IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags laptops

Old 22nd December 2005, 04:29 AM   #1
bignickel
Mad Mod Poet God

Laptops on airplanes

Ok, I DON'T want to spend for biz or 1st class, so that relegates me to coach.

Certain coach seats have a plugin for laptops. However, it's the wierd 'aircraft' power socket.

Now: I DO have an AC converter that plugs into a car lighter socket.

Anyone know where you can buy a cord that plugs into airline power sockets (the ones travelers can use to plug laptops into), and terminates in a car lighter receptacle?

Couldn't find this thing at Radio Shack last night.
"You can find that book everywhere and the risk is that many people who read it believe that those fairy tales are real. I think I have the responsibility to clear things up to unmask the cheap lies contained in books like that."
- Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone

Last edited by bignickel; 22nd December 2005 at 04:32 AM.
bignickel is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd December 2005, 10:12 PM   #2
DoubtingStephen
Queer Propagandist

There are two different styles of airplane CD power connectors. One is the same as the CD connector in a car, the one that was formerly used as a cigar lighter. American Airlines is one company that uses this type of DC power connector.

The other type of airplane CD power connector is smaller.

Many (most?) auto-air power supplies have both connectors, the larger auto style plug can be removed from the smaller connector.

You can see which seats are likely to have power connectors at www.seatguru.com.
DoubtingStephen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th December 2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

I saw a cartoon online a while back- a guy has plugged in his laptop on an aircraft and the screen reads " Found New Hardware: Airbus A320. Format Y/N?"

Anyone seen it? I wish I had bookmarked it.
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 08:11 AM   #4
DaveW
Critical Thinker

Some Northwest flights have standard AC plugs. Almost all the others have the special airline plug (if they have a power outlet at all - check www.seatguru.com for info). You can usually get an all-in-one type adapter at radio shack (the iGo stuff). However, you are limited, even on the flights with standard AC adapters to 70W (I think) draw, so if your laptop is a power hog (like mine), you are still out of luck (you will trip the seat's breaker). Good luck.

Last edited by DaveW; 27th December 2005 at 08:14 AM.
DaveW is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th December 2005, 08:18 PM   #5
Ducky

Originally Posted by bignickel View Post
Ok, I DON'T want to spend for biz or 1st class, so that relegates me to coach.

Certain coach seats have a plugin for laptops. However, it's the wierd 'aircraft' power socket.

Now: I DO have an AC converter that plugs into a car lighter socket.

Anyone know where you can buy a cord that plugs into airline power sockets (the ones travelers can use to plug laptops into), and terminates in a car lighter receptacle?

Couldn't find this thing at Radio Shack last night.

I recently bought an adapter for the car for my laptop and it had a plug to use on airplanes. Look for an adapter that does both, they're out there, and not too expensive.
Ducky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th December 2005, 06:25 AM   #6
Soapy Sam
Penultimate Amazing

And if you hear the engines slow down when you plug it in...
Soapy Sam is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Computers and the Internet