IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:00 AM   #121
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I think the only thing that might make me happier than a Biden victory tonight would be if a large Indian family moved in next-door to Skeptic Tank.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:08 AM   #122
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I think the only thing that might make me happier than a Biden victory tonight would be if a large Indian family moved in next-door to Skeptic Tank.
What that Indian family did to you that you wish them this kind of fate?
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:10 AM   #123
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Originally Posted by rdwight View Post
Or maybe I'm talking about the olden days of yore, i.e the 2017 Congressional baseball shooting.
Personally, I haven't forgotten that one at all.

I have not tried to create a false equivalence. It's just other posters adding whataboutism's they think prove some point that wasn't being made. I made an observation that is obvious, and I hate the idea everyone has to tip toe around the obvious.
While I could see what happened when I posted what I did, I'm going to poke back at what I said and clarify one of the main points of what I said more. The response you actually made did not actually help your case, as you made it.

More helpful might be to refer to the fact that fears driving such don't need to be especially well based in reality, given the nature of many of the objections, as well as how much of the media has helped nurture such fears given sensationalist or political biases.

Ya political violence 100+ years ago was definitely the norm, especially in regards to black Americans voting or gaining political positions. What's scary are the countless stories that we probably will never know about because the victims weren't around after to tell their side.
Mmm. And to be a slightly terrible person - I honestly don't want to know those stories, personally. It's quite enough for me to act to try to prevent any more from happening.
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:12 AM   #124
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mader Levap View Post
What that Indian family did to you that you wish them this kind of fate?
I doubt they'd notice. I forget who said this, but half the people you hate don't know it and the other half don't care.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:12 AM   #125
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.

Or maybe I'm talking about the olden days of yore, i.e the 2017 Congressional baseball shooting.
Oh okay, no aggregated data for you then. You’d rather just stick with talking points. Cool.

Hey, remember that time Obama said there were 57 states? That’s totally the same thing as all the dumb stuff that Trump says.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:23 AM   #126
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Absolutely the opposite is the risk. If Trump isn't kicked out on his petard, we're all ******.

That's a rather thoroughly mixed metaphor.

But ...

it does offer a quite pleasing image when applied to Trump.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:31 AM   #127
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Well I'm glad that we agree that having to live around people like that is a punishment.

They have a very large country to live in, Indians should be in India. It's right there in the name.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:33 AM   #128
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
Well I'm glad that we agree that having to live around people like that is a punishment.

They have a very large country to live in, Indians should be in India. It's right there in the name.
How incredibly absurd.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:41 AM   #129
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well if we can all drag our eyes away from the Racist trying to bait us into a "Who's on First" Routine with Indians/First Nation Peoples....

- 6 states have already surpassed their 2016 voting numbers. Turnout is going to be big, at least in spots. I hope it's a trend that will hold consistent.

- The White House put up high security fencing last night.

- Voting was down in Spalding County Georgia for brief period due to an unspecified technical glitch. Luckily it does look (by all accounts) to have been a non-nefarious honest technical issue, voting was restored quickly, and provisional ballots were given to anyone affected who couldn't wait for restoral.

Last edited by JoeMorgue; 3rd November 2020 at 09:51 AM.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:49 AM   #130
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
This is another bizarre thing about the US election process. It's enormously expensive to administer and still results in an exceptionally poor level of "customer service".

I wouldn't claim that the UK system is world leading but we manage to have a polling station for approximately every 800-1,000 registered voters. I've voted in cities, towns and in rural areas and have seldom had to wait, much less wait in line with hundreds of other people.

It varies quite a bit here, depending on where you live.

In NC a lot of the election standards are set by the various county BoEs. In Durham County, where I live, there has been little problem with lines. We had nearly two weeks of early voting and the BoE provided for 14 poll sites which were open mostly 12 hrs a day. There were some 20 or 30 minute lines at some of them the first couple of days, but after that they were minimal to non-existent. I voted Friday, and spent more time filling out the ballot than I did walking through the stations to get it.

And since the early polling places aren't precinct specific it was easy to find one that wasn't crowded if you wanted to go a bit farther.

They even had a map up on their website which gave wait times at the various locations. I checked it from time to time during the early voting and most of them were pretty clear.

Today you have to go to your assigned precincts, but there's around 60 precinct polling places, and if you aren't trying to vote first thing or at the end of the day then there is usually very little wait. I'm not seeing any reports of long lines on our local news reports right now.

Also, the mail-in ballots are not restricted to certain excused voters. Any registered voter can request one, and if they are postmarked by today then there is a nine day window for them to be delivered. If you don't trust the USPS then you can drop them off at the BoE office by end of business (5:00pm) on election day. Or you can turn them in at any of the polling places.

But Durham county is a Democratic Party stronghold, and they go out of their way to make voting as convenient as possible. Sadly, this is not the case for all of the other 99 counties.

"Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad reputation."
quadraginta is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:52 AM   #131
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Or in Indiana.
Old 3rd November 2020, 09:57 AM   #132
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Or in Indiana.
The West Indies are nice too

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:00 AM   #133
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
I just checked the dictionary for the definition of the word “protestor”.

None of the words you just used to describe it were there.
Probably because that word isn't even in the dictionary.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:01 AM   #134
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No city has been remotely close to burning down. I'm not sure that is even possible given building codes.

You should retract your position.

Trump regularly claimed that protests spread over a few square blocks were burning entire cities to the ground. Surely you aren't suggesting that he would lie in order to manipulate and inflame his cultists?
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:15 AM   #135
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently the White House will go in to full lockdown tonight.

Nothing says "of the people, by the people, for the people" quite so powerfully as an 8 foot high fence reinforced with 18 inches of concrete
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:17 AM   #136
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post

Nothing says "of the people, by the people, for the people" quite so powerfully as an 8 foot high fence reinforced with 18 inches of concrete
Seems that the White House are confident of victory though.

Why else would they need that wall ?
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:20 AM   #137
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The CNN anchors and pundits seem to be unusually smiley today. Perhaps it's because all the Election nonsense is close to being over. Well, closer anyway...

Didn't take 'em long to build that one.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:28 AM   #138
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

You'd think the POTUS would be having one of those self-reflection moments right about now...

"I don't seeeeeeeeem to recall protective fences and lockdowns during President Obama's elections..."

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:40 AM   #139
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
Trump regularly claimed that protests spread over a few square blocks were burning entire cities to the ground. Surely you aren't suggesting that he would lie in order to manipulate and inflame his cultists?
Metaphorically, the cities are being destroyed.
Want to buy a house in suburban Philadelphia? Too late!
They are going so fast it is insane- because the tax base of the city is busy tripping over themselves to get out.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:40 AM   #140
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

I wonder if Trump's gonna hide in his bunker.

Old 3rd November 2020, 10:42 AM   #141
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

I have a Indian family next door to me. With five loud kids. But I wouldn't wish them to move next to Skeptic Tank. They've done nothing to deserve it.
shemp is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:44 AM   #142
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
They are going so fast it is insane- because the tax base of the city is busy tripping over themselves to get out.
Didn't you meant sell?

Though I understand, really. Rethuglican drivel is not intended to have any resemblance of logic nor any affinity to truth.
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:48 AM   #143
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Didn't you meant sell?

Though I understand, really. Rethuglican drivel is not intended to have any resemblance of logic nor any affinity to truth.
No one wants to live in the cities anymore, they are too crowded.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:56 AM   #144
Distracted1
Philosopher

Didn't you meant sell?

No, I mean buy.
Houses in suburban Philadelphia don't stay on the market more than a day or two.

The City's tax base is fleeing.

You do understand the difference between "city", and "suburb", do you not?
Old 3rd November 2020, 10:59 AM   #145
wareyin
Philosopher

No, I mean buy.
Houses in suburban Philadelphia don't stay on the market more than a day or two.

The City's tax base is fleeing.

Houses in Atlanta proper and in the Atlanta suburbs don't stay on the market for long, either. I guess that means everyone is leaving!
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:00 AM   #146
johnny karate

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Probably because that word isn't even in the dictionary.
Haha... well-played.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:01 AM   #147
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Correction: nothing says "your country has filled up with millions of civilizationally incompatible pieces of crap" quite so powerfully as needing to take such measures.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:01 AM   #148
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Given that President Trump significantly outperformed the polls in swing states last time around, I'm tempted to believe the so called "skewed" polls AND give him the margin of error too.

As a result, IMO Biden +5 points is too close to call so Michigan is a Trump-leaning toss-up and Biden is just edging Wisconsin.

edited to add.....

Florida and Pennsylvania are IMO lost causes and will go to President Trump by a comfortable margin.
I've mentally doubled Trump's chances of winning in any state based on voter suppression or voiding.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:03 AM   #149
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

No, I mean buy.
Houses in suburban Philadelphia don't stay on the market more than a day or two. The City's tax base is fleeing.
That assertion is meaningless without concrete numbers and hard data. How many? How high prices? When it started? Are there other cities suffering same fate?

In other words, or rather one word: why?

Yea, overlooked that part.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:06 AM   #150
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The PDJT is currently giving a little speech at the RNC offices in Virginia. (I noticed they have FOX News on their TV, of course.) Sounds raspy and looks exhausted and almost defeated. He even brought up the L-word possibility ("losing"). I'm enjoying that.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:07 AM   #151
johnny karate

Cool. Now all you have to do is tie that to riots and looting.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:08 AM   #152
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
No one wants to live in the cities anymore, they are too crowded.
You don't know what you're talking about Bob. Homes in most American cities are significantly more expensive than outside those cities. A 1,000 square foot apartment in downtown Seattle is worth more than a 2,000 square foot home on a quarter acre 15 miles away.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:13 AM   #153
Elagabalus
Philosopher

To protect them from all the partying lefties who don't want to wait until 2021 to drag his sorry ass out and throw him into the Potomac. Duh.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:15 AM   #154
Distracted1
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Houses in Atlanta proper and in the Atlanta suburbs don't stay on the market for long, either. I guess that means everyone is leaving!
Yes. Real estate is a booming industry right now as people flee the cities.
There are influxes of investor money in the urban neighborhoods- it is a good time to snatch up property to rent out- and it is safer than keeping ones' cash in China.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:17 AM   #155
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
The PDJT is currently giving a little speech at the RNC offices in Virginia. (I noticed they have FOX News on their TV, of course.) Sounds raspy and looks exhausted and almost defeated. He even brought up the L-word possibility ("losing"). I'm enjoying that.
For more enjoyment, listen to his Fox & Friends call-in this morning.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:20 AM   #156
rdwight
Muse

Yes. Real estate is a booming industry right now as people flee the cities.
There are influxes of investor money in the urban neighborhoods- it is a good time to snatch up property to rent out- and it is safer than keeping ones' cash in China.
Definitely is an influx of New Yorkers currently into NJ, but doubt there is hard polling data of the reasoning. More work from home opportunity seems like the larger and most obvious possibility.
rdwight is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:20 AM   #157
Distracted1
Philosopher

I need do no such thing.
If you wish to reject an obvious reality because it sits uncomfortably upon your world-view, feel free.
I am experiencing it first-hand, and your assertions that what is happening is not happening are so laughably out of touch that bothering to disabuse you of your illusions is exhausting to contemplate.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:21 AM   #158
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

The next step is even worse, GENTRIFICATION !!!!!

So many hipsters,
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:22 AM   #159
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yeah, I thought most large cities are seeing an exodus as Covid rages on and restaurants and other social gathering areas are closed.

Living in NYC would have been great, even in a ****** apartment. Living in NYC under lock down and without any restaurants or other social gathering places would be like living in a ****** apartment anywhere else in the world. What's the point?

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:22 AM   #160
Guybrush Threepwood
Trainee Pirate

Correction: nothing says "your country has filled up with millions of civilizationally incompatible pieces of crap" quite so powerfully as needing to take such measures.
In only four years too! I fear Trump must have taken his eye off the ball.
Guybrush Threepwood is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics