IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Closed Thread
Old 1st January 2021, 06:27 PM   #3241
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I remember reading an observation by Antonio Banderas, who was born in Spain, that he was not considered white in America.
The "W" in "WASP" is redundant - Anglo-Saxon and Protestant define White. Even Catholic Irish fail the Teuton Test, as do Mediterraneans generally. I think any Klansmen here will back me up on that.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 07:04 PM   #3242
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Down in AndalusŪa you see quite a bit of Moorish genetic influence.

ETA: Only place in Spain I've ever seen.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 07:21 PM   #3243
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
What, it didn't crash as soon as Biden was elected like Trump said it would?
Impossible, right? More proof that Trump actually won!!1!!11!!
Old 1st January 2021, 07:37 PM   #3244
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I mean on January 6th with this **** show the GOP is planning.
My thoughts on that matter are, after the idiots go though with this farce and see it isn't going anywhere, that people start coming down hard on them with the responsibility they all have for hundreds of thousands of COVID deaths.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 07:45 PM   #3245
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
But it is a political talking point, so long as they won't admit their billion- and trillion-dollar tax cuts for the rich and corporations are part of the problem, which they've denied for decades now.

I'm all for having a serious discussion of the debt and deficit, but it's become clear that the Republicans simply aren't interested in that. Nothing they've done for the last 40 years suggests that they actually intend to do anything other than use the debt as a political talking point.
YES!
Old 1st January 2021, 08:09 PM   #3246
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Lin Wood, whose elevator most defnently does not got up to the top floor, is demanding that Pence be executed for treason.
This is the kind of attonrey that Trump was reduced to hiring....

Credit where it's due, Lin Wood found something to say that was so stupid, I had to Google it to see if this was real. After everything we've seen these last two months, that's actually quite an accomplishment.

It is, of course, real.

And it gets worse. He goes on to list a whole lot of people and organizations that are in cahoots with the Chinese Communist Party, and who "aspire to the goals of communism". He includes the Republican Party as a whole in that list.
Old 1st January 2021, 08:13 PM   #3247
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bonzombiekitty View Post
I agree with term limits, but I wouldn't want them to be too short - there is something to be said for having people who know how government works and have formed professional relationships with their colleagues (in theory). Two terms for senators,4 for the house. 12 and 8 years max respectively seems appropriate to me.
And a single six-year term for president.
Old 1st January 2021, 08:26 PM   #3248
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump tweets

... Facebook has shut down the ad account for the Georgia Battleground Fund, a joint fundraising committee for NRSC, @Perduesenate, and @kloeffler. ...
Sounds like this might be the reason why:

NYT: The latest attacks on Raphael Warnock take a key phrase out of context.
Quote:
Her attack has been bolstered by a multimillion-dollar ad buy promoting a fallacious video of Mr. Warnock that uses the same out-of-context footage.
Or maybe something to do with this: (scroll down)
Quote:
Facebook lifts ban on political ads for Georgia runoff elections.

Facebook said on Tuesday that it would allow some advertisers to run political issue and candidacy ads in Georgia, a change from its recent ban on political ads in the United States and just weeks before a major runoff election in the state could decide the future of the Senate.

Beginning Wednesday morning, Facebook said it would allow authorized advertisers to buy and run political ads targeted to people within Georgia. Only those previously authorized to run such ads on the platform will be permitted, a process that involves identity verification and other safety measures. Facebookís ban on political ads will otherwise remain in effect for the remaining 49 states.
Could it be the ads were placed by sources that refused to be forthcoming about who they were?
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:36 PM   #3249
Modified
Philosopher

Originally Posted by eerok View Post
I remember reading an observation by Antonio Banderas, who was born in Spain, that he was not considered white in America.
Give him an American accent and American facial expressions and he would be though.
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:56 PM   #3250
turingtest
Mistral, mistral wind...

Lin Wood, whose elevator most defnently does not got up to the top floor, is demanding that Pence be executed for treason.
This is the kind of attonrey that Trump was reduced to hiring....
Oh, that elevator gets to the top floor alright- his problem is that it doesn't stop there, there are more floors in his building than were ever actually built into it.

Life was a short shelf that came with bookends- Stephen King
turingtest is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 08:57 PM   #3251
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Modified View Post
Give him an American accent and American facial expressions and he would be though.
...the gate back into communist Mexico where he came from.

...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 09:38 PM   #3252
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

To be fair, you can despise Trump and think the Deficit is out of control.
Or do you think it's not a problem?
You're saying that... a person can be a Democrat?

As others have poked at, though, the deficit/debt is an issue that deserves much of the attention given to it primarily because of the incredible hypocrisy and bad faith that the GOP political class uses it with. For all their grandstanding (which overwhelmingly happens when Democrats are in power/money would be heading towards blue states), they very consistently show utter disdain for the principles they espoused when they were not in power, once they have the power to act upon them. Democrats are certainly not perfect on that front, of course, but like so much else, as a Party, Democrats fairly consistently show that they're actually *trying* to act in good faith and principle with their actions.

Last edited by Aridas; 1st January 2021 at 09:41 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 10:31 PM   #3253
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Down in AndalusŪa you see quite a bit of Moorish genetic influence.

ETA: Only place in Spain I've ever seen.
Classic exclusivity of white wielded in much of the U.S.

Other countries and continents...meh, all the same.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 1st January 2021, 11:20 PM   #3254
dirtywick
Illuminator

iím in the fence about the deficit. the ones most concerned about it also believe in supply side economics. in reality the US has experienced a lot of economic growth it otherwise would not have due to deficit spending.

I mean I understand that thereís a point where the US canít make itís interest payment which would be bad. but Iím also aware that point is a moving target and itís also possible GDP growth and tax adjustments can sustain deficit spending indefinitely. Itís also likely that balancing the budget and cutting spending would shrink the economy to the point that itís more harmful than continued deficit spending.
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:14 AM   #3255
Aridas

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
i’m in the fence about the deficit. the ones most concerned about it also believe in supply side economics. in reality the US has experienced a lot of economic growth it otherwise would not have due to deficit spending.

I mean I understand that there’s a point where the US can’t make it’s interest payment which would be bad. but I’m also aware that point is a moving target and it’s also possible GDP growth and tax adjustments can sustain deficit spending indefinitely. It’s also likely that balancing the budget and cutting spending would shrink the economy to the point that it’s more harmful than continued deficit spending.
I'd say that it's a bit more complicated than that, honestly. For example, actual investment spending vs spending that's pretty much just one-off giveaways that won't meaningfully benefit the country. Infrastructure, research, making sure that children have their basic needs met so they're likely to grow up as happy, healthy, contributing members of society, helping out adults who are hitting rough times so that they'll be able to stay on or get back on their feet, and stuff like that is probably best considered as investment when it comes to the deficit. Overall, it will more than pay itself off. The supply side proponents tend to push for the latter, though, which tends to end up just lining the pockets of their rich and powerful donors at a dramatically higher rate, while at the same time pushing to cut investment spending. Given the actual people behind those pushes, of course, it's generally not actually so much about the debt/deficit, but rather that they don't want what they consider "their money" being taken from them for the sake of the suckers they took it from... and about power, really, because the less time, attention, and ability that the average person can spare to advocate for themselves, the easier it is for the people pushing supply side economics to gain and maintain power over everyone else.

Also, internal debt is much less worthy of concern than external debt. There's something to be said about the benefits of paying interest to your own citizens, yes, at least the ones that will actually then use it and generate more tax income. Not so much when it comes to paying interest to foreign countries, as has apparently increasingly been the case, and, separately, paying interest to those who are already absurdly rich.

Last edited by Aridas; 2nd January 2021 at 12:18 AM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 02:24 AM   #3256
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Thought that was “Latino”?
Latino is anyone from Latin America aka Latin American.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:05 AM   #3257
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

The US Congress has overturned President Donald Trump's veto of a defence spending bill, the first time this has happened in his presidency.

The Republican-controlled Senate held a rare New Year's Day session to debate the move, which had already been voted for by the House of Representatives.

The $740bn (£549bn) bill will fund defence policy for the year to come.

Mr Trump, who leaves office in a few weeks, objected to certain provisions in the bill.

The Senate voted 81-13 for the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) - a two-thirds majority is required to override a presidential veto in both chambers.

It comes just two days before a new US Congress is due to be sworn in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-55510151
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:37 AM   #3258
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

For historical purposes remember, I was able to get rid of the INDIVIDUAL MANDATE, the most unpopular and expensive part of ObamaCare. You are no longer forced to pay a fortune for the “privilege” of NOT getting bad healthcare. This ended ObamaCare as we knew it. Thank you!

TRANSPARENCY in medical pricing will be one of the biggest and most important things done for the American citizen. It was just put into service, January 1, against long odds and bitter opposition. Final lawsuits won last week. Enjoy all the extra money you will have!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 2nd January 2021 at 04:40 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:40 AM   #3259
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Trump Tweets

Our Republican Senate just missed the opportunity to get rid of Section 230, which gives unlimited power to Big Tech companies. Pathetic!!! Now they want to give people ravaged by the China Virus $600, rather than the $2000 which they so desperately need. Not fair, or smart!

@FoxNews Weekend Daytime is not watchable. Switching over to @OANN!
So little time, so much TV to watch.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:51 AM   #3260
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
Yes, in fact, one of those bases should be named after this Revolutionary war hero.

Baron Friedrich von Steuben
I remember the name from grade school, but they didn’t mention that he threw a party for the junior officers with the condition that none will be admitted while wearing a complete set of breeches.

Name some bases after Presidents.

But not Trump.
You’re thinking too short term.
What until a base is scheduled to be closed and then name it after Trump.

Last edited by Ladewig; 2nd January 2021 at 04:56 AM.
Ladewig is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:12 AM   #3261
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

The Senate voted 81-13 for the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) - a two-thirds majority is required to override a presidential veto in both chambers.

Next Trumpublican argument - "This means they didn't override the veto! That's a four-fifths majority, not two-thirds! Read the rules!"
Old 2nd January 2021, 05:23 AM   #3262
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
So little time, so much TV to watch.
I like how he spent time to send out a tweet that he changed the channel on his TV
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:15 AM   #3263
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Will be in Georgia on Monday night, 9:00 P.M. to RALLY for two GREAT people, @sendavidperdue & @KLoeffler. GET READY TO VOTE ON TUESDAY!!!
Old 2nd January 2021, 07:45 AM   #3264
Aridas

*sigh*

Trump Appointee Seeks Lasting Control Over Radio Free Europe, Radio Free Asia

Quote:
Pack, the CEO of the U.S. Agency for Global Media, also serves as chairman of the boards of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty and Radio Free Asia. Pack and the members of the boards have now added binding contractual agreements intended to ensure that they cannot be removed for the next two years. They could be removed only "for cause" subsequently. Pack stocked those boards with conservative activists and Trump administration officials, despite a tradition of bipartisanship.

In other words, although President-elect Joe Biden has already signaled he intends to replace Pack as CEO of the parent agency soon after taking office in January, Pack would maintain a significant degree of control over the networks. Pack and USAGM declined requests for comment.

NPR has reviewed the language of the contracts, which have yet to be signed by the new presidents of the two networks — both of whom were appointed by Pack this month. The Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty contract was slated to be approved on Wednesday but appears to have been withdrawn from consideration after internal objections and inquiries from congressional aides, NPR and other media. It is unclear what the future holds for the initiative from Pack.
Old 2nd January 2021, 11:07 AM   #3265
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Trump Tweets

MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

Will be in Georgia on Monday night, 9:00 P.M. to RALLY for two GREAT people, @sendavidperdue & @KLoeffler. GET READY TO VOTE ON TUESDAY!!!
Whatís the point - wonít Biden simply steal this election as well?
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:23 PM   #3266
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Aridas View Post
Good to see that someone is stepping up to liberate the EU.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:33 PM   #3267
Aridas

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Good to see that someone is stepping up to liberate the EU.
Mmm. Pack is one of those Right-Wingers that I think should be best considered to be actively working to discredit the US in the eyes of the world, and is one of the far too many right-wing figures that I think have very much earned punishment and treatment as traitorous scum for his words and actions.
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:46 PM   #3268
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
i’m in the fence about the deficit. the ones most concerned about it also believe in supply side economics. in reality the US has experienced a lot of economic growth it otherwise would not have due to deficit spending.

I mean I understand that there’s a point where the US can’t make it’s interest payment which would be bad. but I’m also aware that point is a moving target and it’s also possible GDP growth and tax adjustments can sustain deficit spending indefinitely. It’s also likely that balancing the budget and cutting spending would shrink the economy to the point that it’s more harmful than continued deficit spending.
If tyou being trillion of dollasrs into debt is a good thing, you know nothing about economics or reality.

Robert Heinlein.

Last edited by dudalb; 2nd January 2021 at 12:47 PM.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:49 PM   #3269
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
California has had state-level term limits for quite a while. Have you noticed an improvement in the practice of politics in our state? I haven't.
I have. New blood is a good thing.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 12:50 PM   #3270
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Nonsense.
Your humor meter seem to be broken.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:26 PM   #3271
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Secretary Pompeo
@SecPompeo
US government account
We never, ever paid to get our people home. Appeasement invites more hostage-taking. We restored America's credibility. No more phony "redlines" or pallets of cash to dictators and bullies. #Realism #AmericansFirst
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:37 PM   #3272
dirtywick
Illuminator

If tyou being trillion of dollasrs into debt is a good thing, you know nothing about economics or reality.
man, i was debating on responding to this. pretty arrogant.

but, if you can get a higher return off of investment than the money you save on your interest payments, it's financially better to invest and carry the debt. people do this all the time when they invest in a 401k rather than paying off their low interest home loan, for instance.

does this principle not hold on a macroeconomics scale? if not, why not?
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:41 PM   #3273
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Trump Retweeted

Secretary Pompeo
@SecPompeo
US government account
We never, ever paid to get our people home. Appeasement invites more hostage-taking. We restored America's credibility. No more phony "redlines" or pallets of cash to dictators and bullies. #Realism #AmericansFirst
Is he referring to the return of Iran's own funds?
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornetsí nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:51 PM   #3274
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Retweeted

Secretary Pompeo
@SecPompeo
US government account
Has Pompeo arrested Pence and executed him yet?
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:54 PM   #3275
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Has Pompeo arrested Pence and executed him yet?
If Pence was dead...who could tell?
Old 2nd January 2021, 03:59 PM   #3276
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
If Pence was dead...who could tell?
Mother Wifey, presumably, as death would cause Pence to warm up to room temperature. She'd sense that during their weekly kiss on the cheek.
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:12 PM   #3277
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Mother Wifey, presumably, as death would cause Pence to warm up to room temperature. She'd sense that during their weekly kiss on the cheek.
ROWR!
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:44 PM   #3278
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Civil War: Tucker Carlson Hits His Own Network in Epic Post-Election Monologue

https://redstate.com/bonchie/2020/11...nlogue-n277737
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:45 PM   #3279
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wow, I guess it’s not good to go against a President who everyone in Georgia knows got you into office!
Quote Tweet

Robert C. Cahaly
@RobertCahaly
After @realDonaldTrump brought it up at his last #GA rally, our @trafalgar_group #GASen #Runoff #polls started asking #GOP voters about a potential #2022 #GAGOP #Primary for Governor. Results:
46.2% @RepDougCollins
6.3% Lean Collins
24.5% @BrianKempGA
7.3% Lean Kemp
15.6% Und
Old 2nd January 2021, 04:48 PM   #3280
Aridas

Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco Home Vandalized With Graffiti And A Pig's Head Over Stimulus

Quote:
Vandals left fake blood and a pig’s head in front of the garage of House Speaker Nancy Pelosi’s (D-Calif.) San Francisco home early Friday morning. A message sprayed on the door demanded $2,000, apparently referring to COVID-19 stimulus checks.

″$2K. Cancel Rent. We want everything,” read the black graffiti on the Pacific Heights garage.
Classy. Combined with the sorta anarchy symbol, I'm going to say it was almost certainly a right-winger being thoroughly uncivilized.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics