IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 02:58 PM   #241
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
You're counting previous elections not the current one. Demographics have been steadily changing in Texas. Also, you're not addressing other issues like the pandemic and the number of voters. State wide races have been getting closer and closer.

History tells us that Trump will likely win. Other factors show it could flip.

I lost my crystal ball so I don't know.
Good points. But I've lived here for most of my life and just about all my family is here in Texas. All I'm saying, at the end of the day, is that it would greatly surprise me to see Texas flip, even for just one weird election.

Logically, I don't see how so many people here could possibly vote Republican in any race this cycle given the horrible Covid response not just Federally but on the State and Local level as well. That single issue has destroyed so many of the small businesses that the GOP purports to be champions of. Yet, I continue to see otherwise sane people, many of them members of the medical community and owners of small businesses, waving the Trump flag high. It's, as gregthehammer and I were discussing, cult-like and mindless "rah-rah, my team is the best even if they suck." Frankly, it's a little scary. I see a few Biden flags and signs here and there, but the Trump support looks overwhelming. And this is in a Dem stronghold area.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:00 PM   #242
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Texas going blue is pretty inevitable. Not sure if it's this year, assuming we oust Trump and remain an actual real Democracy, it won't stay Red for more than another decade at most.

Urbanization almost without fails leads to more liberal politics, and America is becoming more urban at a steady pace.

This election could very well be the one where Texas going blue is no longer some crazy insane scenario and even if the Republicans still hold it could be the start of it being a "swing state" that they have to fight for.
I've been hoping for it for longer than I care to remember. Heck, I had high hopes for Wendy Davis some time ago. But, after driving through the heart of the state on Sunday, I just don't see a Biden win. There are no rural Biden supporters at all. And there are a lot of rural votes in Texas. Add that to the cities being more mixed than solidly democratic, I just don't think we are there yet.

If we do cross that line, or maybe when we cross that line, we will have minority voters to thank for getting us there. The white vote in Texas will still be majority GOP until long after Trump is gone.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:01 PM   #243
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Trump's odds at the bookie have drifted out as more people see the tsunami approaching.

And his odds in the electoral college have firmed considerably for him to get 180-209 votes.

Ain't that a shame....
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:01 PM   #244
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
I just browsed a Yahoo story about these Trumpers who have been blocking highways and such with their rolling caravans of trucks (with apparent ties to QAnon). The line that stuck out with me is that they are claiming to "remind people of traditional American Values." My question is, what, the traditional American value to be a jackass?!
Yeah, probably...and I am an American.

Most of this doesn't really bother me. Seeing people on freeway overpasses and honking horns is not unique to this election. All these huge flags is. Trump is obnoxious as anyone could possibly be. It's not surprising his supporters acting like him.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:02 PM   #245
xjx388
Philosopher

Originally Posted by gregthehammer View Post
all i know, if one of these roving caravans blocks my path home, i most likely will have a full bladder, and will not be afraid to use it on the nearest bro truck
All the talk (and actual action) from the anti-protestors, "If you block the road protesting, I'm gonna run you down!" seems like such hypocrisy. The Trump trains here have no problem holding up traffic and surrounding and slowing down opposing candidates busses.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:03 PM   #246
Tero
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
Will we know who is the winner today, or will it take longer?
Depends on Florida. If Florida goes Biden, it's over. If not, you will know Friday.

Politics blog: https://esapolitics.blogspot.com/
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:04 PM   #247
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Yeah, probably...and I am an American.

Most of this doesn't really bother me. Seeing people on freeway overpasses and honking horns is not unique to this election. All these huge flags is. Trump is obnoxious as anyone could possibly be. It's not surprising his supporters acting like him.
I wonder how much of the money for those flags is going to the campaign versus just folks printing up flags to sell roadside without any of it going to Trump?

ETA: The rural roadside flag stand used to survive on a mix of weird crap, confederate flags and then the occasional state and US flag. Now they seem to be mostly Trump stuff and guns rights flags. But the confederate flag still finds space.

Last edited by Dr. Keith; 3rd November 2020 at 03:07 PM.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:06 PM   #248
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
I just don't see a Biden win.
You just might get your wish today. Texas will be close, and hopefully turns blue, which would be the ultimate nail in Trump's coffin.

I'd have $10 on it.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:08 PM   #249
gregthehammer
Muse

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
All the talk (and actual action) from the anti-protestors, "If you block the road protesting, I'm gonna run you down!" seems like such hypocrisy. The Trump trains here have no problem holding up traffic and surrounding and slowing down opposing candidates busses.
hold up, I wasn't talking about running anyone down. I was just stating the fact that if i get held up by one of these annoyances, my bladder might not be able to hold the contents, so i may as well share some *goodwill
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:08 PM   #250
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by The Atheist View Post
You just might get your wish today. Texas will be close, and hopefully turns blue, which would be the ultimate nail in Trump's coffin.

I'd have $10 on it.
I don't need money on it. If it happens I'll be happier than any amount of money I could afford to bet would make me.

Old 3rd November 2020, 03:14 PM   #251
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Good points. But I've lived here for most of my life and just about all my family is here in Texas. All I'm saying, at the end of the day, is that it would greatly surprise me to see Texas flip, even for just one weird election.

Logically, I don't see how so many people here could possibly vote Republican in any race this cycle given the horrible Covid response not just Federally but on the State and Local level as well. That single issue has destroyed so many of the small businesses that the GOP purports to be champions of. Yet, I continue to see otherwise sane people, many of them members of the medical community and owners of small businesses, waving the Trump flag high. It's, as gregthehammer and I were discussing, cult-like and mindless "rah-rah, my team is the best even if they suck." Frankly, it's a little scary. I see a few Biden flags and signs here and there, but the Trump support looks overwhelming. And this is in a Dem stronghold area.
Texas is a weird state. It's the only place I have ever been where I have seen billboards promoting the KKK. The people take pride in in your face obnoxious behaviour and idiots with holsters are commonly seen everywhere.

But everywhere I go in Washington State I see Trump flags too. And I mean EVERYWHERE. If I judged the election by that I would think Trump will win in a landslide. And yet I know Trump will be crushed here. All I'm saying is demographics are changing there. The minority community keeps getting larger. And these people are used to being harrassed. I certainly wouldn't go around Texas with a Biden sticker or flag if I were them.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:16 PM   #252
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I wonder how much of the money for those flags is going to the campaign versus just folks printing up flags to sell roadside without any of it going to Trump?

ETA: The rural roadside flag stand used to survive on a mix of weird crap, confederate flags and then the occasional state and US flag. Now they seem to be mostly Trump stuff and guns rights flags. But the confederate flag still finds space.
Yeah, I've wondered about that too.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:24 PM   #253
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Georgia had 3.8 to 3.9 million early voters as of Friday and more mail in ballots could have come in Saturday and Monday. 4.1 million people voted in total in the 2016 election.
This only confirms what we've long known: Democrats are trying to steal the election by getting more people to vote.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:26 PM   #254
Bubba
Philosopher

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Texas going blue is pretty inevitable. Not sure if it's this year, assuming we oust Trump and remain an actual real Democracy, it won't stay Red for more than another decade at most.

How do you figure that remaining a democracy relies on ousting Trump??
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:28 PM   #255
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
This only confirms what we've long known: Democrats are trying to steal the election by getting more people to vote.
That should be challengeable in SCOTUS - sneakiest tactic evar!
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:31 PM   #256
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
by William Parcher View Post
Will we know who is the winner today, or will it take longer?

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
That will depend on whether the MSM and such like the answer or not. If it looks like Trump is winning, then it will definitely take longer - to see if they can change the answer or not.

They definitely will try to delay any way possible. Their plans/strategies include:

Hillary exhorted the believers to "Do not concede, no matter what."

Pelosi has said she is "ready" to jump in and put congress to work against Trump.

Last edited by Bubba; 3rd November 2020 at 03:32 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:32 PM   #257
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Because everything Trump does is autocratic. He just issued an EO that allows any government worker to be terminated without reason. This turns civil service employment into a political arm of his white White House.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:34 PM   #258
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Roadside flag stands are a thing?

I can't think of anywhere in the area that sells flags apart from the SHip Chandlers near Teesport.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:34 PM   #259
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Damn those Democrats. Next thing you know they'll insist that the person with the most votes is declared the winner.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:48 PM   #260
xjx388
Philosopher

From CNN:
Quote:
Despite his uncertainty, Biden seemed baffled that traditionally red states, like Texas, may be up for grabs tonight.

"It’s just so uncertain," Biden admitted. "Look, you can’t think of an election in the recent past where so many states are up for grabs. The idea I’m in play in Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida — I mean, come on. Texas?"
See, even Biden is incredulous about a Texas flip.
Old 3rd November 2020, 03:57 PM   #261
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

From CNN:

I feel the same way. But it's going to be surprising right up to the point it flips. But I have to think positive. Otherwise I would have sliced my wrist weeks ago.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:06 PM   #262
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

A schoolboy error. It’s only 9 minutes past 11 and I’ve started wading in to my US Election snacks and drinks!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 3rd November 2020 at 04:07 PM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:08 PM   #263
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I just saw that the number of white voters as a percentage of the electorate shrank in the last four years, I knew that would cause ST to suffer.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:08 PM   #264
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

WE ARE LOOKING REALLY GOOD ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. THANK YOU!
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:09 PM   #265
gabeygoat
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Conservative voters do not riot and loot urban areas. They mostly do not even live in them. The boarding up is obviously done against what we have seen all year in cites around the country. These owners are hedging and do not want to lose their businesses in case of some mob reaction to a Trump win, however improbable the polls may have it. They have been wrong before.
Yup, they bomb federal buildings and try to kidnap governors
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:10 PM   #266
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Well garsh Mr. Obvious Bait, I'll just blunder right into this stupid question and start a big ole' trolling hijack...
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:15 PM   #267
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

WE ARE LOOKING REALLY GOOD ALL OVER THE COUNTRY. THANK YOU!
One county in Indiana has reported thus far.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:17 PM   #268
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
One county in Indiana has reported thus far.
OMG TRUMP IS WINNING WE'RE DOOMED!!1!!1ELEVENTY11!1
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:19 PM   #269
shemp
a flimsy character...perfidious and despised

Hey don't forget, there's a party going on around here!
shemp is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:27 PM   #270
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by shemp View Post
I've got another window open in that thread.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:28 PM   #271
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

That's perfect summary of current USA politics.

From CNN:
Quote:
Despite his uncertainty, Biden seemed baffled that traditionally red states, like Texas, may be up for grabs tonight.

"Itís just so uncertain," Biden admitted. "Look, you canít think of an election in the recent past where so many states are up for grabs. The idea Iím in play in Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Florida ó I mean, come on. Texas?"
Correct lesson would be "never ever put forth this kind of candidate again, because it will backfire greatly for you".
I doubt Republicans will learn that lesson. After all, POTUS or house/senate are more or less temporary, but SCOTUS is for very long time. It may be worth it from their perspective.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:29 PM   #272
Sherkeu
Master Poster

Because everything Trump does is autocratic. He just issued an EO that allows any government worker to be terminated without reason. This turns civil service employment into a political arm of his white White House.
Have you read about the 7 months of power grab from the democratic Governor of California, Gavin Newsom?

I think a large part of California democrats will vote Republican this time because the 'open it up' message of personal liberty speaks to many of us here living under ridiculous rules for way too long. Look up his crazy 'rules for Thanksgiving' to see how bad it gets.We are supposed to sit far apart , outside wear a mask between bites. He even says what type of musical instruments may be played. He has gone mad.

Twice, judges have had to remind him that his 'emergency' powers cannot overrule State laws or the Constitution.

This ruling just yesterday:
https://abc7.com/gavin-newsom-califo...us-19/7591377/

Thanksgiving/Christmas rules:

Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:34 PM   #273
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
Have you read about the 7 months of power grab from the democratic Governor of California, Gavin Newsom?

I think a large part of California democrats will vote Republican this time because the 'open it up' message of personal liberty speaks to many of us here living under ridiculous rules for way too long. Look up his crazy 'rules for Thanksgiving' to see how bad it gets.We are supposed to sit far apart , outside wear a mask between bites. He even says what type of musical instruments may be played. He has gone mad.

Twice, judges have had to remind him that his 'emergency' powers cannot overrule State laws or the Constitution.

This ruling just yesterday:
https://abc7.com/gavin-newsom-califo...us-19/7591377/

Thanksgiving/Christmas rules:

https://wpcdn.us-east-1.vip.tn-cloud...ys-768x960.png
This is a power grab? Or sanity?
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:40 PM   #274
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump doesn’t win it will be unpresidented
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:41 PM   #275
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Wait till tomorrow night. We should know bi den.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:43 PM   #276
Bubba
Philosopher

Damn those Democrats. Next thing you know they'll insist that the person with the most votes is declared the winner.

Yes, they would.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:52 PM   #277
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

CNN is brilliant, constant drama, ‘Breaking Poll Flash’, ‘8% of Dingabedo County showing 2.1%lead amongst female lumberjacks for Biden’, with music going bam-ban bam BAM BAM.
They should do the snooker.
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:53 PM   #278
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Same here, marching back and forth with Trump sign, US Flag and Confederate Flag, saw him on my way home from work.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Albuquerque.../moron_in_abq/

Also, saw a beat up old car, like early 90's Ford Taurus with a Trump flag and confederate flag on polls, like people do with lifted trucks. Just found it odd on a car, especially an old beater... like what did Trump do for you?!
I think we can deduce from the Confederate flag what Trump was doing for him.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:54 PM   #279
Sherkeu
Master Poster

This is a power grab? Or sanity?
It's a nanny state. No sanity about it. Citizens of CA are not toddlers.
Just wait and see what the voters have to say.
CA will still go to Biden (duh), but Dems wont have that huge 33pt lead like last time. That's my prediction.

(2016 CA election was Clinton: 8.8M, Trump 4.5M - which was over 1M votes more than her 3M margin in the pop vote)
Sherkeu is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:54 PM   #280
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a clue...

In NY, businesses boarding up their storefronts are decorating the plywood with the statement: "We support Black Lives Matter"
Citation needed.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics