ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , obstruction of justice , Robert Mueller , Rod Rosenstein , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 12th June 2017, 05:05 PM   #201
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I don't put much stock in "considering" stories. As for actually doing it, he would have to be just incredibly arrogant.

So, it could happen, but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 12th June 2017, 05:13 PM   #202
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
I don't put much stock in "considering" stories. As for actually doing it, he would have to be just incredibly arrogant.

I'd bet that everyone within his orbit except Jared is advising him to not do it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 05:18 PM   #203
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

I don't know if even Trump would be quite that stupid. But then again, I have been wrong about the depths of Donnie's idiocy before.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 05:30 PM   #204
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post

I could see the bastard leaking the story only to say later that he's "allowing" the special prosecutor to proceed.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 10:47 PM   #205
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
I could see the bastard leaking the story only to say later that he's "allowing" the special prosecutor to proceed.
I think this is possible:"I'll have someone float the idea and see the reaction." But this assigns more thoughtfulness to Trump than he seems to typically apply.

In any case I would be in favor of him firing Mueller. Given how I feel about Trump, this is not because I think this will turn out well for Trump.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 12:40 PM   #206
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

The GOP leadership in Congress has warned Trump to let Muller alone. Interesting to see what happens.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 07:42 PM   #207
Tony Stark
Suspended

Trump Pondered Firing Mueller; His Aides Pushed Back

One thing that stood out to me:

Quote:
That may have been by design, according to a person who spoke to Mr. Trump on Tuesday. The president was pleased by the ambiguity of his position on Mr. Mueller, and thinks the possibility of being fired will focus the veteran prosecutor on delivering what the president desires most: a blanket public exoneration.
Does Trump think that Mueller took the job because he needs the money or something? He sounds like he is incapable of understanding that people may be motivated by things other than money or power.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 07:46 PM   #208
TraneWreck
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post

Does Trump think that Mueller took the job because he needs the money or something? He sounds like he is incapable of understanding that people may be motivated by things other than money or power.
I think that whole scenario was another example of Trump's friends trying to save him from himself.

There's a Washington rumor holding that Trump's confidants will leak his plans so he can see how poorly they're received. The pulling out of NAFTA being a good example of an emergency intervention stopping the insanity; leaking of his plans on Paris being an example of him charging right ahead.

I think he talked about firing him, his friend leaked so the entire Republican Party and all of his friends could run to him in a panic and explain what a mistake it would be.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 02:41 AM   #209
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by TraneWreck View Post
I think that whole scenario was another example of Trump's friends trying to save him from himself.

There's a Washington rumor holding that Trump's confidants will leak his plans so he can see how poorly they're received. The pulling out of NAFTA being a good example of an emergency intervention stopping the insanity; leaking of his plans on Paris being an example of him charging right ahead.

I think he talked about firing him, his friend leaked so the entire Republican Party and all of his friends could run to him in a panic and explain what a mistake it would be.

That's actually pretty sensible.
Old 14th June 2017, 03:58 AM   #210
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

I'd bet that everyone within his orbit except Jared is advising him to not do it.
And Jared is going with the family favorite of hiring a prostitute and filming him and sending the video to his wife?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 04:33 AM   #211
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

https://www.rferl.org/a/white-house-.../28547598.html

White House Says Trump Won't Fire Special Counsel Leading Russia Probe
Old 14th June 2017, 04:38 AM   #212
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by quadraginta View Post
That's actually pretty sensible.
Yes, a Sir Humphrey move if ever there was one. Whichever way public opinion seems to be swinging then go can go that way.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 04:38 AM   #213
Tony Stark
Suspended

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
https://www.rferl.org/a/white-house-.../28547598.html

White House Says Trump Won't Fire Special Counsel Leading Russia Probe
The WH also said that Trump fired Coney because he treated Hillary unfairly.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:17 AM   #214
Stacko
Philosopher

Interesting to see Trump expects dismissal threats to intimidate Mueller. Which suggests his, “I hope,” message to Comey was intended exactly as Comey interpreted it.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:20 AM   #215
Argumemnon
World Maker

It just makes it more likely that he will.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:22 AM   #216
Argumemnon
World Maker

Evil only knows evil.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:01 AM   #217
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

[snip]
In my own experiences, the people who are first to suspect someone else of a moral flaw are those who have that moral flaw themselves. If you run a business and employee #1 is constantly and vocally concerned about embezzlement by others, I suggest checking employee #1's accounts first and immediately.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 03:28 PM   #218
Stacko
Philosopher

Well, knock me over with a feather. Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials say.

Quote:
The special counsel overseeing the investigation into Russia’s role in the 2016 election is interviewing senior intelligence officials as part of a widening probe that now includes an examination of whether President Trump attempted to obstruct justice, officials said.

The move by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III to investigate Trump’s own conduct marks a major turning point in the nearly year-old FBI investigation, which until recently focused on Russian meddling during the presidential campaign and on whether there was any coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said.

Trump had received private assurances from former FBI Director James B. Comey starting in January that he was not personally under investigation. Officials say that changed shortly after Comey’s firing.

Five people briefed on the requests, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the matter publicly, said Daniel Coats, the current director of national intelligence, Adm. Mike Rogers, head of the National Security Agency, and Rogers’ recently departed deputy, Richard Ledgett, agreed to be interviewed by Mueller’s investigators as early as this week. The investigation has been cloaked in secrecy and it’s unclear how many others have been questioned by the FBI.
Old 14th June 2017, 03:59 PM   #219
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

The WH also said that Trump fired Coney because he treated Hillary unfairly.
Well no it didn't.

A lot of people seem to think it did, because they heard "mishandled the Clinton investigation", misinterpreted it, and stopped listening after that. The Trump Administration's (via the DoJ) complaint about Comey vis-à-vis the Clinton investigation is that he recommended against charges. The WH alleges Comey should have given all the evidence to the AG without offering an opinion on any of it and let the AG make a decision about charges on his own.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 04:10 PM   #220
Tony Stark
Suspended

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well no it didn't.

A lot of people seem to think it did, because they heard "mishandled the Clinton investigation", misinterpreted it, and stopped listening after that. The Trump Administration's (via the DoJ) complaint about Comey vis-à-vis the Clinton investigation is that he recommended against charges. The WH alleges Comey should have given all the evidence to the AG without offering an opinion on any of it and let the AG make a decision about charges on his own.
Did you read the Rosenstein memo that the WH said was the reason that Trump fired Comey? Because it was about how Comey treated Hillary unfairly..

Last edited by Tony Stark; 14th June 2017 at 04:12 PM.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:29 PM   #221
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Note the instigating incident was Trump firing Comey. The irony...

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 14th June 2017 at 04:38 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 04:30 PM   #222
Tony Stark
Suspended

That decides it. Trump is going to fire him.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:33 PM   #223
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

That decides it. Trump is going to fire him.
Which will be interesting since the Congressional Leadership is openly warning Trump not to do it.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:37 PM   #224
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Well no it didn't.

To be precise, it was a mix:

From Rosenstein's letter:
Quote:
The director was wrong to usurp the Attorney General's authority on July 5, 2016, and announce his conclusion that the case should be closed without prosecution. ...

Compounding the error, the Director ignored another longstanding principle: we do not hold press conferences to release derogatory information about the subject of a declined criminal investigation....

[re the last letter] the goal of a federal criminal investigation is not to announce our thoughts at a press conference.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 04:40 PM   #225
Tony Stark
Suspended

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Which will be interesting since the Congressional Leadership is openly warning Trump not to do it.
Yeah but would they actually do anything? Adam Schiff said that Congress would pass a law establishing a special prosecutor and appoint Mueller. I'm not so sure if that would actually happen though.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:40 PM   #226
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

One has to wonder if Trump's attorney is on that same page or not. Could be he's a wildcard.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:41 PM   #227
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Yeah but would they actually do anything? Adam Schiff said that Congress would pass a law establishing a special prosecutor and appoint Mueller. I'm not so sure if that would actually happen though.
I think at some point the GOP will tip, they can only tolerate so much before they recognize just how bad Trump is making them look.
Old 14th June 2017, 04:52 PM   #228
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

I really don't know how he couldn't. It's very clear that Trump absolutely committed Obstruction. Trump admitted he fired Comey because of the Russia investigation. It's on tape just as it was with Nixon.

Now, do I expect that Trump face the consequences of his illegal actions? I doubt it as the Republican majority is not interested in crimes committed by Der Orange Fuhrer.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:04 PM   #229
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump fires Mueller,and the Congress pretends nothing happens, I predict it will cause a polticial crisis with demonstrations and protests that will make anything the happened in the Sixties look like a Sunday School picnic.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:46 PM   #230
C_Felix
Master Poster

Pres. Trump (himself) under investigation for obstruction of justice

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/14/politi...ump/index.html
Old 14th June 2017, 05:47 PM   #231
C_Felix
Master Poster

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...port-says.html
Old 14th June 2017, 05:50 PM   #232
Tony Stark
Suspended

He wasn't personally under investigation until he fired Comey.

Congrats you orange sack of garbage, you played yourself.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:04 PM   #233
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

It seems to be getting very messy very fast.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:06 PM   #234
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

If Trump fires Mueller,and the Congress pretends nothing happens, I predict it will cause a polticial crisis with demonstrations and protests that will make anything the happened in the Sixties look like a Sunday School picnic.
I wish you were right, but I don't believe that. To so many people, the politics of today is just noise. They just go on with their lives. The 60s with both Civil Rights and the Vietnam War were front and center. This may be as or even more important, I just doubt that people today are that involved.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:09 PM   #235
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I wish you were right, but I don't believe that. To so many people, the politics of today is just noise. They just go on with their lives. The 60s with both Civil Rights and the Vietnam War were front and center. This may be as or even more important, I just doubt that people today are that involved.
College students are still college students, and I'm sure there are plenty enough who think of themselves as activists prepared to go ape-****.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:49 PM   #236
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
College students are still college students, and I'm sure there are plenty enough who think of themselves as activists prepared to go ape-****.
I don't see that at all. The 60s had some heavy weight issues. College Students didn't want to see their friends and relatives go off to fight, kill or die in some God forbidden jungle for reasons they barely understood. Then there was the issue of civil/human rights. A system that was grotesquely unfair. Do you really think that the firing of a special prosecutor today would result in more than a fraction of the protests resulting from those 2 issues?

Call me skeptical.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:03 PM   #237
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think at some point the GOP will tip, they can only tolerate so much before they recognize just how bad Trump is making them look.
Given today's events, they would be smart to get rid of Trump and show the country that sanity needs to prevail.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:04 PM   #238
Babbylonian
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I don't see that at all. The 60s had some heavy weight issues. College Students didn't want to see their friends and relatives go off to fight, kill or die in some God forbidden jungle for reasons they barely understood. Then there was the issue of civil/human rights. A system that was grotesquely unfair. Do you really think that the firing of a special prosecutor today would result in more than a fraction of the protests resulting from those 2 issues?

Call me skeptical.
Oh, I'll grant that dudalb is guilty of hyperbole, but I do think some serious **** could go down if Mueller comes through with solid evidence and legal basis for a criminal charge and nothing comes of it.

This wouldn't be a weak-ass perjury charge, after all.

Last edited by Babbylonian; 14th June 2017 at 07:05 PM.
Babbylonian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:29 PM   #239
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Babbylonian View Post
Oh, I'll grant that dudalb is guilty of hyperbole, but I do think some serious **** could go down if Mueller comes through with solid evidence and legal basis for a criminal charge and nothing comes of it.

This wouldn't be a weak-ass perjury charge, after all.
I'd love to see all hell break loose. My impression though is people are much less civilly involved than they were 20 years ago let alone how involved they were in the 60s.

Trump doesn't deserve to be President. He deserves to go to prison. And this was just his latest transgression. The man is a lying good for nothing turd. I for the life of me can't fathom how anyone with his track record of deceit, dishonesty and lack of character could be elected dog catcher let alone President.

I have NO DOUBT that Trump has been corrupted by the Russian oligarchy. None whatsoever. Otherwise, why are so many in his administration lying about their interactions with Russians. That's not illegal. So why hide it? No, there is a fire behind all that smoke.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:44 PM   #240
The Great Zaganza
Master Poster

I wonder if this "leak" is a deliberate move to goad Trump into firing someone else, proving Obstruction beyond doubt.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics