IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:31 PM   #361
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
The mastermind was an FBI agent putting them up to it. That's who the ringleader / main guy was, based on what I've read.
Got a link so I can read about it myself?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:31 PM   #362
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
This just in! Florida:
Biden 49.XY
Trump 49.YX
Trump will win Florida. I'm surprised they haven't called it yet
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:32 PM   #363
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
If Trump loses, what's the most common headline tomorrow? I'm guessing, "You're Fired!"
Trump: "It was rigged!"

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:32 PM   #364
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Trump: "It was rigged!"
He will mobilise the gravy seals he's asked to stand back and stand by, and start a strong and beautiful revolution.
eta That sounded funnier in my head. On paper it just looks ominous and foreboding.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:34 PM   #365
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Is this serious?

It's the number of Representatives + Senators each state has. And Washington DC gets 3.

100 Senators

435 Representatives

+ 3 DC

= 538.

There's a good website that might help with that. I can't quite remember the name though...

Can anyone help?
Yeah but is that actually them individuals voting (senators and reps) and do they have to go with the popular vote that wins.

Or is it some automatic thing.

2007 https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna16911044
cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:37 PM   #366
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Yeah but is that actually them individuals voting (senators and reps) and do they have to go with the popular vote that wins.

Or is it some automatic thing.
No, each party offers a slate of electors. When you vote for Biden or Trump or whoever, you are really voting for their electors, who are sworn to vote for their candidate but who have been known to stray, with limited consequences.
https://www.nytimes.com/article/the-...l-college.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:39 PM   #367
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
He will mobilise the gravy seals he's asked to stand back and stand by, and start a strong and beautiful revolution.
eta That sounded funnier in my head. On paper it just looks ominous and foreboding.

Gravy seals? New term to me. But very appropriate.
https://www.urbandictionary.com/defi...m=Gravy%20SEAL
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:43 PM   #368
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Or in Indiana.
No, that's Hoosiers.
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:45 PM   #369
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Seems that the White House are confident of victory though.

Why else would they need that wall ?
Trump won't go back into the bunker after he got such a ration of **** when he did his "inspection".
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:45 PM   #370
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
You mean they're not different words for the same place? Like Holland and the Netherlands?

That's right... poke the Tasmanian Devil.

Heh... had to have a go myself.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:47 PM   #371
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Republicans pick up 2 house seats in Miami-Dade.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:47 PM   #372
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Michigan seems to be going to Trump, unless there is a significant packet of Biden voters in some corner.

So Wisconsin will probably go Trump too.

So with Florida, Michigan and Wisconsin for Trump and Texas probably going to stay with Trump, his path to victory seems quite solid.

(I know Biden is ahead in Texas, but it won't last)
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:48 PM   #373
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
No, each party offers a slate of electors. When you vote for Biden or Trump or whoever, you are really voting for their electors, who are sworn to vote for their candidate but who have been known to stray, with limited consequences.

https://www.nytimes.com/article/the-...l-college.html
Cheers

Good link.

Kind of get it now.

Not sure why people would want a system as weird as that but each to their own.

So a whole state could vote for one party, and a the the senators and reps could just go with the other one. And the people's vote was irrelevant.

Was stops bribery an corruption to the actual electoral voters?

cullennz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:48 PM   #374
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Trump winning Loudon County VA by 55% with 95% counted. He lost it in 2016, getting only 39%. Not sure why this state was called for Biden already.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:49 PM   #375
Galaxie
Muse

So ABC News thinks things are looking good for Biden in Ohio.

What do we make of North Carolina's results so far?
Galaxie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:49 PM   #376
Cain
Straussian

We already survived four years of Trump so we're probably not going to be able to last much longer.
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:51 PM   #377
Galaxie
Muse

Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Michigan seems to be going to Trump, unless there is a significant packet of Biden voters in some corner.
Where did you get this info?
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:51 PM   #378
MarkCorrigan
Winter is Coming

I rather like the term gravy seals, but isn't gravy a bit too brown?

When I give food to the poor they call me a saint, when I ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:51 PM   #379
Cain
Straussian

So with Florida, Michigan and Wisconsin for Trump and Texas probably going to stay with Trump, his path to victory seems quite solid.

According to Predictit, Biden's up 10c in Wisconsin, 6c in Michigan, and 9c in PA.
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:52 PM   #380
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No one wants to live in the cities anymore, they are too crowded.
I haven't seen a sense of humor from you so I don't know how to react to this post. If you're being cute, then you're cute. If you're being serious, then this is truly funny.
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:54 PM   #381
EE2016
Scholar

It does seem like Trump is going to re-elected. I don't think Texas is going to go blue. Florida is going to be red, as of right now it's so very close but will likely be red.
EE2016 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:54 PM   #382
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Ohio looks skewed because of all the EV reported as huge margins in urban centers like Hamilton, Cuyahoga, and Franklin counties. They've blown their wad. Rest of state is 66% to 80% DJT.
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:56 PM   #383
Tero
Master Poster

Wisconsin is not Michigan.

Biden will get PA and WI. Iowa...no idea.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:57 PM   #384
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

It is scary that Trump is winning in any state, considering what he is and what he stands for. I fear he may get re-elected.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:58 PM   #385
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
It is scary that Trump is winning in any state, considering what he is and what he stands for.
Indeed. Boggles the mind.

It helps to have voters who live in their own alternative news bubbles in a post-fact world .
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:59 PM   #386
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Im going to slice my wrists.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:00 PM   #387
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by EE2016 View Post
It does seem like Trump is going to re-elected. I don't think Texas is going to go blue.
Way too early to claim that. Biden is ahead in electoral votes now.

Last edited by Bob001; 3rd November 2020 at 07:06 PM.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:00 PM   #388
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Indeed. Boggles the mind.

It helps to have voters who live in their own alternative news bubbles in a post-fact world .
If Trump wins, our democracy is over. It will be as much of a sham democracy as Russia is.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:02 PM   #389
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Democrat John Hickenlooper wins against GOP Senator Cory Gardner, per projection
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:02 PM   #390
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

It is scary that Trump is winning in any state, considering what he is and what he stands for. I fear he may get re-elected.
Why?

I have predicted he will win for a couple of years

Old 3rd November 2020, 07:02 PM   #391
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

The Norwegian state television commentators covering the election live are starting to look worried.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:02 PM   #392
angrysoba
Philosophile

Not sure why people would want a system as weird as that but each to their own.

So a whole state could vote for one party, and a the the senators and reps could just go with the other one. And the people's vote was irrelevant.

Was stops bribery an corruption to the actual electoral voters?
Who wants this? Many people don't and think it is a completely undemocratic system. Then again, for some states, and one party in particular it favours them so they will try to prevent it changing or any attempts to amend the constitution.

It is NOT the senators and representatives who vote; that is just how the electoral votes are allocated. The people who vote are called electors.

Your question about how the people's vote could be completely undercut by what are called "faithless electors" (those who vote against the popular vote in the state) is one that has been asked a number of times. In theory, the electors are party loyalists and there are some laws preventing them going against the popular vote in some states.
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:04 PM   #393
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Pollsters: the real enemy of the people.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:05 PM   #394
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Why?
Because I'm not a wealthy, white supremacist Christian.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:08 PM   #395
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate

If the population want him, they want him, and he wins.

If they want Biden they want him, and he wins.

No point getting all sensitive about it

Old 3rd November 2020, 07:08 PM   #396
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Correction: nothing says "your country has filled up with millions of civilizationally incompatible pieces of crap" quite so powerfully as needing to take such measures.
Do they really need to?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:08 PM   #397
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Neither are the vast majority of Trump voters.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:09 PM   #398
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

If the population want him, they want him, and he wins.

If they want Biden they want him, and he wins.

No point getting all sensitive about it
The population doesn't want Trump. They didn't want him last time either.
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:09 PM   #399
Robin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
According to Predictit, Biden's up 10c in Wisconsin, 6c in Michigan, and 9c in PA.
Yes and someone elsewhere has suggested that this is one of those red mirage things with election day results counted first.

I will wait and see.
The non-theoretical character of metaphysics would not be in itself a defect; all arts have this non-theoretical character without thereby losing their high value for personal as well as for social life. The danger lies in the deceptive character of metaphysics; it gives the illusion of knowledge without actually giving any knowledge. This is the reason why we reject it. - Rudolf Carnap "Philosophy and Logical Syntax"
Robin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 07:10 PM   #400
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Neither are the vast majority of Trump voters.
Right. Most of them are not wealthy.
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics