ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags ndes , obes

Old 23rd March 2017, 07:05 AM   #1161
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Maartenn100 View Post
You misunderstood me. Einstein's theory can explain gravity and speed better then Newton did, because Einstein's theories can explain the exotic phenomena or the extremes.
(huge masses and very high speeds)

I used the difference between these theories of gravity as an analogy to explain how Kastrups 'mental worlds-view' is a broader theory which can also explain NDE's and psychedelic trips to hyperreal worlds. The materialistic theories about consciousness and the brain cannot explain these phenomena.
We are talking here about a theory which explains the phenomena of the mind better.

We are not talking about a theory of gravity.
Ah, I'm sorry.
But the reason that Einstein's theory could explain phenomena Newton's could not, is because his calculations fit what was observed better. Without the math there is no explanatory power.

Now, I'm not asking for a mathematical formula here, but I am asking for more than just an assertion and vague feelgood stories.

Why do you reject what neurology has to say about consciousness and the brain, and what data has Kastrup provided to suggest his model is a better fit?
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:49 AM   #1162
Maartenn100
Master Poster

Nancy Rynes, a geologist who was a radical atheļst, writes about here Near Death Experience in her book 'Awakenings from the light':

"I did drift off as the anesthesiologist gave me my 'coctail'. But it wasn't to the gray state of nothingness that I expected.
I abruptly found myself standing in a spectacular landscape unlike any I'd ever experienced. Warm breezes drifted across my skin. Beautiful vistas of meadows and distant mountains surrounded me. And a pervasive, loving presence overwhelmed me in its intensity.

My mind tried to wrap itself around what was happening since it felt so real. In the back of my awareness I knew I had just gone into surgery, but I wonder If I had somehow dreamed the bike accident and my injuries. This place felt more real then anything on Earth."

This can not be explained by neuroscience at all.

Last edited by Maartenn100; Yesterday at 03:50 AM.
Maartenn100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 03:55 AM   #1163
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Nancy Rynes, a geologist who was a radical atheļst, writes about here Near Death Experience in her book 'Awakenings from the light':

"I did drift off as the anesthesiologist gave me my 'coctail'. But it wasn't to the gray state of nothingness that I expected.
I abruptly found myself standing in a spectacular landscape unlike any I'd ever experienced. Warm breezes drifted across my skin. Beautiful vistas of meadows and distant mountains surrounded me. And a pervasive, loving presence overwhelmed me in its intensity.

My mind tried to wrap itself around what was happening since it felt so real. In the back of my awareness I knew I had just gone into surgery, but I wonder If I had somehow dreamed the bike accident and my injuries. This place felt more real then anything on Earth."

Er she gives the explanation in the first line of the text you quote!
Old Yesterday, 04:04 AM   #1164
Maartenn100
Master Poster

You do not seem to know what general anesthesia does in the brain.

Before his near-death experience, Dr. Rajiv Parti was a wealthy man of science with a successful career as the Chief of Anesthesiology at the Bakersfield Heart Hospital in California.

Dr. Rajiv Parti's near-death experience brought him on a journey through the afterworld, leading to a spiritual awakening that transformed his career, his lifestyle, and even his fundamental beliefs. While he was under general anesthesia.

A CHIEF OF ANESTHESIOLOGY. No one knows more about the effects of general anesthesia then this man who was the chief of anesthesiology.

Last edited by Maartenn100; Yesterday at 04:28 AM.
Maartenn100 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 04:06 AM   #1165
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

So, even from a trained scientist, you do not accept her observations?
Eh?
Old Yesterday, 04:08 AM   #1166
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

double
Since you've now edited your posts I should reply to the new version as well -

Eh? Eh?
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #1167
Donn
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Eh? Eh?
I feel this approaches the perfect reply to anything Maartenn posts.
Donn is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM   #1168
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Before his near-death experience, Dr. Rajiv Parti was a wealthy man of science with a successful career as the Chief of Anesthesiology at the Bakersfield Heart Hospital in California.

Dr. Rajiv Parti's near-death experience brought him on a journey through the afterworld, leading to a spiritual awakening that transformed his career, his lifestyle, and even his fundamental beliefs. While he was under general anesthesia.

A CHIEF OF ANESTHESIOLOGY. No one knows more about the effects of general anesthesia then this man who was the chief of anesthesiology.
Well that's your 3rd edit of the post so I'll respond to this one as well.

That's a nice story - nothing to do with what you posted and I responded to but still a nice story.

I think we are now up to 3:

Eh? Eh? Eh?
Old Yesterday, 11:46 AM   #1169
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Does this mean that Maartenn has a triple-Eh? rating?

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #1170
ferd burfle
Graduate Poster

<snip>

[i]"I did drift off as the anesthesiologist gave me my 'coctail'. But it wasn't to the gray state of nothingness that I expected.
I abruptly found myself standing in a spectacular landscape unlike any I'd ever experienced. Warm breezes drifted across my skin. Beautiful vistas of meadows and distant mountains surrounded me. And a pervasive, loving presence overwhelmed me in its intensity.[/I

<snip>

But probably explained just fine by pharmacology. Do you know what this "coctail" was Maarten? Was it a general anesthetic or an injection given as part of the surgical prep? You don't know, do you? It's common practice to administer an injection of a benzodiazepine such as Ativan prior to surgery. In my experience, you remain conscious but the world is suddenly a very warm and wonderful place.

You are so quick to assume your desired conclusion you ignore other likely explanations. That's not a very skeptical approach you have there, Maarten.
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM   #1171
Slowvehicle
Membership Drive
Co-Ordinator,
Russell's Antinomy

Location: ...1888 miles from home by the shortest route without tolls...
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Does this mean that Maartenn has a triple-Eh? rating?
"From the halls of montyzoomer, to the shores of triple-eh..."
Slowvehicle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 12:53 AM   #1172
Cosmic Yak
Graduate Poster

Location: Where there's never a road broader than the back of your hand.

Strange then, that he does not know this:
Quote:
. Dreams and hallucinations under sedation or anesthesia are well documented.
http://www.medmerits.com/index.php/a...mplications/P4
https://www.caring.com/questions/hal...-after-surgery
Old Today, 01:03 AM   #1173
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Well, Maartenn100's idea is of course that they're not dreams, but a reality more real than real reality. And because you can get to Ultra Reality by switching off parts of the brain, this proves to him that:
-the brain does not produce consciousness
-there's another reality you can travel to without your body.

He does not appear to accept the existence of dreams or hallucinations (when it suits him).
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old Today, 02:00 AM   #1174
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
He does not appear to accept the existence of dreams or hallucinations (when it suits him).

It's necessary for them not to exist so that the apparent experiences "cannot be explained by the current materialistic theories of the brain."

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal