ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gun incidents , police incidents , police misconduct charges , shooting incidents

Old 7th July 2016, 12:23 AM   #1
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

CCW holder killed reaching for ID.

Not the first time the police have shot someone for getting their ID when asked but fatal in this case. It will be interesting to see if the officer had a body camera recording this. He seems a little panicky to be in the field with a gun.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...d-license.html
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 01:10 AM   #2
Samson
Philosopher

The old busted tail light and you end up dead trick. I think there is a business opportunity for a fail safe vehicle light system.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 01:17 AM   #3
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

I wonder if people asking for more gun in the hand of the population, realize that it will make such incident with cops far more often. Let me guess they will ask for more training for the cops.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 02:41 AM   #4
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

More disgusting police behaviour.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 02:42 AM   #5
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Vlogging the drama is a priority over first aid these days.
Old 7th July 2016, 02:47 AM   #6
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Isn't the correct away to phrase this for the many "police shoot thug with gun"?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 02:53 AM   #7
Tsukasa Buddha
Other (please write in)

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
The officer was telling her to keep her hands where they were.
Old 7th July 2016, 03:01 AM   #8
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post

That short clip of him... he's the twitchiest officer I've seen in a while.
I wouldn't be BookFacing it, but I doubt I'd risk reaching anywhere near the armed guy.

Cops deal with CCW drivers every day... what was this guy's problem?

Originally Posted by Reactor drone View Post
He seems a little panicky to be in the field with a gun.

He does indeed.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 7th July 2016 at 03:04 AM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:03 AM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Why on earth was she handcuffed? Is this SOP for partners of people murdered by police?

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:04 AM   #10
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Jim_MDP View Post
That short clip of him... he's the twitchiest officer I've seen in a while.
I wouldn't be BookFacing it, but I doubt I'd risk reaching anywhere near the armed guy.

Cops deal with CCW drivers every day... what was this guy's problem?
He was the wrong skin color to have a legitimate CCW.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:21 AM   #11
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

From the linked articel:
Quote:
Reynolds says to her Facebook viewers that Castile was licensed to carry a weapon and told the officer he had a firearm as he reached for his wallet and ID.
Bad idea, telling a cop at a stop that you have a gun while you are reaching for something the cop can't see. A more experienced cop would likely have told him to stop reaching and get out of the car. It's far safer to tell the cop either before or after, but not while, reaching for your ID.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:24 AM   #12
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by paulhutch View Post
From the linked articel:

Bad idea, telling a cop at a stop that you have a gun while you are reaching for something the cop can't see. A more experienced cop would likely have told him to stop reaching and get out of the car. It's far safer to tell the cop either before or after, but not while, reaching for your ID.
Then I'm not sure what he should have done.....

Not complying with the request for ID may have ended up with him being shot.

Failing to say that he had a weapon which was subsequently found or glimpsed may have ended up with him being shot.

And clearly what he did wasn't a good idea either.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:28 AM   #13
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by The Don View Post

Failing to say that he had a weapon which was subsequently found or glimpsed may have ended up with him being shot.

Exactly.

Now this has nothing to do with the proliferation of CCW? You know, something unknown to comparable First World countries? Nah, of course not. Heaven forbid. Guns put some gigantic force field around gun holders which make them safe. Indeed immortal.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th July 2016, 03:29 AM   #14
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

His mistake was thinking he could have a concealed carry permit while black.
Old 7th July 2016, 03:31 AM   #15
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
His mistake was thinking he could have a concealed carry permit while black.
No doubt.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th July 2016, 03:40 AM   #16
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Always shoot first. You'll have plenty of time to analyze the situation later.
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:41 AM   #17
paulhutch
Graduate Poster

My third sentence.
paulhutch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 03:43 AM   #18
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I'd like to think I would be clearly narrating my intentions to provide aid and to hell with the consequences.
Old 7th July 2016, 03:46 AM   #19
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

From the linked articel:

this

for some though the cop was part of an execution squad against black people (otherwise known as thugs to some around here)
Old 7th July 2016, 04:04 AM   #20
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
this

for some though the cop was part of an execution squad against black people (otherwise known as thugs to some around here)
You of all people should recognise deliberate hyperbole when you see it.

The police here were poorly trained cowboys.

I've said it time and time again. The biggest problem with policing in the US is the vast number of police forces, each with different standards of recruitment, training and policy setting. A "force" of a hundred police can't have the same standards as the Met, the RCMP or state forces of 15,000+ in Australia.

Small forces have small mindsets and poor training. Leading to stupid events like this. Amalgamate US forces. Have state forces. Learn from others. For one of the very rare times.

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th July 2016, 05:11 AM   #21
SteveL
Scholar

Then I'm not sure what he should have done....
Here is some advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT-nePQuT-s

ETA:
Also, Chris Rock's video (start wathcing at the 2 minute mark) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Last edited by SteveL; 7th July 2016 at 05:16 AM.
SteveL is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 05:13 AM   #22
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

this

Got it he shouldn't have obeyed the law as to what CCW holders need to do when stopped by a cop.
Old 7th July 2016, 05:14 AM   #23
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
A police promo with a white driver?

Yeah, sure that hits the spot.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by lionking; 7th July 2016 at 05:23 AM.
Old 7th July 2016, 05:17 AM   #24
fagin
Illuminator

Jolly nice. All he needed to do next was offer him a nice cup of tea and they could do some knitting together or something.

Seems to happen differently in real life sometimes. Looks like if you get the secret words wrong you lose. Big time.
Old 7th July 2016, 05:21 AM   #25
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

... and I thought the situation after the incident in Baton Rouge was gonna be bad. This one hits much closer to home.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 05:49 AM   #26
Cl1mh4224rd
Philosopher

I'd like to think I would be clearly narrating my intentions to provide aid and to hell with the consequences.

The boyfriend allegedly did something similar and it got him shot. And with the officer knowing that the boyfriend had a gun, and the girlfriend reaching toward her boyfriend, the officer, in his apparent mental state, would almost certainly interpret the action as her reaching for the weapon.

She'd be dead, too, and there would be no one to provide the other side of the story.

Last edited by Cl1mh4224rd; 7th July 2016 at 05:51 AM.
Cl1mh4224rd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:20 AM   #27
Bikewer
Penultimate Amazing

Just a few points. You are a young black man, with a CCW, driving around with a "busted taillight".

This is likely not the best idea to start with.

Upon being stopped, you'd think the lad would have kept his hands on the steering wheel, told the police officer clearly that he was a CCW permit holder, and that he was armed.... And asked for directions.

We get the impression that he was fishing for his wallet and perhaps the officer saw the pistol? That's not clear.
Bikewer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:21 AM   #28
BStrong
Philosopher

From the linked articel:

Many jurisdictions require licensed concealed carriers to immediately inform any LEO they're involved with that they are carrying and provide their carry license to the officer.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:21 AM   #29
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bikewer View Post
Just a few points. You are a young black man, with a CCW, driving around with a "busted taillight".

This is likely not the best idea to start with.

Upon being stopped, you'd think the lad would have kept his hands on the steering wheel, told the police officer clearly that he was a CCW permit holder, and that he was armed.... And asked for directions.

We get the impression that he was fishing for his wallet and perhaps the officer saw the pistol? That's not clear.
He was the passenger. And the story is that he did inform the officer of his CCW status and being armed.

The mistake here was CCW while black.
Old 7th July 2016, 06:25 AM   #30
AdamSK
Graduate Poster

The cop told him not to reach for anything. He reached for something. He got shot. No sympathy.
AdamSK is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:27 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by AdamSK View Post
The cop told him not to reach for anything. He reached for something. He got shot. No sympathy.
Contempt of cop clearly deserving a death sentence. Here I thought people legally carrying guns were not threatening, so why the high stress? It is almost as if he found the CCW permit by a black man inherently threatening.
Old 7th July 2016, 06:28 AM   #32
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

He was the passenger.
A good example of how the quick distribution of a video without context can lead to a misleading scenario.
alfaniner is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:30 AM   #33
Norman Alexander
Master Poster

Too many potential fuses for the situation to go horribly bad VERY quickly: Black guy, CCW, armed, jumpy cop also armed, car stop situation...

...and it did go wrong.

Heck, I'm NEVER going to hire a car again in the USA if this is how they issue tail-light tickets!
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:32 AM   #34
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

He was the wrong skin color to have a legitimate CCW.
Nail, hit on head.

Wrong color to send in a CV, as if the name is black, even with no criminal record, he/she is only hired after any equivalently talented white person with a criminal record.
Old 7th July 2016, 06:32 AM   #35
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Yeah we know. Summary execution. Way to go US

Sir Winston Churchill
Old 7th July 2016, 06:34 AM   #36
Donal
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
I wonder if people asking for more gun in the hand of the population, realize that it will make such incident with cops far more often. Let me guess they will ask for more training for the cops.
You assume by "population", they include black people.
Donal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:40 AM   #37
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Cl1mh4224rd View Post
The boyfriend allegedly did something similar and it got him shot. And with the officer knowing that the boyfriend had a gun, and the girlfriend reaching toward her boyfriend, the officer, in his apparent mental state, would almost certainly interpret the action as her reaching for the weapon.

She'd be dead, too, and there would be no one to provide the other side of the story.
Exactly.

Here is some advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT-nePQuT-s

ETA:
Also, Chris Rock's video (start wathcing at the 2 minute mark) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8
Folks are still passing around that Chris Rock routine as if it were serious?

Personally, I'm wondering if the cop's immediate story - before he saw the video - is on record. I don't look forward to yet another story about how the black guy was glaring and menacing like some sort of rabid animal, nor the people who will swear that this must be the absolute truth, but I have a rim curiosity to know what the hell he was thinking.

I also expect the NRA to say little or nothing.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:43 AM   #38
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Fella, that was one heck of a multi-story leap off of Decency Heights you just took there.
Old 7th July 2016, 06:48 AM   #39
Maya22
Graduate Poster

this

"Some around here" meaning you and Skeptic Tank?
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are caught in an inescapable network of mutuality, tied in a single garment of destiny. Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.
Maya22 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th July 2016, 06:51 AM   #40
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

What's that supposed to mean? The cop tells her to keep her hands visible, he's still holding the gun in the window, he's clearly hysterical.

What is she supposed to do?

And thank goodness she was live streaming because they confiscated her phone.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events