IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:50 PM   #201
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

It's probably not a healthy thing to do right now while killing time, but I've been following a real time FL vote tracker

It's by county, and here is the county acronym list. You can just put in the abbreviation in the URL.

The link is Pinellas county, which narrowly went to Trump in 2016. Based on the numbers and the rate of Election Day voting, if non-affiliated votes break to Biden as projected by the last poll taken there, Trump could lose this county by 30K votes this time. This in a state he won by 110K total in 2016.

The county for The Villages - that humongous retirement community that was made famous by that dude in a golf cart chanting "White Power" - is currently at 59% GOP/23% Dem/17% NPA. Trump beat Clinton 68-29 in 2016. So, it looks like he's underperforming there, as well.

Of course, a lot will depend on how the NPAs break. Miami-Dade doesn't report here, but Broward does.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:51 PM   #202
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
I have a good friend I used to drive up and visit in Jackson once in a while for about three years.
I'm guessing he didn't have horses.
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:57 PM   #203
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
That's certainly troubling. But a key difference between then and now is that Clinton was almost universally seen as the sure thing, the guaranteed winner, and a certain percentage of people who might have voted for her just stayed home because they didn't think their votes were needed. This time, as Ted Cruz(!) put it, Democrats will crawl over broken glass to vote against Trump. But it's extremely unlikely that Trump could attract more support than he had then.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...o-win-in-2020/
I just read an article that said there were four states where early votes exceeded the 2016 total. (Texas, Washington, Montana, and one other I forget, but it wasn't a swing state.) Eight additional states had early vote totals that were more than 90% of the 2016 vote. Florida and North Carolina were two of those. So, it's a safe bet that voter turnout will indeed be high.

Conventional wisdom is that those people are the ones that are crawling over broken glass to get out and vote against Trump, so the high turnout bodes well. But I'll be glad to see real result coming in to verify that. We should see the first real results in about 3 - 4 hours.
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:02 PM   #204
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I just read an article that said there were four states where early votes exceeded the 2016 total. (Texas, Washington, Montana, and one other I forget, but it wasn't a swing state.) Eight additional states had early vote totals that were more than 90% of the 2016 vote. Florida and North Carolina were two of those. So, it's a safe bet that voter turnout will indeed be high.

Conventional wisdom is that those people are the ones that are crawling over broken glass to get out and vote against Trump, so the high turnout bodes well. But I'll be glad to see real result coming in to verify that. We should see the first real results in about 3 - 4 hours.
Georgia had 3.8 to 3.9 million early voters as of Friday and more mail in ballots could have come in Saturday and Monday. 4.1 million people voted in total in the 2016 election.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:04 PM   #205
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I was driving a bit on Sunday and saw people on highway overpasses with Trump flags. All I could think is: why?

I have never backed anything so much that I would wake up on a beautiful Sunday and think: Hey kids, let's grab some flags and head down to the overpass to cheer about _____ to the drivers below.

They just seemed unstable.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:08 PM   #206
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I was driving a bit on Sunday and saw people on highway overpasses with Trump flags. All I could think is: why?

I have never backed anything so much that I would wake up on a beautiful Sunday and think: Hey kids, let's grab some flags and head down to the overpass to cheer about _____ to the drivers below.

I've never done it myself, but it's a thing that campaign volunteers do. If you show up at a campaign headquarters wanting to volunteer, there are a handful of jobs you are likely to get thrown at you. One of them is to hold signs on overpasses.

(I haven't worked on a campaign since 1988, and I'm sure some things have changed, but a lot is still the same. They probably don't stuff as many envelopes as they used to, and that "signs on overpasses" seems to have gotten a lot more common.)
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:09 PM   #207
GodMark2
Master Poster

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
That is certainly part of it but the riots are definitely a part of the problem too, especially here in PDX. An example of this is Standard Insurance which is right next to the riots. They'll abandon much of their office space. This means less tax revenue for the city, less restaurant patronage, and so on.
Of course, the source of that info always said "because of CIOVID19 and other matters", and never actually confirmed how many employees were already working from home before the protests presented any problems. He always mixed the two together. He also relied on vague and unspecific claims of problems.

And later in that same article:
Quote:
Jonathan Bach, commercial real estate reporter for the Portland Business Journal, has been focusing on the pandemic's impact on downtown office space.

"I have not seen a mass exodus from downtown because of the protests," Bach said. "I think COVID-19 is consuming all the oxygen in the room."

"Less dramatic but almost more telling in this environment story is the sublease space," Bach said.

In June, The Portland Business Journal reported that vacation rental firm Vacasa put 37,000 square feet of office space in the Pearl District's RiverTec building on the sublease market. Bach said as it stands, sublease space available now still trails the dot.com bust and the 2008 financial recession.

"So those numbers may be a little more telling for offices in particularly and so far at least for the data I've seen, we're doing OK," Bach said. "Again, you’re not seeing a mass exodus."
Which would indicate that the cause is far less protest-caused than the tone of your post would suggest. If it were protest problems, then they wouldn't be able to sub-lease the space, as the new tenants would face the same problems. If, however, it were COVID, then different tenants could use the space in a less-populated manner, and the sub-lease market would remain strong. While the sub-lease market has dipped slightly, it is far stronger than in similar economic downturns.
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:09 PM   #208
wareyin
Philosopher

Reminds me of the overpass impeach Obama party/rallies they used to have back when we had a sane President. There would be 5-15 people with what looked like spray painted bed sheets yelling and waiving them on interstate overpasses.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:16 PM   #209
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
I don't see a prediction thread for electoral votes. I'll put my guess here: Biden with 290.
Originally Posted by Thermal View Post
I predict just north of 300
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shutterstock_670854226.jpg (50.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:22 PM   #210
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Ambrosia View Post
I still think Texas might flip blue.
I have to say that I don't think you are right on this one. Texas is a weird State, politically. There are a few (3) major urban areas that tend to vote Blue but the rest of Texas votes Red. Look at the DFW and Houston areas. Sure, Houston and Dallas are the two biggest cities in Texas and those large counties are consistently Blue, but surrounding and outnumbering them are other suburban counties that are consistently Red.

I don't see those switching. The only hope is that the record turnout means there are a lot of Not Trump voters coming out of the woodwork this year. There's a shot, for sure. Could be a lot of young voters and disgruntled former Trump voters. But I fear it just means the Trump voters are also more motivated and those Red counties will just get redder.

Really hope I'm wrong -it would be a strong message for Trump and the GOP in general to lose Texas- but I am resigned to being right on this one.
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:22 PM   #211
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

Has Biden's refusal to go low to match Trump's vitriol helped him or hurt him? The guy, as far as I can see, has been relentlessly positive with his message - no real attempt to scaremonger in Trumpian fashion. Other entities, like the Lincoln Project, have gone down a darker route. Biden as far as I can tell isn't saying "Lock him up!" or "He's going to ruin (or has ruined) the country." I respect him for that, but does it help?
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:23 PM   #212
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

...and a hitherto unknown demographic emerges...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:26 PM   #213
xjx388
Philosopher

Yes, it's just so weird to me. Like a religious devotion to a cult figure. There are people in my city that I have respected for a long time and they are members of this cult! It's surreal. We have Trump Trains every Saturday* and every day so far this week. We have so many yards adorned with signs and flags.

One of two things: There's a real red wave in this Democratic Party stronghold OR the Trumpsters are desperate and making a show hoping to convince people to switch to their side. I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that there were 46k Trump votes in 2016 and the Trains are nowhere near that size. But I've never seen anything like it here.
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:28 PM   #214
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

I've been extremely anxious the past few days, some election-related and some not - yesterday I put on a YouTube "Best of Mozart" play list and it helped quite a lot, especially if I was focusing on the music, the structure, which instruments were playing etc. Just a tip. I feel like I have election apnea. I really hope it dissipates, and it might no matter what the result, because it may be the suspense causing discomfort rather than fear of another Trump term. I don't want that either though.
Minoosh is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:31 PM   #215
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
I have to say that I don't think you are right on this one. Texas is a weird State, politically. There are a few (3) major urban areas that tend to vote Blue but the rest of Texas votes Red. Look at the DFW and Houston areas. Sure, Houston and Dallas are the two biggest cities in Texas and those large counties are consistently Blue, but surrounding and outnumbering them are other suburban counties that are consistently Red.

I don't see those switching. The only hope is that the record turnout means there are a lot of Not Trump voters coming out of the woodwork this year. There's a shot, for sure. Could be a lot of young voters and disgruntled former Trump voters. But I fear it just means the Trump voters are also more motivated and those Red counties will just get redder.

Really hope I'm wrong -it would be a strong message for Trump and the GOP in general to lose Texas- but I am resigned to being right on this one.

So what? That's geography. What you are describing is true in Washington State too. And Biden is probably going to win the state by 25 points.
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:32 PM   #216
Minoosh
Penultimate Amazing

One of two things: There's a real red wave in this Democratic Party stronghold OR the Trumpsters are desperate and making a show hoping to convince people to switch to their side. I'm somewhat comforted by the fact that there were 46k Trump votes in 2016 and the Trains are nowhere near that size. But I've never seen anything like it here.
I keep hoping that Trump's negativity motivates some folks on the other side to cast a ballot if they haven't already.

Weird to think that in a few hours the polling will be over, if not the recounts and the lawsuits.
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:38 PM   #217
lobosrul5
Master Poster

Same here, marching back and forth with Trump sign, US Flag and Confederate Flag, saw him on my way home from work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Albuquerque.../moron_in_abq/

Also, saw a beat up old car, like early 90's Ford Taurus with a Trump flag and confederate flag on polls, like people do with lifted trucks. Just found it odd on a car, especially an old beater... like what did Trump do for you?!

Last edited by lobosrul5; 3rd November 2020 at 01:39 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:39 PM   #218
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Just found it odd on a car, especially an old beater... like what did Trump do for you?!
Gave them someone to blame for their ills.
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:51 PM   #219
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Yes, it's just so weird to me. Like a religious devotion to a cult figure. There are people in my city that I have respected for a long time and they are members of this cult! It's surreal. We have Trump Trains every Saturday* and every day so far this week. We have so many yards adorned with signs and flags.

Same thing here in Vegas. Dudes in trucks with custom setups to fly 2 trump flags on the sides and a big ole American one in the middle. It's one reason people keep saying Trump is going to win here.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:56 PM   #220
gregthehammer
Muse

my thought is, all these people that bought the trump swag, what will they do with it if he loses? I was talking to my dad over the weekend, and we talked about how back in the day, the most a person would get would be an I LIKE IKE button to stick on your coat. now? people buy trump hats, trump flags, trump hoodies, what have you, like it's some sort of sports team. I have never had the thought " Man, I like this politician so much, i'm gonna wear his face across my chest!" just weird to me
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 01:56 PM   #221
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Do you really think businesses are boarding up because they think Trump is going to win and Biden supporters are going to riot? Surely the reverse is much more likely.

Here's a clue...

In NY, businesses boarding up their storefronts are decorating the plywood with the statement: "We support Black Lives Matter"
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:01 PM   #222
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
So what? That's geography. What you are describing is true in Washington State too. And Biden is probably going to win the state by 25 points.
Washington State is very different. There are 3 big urban counties (7% of counties) that account for 52% of the vote and they are all solidly Blue. The surrounding rural Red counties are nowhere near big enough to overcome that much Blue.

This is not the situation in Texas, If we were to look at 7% of all Texas counties, that would be about 18 counties which makes up 69% of the vote. Of the 18 largest counties, only 8 of those counties are solidly Blue, which equates to only 43% of the vote. You'd have to have some of those larger Red counties make some historic swings toward Blue. I just don't see it happening.

And remember we are talking about Texas flipping Blue. Can you see any situation where Washington flips Red?
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:01 PM   #223
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Joe Biden’s lead vanishes in four swing states, according to poll aggregator
In Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina and Ohio Joe Biden’s lead may have disappeared

Joe Biden’s lead has evaporated in four key swing states, according to a polling average released by RealClearPolitics.

In Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina and Ohio Donald Trump has seized the lead, the site claimed - although several polling experts said that the results were not credible.

RealClearPolitics still gave Mr Biden a 7.2 per cent lead nationally, with a 0.09 per cent lead in Arizona and Florida, and a 1.2 per cent lead in Pennsylvania.

The biggest collapse of support for the 77-year-old was in Iowa, where as recently as Friday he was ahead according to RealClearPolitics’ average by 1.2 per cent.

Mr Trump now leads Iowa by 2 per cent of the vote; Georgia by 1 per cent; North Carolina by 0.2 per cent; and Ohio by 1.4 per cent.

Mr Biden previously led polling in all four states, but saw his advantage dwindle in recent days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1565007.html
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:04 PM   #224
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Joe Biden’s lead vanishes in four swing states, according to poll aggregator
In Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina and Ohio Joe Biden’s lead may have disappeared

Joe Biden’s lead has evaporated in four key swing states, according to a polling average released by RealClearPolitics.

In Iowa, Georgia, North Carolina and Ohio Donald Trump has seized the lead, the site claimed - although several polling experts said that the results were not credible.

RealClearPolitics still gave Mr Biden a 7.2 per cent lead nationally, with a 0.09 per cent lead in Arizona and Florida, and a 1.2 per cent lead in Pennsylvania.

The biggest collapse of support for the 77-year-old was in Iowa, where as recently as Friday he was ahead according to RealClearPolitics’ average by 1.2 per cent.

Mr Trump now leads Iowa by 2 per cent of the vote; Georgia by 1 per cent; North Carolina by 0.2 per cent; and Ohio by 1.4 per cent.

Mr Biden previously led polling in all four states, but saw his advantage dwindle in recent days.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1565007.html
The problem with RCP this cycle is that they have been A) putting in a ton of right leaning marginal polls and B) dropping off high quality polls after a short amount of time.

Nate Silver and Nate Cohn have commented on this today.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:05 PM   #225
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
my thought is, all these people that bought the trump swag, what will they do with it if he loses? I was talking to my dad over the weekend, and we talked about how back in the day, the most a person would get would be an I LIKE IKE button to stick on your coat. now? people buy trump hats, trump flags, trump hoodies, what have you, like it's some sort of sports team. I have never had the thought " Man, I like this politician so much, i'm gonna wear his face across my chest!" just weird to me
To be fair, politics is a lot more impactful than sports. I would never wear or parade around in that kind of stuff, not my style. But this is like the Super Bowl. And wearing/parading the colors of the "team" you support might actually have some influence on the outcome of the "game." So I get it, but it's not something I have ever seen before.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:10 PM   #226
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Trump was asked by BBC reporter if Trump had a concession speech. After he talked like he knows he might lose ("No one likes to lose"), he went into the: my crowds are are the biggest ever in the world, no one has ever seen crowds like I have, they fill up airports, there were 50,000 people in my crowds....

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 3rd November 2020 at 02:13 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:11 PM   #227
gregthehammer
Muse

To be fair, politics is a lot more impactful than sports. I would never wear or parade around in that kind of stuff, not my style. But this is like the Super Bowl. And wearing/parading the colors of the "team" you support might actually have some influence on the outcome of the "game." So I get it, but it's not something I have ever seen before.
I dunno. it just seams cult -like to me. My two cents, but it seems to me that back in the day, people were more ready to grouse about a politician even if they voted for them. Now, if you voted for PoliticianX, you are stuck sticking up for PoliticianX come hell or high water. For a nation with such a independent, pull yourself up by your bootstraps mythos, seems pretty lame.
gregthehammer is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:13 PM   #228
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
So you think Trump supporters won't come out with their 'long' guns and camo clothes when Trump loses?

Think they never break windows or loot?

One question I have for the "Conservatives aren't the ones rioting/protesting" crowd: What exactly have they had to riot about this year? There's only one thing I can think of, and that's being told to wear a mask.

And on that issue, they've stormed government buildings on more than one occasion. Not to mention an untold number of individuals trashing local stores when told to wear a mask. So, not so great a record.

Otherwise, they're sitting pretty. Their guy is in the Whitehouse, and they're convinced he's going to stay there. The cops are putting "those people" in their places, which is fine by them. The Proud Boys and their ilk are getting free passes to act like jerks to anyone they want.

So why would they have rioted this year?

But if Trump loses, they're going to lose their minds, and then we'll see how "law and order" they really are.

Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
Same thing here in Vegas. Dudes in trucks with custom setups to fly 2 trump flags on the sides and a big ole American one in the middle. It's one reason people keep saying Trump is going to win here.

Of course, the big flashy trucks dragging huge signs and honking their horns attract all the attention, and no one notices all the other vehicles that aren't doing all that nonsense. If you counted how many were in each group, I'm guessing the Trump Trucks would be a very small percentage.

As usual, being a loudmouthed jerk gets you a disproportionate amount of attention, but it says nothing about how popular you actually are.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:15 PM   #229
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Washington State is very different. There are 3 big urban counties (7% of counties) that account for 52% of the vote and they are all solidly Blue. The surrounding rural Red counties are nowhere near big enough to overcome that much Blue.

This is not the situation in Texas, If we were to look at 7% of all Texas counties, that would be about 18 counties which makes up 69% of the vote. Of the 18 largest counties, only 8 of those counties are solidly Blue, which equates to only 43% of the vote. You'd have to have some of those larger Red counties make some historic swings toward Blue. I just don't see it happening.

And remember we are talking about Texas flipping Blue. Can you see any situation where Washington flips Red?
You're counting previous elections not the current one. Demographics have been steadily changing in Texas. Also, you're not addressing other issues like the pandemic and the number of voters. State wide races have been getting closer and closer.

History tells us that Trump will likely win. Other factors show it could flip.

I lost my crystal ball so I don't know.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:20 PM   #230
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Texas going blue is pretty inevitable. Not sure if it's this year, assuming we oust Trump and remain an actual real Democracy, it won't stay Red for more than another decade at most.

Urbanization almost without fails leads to more liberal politics, and America is becoming more urban at a steady pace.

This election could very well be the one where Texas going blue is no longer some crazy insane scenario and even if the Republicans still hold it could be the start of it being a "swing state" that they have to fight for.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:21 PM   #231
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post
Not to mention an untold number of individuals trashing local stores when told to wear a mask. So, not so great a record.

And attacking or murdering store employees who ask them to wear masks.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:22 PM   #232
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

Of course, the big flashy trucks dragging huge signs and honking their horns attract all the attention, and no one notices all the other vehicles that aren't doing all that nonsense. If you counted how many were in each group, I'm guessing the Trump Trucks would be a very small percentage.

As usual, being a loudmouthed jerk gets you a disproportionate amount of attention, but it says nothing about how popular you actually are.
The last half hour I was in Ferndale, WA Macdonald's. There were 5 big pickups with rednecks in Cammo gear honking horns with huge Trump flags. But there were also 4 other vehicles in the parking lot with Biden bumber stickers. You would hardly notice them if you didn't look.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:30 PM   #233
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
Has Biden's refusal to go low to match Trump's vitriol helped him or hurt him? The guy, as far as I can see, has been relentlessly positive with his message - no real attempt to scaremonger in Trumpian fashion. Other entities, like the Lincoln Project, have gone down a darker route. Biden as far as I can tell isn't saying "Lock him up!" or "He's going to ruin (or has ruined) the country." I respect him for that, but does it help?
There will be a lot of Wednesday morning quarterbacking (to mix a metaphor) asking the same question. If Biden wins, he will be a genius. If he loses, an idiot. And the people making the judgement will claim to have known all along.

For the most part, I think Biden took the right route. He was somewhat aggressive, but mostly positive. I would like to have seen a bit more of a pushback, though, on Trump's personal attacks. I would have liked some variation of "Keep my family out of this, you creep!" when it came to Hunter Biden's laptop. When it comes to allegations of corruption in general, I would have liked to see not just denial and dismissal, but outrage and confrontation. "Senator Denies Corruption Charges" is almost a joke headline that is used to mean, "Senator is Guilty of Corruption Charges". I think denials are not enough. I would have rather seen, in response to "lock him up" chants, a comment like, "You have something on me? Bring it on. Put up or shut up, jackass!"

The sort of poison that Wormtongue Trump spews really does do damage if it is not countered.

However, I'm not a campaign advisor, so tonight we'll see if he did it right.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:30 PM   #234
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Will we know who is the winner today, or will it take longer?
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:34 PM   #235
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
That will depend on whether the MSM and such like the answer or not. If it looks like Trump is winning, then it will definitely take longer - to see if they can change the answer or not.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:37 PM   #236
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
The last half hour I was in Ferndale, WA Macdonald's. There were 5 big pickups with rednecks in Cammo gear honking horns with huge Trump flags. But there were also 4 other vehicles in the parking lot with Biden bumber stickers. You would hardly notice them if you didn't look.
I just browsed a Yahoo story about these Trumpers who have been blocking highways and such with their rolling caravans of trucks (with apparent ties to QAnon). The line that stuck out with me is that they are claiming to "remind people of traditional American Values." My question is, what, the traditional American value to be a jackass?!

Last edited by gregthehammer; 3rd November 2020 at 02:38 PM.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:46 PM   #237
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I just browsed a Yahoo story about these Trumpers who have been blocking highways and such with their rolling caravans of trucks (with apparent ties to QAnon). The line that stuck out with me is that they are claiming to "remind people of traditional American Values." My question is, what, the traditional American value to be a jackass?!
Loud, boorish, in your face, braggarts who aren't worried about who doesn't like us?

To be fair, it really does sound a bit like us.

U - S - A! U - S - A!
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:50 PM   #238
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Loud, boorish, in your face, braggarts who aren't worried about who doesn't like us?

To be fair, it really does sound a bit like us.

U - S - A! U - S - A!
all i know, if one of these roving caravans blocks my path home, i most likely will have a full bladder, and will not be afraid to use it on the nearest bro truck
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:55 PM   #239
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Hard to say. If it comes down to Pennsylvania, maybe not.
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:58 PM   #240
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

As i said, they are just mad about being called deplorable. In protest, they act like this. That will show everyone how deplorable they really are!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics