IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , donald trump , joe biden

Closed Thread
Old 3rd November 2020, 04:59 PM   #281
Bubba
Philosopher

Quote:
by Bubba View Post
Here's a clue...

In NY, businesses boarding up their storefronts are decorating the plywood with the statement: "We support Black Lives Matter"

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Citation needed.

Try common sense......better yet, fire your sources...they dont report these things to you.

Or do you actually think months of rioting looting and burning came from Trump supporters?

Why do you think the White House is being fenced off today??...Think Trump is concerned about Trump supporters??

Last edited by Bubba; 3rd November 2020 at 05:04 PM.
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:03 PM   #282
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Florida votes being counted now, 48%-51% with Trump in the lead, but only 1% of votes have been counted so far. Sitting on pins and needles here.

eta 2%.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 3rd November 2020 at 05:05 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:04 PM   #283
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
CNN is brilliant, constant drama, ‘Breaking Poll Flash’, ‘8% of Dingabedo County showing 2.1%lead amongst female lumberjacks for Biden’, with music going bam-ban bam BAM BAM.
They should do the snooker.
I'm glad the United States has serious news providers in addition to the major 24 hour cable news networks .

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
I'm basically going to look for four states first: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio.

If Trump loses any one of them things will get bad for him.
The suspense ending (or, well, nearly) early with Florida going blue would be a godsend. I would breathe a whole lot easier.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig

Last edited by Safe-Keeper; 3rd November 2020 at 05:09 PM.
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:05 PM   #284
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
Try common sense......better yet, fire your sources...they dont report these things to you.
Since you seem to be unable to give your sources, we can assume you are making things up.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:07 PM   #285
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
This is a power grab? Or sanity?
Or Fake News!!!?

(Those guidelines are not real. They are based somewhat on real guidelines though. But most of those things are recommendations.)
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:07 PM   #286
Venom
Illuminator

I'm basically looking at four states first: Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, and Ohio.

If Trump loses any one of them things will get bad for him.

Last edited by Venom; 3rd November 2020 at 05:10 PM.
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:09 PM   #287
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Biden is in the lead in Florida with 5% of votes counted. NRK (Norwegian state broadcaster) reports the race is very, very close.

Results may come in very fast now, according to NRK.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:13 PM   #288
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

20% (!) of Florida votes counted so far, Biden and Trump are still neck to neck, but Biden has a slight lead.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:14 PM   #289
Venom
Illuminator

52% reporting! is this real?
Venom is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:16 PM   #290
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherkeu View Post
It's a nanny state. No sanity about it. Citizens of CA are not toddlers.
Just wait and see what the voters have to say.
CA will still go to Biden (duh), but Dems wont have that huge 33pt lead like last time. That's my prediction.

(2016 CA election was Clinton: 8.8M, Trump 4.5M - which was over 1M votes more than her 3M margin in the pop vote)

Nanny state?

I guess you are unaware that there is an infectious disease that has killed a quarter of a million Americans. And what Governor Newsom has ordered is sensible. My parents in WW2 had to deal with rationing and even went to war. It's not like Newsom has made such an order to help him personally.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:20 PM   #291
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Or Fake News!!!?

(Those guidelines are not real. They are based somewhat on real guidelines though. But most of those things are recommendations.)
Thanks for this.

I wouldn't care if it were true. People are dying. Preventing more deaths is hardly outrageous.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:21 PM   #292
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Now NRK reports 10% of votes are counted in Florida . Don't know if it's the new estimate or the 20% estimate that is accurate.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:22 PM   #293
Armitage72
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
Or Fake News!!!?

I'm glad I read to the end before posting. That list is on Snopes.
They're general guidelines for private gatherings of people from multiple households, and have nothing to do with the holidays.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:25 PM   #294
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Biden is toast in Fla. Donald Trump only got 334k votes in Miami-Dade in 2016. Already, with 84% of the vote in, this year he's drawn 457k. Miami-Dade is the D strongpoint for Fla. Also the R's outvoted D's overall statewide. No one has ever won the state when their party didn't have more total votes statewide. I think you can stick a fork in Biden winning Fla at this point. Trump will win by a larger margin than last time in Fla.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:26 PM   #295
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I'm caught up on all the threads until now, but I'm not going to check the news for at least an hour or so, after some of the polls have closed and the real results start coming in.

Otherwise it's too stressful watching that tennis match.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:27 PM   #296
Lurch
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
That's me saying that when you have people who are burning cities down, throwing bricks at police's heads, attacking people they perceive to be the wrong political camp and/or wrong race and/or a business owner - and they've been doing this across the country for months, it isn't unreasonable to give the police / national guard orders to start firing at them with live rounds.

Because it isn't unreasonable. It's incredibly, breath-takingly basic and normal to suggest that.

It's actually remarkable that it wasn't done months ago. The great majority of these events happened BECAUSE it wasn't done.
Your premise is that property damage or inflicted injury warrants death. You don't see that as a disproportionate response?
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:31 PM   #297
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
The suspense ending (or, well, nearly) early with Florida going blue would be a godsend. I would breathe a whole lot easier.
As would I, but I still can't see an outcome that doesn't leave about a third of the population believing the election was rigged. A landslide either way would merely amplify the scale of the fraud in many minds.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:31 PM   #298
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Or do you actually think months of rioting looting and burning came from Trump supporters?

Why do you think the White House is being fenced off today??...Think Trump is concerned about Trump supporters??
Quote:
In NY, businesses boarding up their storefronts are decorating the plywood with the statement: "We support Black Lives Matter"
You stated this as an actual event; a fact. When you claimed that "Obama had pardoned Susan Rosenberg", that was likely just a case of sloppy research or faulty memory. This was just a blatant case of lying.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:31 PM   #299
Venom
Illuminator

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Biden is toast in Fla. Donald Trump only got 334k votes in Miami-Dade in 2016. Already, with 84% of the vote in, this year he's drawn 457k. Miami-Dade is the D strongpoint for Fla. Also the R's outvoted D's overall statewide. No one has ever won the state when their party didn't have more total votes statewide. I think you can stick a fork in Biden winning Fla at this point. Trump will win by a larger margin than last time in Fla.
Which may need to be counted until early Wednesday, which is illegitimate, according to Trump.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:32 PM   #300
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Which may need to be counted until early Wednesday, which is illegitimate, according to Trump.
So? That doesn't change the totals.
TahiniBinShawarma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:32 PM   #301
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
You stated this as an actual event; a fact. When you claimed that "Obama had pardoned Susan Rosenberg", that was likely just a case of sloppy research or faulty memory. This was just a blatant case of lying. As for
"my sources " not reporting these things to me, neither does anyone else.
Stacyhs is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:38 PM   #302
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I haven't seen this reported anywhere in the thread, but the FEDERAL judge in TX yesterday allowed the 127,000 drive through votes in the Democrat heavy county to be counted. As he is largely held to be very Republican biased this came as pleasant surprise.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:39 PM   #303
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

At this moment reports are that 79% of all votes in Florida have been counted. How are they counting so fast? Is there something shady here? (Biden and Trump are neck and neck.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/elect.../florida-2020/
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:41 PM   #304
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
At this moment reports are that 79% of all votes in Florida have been counted. How are they counting so fast? Is there something shady here? (Biden and Trump are neck and neck.)
Machines probably.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:42 PM   #305
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Now NRK reports 10% of votes are counted in Florida . Don't know if it's the new estimate or the 20% estimate that is accurate.
Don't know if you're having the same problem but here the news is being REALLY bad about not clarifying what combination of in person, early, and mail in votes they are using in any given presented number/percentage.
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:42 PM   #306
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

New York Times now reports Trump has a 94% chance of winning Florida .
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:43 PM   #307
eerok
Quixoticist

Still too close to call in Florida, 80% in, Biden holds small lead.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:45 PM   #308
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

This map is disconcerting. Unless I misred it, it shows the decided and undecided counties, and most of the undecided ones are red. Don't know the population of each, though, of course.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:46 PM   #309
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

New York Times now reports Trump has a 94% chance of winning Florida .

Yeah, I already explained why. 80% counted so far, most of the remaining 20% is from the Panhandle, solid R territory. Biden crapped out in Miami-Dade. There is no way he can win it.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:48 PM   #310
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

This map is disconcerting. Unless I misred it, it shows the decided and undecided counties, and most of the undecided ones are red. Don't know the population of each, though, of course.
I think you might want to put your hopes on another state at this point. Biden lost Florida.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:50 PM   #311
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Trump gains a small lead in Georgia and a huge lead in North Carolina.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:51 PM   #312
Distracted1
Philosopher

This damn thing is going to come down to PA after all.
I am not encouraged by that.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:52 PM   #313
Cain
Straussian

What is Trump's projected margin of victory in Florida?
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:52 PM   #314
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by TahiniBinShawarma View Post
Yeah, I already explained why. 80% counted so far, most of the remaining 20% is from the Panhandle, solid R territory. Biden crapped out in Miami-Dade. There is no way he can win it.
Looks bad, but they haven't called it yet.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...president.html

Right now NBC is saying too close to call.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:53 PM   #315
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Anyways, moving on.

To poke at an AP article -

Quote:
It’s a scenario that puts a lot of eyes on Florida. The state allows its election offices to process mail ballots 22 days before the election. It’s also the biggest swing state. As long as the race isn’t too close — a big “if” in a place famous for tight races — there could be a close-to-complete count by midnight.
The prep work is the part that really slows things down, in other words.

Last edited by Aridas; 3rd November 2020 at 05:55 PM.
Aridas is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:53 PM   #316
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Distracted1 View Post
This damn thing is going to come down to PA after all.
I am not encouraged by that.
Nor I.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:54 PM   #317
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Sanders would have won this.
Sideroxylon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:56 PM   #318
Cain
Straussian

It's only five o'clock (PST), so it makes sense that we're not in the bargaining phase yet.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:56 PM   #319
TahiniBinShawarma
Muse

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...president.html

Right now NBC is saying too close to call.

The only thing left is the panhandle which Trump wins easily. That's "deplorable" country.
Old 3rd November 2020, 05:57 PM   #320
crescent
Illuminator

Shame - they screwed it up big time in previous years so they busted their butt to get it right this time.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Back to Top
Closed Thread

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics