IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags inaugurations , joe biden , Kamala Harris , presidential events

Old 20th January 2021, 09:23 PM   #161
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
Steve Reeves. Fight me.

(Lou Ferrigno and Ah-nold are 2 and 3)
But that leaves The Rock out as being somehow below what's his name.

(Thank you Mystery Science Theater 3000 for letting me know the Reeves and Mikey references.)
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th January 2021, 09:32 PM   #162
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I certainly would have preferred someone more progressive. But I believe more than ever we made the right choice for this time in history. Biden is a good man with a good heart.

I see a man of character and kindness. Someone who thinks of others before himself. Someone who doesn't thirst for the spotlight, but for the light of truth. He doesn't need to prove that he is smarter than the experts.
Old 20th January 2021, 09:49 PM   #163
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
... I don't expect great things from Biden, but if the truth be told, I don't want great things from Biden. I just want him to not be Trump.
There is at least one great thing I expect from Biden, getting ahold of this pandemic before it kills all of us.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 12:43 AM   #164
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Today, we swore into office a Catholic as President, a mixed race female as Vice President, a Jewish man, a Hispanic and an African American into the United States Senate.

The beautiful colors of America.

VP Kamala Harris (can't stop enjoying writing that) laughing when she read her name before swearing in Padilla was so refreshing.

Last edited by Firestone; 21st January 2021 at 12:49 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 12:49 AM   #165
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

I certainly would have preferred someone more progressive. But I believe more than ever we made the right choice for this time in history. Biden is a good man with a good heart.

I see a man of character and kindness. Someone who thinks of others before himself. Someone who doesn't thirst for the spotlight, but for the light of truth. He doesn't need to prove that he is smarter than the experts.
The more I think about Joe Biden, the more I think he might be the perfect man for the job at this time. I see basically the same thing you do, but I think there's also a hard edge underneath. He does not suffer fools gladly, and he's not afraid to call BS when he sees it. I think he'll have some interesting reactions to pompous grandstanding, especially when the Republicans do it, but maybe even for his own party.

I think he'll be willing to work with Republicans, and I think he would rather compromise and get some of what he wants than score political points by getting nothing. We'll see.
Old 21st January 2021, 01:15 AM   #166
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Today, we swore into office a Catholic as President, a mixed race female as Vice President, a Jewish man, a Hispanic and an African American into the United States Senate.

The beautiful colors of America.
Beyond the symbolism, there also is the reality of US history.

"Ossof will be sworn in using a book of Hebrew scripture once owned by Rabbi Jacob Rothschild, who led Atlanta’s historic synagogue The Temple...
The rabbi was a key MLK ally who encouraged ATL’s Jewish community to fight for civil rights and oppose hate & intolerance.

Rothschild’s synagogue was bombed in ‘58 by white supremacists angered by his opposition to segregation; it was a turning point in ATL. Civic leaders rallied behind him, and Jewish Atlantans who were wary of getting involved in politics woke up.

And, on a sadder note, The Temple's website was targeted on Friday when Warnock delivered a sermon at the annual MLK Shabbat. Authorities are investigating, but The Temple's president suspects racists/anti-Semites are behind the attack. "

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status...54977043881986
Old 21st January 2021, 01:32 AM   #167
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
To his credit, he has a lovely dog who seems to love him. That gets bonus points from me.
But no alligator....

And what about a few cats?
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 01:34 AM   #168
catsmate
No longer the 1

BTW Amanda Gorman was utterly brilliant.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:18 AM   #169
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
But no alligator....

And what about a few cats?
Why would he need cats if he doesn't have an alligator?

Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:21 AM   #170
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Why would he need cats if he doesn't have an alligator?

To keep the dogs in line of course....
Old 21st January 2021, 02:24 AM   #171
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post

To keep the dogs in line of course....
Cats. Or as my dogs call them: chew toys.

Last edited by Stacyhs; 21st January 2021 at 02:29 AM.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:39 AM   #172
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Whole sentences. Calm and sense and purpose. Duty to the office. Genuinely representative team-members. ...normalcy.

And no whining chicken's-bum-puckering mouths or stupid accordion jazz-hands. Thank all that is holy that racket is GONE.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015

Last edited by Norman Alexander; 21st January 2021 at 03:27 AM.
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 03:25 AM   #173
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

It's a pretty sad statement on where we are right now that the appointment of a centre-right rich old white man as president has people in tears but I guess we should be thankful for small mercies at the moment. it could have been a lot worse.
Old 21st January 2021, 03:26 AM   #174
Norman Alexander
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Archie Gemmill Goal View Post
It's a pretty sad statement on where we are right now that the appointment of a centre-right rich old white man as president has people in tears but I guess we should be thankful for small mercies at the moment. it could have been a lot worse.
It WAS a lot worse. Until today.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 05:00 AM   #175
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Calling Joe Biden a rich old white guy is absurd especially in light of who was just POTUS.

I challenge you to look at the people he just hired and compare it to the group who was there. This is easily the most diverse in history.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:06 AM   #176
Steve
Philosopher

Wrong word.

And it has a lot more to do with who is NOT president than who is.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:27 AM   #177
angrysoba
Philosophile

Originally Posted by ToddH View Post
I'm gonna sleep a lot easier tonight knowing the nightmare that was the last four years is over.
It was just a horrible dream..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IT 2024.jpg (40.2 KB, 9 views)
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 05:29 AM   #178
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Calling Joe Biden a rich old white guy is absurd
It's a statement of fact.

Which was my point. That Trump has lowered the bar so much that anyone who isn't him brings tears to people's eyes.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:30 AM   #179
Archie Gemmill Goal
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Wrong word.

And it has a lot more to do with who is NOT president than who is.
Indeed. Which is my point.
Old 21st January 2021, 05:45 AM   #180
Steve
Philosopher

Indeed. Which is my point.
Then why is it "sad"? People are happy because there is a vast improvement in the person who was elected to the presidency.

Don't get me wrong. It has been my opinion for years that old men are the worst people to hold positions of government responsibility. I would love to see a majority female government - in any democratic country.

Given the current state of US politics I merely disagree with your hyperbole and think it is misplaced.
Old 21st January 2021, 06:23 AM   #181
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Which was my point. That Trump has lowered the bar so much that anyone who isn't him brings tears to people's eyes.
Nobody wants herpes but if it had to be herpes or AIDS everyone would pick herpes. Consider Biden as a series of cheerful red bumps, oozing with the promise of a less terrible tomorrow.
Old 21st January 2021, 07:08 AM   #182
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Despite suggestions from some progressives that Biden is some sort of Republican in Democratic clothes, he is not "centre-right". He is a moderate (yes, closer to the center than Sanders/Warren) but he is still definitely on the left side of the political spectrum... He wants improves social programs, he wants increased taxes on the wealthy, he wants to protect abortion and minority rights.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 07:31 AM   #183
Spektator
Watching . . . always watching.

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. Everett's speech was written down so we do know what he said.

Still I use to know Lincoln's Gettysburg Address by heart. Can't say I know a single line of Everett's speech.
Here's a typical paragraph from Everett's remarks:

Quote:
So we had a big day in the stock market, things are coming back and they're coming back very rapidly, a lot sooner than people thought. But then the -- then the virus came in and the world is a different place but we're now getting back and one of the reasons the market's doing so -- it's almost at the point that it was at prior to the plague -- almost. China has 1.4 billion people, we have 325 -- probably 325 million approximately -- nobody can give the exact count, it’s amazing, we're trying to get an exact count but you have, over the years, many illegals who have come into the country, so it depends on how you want to count it. But we’ll have an accurate and complete, very complete because that is so important to know, in two weeks. Two weeks, ten days, soon, very soon, because that is so very important.
Just kidding. Here is a link to Everett's speech, which is typically florid and grandiose, in stark contrast to Lincoln's short, to the point remarks. In his day, Lincoln received a mixed reaction from the press for his address, with some critics praising the speech for its deep sincerity and encapsulation of the meaning of sacrifice, others calling it an embarrassment.
Spektator is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 08:56 AM   #184
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The more I think about Joe Biden, the more I think he might be the perfect man for the job at this time. I see basically the same thing you do, but I think there's also a hard edge underneath. He does not suffer fools gladly, and he's not afraid to call BS when he sees it. I think he'll have some interesting reactions to pompous grandstanding, especially when the Republicans do it, but maybe even for his own party.

I think he'll be willing to work with Republicans, and I think he would rather compromise and get some of what he wants than score political points by getting nothing. We'll see.
I think (and hope) you have a point here. Even though I tend to be a bit more progressive and radical than some, and would have preferred some other candidate initially, I'm pleasantly surprised by Biden's firmness and seeming commitment to core ideas. Of course talk and action are not the same. We'll see how he actually does soon enough.

But as for compromise, after a long career of walking the political tightrope, it might be that Biden, now not only an old man but a president, will find himself emboldened, ready to lay down a legacy of something more substantial than mere survival. Compromise is great only if it actually gets you something.

I'm put in mind of the Affordable Care Act, large parts of which I recall reading, were based on attempts to compromise with Republicans, who insisted on conditions then turned around and voted against it anyway and blamed the Democrats for their mess. Obama and Biden got suckered there, I think. I would not count on it happening again.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)

Last edited by bruto; 21st January 2021 at 08:58 AM.
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 09:30 AM   #185
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Apparently QAnon and Proud Boys are deflating now that their Führer wasn't reinstated for four eight 12 more years after all.

Let's hope a lot of Trump supporters go quiet now.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 09:32 AM   #186
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Apparently QAnon and Proud Boys are deflating now that their Führer wasn't reinstated for four eight 12 more years after all.

Give them a bit of time to come up with a rationalisation.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 09:57 AM   #187
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Calling Joe Biden a rich old white guy is absurd especially in light of who was just POTUS.

I challenge you to look at the people he just hired and compare it to the group who was there. This is easily the most diverse in history.
I wonder if there is a difference between hiring/placing the best qualified person for the job regardless of skin color as opposed to the best qualified person of a certain skin color for that job.

Seems that one would attain the best person for the job without race being a factor and the other way makes the person a "token" position for their particular race. Which of the two would seem more racist to you?

Or viewed another way. Say we take out a few hiring ads in a local paper.

One ad reads: "Seeking qualified individuals for specific job. All applications considered regardless of race."

To me, this first ad would be the way to go. Skin color is not considered.

And the other: "Seeking qualified White person for specific job. Other races need not apply."

Yikes!

Does one of those seem racist to you?

Or yet another: "Seeking qualified Black person for specific job. Other races need not apply."

Yikes!

To me only the first ad was acceptable as non racist. How you view the others is up to you I suppose.

Setting an example of token positions sends a message and it is akin to two of those hypothetical ads I find unacceptable for the same reasons.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:00 AM   #188
Garrison
Philosopher

And from a progressive point of view don't forget Bernie Sanders is going to be the Chair of the Budget Committee, that should provide a bit of excitement.
Old 21st January 2021, 10:01 AM   #189
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

You can hope. I'd rather the Trump supporters be vocal. If they go quiet there's a greater chance that they are plotting.
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:20 AM   #190
Safe-Keeper
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Give them a bit of time to come up with a rationalisation.
Oh, they have rationalizations .

Q has the flu, and has delayed the coup. They'll try again on March 20th.
Biden wasn't really sworn in, Trump will continue as "shadow president".
Biden is Q.

I'm just wondering how many people will stick with them. Like when a sect gathers in the corn field on the date they've been anticipating, and the mothership doesn't appear.
"He's like a drunk being given a sobriety test by the police after being pulled over. Just as a drunk can't walk a straight line, Trump can't think in a straight line. He's all over the place."--Stacyhs
"If you are still hung up on that whole words-have-meaning thing, then 2020 is going to be a long year for you." --Ladewig
Safe-Keeper is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:34 AM   #191
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
I wonder if there is a difference between hiring/placing the best qualified person for the job regardless of skin color as opposed to the best qualified person of a certain skin color for that job.
No you don't.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:37 AM   #192
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Biden may be rich now but his wealth has come as a result of, and after, his vice-presidency from book deals and speaking fees.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/so...den-net-worth/

Quote:
As recently as November 2009, Joe Biden's net worth was less than $30,000, according to CBS, but life post-vice presidency has been quite lucrative for President Obama's former number two. When Biden released his financial disclosures in July of 2019, they showed that he and his wife Jill had earned more than $15 million in 2017 and 2018.

More specifically, the Bidens reported an adjusted gross income of roughly $11 million in 2017 and $4.6 million in 2018. The bulk of that number comes from a multi-book deal with Flatiron Books valued at $8 million per Publishers Weekly, but the Bidens also earned a sizable income from speaking engagements.

The AP reports that Biden's basic speaking fee was $100,000, but it ranged from $40,000 to $190,000. The New York Times also notes that Biden made additional unpaid speaking engagements during this time which are not listed on the disclosure, citing his campaign.

Additionally, the disclosures reveal that the former VP earned $540,000 as a professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s Penn Biden Center for Diplomacy and Global Engagement.
So for most of his life he was not rich.

Trump's net worth estimates range from zero (after paying his debts or declaring bankruptcy) to $3.3-billion (his estimate). See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wealth..._own_net_worth
Old 21st January 2021, 10:38 AM   #193
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

I'm just wondering how many people will stick with them. Like when a sect gathers in the corn field on the date they've been anticipating, and the mothership doesn't appear.
I saw someone draw parallels to Millerism in an article. Some will move on and some will dig in and reformulate.

Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 10:52 AM   #194
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Dr. Keith View Post
No you don't.
True, but a correct beginning to the hypothetical.
Old 21st January 2021, 11:09 AM   #195
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I saw someone draw parallels to Millerism in an article. Some will move on and some will dig in and reformulate.
I'm always reminded of the very funny sketch from Beyond the Fringe, in which the faithful gather on a mountain to await the end of the world, as timed by "the ancient pyramidic scrolls and me Ingersoll watch," which ends with the minister acknowledging that it was not quite the conflagration they'd expected, but "never you mind. Same time tomorrow."

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 12:04 PM   #196
Bubba
Philosopher

Meanwhile, in other inauguration day news....

‘We Are Ungovernable’

Quote:
January 20, 2021

Antifa in Seattle and Portland Smash Property, Oppose Biden and Police:
‘We Are Ungovernable’

https://www.theepochtimes.com/antifa...g-2021-01-21-1
Bubba is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st January 2021, 02:01 PM   #197
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

True, but a correct beginning to the hypothetical.
No, it is never correct to start with a lie. Do better.

Old 21st January 2021, 02:04 PM   #198
Mader Levap
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
‘We Are Ungovernable’
I am glad our mockery about you being gone for x weeks after 20 Jan caused you to be back so quickly after your dreams dashed.

One ad reads: "Seeking qualified individuals for specific job. All applications considered regardless of race."

To me, this first ad would be the way to go. Skin color is not considered.

And the other: "Seeking qualified White person for specific job. Other races need not apply."

Yikes! Does one of those seem racist to you?

Or yet another: "Seeking qualified Black person for specific job. Other races need not apply."

Yikes!
It is pretty much first time I agree with ChrisBFRPKY, at least as he wrote. I consider quotas, gender parity, etc as feel-good measures that won't actually do anything except fulfilling ideological wankery of left.

Actual problem is equality (or rather lack of it) of opportunity, lack of social mobility, increasing wealth inequality etc. Gender/race/whatever quotas are, at best, small pink bandaid on gaping wound.
Old 21st January 2021, 02:21 PM   #199
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

‘We Are Ungovernable’
Quote:
Quote:
January 20, 2021

Antifa in Seattle and Portland Smash Property, Oppose Biden and Police:
‘We Are Ungovernable’
https://www.theepochtimes.com/antifa...g-2021-01-21-1

Are these the same antifa that were responsible for the rioting at the Capitol on Jan. 6th?

Old 21st January 2021, 02:46 PM   #200
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

No, it is never correct to start with a lie. Do better.
A quick review will reveal my post begins as a reply to another. How I begin or end depends on where I intend to go within that post as my personal literary choice. You may be a bit behind as the response and the hypothetical was not addressed to you. You can choose to like it or not but there it is.

I can feel something from your multiple replies to my posts that seems like a seething desire to scorn a Trump supporter. By all means feel free to play. I'm not here at the ICF as a Conservative because I fear debate....

I voted Trump in 2016, 2020, and I'll likely vote for him in 2024 if he runs.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics