Graham and Loeffler, profiles in courage.
He's gonna be pissed. So, what's he going to do? We know he's going to do something to retaliate (besides an angry Tweet).
Old 1st January 2021, 01:39 PM   #3203
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
They won’t be quiet. I’m assuming they are now dusting off their “deficient out of control” slogans, finding where they’d put their “repeal Obama care” placards, and their flash cards of “disrespecting the office of the presidency” offences.
To be fair, you can despise Trump and think the Deficit is out of control.
Or do you think it's not a problem?

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:39 PM   #3204
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
He's gonna be pissed. So, what's he going to do? We know he's going to do something to retaliate (besides an angry Tweet).
There are those nice Georgia runoffs. Shame if something happened to them. I mean, something bad for republicans.

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Problem is that deficit is problem for republicans only when they aren't in power.

Last edited by Mader Levap; 1st January 2021 at 01:40 PM.
Mader Levap is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:42 PM   #3205
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
Sure. Trump will still be a force in the republican party over the next couple years. These asshats don't need to worry just about getting re-elected, but they, more importantly, need to worry about primary challengers in less than 2 years. If their challengers can make an argument that they didn't do enough to stop the Biden admin, then they are vulnerable.
This whole fiasco just confirms my already devout belief we need Term Limits.
IBeing a COngressman was never intended to be a lifetime job. If people know they would only be there for a few years, they might not be so obssesed with being relelected.
Yes, I know the argument that it means ex congressmen would become lobbyist quicker,and that is not a good thing, but people being willing to endanger democracy just to be reelected is a lot worse.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 01:44 PM   #3206
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
There are those nice Georgia runoffs. Shame if something happened to them. I mean, something bad for republicans.

Problem is that deficit is problem for republicans only when they aren't in power.
Oh I am not dneying that the GOP has been incredibly hypocritical on this issue, but to dismiss it as a non problem or just a political talking point is wrong.
Niether party, bluntly, has covered itself in glory where the deficit is concerned.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st January 2021, 01:46 PM   #3207
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Yea, I wonder if simply abstaing from a vote will be considered insufficent loyalty by Trump.
But one good thing;no more US Bases named after traitors.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st January 2021, 02:24 PM   #3208
rdaneel
Illuminator

Yea, I wonder if simply abstaing from a vote will be considered insufficent loyalty by Trump.
Yes, in fact, one of those bases should be named after this Revolutionary war hero.

Baron Friedrich von Steuben
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:30 PM   #3209
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Name some bases after Presidents.

But not Trump.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:31 PM   #3210
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Our Republican Senate just missed the opportunity to get rid of Section 230, which gives unlimited power to Big Tech companies. Pathetic!!! Now they want to give people ravaged by the China Virus $600, rather than the $2000 which they so desperately need. Not fair, or smart!

@FoxNews Weekend Daytime is not watchable. Switching over to @OANN!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:32 PM   #3211
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Isn't it about time we name one after a woman? For example:

Rear Admiral Grace Brewster Murray Hopper World War II, Korean War, Vietnam

Col. Ruby Bradley World War II and Korean War

https://www.military.com/history/7-b...y-history.html
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:34 PM   #3212
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
Hey, to be fair, that's what he is SUPPOSED to do. Upon exposure to someone who is positive, you are supposed to quarantine for 14 days.

Whether he has been that way until now, I don't know. But its the right thing to do.
I'm self-isolating because the physical therapist who worked with my mom in her apartment tested positive Dec. 31. Her last contact with him was Dec. 22. They're only making it 10 days, though.

My aunt and uncle, both in their 80s, have Covid-19 but appear to be recovering. She was kind of a denier but I think she got pretty sick. Between them they probably have every pre-existing condition known to man ...

Last edited by Minoosh; 1st January 2021 at 02:46 PM.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:36 PM   #3213
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Our Republican Senate just missed the opportunity to get rid of Section 230, which gives unlimited power to Big Tech companies. Pathetic!!! Now they want to give people ravaged by the China Virus $600, rather than the $2000 which they so desperately need. Not fair, or smart!

Fake News All the Time!
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:41 PM   #3214
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post

Oh definitely, all ten of the bases being renamed should come from a list of significant women, minorities, LGBTQ.
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:42 PM   #3215
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

This whole fiasco just confirms my already devout belief we need Term Limits.
IBeing a COngressman was never intended to be a lifetime job. If people know they would only be there for a few years, they might not be so obssesed with being relelected.
Yes, I know the argument that it means ex congressmen would become lobbyist quicker,and that is not a good thing, but people being willing to endanger democracy just to be reelected is a lot worse.
I agree with term limits, but I wouldn't want them to be too short - there is something to be said for having people who know how government works and have formed professional relationships with their colleagues (in theory). Two terms for senators,4 for the house. 12 and 8 years max respectively seems appropriate to me.

Last edited by bonzombiekitty; 1st January 2021 at 02:46 PM.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:44 PM   #3216
bonzombiekitty
Graduate Poster

Grace Hopper is where we got my daughter's middle name from.
bonzombiekitty is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:44 PM   #3217
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Good grief. Don't people wonder about now much time he spends watching television?

Still getting dinged by Fox? He must be in pain. Wonder if any of his favorites will peel away in the next 5 days. Reality has to prevail sooner or later, doesn't it?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 02:51 PM   #3218
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Oh I am not dneying that the GOP has been incredibly hypocritical on this issue, but to dismiss it as a non problem or just a political talking point is wrong.
Niether party, bluntly, has covered itself in glory where the deficit is concerned.
Why do you say that? The deficits always decrease when a Democrat is in the White House. At least in the last few decades.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:09 PM   #3219
eerok
Quixoticist

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Good grief. Don't people wonder about now much time he spends watching television?
It hardly leaves him enough time to cheat at golf. He doesn't have anything else to do, though. It's not as if he ever spent much time presidenting.
Old 1st January 2021, 03:16 PM   #3220
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Yea, I wonder if simply abstain[in]g from a vote will be considered insuffic[i]ent loyalty by Trump.
I'm guessing he may cancel his trip to Georgia since Perdue and Loeffler didn't vote for him.

But not Trump.
Nah, he's already got a base.
Old 1st January 2021, 03:27 PM   #3221
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

But it is a political talking point, so long as they won't admit their billion- and trillion-dollar tax cuts for the rich and corporations are part of the problem, which they've denied for decades now.

I'm all for having a serious discussion of the debt and deficit, but it's become clear that the Republicans simply aren't interested in that. Nothing they've done for the last 40 years suggests that they actually intend to do anything other than use the debt as a political talking point.
Old 1st January 2021, 03:30 PM   #3222
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

But not Trump.

I for one would be proud to serve at Fort Definitely Not Named Trump. "Naughty Trump" as those in the know call it.
Old 1st January 2021, 03:32 PM   #3223
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Trump Tweets

Finished off the year with the highest Stock Market in history. Setting records with your 401k’s, just like I said you would. Congratulations to all!

What, it didn't crash as soon as Biden was elected like Trump said it would?

Nope.

And ... you might want to sit down for this, the shock could be too much for you ... Covid19 didn't disappear right after the election, either.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 03:59 PM   #3224
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Lin Wood, whose elevator most defnently does not got up to the top floor, is demanding that Pence be executed for treason.
This is the kind of attonrey that Trump was reduced to hiring....

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st January 2021, 04:01 PM   #3225
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I agree with term limits, but I wouldn't want them to be too short - there is something to be said for having people who know how government works and have formed professional relationships with their colleagues (in theory). Two terms for senators,4 for the house. 12 and 8 years max respectively seems appropriate to me.
I would go with Five terms..Ten Years for the house and two terms..12 years for the Senate.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st January 2021, 04:03 PM   #3226
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Yes, in fact, one of those bases should be named after this Revolutionary war hero.

Baron Friedrich von Steuben
I am big on Ft. Bragg being renamed either Fort Gavin or Fort Ridgway,since Bragg's main function is as home of the US Army's Airborne forces and Jim Gavin and Matt Ridgeway were the outstanding US Paratroop generals of World War 2.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:25 PM   #3227
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
We'll see how it works out. I've been thinking about what should the best response for the Democrats be?
If I was Pelosi or Schumer I'd tell my caucus to sit quietly and not say a word. When the vote is called, simply vote to accept the delegation. One just cannot have a rational, fact-based dialog with these nuts so why bother?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 05:28 PM   #3228
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Because of the Trump Administration, hospitals are now required, effective immediately, to publish their REAL PRICES, which will create competition and drive downs costs MASSIVELY. Won lawsuit last week. Bigger than healthcare, it’s called PRICE TRANSPARENCY....

....Please remember who got it done!!!
Old 1st January 2021, 05:29 PM   #3229
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tetweeted

Donald Trump Jr.
@DonaldJTrumpJr
Alec Baldwin should play Alec Baldwin when SNL parodies his wife pretending she’s Spanish for the last few decades as opposed to the basic white girl from Mass that she actually is.

It would be the first funny thing Saturday Night Live has produced in years.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:30 PM   #3230
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Are people from Spain not 'white'?
Old 1st January 2021, 05:30 PM   #3231
SezMe
post-pre-born

Then they are deluded. Do they think that professing loyalty to Trump in two years time will be an advatage?
Probably, and with good reason. Trump liked campaigning more than the job itself. He's gonna be out hustling for his vocal supporters and will damn sure find people to run against the incumbents in the primaries who he believes let him down.

ETA: Already covered by others.

Last edited by SezMe; 1st January 2021 at 05:42 PM.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 05:31 PM   #3232
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Republicans should have gotten rid of Section 230 in the Defense Bill, and you wouldn’t have had this problem. Never learn!!!
Quote Tweet

The Senate Majority
@NRSC
Big Tech is at it again.

Facebook has shut down the ad account for the Georgia Battleground Fund, a joint fundraising committee for NRSC, @Perduesenate, and @kloeffler.

This is unacceptable with only 4 days to Election Day.

Go to http://GABattleground.com to help us fight back.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:32 PM   #3233
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I would go with Five terms..Ten Years for the house and two terms..12 years for the Senate.
All presidents should serve two terms.

One in office, and one in prison.

... I'll see myself out.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 05:34 PM   #3234
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Only because Biden got very few votes, just like the Election!
Election officials have certified Joe Biden as the winner of the U.S. Presidential election
Quote Tweet

Donald Trump Jr.
@DonaldJTrumpJr
Trump ends Obama's 12-year run as most admired man: Gallup | TheHill https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...red-man-gallup
Old 1st January 2021, 05:36 PM   #3235
SezMe
post-pre-born

This whole fiasco just confirms my already devout belief we need Term Limits. <snip>
California has had state-level term limits for quite a while. Have you noticed an improvement in the practice of politics in our state? I haven't.

Last edited by SezMe; 1st January 2021 at 05:43 PM.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:45 PM   #3236
eerok
Quixoticist

Are people from Spain not 'white'?
In America they're "Hispanic", which is not the same as white.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:53 PM   #3237
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
In America they're "Hispanic", which is not the same as white.
While technically Hispanic can be Spanish, Americans overwhelmingly think of it as being Latin American. Spaniards are as 'white' as any other European.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:59 PM   #3238
eerok
Quixoticist

While technically Hispanic can be Spanish, Americans overwhelmingly think of it as being Latin American. Spaniards are as 'white' as any other European.
I remember reading an observation by Antonio Banderas, who was born in Spain, that he was not considered white in America.
Old 1st January 2021, 05:59 PM   #3239
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Thought that was “Latino”?
Old 1st January 2021, 06:17 PM   #3240
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
All presidents should serve two terms.

One in office, and one in prison.

... I'll see myself out.
Nonsense.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics