ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Jeff Sessions , obstruction of justice , Robert Mueller , Rod Rosenstein , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 14th June 2017, 07:45 PM   #241
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Trump just had the most amazing first birthday in office of any president in the history of America!
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:23 PM   #242
Minoosh
Philosopher

There's nothing wrong with investigating but I'm still not convinced that this is the issue to call Trump out on. It might look trumped up to many of his voters. I know there is a base that will support him no matter what, and I don't expect to get those people on board. But I suspect Trump is beginning to grate on the nerves of a sizeable chunk of other Republicans who voted for him. Like it or not, public opinion is a piece of this puzzle. For example, House Republicans won't vote to impeach unless they know their constituents at home support the move. Representatives will not risk a backlash on this issue.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:27 PM   #243
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Minoosh View Post
There's nothing wrong with investigating but I'm still not convinced that this is the issue to call Trump out on. It might look trumped up to many of his voters. I know there is a base that will support him no matter what, and I don't expect to get those people on board. But I suspect Trump is beginning to grate on the nerves of a sizeable chunk of other Republicans who voted for him. Like it or not, public opinion is a piece of this puzzle. For example, House Republicans won't vote to impeach unless they know their constituents at home support the move. Representatives will not risk a backlash on this issue.
If obstruction of justice isn't the issue to call Trump out on, there is no issue to call him out on.

Screw his piece of **** followers.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:17 PM   #244
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Remember that Trump himself suggested that he could shoot someone in broad daylight in Manhattan and his supporters would back him. Why would they care about Obstruction of Justice. Trump still has about 35 percent support which is atrocious. The question is could he lose another 10 points. BTW, Nixon enjoyed 25 percent support even when he resigned. The problem for the GOP is just how long can they survive the effects of Hurricane Trump? At what point does it make sense to oppose him? Trump is hands down the most incompetent most corrupt President since Hoover.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:29 PM   #245
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Damn

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:31 PM   #246
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

My favorite talking point out there is more Loretta Lynch stuff. I just want a news anchor to say," and Trump is free to direct the FBI to look into that."

I love how they act like Trump isn't actually president.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:39 PM   #247
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
My favorite talking point out there is more Loretta Lynch stuff. I just want a news anchor to say," and Trump is free to direct the FBI to look into that."

Or his first Senate supporter isn't actually the attorney general.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:03 PM   #248
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
I wonder if this "leak" is a deliberate move to goad Trump into firing someone else, proving Obstruction beyond doubt.
More likely in response to him floating the idea of firing Mueller.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:08 PM   #249
Tony Stark
Philosopher

What are the odds that Trump fires Mueller now. My guess is even.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 14th June 2017 at 10:52 PM.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:18 PM   #250
IIIClovisIII
Muse

Trump is screwing himself if what I believe is correct, that he is not guilty.

From a political standpoint, just let the investigations burn out and then use that as leverage against your enemies. Then your corruption and stupidity can commence with less interference.
IIIClovisIII is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:24 PM   #251
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IIIClovisIII View Post

From a political standpoint, just let the investigations burn out and then use that as leverage against your enemies. Then your corruption and stupidity can commence with less interference.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:49 PM   #252
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by IIIClovisIII View Post

I don't know how you can believe he is not guilty. It's clear that Trump is terrified about what will be discovered about him when professional investigators start digging. There has to be a reason for that fear. And my guess is that fear will consume Trump like the beat of Poe's Tell-Tale Heart.

I'd be shocked if Mueller hasn't already started going through the Donald's tax returns. My bet is Trump will fire Mueller as soon as Trump believes the investigation gets too close to one of Trump’s major crimes. I'd bet there are many.

Still, I question whether they will ever be able to prove it to the satisfaction of Republicans who run the show in Congress. Scratch that. I believe that most of them already believe Trump is guilty. They're just not interested unless it compelling enough that Trump’s supporters start to turn on him.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:37 PM   #253
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
If obstruction of justice isn't the issue to call Trump out on, there is no issue to call him out on.

Screw his piece of **** followers.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face. I want something at least approaching consensus when it is time for him to go. Otherwise there can be no progress, no "healing" the rift and no real cooperation to fix serious problems and I think that hurts America. I've decided I would prefer Pence, which is pretty much because I think the U.S. is losing considerable standing internationally and I don't think he would be so ignorant and combative. Trump's Supreme Court picks might be slightly more moderate than Pence's but who really knows. IMO, more than a few Republicans need to get well and truly sick of Trump to seal the deal.

Unless Trump gets an outright criminal felony conviction, but I'm not sure that's an option.
Minoosh is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 11:40 PM   #254
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Cutting off your nose to spite your face. I want something at least approaching consensus when it is time for him to go. Otherwise there can be no progress, no "healing" the rift and no real cooperation to fix serious problems and I think that hurts America. I've decided I would prefer Pence, which is pretty much because I think the U.S. is losing considerable standing internationally and I don't think he would be so ignorant and combative. Trump's Supreme Court picks might be slightly more moderate than Pence's but who really knows. IMO, more than a few Republicans need to get well and truly sick of Trump to seal the deal.

Unless Trump gets an outright criminal felony conviction, but I'm not sure that's an option.
Trump's followers are brainwashed moronic scumbags.

Consensus with them is impossible.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:41 PM   #255
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post

Why do you say they are acting that way? I'm not making the connection.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:53 PM   #256
Minoosh
Philosopher

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Trump still has about 35 percent support which is atrocious. The question is could he lose another 10 points. BTW, Nixon enjoyed 25 percent support even when he resigned.
I'd like to see Trump's numbers down to Nixon-like levels. And remember Nixon was considered quite competent at foreign policy (amoral, maybe, but competent). The international image of the U.S. might not be key to many Americans but it matters to the generals on Trump's staff and to key members of Congress

The problem for the GOP is just how long can they survive the effects of Hurricane Trump?
Until a majority of their constituents wants Trump gone.

ETA: Rather, until a majority of Republican primary voters wants Trump gone.

Last edited by Minoosh; 14th June 2017 at 11:55 PM.
Old 15th June 2017, 12:59 AM   #257
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I think at some point the GOP will tip, they can only tolerate so much before they recognize just how bad Trump is making them look.

I think that they know, have known, and as far back as the primaries expected how bad Trump makes them look.

They don't really care. That sort of optics has never bothered them as long as it didn't threaten their ability to get elected. They have never cared a whit about the welfare of the people, or the opinions of anyone who wasn't a potential vote, and that means they have long ago written off most if not all of the people they think would care about things like that.

The threshold will be when they start to believe that it is putting their personal political survival in question.

Judging from polls indicating the degree of support among registered Republicans, they have a ways to go before they start sweating about that.
Old 15th June 2017, 04:28 AM   #258
C_Felix
Master Poster

Trump's followers are brainwashed moronic scumbags.

Consensus with them is impossible.
According to Alan West, this is a good question...and the comments are quite entertaining.

https://www.facebook.com/AllenBWest/...type=3&theater
Old 15th June 2017, 04:40 AM   #259
Argumemnon
World Maker

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Trump just had the most amazing first birthday in office of any president in the history of America!
And he didn't even need Marilyn Monroe!
Old 15th June 2017, 04:43 AM   #260
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by C_Felix View Post
According to Alan West, this is a good question...and the comments are quite entertaining.

https://www.facebook.com/AllenBWest/...type=3&theater
He seems to be a very stupid man, that Alan West. As well as the man he quoted of course.
Old 15th June 2017, 04:44 AM   #261
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Why do you say they are acting that way? I'm not making the connection.
I don't know why. It is like when he complained about the DoJ not defending the travel ban right. Why doesn't he just order the DoJ to do these things?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 04:59 AM   #262
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Now I am picturing Comey signing happy birthday mister president.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 05:01 AM   #263
Macgyver1968
Philosopher

When did season 6 of "House Of Cards" start?...and why is it on every channel?
Old 15th June 2017, 05:01 AM   #264
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

They won't even care about that either.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 05:09 AM   #265
Fast Eddie B
Illuminator

I don't know how you can believe he is not guilty.
Well, our justice system is based on that being the default position, until proven otherwise.

I think that right now the evidence for obstruction of justice is weak. And there has been no evidence yet presented that he knew anything about collusion with the Russians.

But I think there's something in his psyche that leads him to be so loose with words and deeds that there's likely a smoking gun hidden somewhere. I hope that at some point one of his cronies hands him up as part of a plea deal or immunity deal. Flynn? Manafort? Someone else?* One's allegiance can be sorely tested when one realizes they've been thrown under the bus and could actually face jail time.

The Opening Arguments podcast has good insight into the process. They point out that investigations like this can drag on for years, and that Trump detractors may be best served by patience.

At the very least, it makes for good drama!

*I may be gullible and/or naive, but I thought Sessions was pretty sincere and honest in his testimony, right up until he played the "future Executive Privilege" gambit. I expect to see him back before congress, and if no Executive Privilege has been claimed by then, to be threatened with contempt of congress if he still refuses to answer questions about his discussions with the president.

"I doubt that!" - James Randi

Last edited by Fast Eddie B; 15th June 2017 at 05:16 AM.
Fast Eddie B is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 05:11 AM   #266
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Fast Eddie B View Post
Well, our justice system is based on that being the default position, until proven otherwise.

I think that right now the evidence for obstruction of justice is weak. And there has been no evidence yet presented that he knew anything about collusion with the Russians.

But I think there's something in his psyche that leads him to be so loose with words and deeds that there's likely a smoking gun hidden somewhere. I hope that at some point one of his cronies hands him up as part of a plea deal or immunity deal. Flynn? Manafort? Someone else?* One's allegiance can be sorely tested when one realizes they've been thrown under the bus and could actually face jail time.

The Opening Arguments podcast has good insight into the process. They point out that investigations like this can drag on for years, and that Trump detractors may be best served by patience.

At the very least, it makes for good drama!

*I may be gullible and/or naive, but I thought Sessions was pretty sincere and honest in his testimony, right up until he played the "future Executive Privilege" gambit.
No one can honestly expect the Attorney general to have a legal basis for his actions.
Old 15th June 2017, 05:18 AM   #267
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

The GOP "talking points" seeking to discredit Mueller's investigation after the latest news that Trump himself is under investigation for obstruction of justice are hilarious.

They again try to shift the attention to leaks, to Hillary Clinton, etc.
And yes, they are so tone-deaf that they twice complain about "fishing expeditions".

As appropriate for a document complaining about leaks, it has been leaked to WAPO's Philip Rucker (tweet : "A source sent me RNC/Trump talking points for Repubs seeking to discredit tonight’s WaPo scoop on Mueller investigating Trump obstruction").

rep1.jpg
rep2.jpg

Last edited by Firestone; 15th June 2017 at 05:20 AM.
Firestone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 05:31 AM   #268
Stacko
Philosopher

Remember when Trump argued that Clinton wouldn't be able to govern because she'd be under investigation? He's like a bizarro time traveller that has always been warning us about himself through his accusations of others.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 05:35 AM   #269
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Remember when Trump argued that Clinton wouldn't be able to govern because she'd be under investigation? He's like a bizarro time traveller that has always been warning us about himself through his accusations of others.
He is like Nostradamus, only for real. So bizarre ...
Old 15th June 2017, 06:03 AM   #270
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

A few months ago, I heard a very accurate commentary about Trump.

To paraphrase, this person said:

'Trump is a very quick counter-puncher.

But sometimes he counter-punches so quickly that he hits himself instead of his opposition.'

And this obstruction case has shown this fact to be quite true.

Trump originally embraced Comey as a way to counter-punch Clinton,
then Trump fired Comey using an official lie as a pretext in order to provide an anti-Trump investigation counter-punch,
then by Trump bragged about how firing Comey has resulted in making life easier for Trump in order to impress the Russian government,
then Trump lied about why he fired Comey in order to counter-punch his own butt kissing to the Russians,

Trump has managed to put himself in the center of a circular firing squad and it could not happen to a nicer guy.

With luck, Trump will soon declare victory and quit being President.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 06:41 AM   #271
Tony Stark
Philosopher

lol
Old 15th June 2017, 06:46 AM   #272
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity

Oh for crying out loud!

So now Trump himself is now essentially admitting that he actually did try to obstruct the Trump Campaign/Russian investigation.

A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 06:47 AM   #273
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh for crying out loud!

So now Trump himself is now essentially admitting that he actually did try to obstruct the Trump Campaign/Russian investigation.
?

Can't see Tony's pic, if that's what you are referring to.
Old 15th June 2017, 06:49 AM   #274
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by uke2se View Post
?

Can't see Tony's pic, if that's what you are referring to.
Trump tweets:

"They made up a phony collusion with the Russians story, found zero proof, so now they go for obstruction of justice on the phony story. Nice"

"You are witnessing the single greatest WITCH HUNT in American political history - led by some very bad and conflicted people! #MAGA"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
Old 15th June 2017, 06:50 AM   #275
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets:

"They made up a phony collusion with the Russians story, found zero proof, so now they go for obstruction of justice on the phony story. Nice"

"You are witnessing the single greatest WITCH HUNT in American political history - led by some very bad and conflicted people! #MAGA"

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump
Ah, thanks.
Old 15th June 2017, 06:57 AM   #276
Stacko
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
Oh for crying out loud!

He admitted to Lester Holt too. Trump's just not very bright.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:03 AM   #277
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

I suspect that more than half of President Trumps problems wouldn't exist.. IF HE WOULD JUST STOP TWEETING.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 07:09 AM   #278
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

And real classy that those are the tweets he broadcasts the day after several of his team were shot.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:20 AM   #279
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Macgyver1968 View Post
When did season 6 of "House Of Cards" start?...and why is it on every channel?
Frank Underwood is way smarter than Trump.
Old 15th June 2017, 07:29 AM   #280
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

Incredible.

Couldn't the GOP field one competent candidate who was big on border security and factory jobs plus a bit of Reagan-like patriotic talk?

The vacuum they left is filled with this absolute clown.

I'm sure he makes about five serious mistakes a day, many of those technically illegal. His team is bad too and can't protect him. Plus he Tweets every brainfart he has.

I'm starting to think he'll be removed or stuck in endless legal proceedings.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics