IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags inaugurations , joe biden , Kamala Harris , presidential events

Old 19th January 2021, 01:55 PM   #1
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Inauguration Day 20 Jan 2021

To commemorate this historical event of a change of the President of the United States of America, that only happens once very eight years or so - except when there is a lousy president who only lasts one term - I have opened up this thread, for people to discuss their thoughts throughout the day.

vilken tröst, vad än som kommer på!

Last edited by Vixen; 19th January 2021 at 02:03 PM.
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #2
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

The State of Georgia has finally certified Raphael Warnock and John Ossoff as winners of the Senatorial runoff. In addition to being Inauguration Day, tomorrow these two gentlemen will be sworn in by the Vice-President, balancing the Senate as fifty Republicans and fifty Democrats.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:00 PM   #3
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

What country are you talking about? If it's the US we have an inauguration every 4 years, even if the person being inaugurated is starting their second term.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:01 PM   #4
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What country are you talking about? If it's the US we have an inauguration every 4 years, even if the person being inaugurated is starting their second term.
Well yeah but you have to factor in the Leap Years, the Coriolis Effect, and the Mercator Projection.
JoeMorgue is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:03 PM   #5
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I see I am not the only one who sees echos of Lincoln's "Here I have lived" speech when leaving Springfield , Illinois to take up the Presidency in 1861 in Biden's farewell to Deleware speech today.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:04 PM   #6
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Thanks, I have duly edited the OP to make it clearer.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:05 PM   #7
Venom
Illuminator

errrr, unless anything extra happens, most of the day will be Biden and friends preparing for the inauguration. And he probably won't have much to do the rest of the day.
Venom is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:12 PM   #8
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Vixen View Post
Thanks, I have duly edited the OP to make it clearer.
It's still wrong: we do an inauguration every time. Every four years. Those who get two terms have two inaugurations. It's not per-person, it's per-term. And it would never be "or so". It's exactly four year terms. The US isn't parliamentary, we don't call elections whenever we feel like it. It's very, very rigid.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:17 PM   #9
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It's still wrong: we do an inauguration every time. Every four years. Those who get two terms have two inaugurations. It's not per-person, it's per-term. And it would never be "or so". It's exactly four year terms. The US isn't parliamentary, we don't call elections whenever we feel like it. It's very, very rigid.
Did you spot the rewording 'change of President'. Only three or four presidents did not have more than one term: Andrew Jackson iirc, Nixon and the current incumbent. I think Ford might be another.

Last edited by Vixen; 19th January 2021 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 19th January 2021, 02:43 PM   #10
Dread Pirate Roberts
Thinker

Did you spot the rewording 'change of President'. Only three or four presidents did not have more than one term: Andrew Johnson iirc, Nixon and the current incumbent. I think Ford might be another.
The number is actually 23, including Trump. It's just become much less common since the turn of the 20th Century.
Dread Pirate Roberts is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:47 PM   #11
Spektator

FDR still holds the record: four inaugurations, three terms, and 82 days of his fourth term.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:48 PM   #12
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

I am just glad that POS Trump only has about 19 more hours to go.

On 15 FEB 2019 'BobTheCoward' said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 02:50 PM   #13
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

I have a bottle of champagne in the fridge. It's getting popped tomorrow at 11:00 CST/12:00 EST.
Old 19th January 2021, 02:51 PM   #14
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I found out on HBO's Real Time that it's the birthday of both Bill Maher and Kelley Anne Conway. I wonder what she'll be wearing tomorrow?
Old 19th January 2021, 02:59 PM   #15
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
I have a bottle of champagne in the fridge. It's getting popped tomorrow at 11:00 CST/12:00 EST.
I'm celebrating by getting my first dose of the Covid vaccine! They'll be injecting the mind-control Gates-Soros microchip right at the moment the New World Order commences!!
Old 19th January 2021, 03:13 PM   #16
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Same here. Ok, 9:00 here on the Left Coast might be tad early, but during the afternoon for sure.
Old 19th January 2021, 03:20 PM   #17
slowsmile
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Same here. Ok, 9:00 here on the Left Coast might be tad early, but during the afternoon for sure.
Luckily it'll be early evening here in France when we pop the cork
slowsmile is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 03:23 PM   #18
bam
Scholar

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I found out on HBO's Real Time that it's the birthday of both Bill Maher and Kelley Anne Conway. I wonder what she'll be wearing tomorrow?
A huge smile on Maher and sackcloth and ashes for Kelley Ann?
bam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 03:30 PM   #19
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
A dumpster-load of insults.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 03:36 PM   #20
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

I'll be changing my profile pic after four long years. For some reason, I was never able to use if on ISF no matter how often I tried. I made sure the dimensions and pixel size were correct and it just would not work.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 19th January 2021 at 05:12 PM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 03:45 PM   #21
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

I bought stuff for a bloody Mary I plan to drink in the morning while I watch.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:21 PM   #22
Spektator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'll be changing my profile pic after four long years. For some reason, I was never able to use if on ISF no matter how often I tried. I made sure the dimensions and pixel size were correct and it would just not work.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...75ee550900.jpg
I changed mine, now that Warnock and Ossoff have been certified by Georgia as our two Senators.
Old 19th January 2021, 04:28 PM   #23
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Did you spot the rewording 'change of President'. Only three or four presidents did not have more than one term: Andrew Jackson iirc, Nixon and the current incumbent. I think Ford might be another.
Carter, GHWB, Hoover, sort of Johnson.

If you count people dying in office that adds some more.

However, it's good to see one more name on that list.

ETA: And, it's a good thing to have a thread for it. I don't have any church bells to ring at noon, but the passing of the hour will not go unnoticed.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 19th January 2021 at 04:30 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:29 PM   #24
crescent
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
The State of Georgia has finally certified Raphael Warnock and John Ossoff as winners of the Senatorial runoff. In addition to being Inauguration Day, tomorrow these two gentlemen will be sworn in by the Vice-President, balancing the Senate as fifty Republicans and fifty Democrats.
I didn't think that would happen so soon. I was thinking there would be court challenges dragging it out or months and months. Not necessarily good faith court challenges, just mindless frippery to delay them from being able to do anything.

I'm happy to be wrong about that.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 04:57 PM   #25
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I didn't think that would happen so soon. I was thinking there would be court challenges dragging it out or months and months. Not necessarily good faith court challenges, just mindless frippery to delay them from being able to do anything.

I'm happy to be wrong about that.
Court challenges don't usually delay certification. Also, both candidates did better than Biden. There wasn't a recount. Once I saw the margins, I figured they would both be certified within a week of the inaugural.
Old 19th January 2021, 05:09 PM   #26
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Did anyone watch the memorial to the people lost to COVID?

Quiet, respectful, understated elegance, no one bragging up themselves, concise and to the point, and Biden was actually the shortest part of the service.

Such a contrast to Trump. Well done!
Old 19th January 2021, 05:27 PM   #27
carrps
Thinker

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

Quiet, respectful, understated elegance, no one bragging up themselves, concise and to the point, and Biden was actually the shortest part of the service.

I agree. I gotta little verklempt.
carrps is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:03 PM   #28
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Did you spot the rewording 'change of President'.
You still have it wrong.

"The inauguration of the president of the United States is a ceremony to mark the commencement of a new four-year term of the president of the United States. The inauguration takes place for each new presidential term, even if the president is continuing in office for a second term."

Obama was inaugurated in 2009 and 2013

Only three or four presidents did not have more than one term: Andrew Jackson iirc, Nixon and the current incumbent. I think Ford might be another.
Wrong again

Andrew Jackson had two full terms, Richard Nixon had more than one term, he resigned during his second term.

John Quincy Adams, Martin Van Buren, James K. Polk, Franklin Pierce, James Buchanan, Rutherford B. Hayes, Benjamin Harrison, William Howard Taft, Herbert Hoover, Jimmy Carter, George H. W. Bush, Donald Trump & John Adams all only served one term

Additionally, Grover Cleveland had non-consecutive terms (the only president do so).
If you don't like my posts, my opinions, or my directness then put me on your ignore list. This will be of benefit to both of us; you won't have to take umbrage at my posts, and I won't have to waste my time talking to you... simples! !

Last edited by smartcooky; 19th January 2021 at 09:06 PM.
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 08:10 PM   #29
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You still have it wrong.

"The inauguration of the president of the United States is a ceremony to mark the commencement of a new four-year term of the president of the United States. The inauguration takes place for each new presidential term, even if the president is continuing in office for a second term."

But the corrected OP doesn't use the word "inauguration" at all, so it can't be used incorrectly.

Well no matter how often it happens, the important thing is that it will happen exactly once tomorrow.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:13 PM   #30
Regnad Kcin
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Horatius View Post

Originally Posted by carrps View Post
I agree. I gotta little verklempt.
It’s going to take a little readjustment.

Not dissimilar to those post-surgical videos of cochlear-implanted toddlers who can for the first time hear something.
Old 19th January 2021, 08:54 PM   #31
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
You still have it wrong.

I remember waiting for a haircut in a barbershop and hearing the only other patron saying "You gonna watch the in-******-ation"? Instant hot button, wanting to call him out as a racist ****. But I didn't.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:07 PM   #32
Spektator

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Court challenges don't usually delay certification. Also, both candidates did better than Biden. There wasn't a recount. Once I saw the margins, I figured they would both be certified within a week of the inaugural.
Yes both Ossoff and Warnock were well over the .5% margin of votes that in Georgia make a recount mandatory - so much over that Loeffler and Perdue had no plausible reason to call for a recount.

However, their victories have made the Georgia Republicans (a solid majority in the legislature) vow to tighten up 'em voter registrations, cull the voting lists of certain people, an' make it ooh jes' loads more difficult to request absentee ballots. Mebbe cut out early votin' too and do away with them dang ol' ballot boxes.

We really need national voting rights standards.
Old 19th January 2021, 09:31 PM   #33
rdaneel
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Spektator View Post
Yes both Ossoff and Warnock were well over the .5% margin of votes that in Georgia make a recount mandatory - so much over that Loeffler and Perdue had no plausible reason to call for a recount.

However, their victories have made the Georgia Republicans (a solid majority in the legislature) vow to tighten up 'em voter registrations, cull the voting lists of certain people, an' make it ooh jes' loads more difficult to request absentee ballots. Mebbe cut out early votin' too and do away with them dang ol' ballot boxes.

We really need national voting rights standards.
Senate Democrats make democracy reform first bill of new majority
rdaneel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:36 PM   #34
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
I'll be changing my profile pic after four long years. For some reason, I was never able to use if on ISF no matter how often I tried. I made sure the dimensions and pixel size were correct and it just would not work.

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...75ee550900.jpg
There are two pics - a profile and an avatar pic. I'm not seeing your avatar as the pic you posted.
"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:38 PM   #35
slyjoe
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
We are in a pandemic. You should have improved your day-drinking skills by now.

"You have done nothing to demonstrate an understanding of scientific methodology or modern skepticism, both of which are, by necessity, driven by the facts and evidence, not by preconceptions, and both of which are strengthened by, and rely upon, change." - Arkan Wolfshade
slyjoe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 09:54 PM   #36
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by rdaneel View Post
I'd have to see the bill, but I get the impression it might not pass. I wish Democrats would play things a bit smarter. Put in the reforms that almost everybody can agree on.

Adding in ethics rules, especially for Congress, is likely to put many people off. Members of Congress aren't real keen on passing laws that restrict themselves. Many Republicans will likely view those sections of the bill as accusing them of being unethical during the election. If they feel the bill is attacking them, they will fight back and vote it down.

Many Republicans claimed all kinds of problems with this election. Address those concerns. Then they can package that with something like requiring no-excuse absentee or mail-in ballots. They can do that for House and Senate elections, but since Presidential elections are on the same ballot the law would basically apply to Presidential elections as well unless a State really, really wanted to work around it.

A bill now, likely without a thorough review of all the issues and no real plan to get something that Republicans will pass seems more like a symbolic gesture than any sort of real attempt at reform.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:13 PM   #37
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

The Biden Presidency: The Pause Before the Storm

I wish Biden well, and Harris even more so, given it is she who most likely will run in 2024 against Trump or his White supremacists replacement.

I retain, however, the same sober regard as most Europeans, firmly believing Trump marked the definitive end of the postwar order, and new strategic alignments must be made.

At the end of the Obama admin, the US was on the brink of signing the TPP and was a seen as a solid, trusted, and oft-admired partner to most of the free world. Oops! Trump strangled that baby in the bathtub, along with 70 million other hicks, savages, and backstabbing Libertarians.

Post-Putin, my bet is on a Russia-EU reconciliation and partnership, able to offset and compete with either the US or China. I am quite certain Germany is now hard at work grooming potential new Russian leaders, and it is already seen as the primary haven for its dissidents. Such a partnership would be quite a bit more formidable than a nativist, science-phobic US no longer able to attract the free infusions of brain power and know-how it has vitally depended on since the last major war.

The US could, maybe, perhaps yet manage a win, but it would truly take flushing "true" America down the toilet and finding a way for the remaining locals to compete with far larger numbers of better-educated scientists and engineers elsewhere, all hell-bent on surpassing them. Won't be easy without the dollar as reserve currency, paying top euro and yuan for loans on ballooning debt.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 19th January 2021 at 10:14 PM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th January 2021, 10:20 PM   #38
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

It is after midnight, which means the very last day of the Trump presidency has begun.

Soon, Trump will take his rightful place along such luminaries as James Buchanan, Franklin Pierce, and Herbert Hoover.

If only he had more closely emulated William Henry Harrison, history would have treated him more kindly.
Old 19th January 2021, 10:39 PM   #39
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
It is after midnight, which means the very last day of the Trump presidency has begun.

Soon, Trump will take his rightful place along such luminaries as James Buchanan, Franklin Pierce, and Herbert Hoover.

If only he had more closely emulated William Henry Harrison, history would have treated him more kindly.
That's unfair to Hoover. Hoover was a good guy (in some regards, but not others) and he had some great accomplishments before becoming President. But he was a "behind the scenes" management type of guy, not a politician. He let the Republican party run over him telling him he had to do certain things for political reasons that were against his nature, and that did not turn out well.

Maybe go with Harding instead.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 19th January 2021 at 10:43 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 02:19 AM   #40
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I bought stuff for a bloody Mary I plan to drink in the morning while I watch.
I'll still be awake, so I'll just take a pass on the tomato juice.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics