ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags politics scandals , richard nixon , watergate

Old 18th June 2017, 08:46 PM   #1
smartcooky
Philosopher

New Watergate revelations

I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already (if there is, I can't find it)

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc-news/watc...l-970735683642

Just goes to show what a bunch of criminals the Republicans really were under Tricky Dicky, and how much they attacked democracy
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 10:03 PM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm surprised there isn't a thread on this already (if there is, I can't find it)

Just goes to show what a bunch of criminals the Republicans really were under Tricky Dicky, and how much they attacked democracy
If you add in the FBI acts in that era against war and civil rights protesters, the Gulf of Tonkin deception, the Iran-Contra affair, the well documented GW admin using the DoJ to affect election outcomes (Obama chose not to pursue the abuse of power in the name of healing), OMG I just realized how long this list actually is.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 10:28 PM   #3
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

The burglary at the Watergate was bad enough in itself - they really shouldn't have peed on the hotel bed, that was going too far.
Old 18th June 2017, 11:49 PM   #4
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
If you add in the FBI acts in that era against war and civil rights protesters, the Gulf of Tonkin deception, the Iran-Contra affair, the well documented GW admin using the DoJ to affect election outcomes (Obama chose not to pursue the abuse of power in the name of healing), OMG I just realized how long this list actually is.
Yeah, those nasty Republicans with that Gulf of Tonkin deception that they pulled off!

As for the OP, could you summarize what exactly the new revelations are? I don't feel like watching a video.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 12:00 AM   #5
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Yeah, I was put off by the video too, so here's an article:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/poli...-nixon-n773581

Quote:
Watergate prosecutors had evidence that operatives for then-President Richard Nixon planned an assault on anti-war demonstrators in 1972, including potentially physically attacking Vietnam whistleblower Daniel Ellsberg, according to a never-before-published memo obtained by NBC News.

The document, an 18-page 1973 investigative memorandum from the Watergate Special Prosecution Force, sheds new light on how prosecutors were investigating attempts at domestic political violence by Nixon aides, an extremely serious charge.

NBC News is publishing the memo, and an accompanying memo about an interview prosecutors conducted with GOP operative Roger Stone, as part of special coverage for the 45th anniversary of the Watergate break-in.
Here are the actual memos they published:

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/TODAY/z_...2006-05-75.pdf

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/TODAY/z_.../StoneMemo.pdf
Old 19th June 2017, 03:08 AM   #6
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
But her EMAILS!d Check mate.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 03:43 AM   #7
Roger Ramjets
Illuminator

Just goes to show what a bunch of criminals the Republicans really were under Tricky Dicky,
Fake news!

No indictments, therefore no crimes were committed.

The Democrats were just as bad.

Nixon was a liberal.
Old 19th June 2017, 04:47 AM   #8
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy

Originally Posted by Roger Ramjets View Post
Fake news!

No indictments, therefore no crimes were committed.

The Democrats were just as bad.

Nixon was a liberal.
Hillary killed a man with an airplane next to an email server under a pizza parlor!
Old 19th June 2017, 07:10 AM   #9
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

And Nixon, like Trump, was supposedly the "Law and Order" candidate.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 07:20 AM   #10
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Upchurch View Post
Hillary killed a man with an airplane next to an email server under a pizza parlor!
And she would've gotten away with it too, if it hadn't been for that meddling real estate developer!
Old 19th June 2017, 07:22 AM   #11
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Wait people really bought that? Given how many times he has lost against the federal government starting in the 70's with his refusing to rent to blacks.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 07:29 AM   #12
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
His Law, His Orders

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » History, Literature, and the Arts