IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags joe biden , Kamala Harris , nancy pelosi

Old 30th October 2020, 07:08 PM   #41
RolandRat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Never mind. Misread the post.
Aw now I'm curious, you said bacon didn't you? Bacon is always the answer.
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:08 PM   #42
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Is Hunter another one of these NWO types that is simultaneously clever enough to pull off world wide nefarious schemes but stupid enough to take a laptop with incriminating evidence on it to a computer shop and then forget to collect it?
Yeah...just like Amanda Knox. Clever enough to clean up all her and her boyfriend's invisible DNA and fingerprints from the murder bedroom (leaving only Guede's) but not only stupid enough leave her visible blood in the bathroom but to point it and 'Sollecito's' footprint in the victim's blood out to the police. Sheesh. They want to have it both ways: the incredibly clever yet incredibly stupid criminal.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:09 PM   #43
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Aw now I'm curious, you said bacon didn't you? Bacon is always the answer.
No. 42 is always the answer. But I prefer bacon. Extra crispy. I thought T. Monkey was saying Pete B was a Boomer. He wasn't.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 30th October 2020 at 07:10 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:21 PM   #44
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

No. 42 is always the answer. But I prefer bacon. Extra crispy. I thought T. Monkey was saying Pete B was a Boomer. He wasn't.
Yeah, that was written a little unclear. It's Friday evening, my customary eloquence which normally reigns gloriously o'er the orderly fields of my loquacity has ebbed, leaving me disconsolate.
Old 30th October 2020, 07:24 PM   #45
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It's interesting to me that I remember the election of Ronald Reagan, and his campaign for re-election. A heck of a lot was made of the fact that he was the oldest president ever.

I hardly ever hear it mentioned that Trump is the oldest President ever to take office.

And of course Biden will break that record by a long way. He'll be older on his first day in office than Reagan was on his last day in office.....assuming he gets a first day in office.

Not really. Trump is 74 and obviously unhealthy. Biden is 77 and generally healthy. Not very far apart. I might wish the Dems had nominated somebody younger, but I wish the Repubs had nominated anybody else. We've got what we've got.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:27 PM   #46
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Jungle Jim View Post
Presidents don't drive.
There are exceptions.
https://slate.com/human-interest/201...car-photo.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:29 PM   #47
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I think Pete B has a future in national politics. I'd like to see him run for the House or Senate and get some Federal experience under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run for POTUS again. He's brilliant.
Old 30th October 2020, 07:38 PM   #48
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
I didn't care much for Buttigieg when he was running, but in the last couple of months he's been delightfully sassy. I wouldn't be surprised if he throws his hat in the ring again, and I expect he'll meet with more success next time. I think whichever way this election goes, it's going to be the last of the Baby Boomers in that office.
I only really saw Buttiogieg in one of the primary debates. My impression form that was that he was a good speaker but seemed very scripted. I also don't see being mayor of South Bend Indiana as being the sort of high level executive experience i would like to see in a potential president. I haven't seen any of his recent stuff.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 07:43 PM   #49
CORed
Penultimate Amazing

I think Pete B has a future in national politics. I'd like to see him run for the House or Senate and get some Federal experience under his belt. I wouldn't be surprised to see him run for POTUS again. He's brilliant.
What I really like to see in a candidate for president is some experience as the chief executive of a large organization, such as governor of a state, general, or maybe CEO of a large corporation. Of course generals have a rather mixed record as president. Some have been pretty good, some have been horrible. A couple of the early ones (William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor) died too soon after taking office to really evaluate their abilities.
CORed is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 08:16 PM   #50
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CORed View Post
What I really like to see in a candidate for president is some experience as the chief executive of a large organization, such as governor of a state, general, or maybe CEO of a large corporation. Of course generals have a rather mixed record as president. Some have been pretty good, some have been horrible. A couple of the early ones (William Henry Harrison and Zachary Taylor) died too soon after taking office to really evaluate their abilities.
Governor of a large state would be great experience. But CEOs focus narrowly on making profits for stockholders, not the best training for public service. Imagine Rex Tillerson as president. And he's probably better equipped than most. Generals are accustomed to saying "Do this!," and being answered "Yessir!" Not much preparation for politics. Mattis might make a good president because of his exceptional personal qualities, not his stars. But Kelly, McMaster, Petraeus, McCrystal? Catastrophe.
Old 30th October 2020, 09:16 PM   #51
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I didn't care much for Buttigieg when he was running
Why did you not care much for Buttigieg?

I hope when Biden wins he get a good cabinet spot. If he gets a few years older and has some experience in federal government, I think he could be the 2024 nominee and President.

He is very sharp and quick. He knows what he is doing. But I think he needs some experience.
Old 30th October 2020, 09:23 PM   #52
dirtywick
Illuminator

Military life, especially for a general, is so different to civilian life that I don't think they really understand what it's like to be a civilian.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2020, 09:24 PM   #53
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

I hope when Biden wins he get a good cabinet spot. If he gets a few years older and has some experience in federal government, I think he could be the 2024 nominee and President.

He is very sharp and quick. He knows what he is doing. But I think he needs some experience.
I didn't always aree with his political stances but I think Pete as a politician is great. I am of the belief that if Pete wasn't gay, he'd be the Democratic nominee and Trump would be down by 20 points. No Democrat that I have seen goes on FOX and regularly wipe the floor with them. And he does it with a smile.
Old 30th October 2020, 09:26 PM   #54
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
Military life, especially for a general, is so different to civilian life that I don't think they really understand what it's like to be a civilian.
I agree with this, but what's the point? How is that relevant to Biden?
Old 30th October 2020, 11:54 PM   #55
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Governor of a large state would be great experience. But CEOs focus narrowly on making profits for stockholders, not the best training for public service. Imagine Rex Tillerson as president. And he's probably better equipped than most. Generals are accustomed to saying "Do this!," and being answered "Yessir!" Not much preparation for politics. Mattis might make a good president because of his exceptional personal qualities, not his stars. But Kelly, McMaster, Petraeus, McCrystal? Catastrophe.
Agreed. Being a governor is good experience. Being a general is not government experience nor is being a CEO.
Old 31st October 2020, 12:07 AM   #56
angrysoba
Philosophile

Anyway, Brainster, scanning this thread, the answer seems to me to be:

Nobody cares!

Trump is that bad that nobody cares what comes next.

I think Sam Harris said, back in 2016, if the choice was Donald Trump, or someone in America picked completely at random then he is going with Door Number 2.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 01:41 AM   #57
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

I didn't care much for Buttigieg when he was running, but in the last couple of months he's been delightfully sassy. I wouldn't be surprised if he throws his hat in the ring again, and I expect he'll meet with more success next time. I think whichever way this election goes, it's going to be the last of the Baby Boomers in that office.
If Biden wins, he will be the first president from the Silent generation.

Kamala Harris (born in 1964), is still a ... Baby Boomer (by 2 months, admittedly ).

Buttigieg is Generation X.
Old 31st October 2020, 05:30 AM   #58
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Mayor Pete would be a great choice for press secretary. That would give him a good national and international stage as well.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 06:08 AM   #59
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post

Should Biden win, he’ll be a one termer (due to age), after which it’ll be Kamala in 2024. She picks Pete for VP, then after eight years he goes for the glory.
Old 31st October 2020, 06:15 AM   #60
Foggy of the Fogbow
Thinker

Originally Posted by Regnad Kcin View Post
Should Biden win, he’ll be a one termer (due to age), after which it’ll be Kamala in 2024. She picks Pete for VP, then after eight years he goes for the glory.
Works for me.
Old 31st October 2020, 06:39 AM   #61
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Foggy of the Fogbow View Post
Works for me.
Another slightly less plausible scenario has a meteor strike taking out the entire world’s population save for Pete and Ivanka. They go neck and neck down the final stretch with the tie finally broken by the meteor.
Old 31st October 2020, 07:25 AM   #62
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Firestone View Post
If Biden wins, he will be the first president from the Silent generation.

Kamala Harris (born in 1964), is still a ... Baby Boomer (by 2 months, admittedly ).

Buttigieg is Generation X.
I go with the definition of Boomers that means post WW2 babies. Literally the baby boom from returning soldiers. Biden is the same generation as my parents. They're Boomers.
Old 31st October 2020, 07:30 AM   #63
angrysoba
Philosophile

I go with the definition of Boomers that means post WW2 babies. Literally the baby boom from returning soldiers. Biden is the same generation as my parents. They're Boomers.
Uhmmm Biden was born in 1942. I don't know his father's history, but which war was he returning from then?
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 07:52 AM   #64
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Biden's age might be factor if anyone that was ever even seriously considered was young. Trump's old. Bernie's old. Warren is old. The difference between 74 and 77 isn't that big of a deal.
If you compare an obese 74-year-old who can't string together coherent sentences or drink a glass of water with one hand and a trim 77-year-old who occasionally puts his foot in his mouth like he's alwsys done, the 74-year old probably isn't the top option healthwise.
Old 31st October 2020, 08:25 AM   #65
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Uhmmm Biden was born in 1942. I don't know his father's history, but which war was he returning from then?
I'm no mathematician, but it seems to me, upon first perusal, that 1942 is closer to 1945 than 1964 is to 1945. I'm comfortable assigning Biden to the Boomer generation, he has more in common with the most of them than he does with Harris, or Harris with the older Boomers.
Old 31st October 2020, 08:34 AM   #66
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
Mayor Pete would be a great choice for press secretary. That would give him a good national and international stage as well.
Press secretaries are nobodies. That's a dead-end job. Better to appoint him to the cabinet, or let him get ready to run for House or Senate in 2022.
Old 31st October 2020, 12:19 PM   #67
Venom
Illuminator

We will probably have zero pre-WWII candidates after Biden.

I expect candidates in the Baby Boomer range for another two election cycles.

There are already plenty of Millennials who can run, but probably won't. I expect the people between Millennials and Boomers to dominate the landscape for decades to come.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 12:23 PM   #68
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Press secretaries are nobodies. That's a dead-end job. Better to appoint him to the cabinet, or let him get ready to run for House or Senate in 2022.
Agreed.
Old 31st October 2020, 01:25 PM   #69
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
We will probably have zero pre-WWII candidates after Biden.

I expect candidates in the Baby Boomer range for another two election cycles.

There are already plenty of Millennials who can run, but probably won't. I expect the people between Millennials and Boomers to dominate the landscape for decades to come.
Yeah, because if there's one thing Gen X is known for, it's our deep, abiding ambition and desire to do stuff.
Old 31st October 2020, 01:35 PM   #70
angrysoba
Philosophile

I'm no mathematician, but it seems to me, upon first perusal, that 1942 is closer to 1945 than 1964 is to 1945. I'm comfortable assigning Biden to the Boomer generation, he has more in common with the most of them than he does with Harris, or Harris with the older Boomers.
Yeah, but closer to 1945 than 1964 makes him a Silent Generation not a Boomer.

Is there some weird Halloween tradition in the US where people in American just make irrelevant counter factual claims using weird logic and yet with a slightly patronizing tone for good measure:
“hey, Biden’s Canadian!”

“Say what?”

“I’m no cartographer but last I checked Delaware is closer to Canada than Ecuador, so he’s from Canada. You know, where Rick Moranis is from?”

Old 31st October 2020, 01:41 PM   #71
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah, but closer to 1945 than 1964 makes him a Silent Generation not a Boomer.

Is there some weird Halloween tradition in the US where people in American just make irrelevant counter factual claims using weird logic and yet with a slightly patronizing tone for good measure:
“hey, Biden’s Canadian!”

“Say what?”

“I’m no cartographer but last I checked Delaware is closer to Canada than Ecuador, so he’s from Canada. You know, where Rick Moranis is from?”
Sorry, I didn't realize that there were official and universally-accepted demarcation lines of who is and isn't considered part of a particular named "generation". Must be funny for Biden's siblings to be a different generation than their brother, despite sharing the same parents.

Before you can characterize something as "counter factual" you ought to be able to establish it as a fact, shouldn't you? And this business of named "generations" is hardly scientific. By its very nature it's fuzzy. Not even remotely the same thing as national borders which are indeed very, very established fact. With literal armies to back it up, in case of disagreements.
Old 31st October 2020, 01:52 PM   #72
dirtywick
Illuminator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I agree with this, but what's the point? How is that relevant to Biden?
lol nothing, just commenting on some other observations in the thread.
dirtywick is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2020, 01:56 PM   #73
angrysoba
Philosophile

Sorry, I didn't realize that there were official and universally-accepted demarcation lines of who is and isn't considered part of a particular named "generation". Must be funny for Biden's siblings to be a different generation than their brother, despite sharing the same parents.

Before you can characterize something as "counter factual" you ought to be able to establish it as a fact, shouldn't you? And this business of named "generations" is hardly scientific. By its very nature it's fuzzy. Not even remotely the same thing as national borders which are indeed very, very established fact. With literal armies to back it up, in case of disagreements.
I’m going with the definition that you used: “born post-WW2”:
And why should it be considered so ridiculous that siblings can be born in different generations?

Old 31st October 2020, 02:08 PM   #74
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I’m going with the definition that you used: “born post-WW2”:
And why should it be considered so ridiculous that siblings can be born in different generations?
Because that's what a generation is: your level on the family tree. Grandma, Grandpa, Great Uncle Josephette, and Great Auntie Boopsie are one generation; your parents, Uncle Fats, Uncle Gerald, and Aunt Little Boopsie are the next generation; you, your sister, your brother, and your cousins Melissa and Karyn-Mehghan are the third generation.

Do you think your brother becomes your uncle just because a particular year falls into the age gap between you?
Old 31st October 2020, 02:15 PM   #75
angrysoba
Philosophile

Because that's what a generation is: your level on the family tree. Grandma, Grandpa, Great Uncle Josephette, and Great Auntie Boopsie are one generation; your parents, Uncle Fats, Uncle Gerald, and Aunt Little Boopsie are the next generation; you, your sister, your brother, and your cousins Melissa and Karyn-Mehghan are the third generation.

Do you think your brother becomes your uncle just because a particular year falls into the age gap between you?
Huh? You can be older than your uncle. How does it work then?

Anyway, fine, if you want to define it that way and argue that because Biden’s siblings were boomers then he must be too, but don’t be surprised if you cause confusion when you are now changing the very definition you used to begin with. You don’t even acknowledge that you explicitly used a definition before of being born post-WW2, you just slide Trump-like into saying something completely different.

Old 31st October 2020, 02:19 PM   #76
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Agreed. Being a governor is good experience. Being a general is not government experience nor is being a CEO.
Let's see, 12 Presidents were Generals. Seems like Generals have done OK.
Old 31st October 2020, 02:23 PM   #77
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Huh? You can be older than your uncle. How does it work then?
And being older than your uncle doesn't make him part of your generation on your family tree, nor you part of his.

Quote:
Anyway, fine, if you want to define it that way and argue that because Biden’s siblings were boomers then he must be too,
That's not the reason I consider Biden a Boomer, it was an illustration meant to show how ridiculous it is to try to define generations with hard lines on particular years. The concept of named "generations" exists simply to categorize a bunch of people of roughly the same age as having characteristics in common. Biden has more in common with the Boomers than he does with the previous "generation". That's what I'm saying.

Quote:
but don’t be surprised if you cause confusion when you are now changing the very definition you used to begin with. You don’t even acknowledge that you explicitly used a definition before of being born post-WW2, you just slide Trump-like into saying something completely different.
Yeah, I'm sure that because this is a court case everyone will leap to agree with you that I am just like Trump because I consider Biden to be a Boomer, his age being close enough to the fuzzy borders generally applied to that non-scientific categorization.

Also, I call stuff "champagne" even if it wasn't made in one particular region of France! I (this will shock you, I'm sure) also refer to a particular foodstuff as "Jello" even when it's not Jello brand gelatin!
Old 31st October 2020, 02:25 PM   #78
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Yeah, but most of those were old-timey presidents. Eisenhower was the most recent, right? And that was quite a while ago.

eta: I look forward the wrangle on the exact definitions of "a while" and "quite a while".
Old 31st October 2020, 02:29 PM   #79
dirtywick
Illuminator

True but it’s an antiquated qualification. Only 1 of them served during a war that wasn’t fought on horseback.
Old 31st October 2020, 02:36 PM   #80
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

That doesn't mean it's good government experience*. Besides, most of them had government experience before becoming president. Grant, Taylor, and Eisenhower did not. Grant was a horrible president. We haven't had a general as POTUS since Eisenhower.

ETA: *Such as holding a governorship or being a senator.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 31st October 2020 at 02:39 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics