ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 19th June 2017, 03:04 AM   #361
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Then they ought to leave.
Why?

Quote:
Except there's no "say so" about it, this time. The speaker makes it clear that they have no interest in dialogue at this point. Part of the complaint is that staff (or whatever committee she's addressing - the woman is staff as well) attempts to shape the conversation in service of their own ends.
That's not clear at all. It seems pretty clear to me that she isn't interested in dialogue.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 08:31 AM   #362
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys

That's actually one of the complaints by the students. Weinstein is erudite, focused, and thoughtful, but he has an unfair rhetorical advantage. His position has been clarified while that of the loosely formed student group has not and cannot be while retaining the essential diversity if views they wish to represent.

There is no single spokesperson for the students so Weinstein gets to play in the media while they get ignored as a group. There's a subsequent power dynamic that emerges instead of the fruitful dialogue the students might wish for. The more Weinstein shapes the arguments, the worse it gets for any real change.

What I have not heard Weinstein offering, as a fair and honest communicator, is the students' point of view. So yes, they get frustrated when he takes the matter public, because it's seen as recruiting, and finding support, from outsiders instead of institutional stakeholders.
I don't know if you're just playing devil's advocate here, or if you've actually lost the plot completely.

He has a well-thought out point rather than a jumbled set of poorly formed rallying cries without substance... and so he has an "unfair" rhetorical advantage? The student's incoherent and reactionary babble without substance "can't be clarified" while retaining the nearly random and meritless "diversity of views" that they wish to represent?

As for the rest - the students clearly don't want a fruitful dialogue. They've been pretty clear that they don't want to listen, don't want to discuss. They want to demand whatever assuages their egos with no consideration of actual impact... and they've made it quite clear that they do NOT want to allow others to have a say. Did you watch the video?

Honestly, your post reads almost as if you're intending satire.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:33 AM   #363
Emily's Cat

He's an academic, so yes. If not promote, at least explain.
Their point of view seems to be that other people don't get a say, that opposition to whatever poorly thought out agenda they have is justification for violence and getting a well-respected teacher fired. Why on earth should he be burdened with trying to make sense of what is clearly senseless?
Old 19th June 2017, 08:35 AM   #364
Emily's Cat

Or, alternatively, they were right and deserved the concessions they got. Truth to power.
Might makes right? Threat of violence is sufficient to redefine truth?

Your statement here borders on asinine. They weren't right, they didn't deserve concessions. They bullied the entire campus, put people's lives at risk, and carried on like tyrants until they got their way. If you think that the fact of them getting their way somehow implies that they were right to begin with... Well, let me direct you back to formal duels where the winner is declared innocent by the grace of god. Let me point you to mobsters who succeed in intimidating shop-owners into paying protection fees. Seriously, you might want to reconsider the ethics of your position here.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 19th June 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 08:48 AM   #365
Emily's Cat

She wants the administration to listen to the student complaints - I take it they are having a meeting for that reason - instead of pushing an agenda on the students. And, if they can't agree to that, they ought to just leave.
What is the student complaint that they should listen to (or be forcibly ejected, of course)?
Old 19th June 2017, 08:51 AM   #366
Emily's Cat

She makes the point that the time for discussion is past because they aren't getting results.
They shouted down anyone who they *thought* was opposing them, without even basic consideration. Now, because they aren't getting their way based on yelling and crying that "it's not fair"... they've decided that the time for discussion is past? They never even let that time begin!
Old 19th June 2017, 08:52 AM   #367
Emily's Cat

We don't know what will happen, the meeting hasn't happened yet. She's telling them the structure in a "take-it-or-leave-it" manner.

If you want to participate under these terms, go to the meeting. If you don't want to participate, go home. Seems pretty plain.
"Do it my way or else."

How can you support this? It seems awfully close to fascism from my point of view.
Old 19th June 2017, 08:53 AM   #368
Emily's Cat

Originally Posted by Delphic Oracle View Post
See, if you replace 'listen' with 'capitulate' then things make a lot more sense.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk
Old 19th June 2017, 06:12 PM   #369
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Location: In 2.5 million spinning tons of metal, above Epsilion Eridani III
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
You're too narrow here. Washington State, nay the entire Pacific Northwest, is pretty much special snowflake heaven.
No. Certain areas sure are, but if you think that: go live in Eastern Washington, or even rural Western Washington. Evergreen is a bit of aberrant, even for standard Washington progressivism. (Which you clearly aren't a fan of, nor a member of, so..)

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Seattle Times editorial: "For Evergreen, the chaos of the 2016-17 school year should become a case study in the First Amendment and the aching need for better civil discourse. The funky, nontraditional college has a unique role in the state higher-education system. But for it to survive, Evergreen must impose consequences when a student protest hijacks other students’ learning."
Yeeeah, I mean, it's not a bad editorial, but anyone local to this region could tell you that the Times skews fairly conservative for the region. Which I enjoy, since Seattle could use a conservative viewpoint, but it means that the Times really isn't going to influence a lot of people's opinion.

Originally Posted by Joe Random View Post
Admirable sentiments, but am I being too nit-picky to expect better grammar and composition from a college student? It wasn't horrible, but for something that you're putting out to the world I'd think you'd want it to positively shine. This read to me like a middling "B / B-" grade. Or maybe I'm biased against the lot of them after watching the Twitter vid of one of the protesters trying and failing to read a simple prepared statement (wish I could locate that again).

But beyond all that, good show for people speaking up with the voice of reason at that place. Honestly wonder why anyone possessing a relatively logical bent to their thinking would enroll there.
It offers a reasonbly interesting view of the world. Not one I submit to, because I don't really have suffficient patience for sociological sciences besides to learn how the basics work...

That's actually one of the complaints by the students. Weinstein is erudite, focused, and thoughtful, but he has an unfair rhetorical advantage. His position has been clarified while that of the loosely formed student group has not and cannot be while retaining the essential diversity if views they wish to represent.

There is no single spokesperson for the students so Weinstein gets to play in the media while they get ignored as a group. There's a subsequent power dynamic that emerges instead of the fruitful dialogue the students might wish for. The more Weinstein shapes the arguments, the worse it gets for any real change.

What I have not heard Weinstein offering, as a fair and honest communicator, is the students' point of view. So yes, they get frustrated when he takes the matter public, because it's seen as recruiting, and finding support, from outsiders instead of institutional stakeholders.
He's an academic, so yes. If not promote, at least explain.
It may be unobtainium and mythical. But so is Weinstein's version. The point is to dialogue, to see what emerges. Weinstein has adopted the role of charismatic spokesperson - which he is good at - a professional speaker/teacher against students who are just learning their places in the world. His role should be coach, not opponent.

This level of mismatch always made me wince when Christopher Hitchens did it. Too entertaining (in the sense of logically entertaining) to be serious. One gets the sense their is another, unspoken side behind the curtain.
She makes the point that the time for discussion is past because they aren't getting results. Instead, they get nice sounding words and no action. They want to be heard, not "reasoned" with. I'd argue the word "honest" in there.

The professors work for the students.
So, this is was an interesting set of statements. On one hand, no, the professors don't work for the students at all. On the other hand, this resonates in that yes, a professor is expected to be able to take the role of coach and say 'these are the arguments for either side.'. I don't think it's fair to expect him to argue against his own beliefs, but yes, it is an advantage he has that the students don't have.

They shouted down anyone who they *thought* was opposing them, without even basic consideration. Now, because they aren't getting their way based on yelling and crying that "it's not fair"... they've decided that the time for discussion is past? They never even let that time begin!
.. Yeah, you have clearly never lived in King or Pierce Counties, have you? This pot has been boiling for a while, and there actually has been plenty of institutionalized racism. There's a reason these demands are persistent. (I am definitly leaving out the 'are these demands justified? bit', as finding them from an unbiased site right now is surprisingly difficult. :v

But here, a local paper does make the case.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...153694734.html

And it cites this article, by the college paper:

http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/20...pus-continues/
Old 19th June 2017, 08:54 PM   #370
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Ah-ha, found the article I meant to find:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...154524694.html

Interesting snippet:

Quote:
Issues range from a strained relationship between students of color and local police and campus police — similar to tensions between communities of color and law enforcement across the country — to accusations of unequal punishment for white students versus students of color.

Most of all, they said, there’s mounting anger over what’s viewed by some as a lack of action from the school’s administration to deal with a number of longstanding issues of racial equity.
and

Quote:
The ‘Day of Absence’ email,” one contributor told me, “was actually one of many emails that (Weinstein) had sent over the course of the year.”

Some students of color, they told me, view Weinstein’s written words — taken in total — as “tone deaf.”
So.. it really seems like a boiling over rather than a single incident.
Old 19th June 2017, 09:02 PM   #371
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KoihimeNakamura View Post

Interesting snippet:
and
So.. it really seems like a boiling over rather than a single incident.
I'm sorry, that doesn't fit our "special snowflake" narrative.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 09:38 PM   #372
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

I found this article to be quite disappointing. The author invites us, multiple times, to make sure we get the facts right before we draw conclusions. Fair advice, but he doesn't take the opportunity to clear up any common misconceptions. In fact, the most specific thing he says is that the focus on Weinstein has been overblown, thus undercutting the protesters' narrative that he is a racist professor that needs to be fired.

And there was one part that I found rather ironic:

Quote:
Over the weekend, I spent time corresponding with two writers who contribute to Evergreen’s student newspaper, the Cooper Point Journal, to try to gain a better perspective.

Both requested anonymity, due to fears of retaliation, including online harassment and intimidation, and threats of physical violence.
And here's a line from an article by none other than the Cooper Point Journal.
Quote:
If what is being discussed is not something you are willing to have your face and career attached to do not hold discussions in a public forum. If you hold ideas that you only feel comfortable expressing in back alleyways because students of color may (rightfully) be made uncomfortable by them then maybe it’s time to abandon your white fragility and outdated views or be willing to be called out at a school that is struggling but over all trying to support equity and what is just for its oppressed student population. It saddens me that in this day and age and under this presidency using people’s own quoted words or actions could be seen as intimidation even at our own institution.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 09:40 PM   #373
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Written by someone anonymous.

Yeah, uh. Welcome to the rabbit hole. I think his point is that the protestors are probably wrong, since they aren't just protesting that.
Old 20th June 2017, 08:36 AM   #374
Emily's Cat

No. Certain areas sure are, but if you think that: go live in Eastern Washington, or even rural Western Washington. Evergreen is a bit of aberrant, even for standard Washington progressivism. (Which you clearly aren't a fan of, nor a member of, so..)
Pretty much anywhere outside of Seattle-Metro swings pretty red. But even so, they're some very red special snowflakes nonetheless WA has the highest proportion I've experienced of people who have never left their state yet still believe WA is the very bestest state possible. And while it's certainly more intensified in urban areas, the solid belief that WA is special, Washingtonians are special (and better!), and that each person's special and unique beliefs are both more important and more right than those of other people persists throughout all the parts of the state I've been to. Marysville and Bellingam aren't exceptions. Nor is Port Angeles, nor even Forks (although that's more of a special sparkly vampire snowflake area).

Regarding your last statement, I'm not sure what you mean. No, I never attended Evergreen, and I'm not a fan of these antics... but I don't know what I would be a member of that that comes into consideration here... Can you clarify?

.. Yeah, you have clearly never lived in King or Pierce Counties, have you? This pot has been boiling for a while, and there actually has been plenty of institutionalized racism. There's a reason these demands are persistent. (I am definitly leaving out the 'are these demands justified? bit', as finding them from an unbiased site right now is surprisingly difficult. :v

But here, a local paper does make the case.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/news/l...153694734.html

And it cites this article, by the college paper:

http://www.cooperpointjournal.com/20...pus-continues/
I'm in Snohomish county.

I agree that there's plenty of institutionalized and systemic racism, and it's definitely not limited to King & Pierce. Having lived in many parts of the country, I'm fairly certain it's everywhere.

But the existence of that influence doesn't make this professor racist, nor does it make anything he said even remotely racist, nor does it justify or excuse any of the actions taken by the students of Evergreen.

From the Tribune article:
Quote:
For some, including this admittedly biased columnist, charged protests and important conversations about race are nothing new at Evergreen. They come with the territory, like drum circles in Red Square and year-long poetry immersions.

But for some conservatives, what’s transpired at Evergreen recently is a prime example of what they believe to be rampant and unchecked liberal intolerance.
Both of those are true, and it has little to do with political persuasion. Discussions and activism about racism have been a hallmark of Evergreen, and are a valued and important element of progress - that's true. The recent events at Evergreen are examples of unchecked intolerance from purportedly liberal people - that's also true. The two are not dichotomous.

Also:
Quote:
But here’s the truth this saga has laid bare: When it comes to issues of race, equality, and social justice, there’s a lot going on at Evergreen — like so many college campuses across the country right now. Dealing with things of this nature is rarely easy, and rarely pretty, but always worth the work. For the most part, Evergreen deserves credit for rolling up its sleeves and attempting to do just that.
It would be awfully nice if he provided some examples of what's going on. He simply claims it to be so and provides nothing more than that. He insists that this has been a distortion of the issues that Evergreen faces, but doesn't back that up.

Last edited by Emily's Cat; 20th June 2017 at 08:50 AM.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th June 2017, 03:56 PM   #375
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Pretty much anywhere outside of Seattle-Metro swings pretty red. But even so, they're some very red special snowflakes nonetheless WA has the highest proportion I've experienced of people who have never left their state yet still believe WA is the very bestest state possible. And while it's certainly more intensified in urban areas, the solid belief that WA is special, Washingtonians are special (and better!), and that each person's special and unique beliefs are both more important and more right than those of other people persists throughout all the parts of the state I've been to. Marysville and Bellingam aren't exceptions. Nor is Port Angeles, nor even Forks (although that's more of a special sparkly vampire snowflake area).
Oh. Eh. After living in North Carolina I don't find that unusual in any regard.

Quote:
I'm in Snohomish county.

I agree that there's plenty of institutionalized and systemic racism, and it's definitely not limited to King & Pierce. Having lived in many parts of the country, I'm fairly certain it's everywhere.

But the existence of that influence doesn't make this professor racist, nor does it make anything he said even remotely racist, nor does it justify or excuse any of the actions taken by the students of Evergreen.

From the Tribune article:

Both of those are true, and it has little to do with political persuasion. Discussions and activism about racism have been a hallmark of Evergreen, and are a valued and important element of progress - that's true. The recent events at Evergreen are examples of unchecked intolerance from purportedly liberal people - that's also true. The two are not dichotomous.

Also:

It would be awfully nice if he provided some examples of what's going on. He simply claims it to be so and provides nothing more than that. He insists that this has been a distortion of the issues that Evergreen faces, but doesn't back that up.
The second article provides more information. I agree a more indepth source would have been nice, but I was unable to find anything useful in the mess that the current cycle has made of the story.
Old 21st June 2017, 12:01 PM   #376
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Here is one of the students in defense of Bret Weinstein.
It is a bit wordy but he makes some interesting points
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2017, 01:27 AM   #377
apathoid

Originally Posted by portlandatheist View Post
Here is one of the students in defense of Bret Weinstein.
It is a bit wordy but he makes some interesting points
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
That dude finna get beat down. You cant even be pro-Limp Bizkit at that place without getting harrassed and threatened.

Apparently there were some protests at Evergreen this past week, one guy got hit in the face with a can, pepper sprayed and tagged with silly string. The President of the University has finally grown some balls and asked for more police presence on campus.
apathoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th June 2017, 01:42 AM   #378
apathoid

Even though this clip is presented as showing how wrong the activists' position is, if you actually listen to what the woman is saying, she makes sense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doUn0WY33YU

She was speaking English to be sure, but that's about all I got out of it.
apathoid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th June 2017, 05:17 AM   #379
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

I googled list of demands Evergreen, no dice.

What do they want, and when do they want it?

Hey hey, ho ho, these racist teachers have got to go!

Buzzword, buzzword, buzzword, rhyme. We are here to waste your time!
Old 26th June 2017, 09:03 PM   #380
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post

That's a demand.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2017, 02:50 AM   #381
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

That's a demand.
It's also an invalid one given that the teacher isn't racist.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2017, 05:28 AM   #382
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
It's also an invalid one given that the teacher isn't racist.
I'm pretty sure that dissent from Correct Thought is a racist act.

And of course the professor is white and male, which I think makes him racist by default.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2017, 07:09 PM   #383
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
I'm pretty sure that dissent from Correct Thought is a racist act.

And of course the professor is white and male, which I think makes him racist by default.
There's one in the spotlight. Now he don't look right to me. Get him up against the wall.
portlandatheist is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 27th June 2017, 07:24 PM   #384
portlandatheist
Master Poster

Originally Posted by apathoid View Post
That dude finna get beat down. You cant even be pro-Limp Bizkit at that place without getting harrassed and threatened.

Apparently there were some protests at Evergreen this past week, one guy got hit in the face with a can, pepper sprayed and tagged with silly string. The President of the University has finally grown some balls and asked for more police presence on campus.
Thanks for that video. That campus looks like a living nightmare.
Old 28th June 2017, 04:06 AM   #385
apathoid

Originally Posted by Eddie Dane View Post

No homework and a potluck with gumbo(isn't that cultural appropriation?!)
...oh and no police on campus.

Last edited by apathoid; 28th June 2017 at 04:07 AM.
Old 28th June 2017, 04:21 AM   #386
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Evergreen bluntly is a hippie college. Strangely, an intolerant one =\

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 3rd July 2017, 02:05 PM   #387
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

there's more to this story

A former Evergreen administrator has written a relatively lengthy essay giving some background on the problems at Evergreen. The entire story is more complex than I had realized. "Given that one of the complaints raised by the protestors was that the police were targeting certain individuals, black trans students in particular, and given that the students accused of pushing the vice president and accosting the student in the cafeteria were black trans individuals, it seems reasonable to assume that the protests were, in part, designed to deflect unwanted attention for possibly inappropriate actions."
Old 3rd July 2017, 04:06 PM   #388
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

A former Evergreen administrator has written a relatively lengthy essay giving some background on the problems at Evergreen. The entire story is more complex than I had realized. "Given that one of the complaints raised by the protestors was that the police were targeting certain individuals, black trans students in particular, and given that the students accused of pushing the vice president and accosting the student in the cafeteria were black trans individuals, it seems reasonable to assume that the protests were, in part, designed to deflect unwanted attention for possibly inappropriate actions."
Meaty read, gives a lot more context.

Quote:
the Equity Strategic Plan was built on a statistical foundation. When the validity of that foundation was called into question, including by a robust analysis by an Evergreen alum currently in graduate school, the same faculty member who publicly called Professor Weinstein a racist began attacking scientists generally claiming that their reliance on data was dismissive of the concerns of students.
I've been saying for a while this is just the left's version of "Religious Freedom" where "sincerely held beliefs" supersede verifiable facts.

Quote:
requests for examples of racism are met with the charge that such requests are in and of themselves racist
Kinda like witch trials.

"Of course she claims not to be a witch, the Devil is making her lie to deceive us!"

Along with drowning out any kind of substantive rebuttal with the equivalent of "don't listen! The devil will curse you as well if you hear her evil incantations!"

The Orthodoxy of the Left scares me every bit as much as the Jesus Taliban. Remember, the Reign of Terror killed off more peasants and notable intellectuals -most of them staunch allies of the revolution- than any debauched monarch could have dreamed of getting away with.

Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd July 2017, 04:39 PM   #389
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

Uh-huh
Old 3rd July 2017, 05:00 PM   #390
KoihimeNakamura
Creativity Murderer

The Orthodoxy of the Left scares me every bit as much as the Jesus Taliban. Remember, the Reign of Terror killed off more peasants and notable intellectuals -most of them staunch allies of the revolution- than any debauched monarch could have dreamed of getting away with.

That is a really asinine comparison. In any case, I'm noticing, oddly, most things emitting are one sided. Figures.

It's accurate enough to argue that there are some people on one side that are REALLY BAD!!! and that the leadership of Evergreen is kinda.. well, terrible.

But when I went looking for other stuff, well, you don't get much:

https://www.insidehighered.com/views...troversial-and

http://college.usatoday.com/2017/06/...wing-protests/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lame-liberals/

So uh.. yeah. This is more interesting, though:

http://komonews.com/news/local/everg...be-disciplined

It's kinda interesting.. I ... think.
Old 3rd July 2017, 06:35 PM   #391
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

That is a really asinine comparison. In any case, I'm noticing, oddly, most things emitting are one sided. Figures.

It's accurate enough to argue that there are some people on one side that are REALLY BAD!!! and that the leadership of Evergreen is kinda.. well, terrible.

But when I went looking for other stuff, well, you don't get much:

https://www.insidehighered.com/views...troversial-and

http://college.usatoday.com/2017/06/...wing-protests/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...lame-liberals/

So uh.. yeah. This is more interesting, though:

http://komonews.com/news/local/everg...be-disciplined

It's kinda interesting.. I ... think.
Not a lot of background at all in those articles. Some recaps (starting at the height of the controversy) and some sappy attempt at apologetics.

I'm rather solidly progressive myself. I have quite a depressingly large amount of my social circle that would act (and have acted) this way for daring to disagree with the "you can't be racist against whites/all white cis-het males can be assumed to be douchebags" type of thinking.

Even getting up to leave quietly once they get going has drawn an accusation that I can't deal with it because "white people are so sensitive." In addition, "get over it" and "stop taking it so personally" are frequent refrains.

Just my experience is all. While it may not be the Reign of Terror, it's a rather idiotic worldview that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of achieving widespread consensus.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 3rd July 2017 at 06:38 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th July 2017, 02:49 PM   #392
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Not a lot of background at all in those articles. Some recaps (starting at the height of the controversy) and some sappy attempt at apologetics.

I'm rather solidly progressive myself. I have quite a depressingly large amount of my social circle that would act (and have acted) this way for daring to disagree with the "you can't be racist against whites/all white cis-het males can be assumed to be douchebags" type of thinking.

Even getting up to leave quietly once they get going has drawn an accusation that I can't deal with it because "white people are so sensitive." In addition, "get over it" and "stop taking it so personally" are frequent refrains.

Just my experience is all. While it may not be the Reign of Terror, it's a rather idiotic worldview that doesn't have a snowball's chance in hell of achieving widespread consensus.
It's not the Great Terror, but it has political underpinnings that are outright dangerous. Either because they look like they could grow into Maoist hazings if not curbed, or because they will provoke a right-wing reaction that could be even worse.

Some students make statements that are right out of the black supremacist playbook ' We (blacks) were building cities when you (whites) were living in caves'.

Check out this collage of their behaviour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoM7ycn2SRc&t=149s

It's Lord Of The Flies, not the summer of love.
Old 12th December 2017, 09:02 AM   #393
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

Another Evergreen professor resigns following racial protests

Short version: lots of faculty resignations, numerous lawsuits, and tensions continue unresolved.

This is where the tapatalk signature that annoys people used to be
Old 12th December 2017, 01:03 PM   #394
Emily's Cat

I'm still gonna summarize with: Evergreen has lost its mind.
Old 12th December 2017, 08:09 PM   #395
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher

Brett Weinstein and Rashida Love both left

I did not know that Professor Weinstein had resigned.
Old 13th December 2017, 11:47 AM   #396
pipelineaudio
Illuminator

That article does a serious hamfist of casting the perpetrators as the victims. Lowe was one of the main racists ideologues inciting the racism and violence in that situation.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events