IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 911 conspiracy theory , CT humor , truther dictionary

Reply
Old 9th November 2006, 02:31 AM   #81
celestrin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
Could someone in here translate the term "Realistice" that some
of the truthmovement use ... and/or it´s meaning?
Realistice? From latin "realistitium". -stitium; a stoppage, therefore stoppage of reality. Look up solstice for references

ETA quote
celestrin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 02:36 AM   #82
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,396
And what does Alfred´s whole sentence mean in this relation?

Originally Posted by Alfred
"Has Anyone Seen A Realistice Explanation For Free Fall Of The Towers?"
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 02:45 AM   #83
Big Al
Mage Questor
 
Big Al's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,125
So the question is "Has Anybody Seen A Stoppage-Of-Reality Explanation For The Fall Of The Twin Towers?"

In that case, yes, I have seen a boatload of 'em on this site and others. These CT guys certainly know how to bludgeon reality to a stop.
__________________
I don't believe in God. I stopped needing a comfort blanket a long time ago.
Big Al is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 02:51 AM   #84
gumboot
lorcutus.tolere
 
gumboot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 25,327
Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post


I thought about adding after 'pithy': not in the Marquis de Carabas sense of the word, but I was in a hurry, and if I did, then you wouldn't have learned something.

BTW: "sir"??

You have to imagine an indignant edwardian English gentleman when you read those lines... it only works if he says "sir".

-Gumboot
__________________

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti têde
keimetha tois keinon rhémasi peithomenoi.


A fan of fantasy? Check out Project Dreamforge.
gumboot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 02:58 AM   #85
celestrin
Thinker
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 173
Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
And what does Alfred´s whole sentence mean in this relation?
First off - I'm joking, Olli. I haven't got a clue about latin. Not a normal, let alone a raging one. But -stitium does mean what I said.

Well, "realistice" may either be a misspelt "realistic", or Alfred might be pulling our collective leg the whole time. In this case I would probably "translate" it as "Has Anyone Seen An Explanation For Free Fall Of The Towers Where Reality Doesn't Matter?"
celestrin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 04:40 AM   #86
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 25,322
Just to clear things up, myofascial release is a massage technique. Really. I learned this while working for a chiropractor.

ETA: And for the benefit of lurkers who happen to be my wife, I learned this in a totally non-massage setting.

Last edited by jhunter1163; 9th November 2006 at 04:41 AM. Reason: To save my own life
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 04:48 AM   #87
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,396
Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
ETA: And for the benefit of lurkers who happen to be my wife, I learned this in a totally non-massage setting.
LMAO... And to my girlfriend: I never used to post in here, promised.

Last edited by Oliver; 9th November 2006 at 04:51 AM.
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th November 2006, 03:26 PM   #88
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 38,806
Originally Posted by gumboot View Post
You have to imagine an indignant edwardian English gentleman when you read those lines... it only works if he says "sir".

-Gumboot


I thought as much, except I pictured a gruff English army major. It still worked.

Actually, I was thinking, the MdeC sense of the word is actually a high compliment. He is the dark lord of the pith, after all. And he makes some very pithy comments, 'JAQing off' being one of them. And he is good at taking the... you know.
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th November 2006, 06:45 PM   #89
rwguinn
Penultimate Amazing
 
rwguinn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: 16 miles from 7 lakes
Posts: 11,104
Crater: A huge pile

Does anyone else here begin to think CTers speak in (english)^-1 ?
__________________
"Political correctness is a doctrine,...,which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
"
I pointed out that his argument was wrong in every particular, but he rightfully took me to task for attacking only the weak points." Myriad http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?postid=6853275#post6853275
rwguinn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th November 2006, 05:32 PM   #90
Triterope
Muse
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 916
Here's a great one somebody used on the SLC blog:

La Resisdunce - any faction of conspiracy theorists that uses revolutionary and militaristic language to describe itself, despite being made up of people who haven't so much as fired a gun their lives.
Triterope is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2006, 12:38 AM   #91
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic
 
qarnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,992
Warner Brothers Principle - The theory that an aircraft impacting a concrete wall should pass straight through, leaving a perfect cookie-cutter outline of itself.
__________________
"In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy, the world's worst nuclear accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID HERE]" - Greenpeace press release.
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2006, 01:06 AM   #92
maccy
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,094
evapidoration - the process by which steel turns instantly into a gas without melting or glowing, believed to require Star Wars beam technology or nanobots.

the no s**t shear schlock holmesian technique - claiming to have eliminated all possibilities and so leaving only your unlikely theory, which must therefore be true because a fictional character invented by a man who believed in faeries and spiritualism says so.

Last edited by maccy; 13th November 2006 at 01:07 AM. Reason: profanity filter
maccy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2006, 07:42 AM   #93
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,396
"Inside Job": A term used by 9/11 conspiracy theorists
that means: The official version is to complex to under-
stand, so the government must be involved by blowing up
the WTC-Site

>>> See: medieval Witch hunts.

Illustration:

Last edited by Oliver; 13th November 2006 at 07:47 AM.
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th November 2006, 08:57 AM   #94
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 25,322
woogle (v.) - The practice of searching Google for conspiracy-minded websites to bolster one's nonsensical CT claim.

Ex: "I woogled for alien reptiles and found a lot of really useful stuff."
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2007, 07:23 PM   #95
maccy
Master Poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,094
I'm bumping this from way back because it was so much fun. Surely we must have some new entries by now?
maccy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2007, 07:40 PM   #96
Coritani
Critical Thinker
 
Coritani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 317
According to this person:

Disintegrate: Vaporize into nothingness
Coritani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2007, 11:31 PM   #97
Myriad
The Clarity Is Devastating
 
Myriad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Betwixt
Posts: 17,637
bantopia -- the paradise that results from excluding all the rational intelligent people

confiction, daffyduction, and craziation -- the mechanisms of heat transfer that guarantee structural members will be unaffected by fire, while also permitting thermite reaction products to stay red-hot inside jumbled piles of gigantic heat sinks for months

cantex plane -- a hypothetical aircraft which, despite having unprecendented capabilities or qualities, would not, even if it existed, make the theory requiring its existence any more plausible

pinkslipnosis -- mysterious altered state of consciousness in which employees refrain from revealing evidence their bosses committed mass murder due to fear of losing the privelege of working for those bosses

exploseiving -- sorting through quotations and interpreting any occurrence of words related to "blow," "pull," blast," "set off," "down," or any word meaning damage or destroy in any sense, as a reference to bombs or detonating charges. Example: "We decided we had to cut and run" = "We decided we had to set off demolition charges to cut the support beams and then run away while the building collapsed."

pull-it surprise -- an award earned by imperfectly mimicking the jargon of people one has been working with and thereby, according to the misapplication of completely different jargon, unexpectedly confessing to a major crime

hate truss -- the structure connecting the ultra-leftist core with the Nazi perimeter, uniting them into a strong rigid framework

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2007, 12:07 AM   #98
Mr.D
Self Assessed Dunning-Kruger Expert
 
Mr.D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,178
Lieonist - The "we're not racist," self-sworn mortal enemies of Zionists. Often heard using the phrase "I'm not antisemetic but ..."

Duhmerican fRepress - An entirely reLIEable source. A good publication to cite when one needs to repress actual facts.

Calculashun - Shunning logic, applicability or sense while punching a bunch of numbers semirandomly into a calculator and coming up with a number that you claim proves your point - even if it does exactly the opposite.

Prebunking - Being so desperate to glorify oneself that you leak enough information with your "pre-announcements" that skeptics prove you wrong before you even post your "proof."
Mr.D is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2007, 02:13 PM   #99
Bell
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 21,050
He Funny new submissions, people.

Confiction - Blaming innocent people of commiting crimes and/or massmurder using fantasized evidence, ie, "Silverstein blew up the WTC towers using spaceborn beam weapon."
Bell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2007, 04:31 PM   #100
A W Smith
Philosopher
 
A W Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,032
too bad no one has a meta HTML filter to replace words or add them within CT web sites. I really enjoyed the old Zippy meets meta HTML some 10 years ago.

Last edited by A W Smith; 12th January 2007 at 05:29 PM.
A W Smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2007, 05:23 PM   #101
Fnord
Metasyntactic Variable
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,623
Bushadow (n.) - (1) Code of honor based on Japanese Bushido, now practised only by a certain Texas oil dynasty, wherein its followers would rather die than admit that they really run the government, and provide disinformation on 911 to the media; (2) A clandestine agent of the NWO (see "Shill Oil Company").

Shill Oil Company (n.) - Front organisation for the U.S.A. branch of the NWO, based on a 1583 acre estate located seven miles outside Crawford, Texas, and with its main office on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington, D.C.
__________________
Belief is the subjective acceptance of a (valid or invalid) concept, opinion, or theory;
Faith is the unreasoned belief in improvable things;
and Knowledge is the reasoned belief in provable things.
Belief itself proves nothing.

Last edited by Fnord; 12th January 2007 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Deleted entry on "Sheople"
Fnord is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th January 2007, 11:25 AM   #102
Oliver
Penultimate Amazing
 
Oliver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 17,396
PFT - (Pilots for Twoof)

Pronounced: PFFFFFFFT!
Oliver is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 01:52 AM   #103
Orphia Nay
Penguilicious Spodmaster.
Tagger
 
Orphia Nay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Ponylandistan Presidential Palace (above the Spods' stables).
Posts: 38,806
Bumped for the newbies, and because it's a classic, and because I was referring to it in the humour forum.

And I just found another entry that's entirely appropriate for some woos/twoofers I've been debating:

Originally Posted by jhunter1163 View Post
woogle (v.) - The practice of searching Google for conspiracy-minded websites to bolster one's nonsensical CT claim.

Ex: "I woogled for alien reptiles and found a lot of really useful stuff."
So true, and so funny, jhunter!
__________________
"We stigmatize and send to the margins
people who trigger in us the feelings we want to avoid"
- Melinda Gates, "The Moment of Lift".
Orphia Nay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 02:03 AM   #104
LashL
Goddess of Legaltainment™
 
LashL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 35,778
Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Bumped for the newbies, and because it's a classic, and because I was referring to it in the humour forum.

And I just found another entry that's entirely appropriate for some woos/twoofers I've been debating:



So true, and so funny, jhunter!

Most definitely worth bumping for the classic that it is. (Note to self: bump it again in 30 days, and ask secretary to diarize same 25 days from now. )

Last edited by LashL; 18th December 2007 at 02:08 AM.
LashL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 03:25 AM   #105
eromitlab
Muse
 
eromitlab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 919
al-CIA-duh - the real group that pulled off the alleged events of 9/11 (can't take credit for that one; it's frequently used by a Jonesie on reddit)

conspiralcy - a small group of people that secretly plot and orchestrate a huge event, marked by a rapid increase in the number of people needed to orchestrate and execute the event as questions are asked and new material is needed

coolintelpro - openly accusing the government of watching your actions regarding troof because they see you as a threat and deriding them for it even though you know it's not actually happening, while secretly hoping that it will happen because it will make you feel important and noteworthy

detale - an inconsistency found in the events of 9/11 that is best explained with a rambling and fictional account, backed up with nothing tangible

infowar - the battle between the evil government and selfless patriots like Alex Jones for control over what you think, say and do; usually fought and infrequently won by only one side

Jonesie - believer in whatever Alex Jones says on his radio show and posts on his websites, awaits Jones's calls to "take action" and does so when asked

legitimaze - an attempt made by a troofer to prove their claims with a lengthy list of links detailing many different theories and inconsistencies regarding 9/11, some of which may contradict each other

postoolates - new questions asked and allegations made about 9/11 well after previous questions and statements are thoroughly debunked and posters have moved on, usually days later

prooth - conjecture and assumptions, posted on conspiracy websites and later used on forums and other posts on conspiracy websites as irrefutable evidense in order to recruit more members; also can exist in an alternate form, pr00th

take action - what Alex Jones asks his Jonesies to do after being told of the latest threat to their lives; entails buying DVDs, black t-shirts and black hoodies, subscribing to the premium version of prisonplanet, paying for pro-freedom webhosting and Internet service and donating to the Ron Paul campaign, among other things

textpert - a troofer that reads a general overview of a complex field of study and declares themselves to be an expert in that particular field, but only when necessary to legitimize their evidense

troof-o-scope - a troofer's video camera, used to document their spreading of the troof and whether or not the government is watching your actions

troofnewz - a new Alex Jones website for those who have heard bad things about infowars, prisonplanet and jonesreport but are still looking for an unbiased source for the news the Main Stream Media™ doesn't want to get out; also can exist in an alternate form, tr00thnewz

tr00th - irrefutable proof of what happened on 9/11, as told by rebellious high school kids and disaffected college dropouts that you can totally trust and know the subjects of which they speak front to back and inside and out

tr00thers - a handful of rebellious high school kids and disaffected college dropouts waving signs and chanting slogans from a bullhorn on a street corner; usually wearing black t-shirts or hoodies and handing out flyers that detail their evidense or prooth

Last edited by eromitlab; 18th December 2007 at 03:42 AM. Reason: removing one that had already been posted
eromitlab is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 05:43 AM   #106
8den
Graduate Poster
 
8den's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,293
Originally Posted by eromitlab View Post

coolintelpro - openly accusing the government of watching your actions regarding troof because they see you as a threat and deriding them for it even though you know it's not actually happening, while secretly hoping that it will happen because it will make you feel important and noteworthy
If I had to pick a favourite, that'd be it.
__________________
“If every trace of any single religion were wiped out again and nothing was passed on, it would never be created exactly that way again.
If all of science were wiped out, it would still be true and someone would find a way to figure it out again."
- Penn Jillette in God, No!
8den is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 06:10 AM   #107
westprog
Philosopher
 
westprog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,928
Ungineer:
  1. One who uses his engineering qualifications to make claims in a field in which he is unqualified.
  2. Someone who has no engineering qualifications, but claims to be in some way qualified.
Sciuntist:

As above, but replace engineering with science.
westprog is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 06:57 AM   #108
Wildy
Adelaidean
 
Wildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,034
Secret Murder - Murder that is blindingly obvious
__________________
Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 07:24 AM   #109
GStan
Graduate Poster
 
GStan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,350
semantic obtusity - a neuro-processing filter for interpreting witness usage of vague descriptive words and ascribing to said words, the literal translation which is seemingly the most damning to the prevailing logical explanation of 9/11 events Example: Through the power of semantic obtusity, Christopher7 deduced that anyone reporting explosions was actually reporting explosives.
GStan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 07:46 AM   #110
Wildy
Adelaidean
 
Wildy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 11,034
Irrelevant (adj): Item that contradicts the theory

Usage:

Typically used in the form "your [X] is irrelevant" or "that is irrelevant [X]" where [X] is the item in question (evidence, question, statement, etc.). [X] will always contradict the theory.

I don't know if it has been said yet and I can't be bothered looking so:

Theory (n): One idea that is correct. Only one theory can exist at a time and more then one will cause the thread that they are posted in to explode.

Note: The Theory is unquestionable and is considered 100% proof, troof and fact
__________________

Last edited by Wildy; 18th December 2007 at 07:48 AM.
Wildy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 07:57 AM   #111
Vincent Vega
Critical Thinker
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 310
Demostruction - The process of building buidings with explosive coated Rebar as to make them easier to demolish at a later date.

photoanalist-An idividual who examines visual media and proceeds to pull their analyis from the "anal region".
Vincent Vega is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 02:47 PM   #112
pannarrans
New Blood
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 19
Enenigma: the troofer practise of transforming a mundane occurence into a mystery. This is usually done by shoving said coincidence up the rectum and pull it ou again covered in mystriousness.

FAQing: a fruitfull practise, in contrast with JAQing off, that can lead to usefull lists of answers one can refer to. Largely unknown in trooferland.
pannarrans is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 04:16 PM   #113
jhunter1163
beer-swilling semiliterate
 
jhunter1163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Connecticut, or King Arthur's Court. Hard to tell sometimes.
Posts: 25,322
Originally Posted by orphia nay View Post
Bumped for the newbies, and because it's a classic, and because I was referring to it in the humour forum.

And I just found another entry that's entirely appropriate for some woos/twoofers I've been debating:



So true, and so funny, jhunter!
Thanks, Orphia. I'd forgotten about that one. But, now that I've been reminded, I'll be using it more.
__________________
A møøse ønce bit my sister
jhunter1163 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 04:21 PM   #114
qarnos
Cold-hearted skeptic
 
qarnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,992
Originally Posted by Triterope View Post
rebunk (v.) - To use outdated news articles as source material, never acknowledging that they have long since been corrected. The claims that some hijackers are alive, and that Flight 93 landed in Cleveland, are often rebunked.
I like this one, but I'd suggest an alternate definition:

rebunk - to alter a theory or idea to counter a fact that invalidates the theory.

Example: When Dylan claimed the towers fell into their own footprint and asserted this could only be explained by a controlled demolition, Mark responded by pointing out the towers did not, in fact, fall into their own footprint. Dylan rebunked his theory by claiming that this new fact could only be explained by controlled demolition.

There a many examples of this form of rebunking within the truther movement.
__________________
"In the twenty years since the Chernobyl tragedy, the world's worst nuclear accident, there have been nearly [FILL IN ALARMIST AND ARMAGEDDONIST FACTOID HERE]" - Greenpeace press release.

Last edited by qarnos; 18th December 2007 at 04:21 PM.
qarnos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th December 2007, 04:41 PM   #115
Davidlpf
Muse
 
Davidlpf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 624
BAUTforums.com-a group of secret guberment shills who are there to mislead the public about the moonlandings, face on mars, and other space related conspiracies. The only ones that tell the truth are Bart Sibrel, Richard Hoagland, etc.

(ok may exactly fit here but Zlaya made a few comments)
Davidlpf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2007, 11:13 AM   #116
delphi_ote
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 5,994
Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
rebunk - to alter a theory or idea to counter a fact that invalidates the theory.
Nice.

I'm glad this thread got bumped. I missed it.
delphi_ote is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th December 2007, 09:20 AM   #117
Cuddles
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 18,590
Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
rebunk - to alter a theory or idea to counter a fact that invalidates the theory.
The trouble with that is it's exactly what good science does.
Cuddles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2007, 04:05 AM   #118
Dave Rogers
Bandaged ice that stampedes inexpensively through a scribbled morning waving necessary ankles
 
Dave Rogers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cair Paravel, according to XKCD
Posts: 32,425
Originally Posted by qarnos View Post
I like this one, but I'd suggest an alternate definition:

rebunk - to alter a theory or idea to counter a fact that invalidates the theory.

Example: When Dylan claimed the towers fell into their own footprint and asserted this could only be explained by a controlled demolition, Mark responded by pointing out the towers did not, in fact, fall into their own footprint. Dylan rebunked his theory by claiming that this new fact could only be explained by controlled demolition.
Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
The trouble with that is it's exactly what good science does.
Not exactly; what qarnos is suggesting is that the theory is claimed to predict the opposite of what it originally predicted, although no change has been made to the original theory. That's not good science, it's purest woo. Since there's already a definition for "rebunk", can I suggest a new one to address all this?

vereversify - when a theory makes a prediction and the observation is the opposite of that prediction, to claim that the theory also predicts the opposite.

Example:
Truther: "The Twin Towers fell neatly into their own footprints. Only explosives could do that."
Debunker: "But large amounts of debris were scattered over a radius ten times the footprint of the towers."
Truther: "Exactly, and only explosives could do that! That just vereversifies my theory!"

Dave
__________________
There is truth and there are lies.

- President Joseph R. Biden, January 20th, 2021
Dave Rogers is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st December 2007, 09:43 AM   #119
defaultdotxbe
Drunken Shikigami
 
defaultdotxbe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 7,474
in that case he didnt really alter his theory, lol
__________________
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein
defaultdotxbe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2010, 02:15 PM   #120
bill smith
Philosopher
 
bill smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 8,408
Syllogism,n def.. [reasoning in which a conclusion is derived from two premises]

Shillogism,n def.. [reasoning in which a conclusion is derived from headquarters]
__________________
*Think WTC7 - You cannot make the four corners of a table fall together unless you cut the four legs together
*A kitchen table judgement on a world scale is enough
* To Citizens: 'There comes a time when silence is betrayal'

Last edited by bill smith; 26th October 2010 at 02:34 PM.
bill smith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories » 9/11 Conspiracy Theories

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.