ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atlantis

Old 18th June 2017, 07:07 AM   #1041
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
If ANYONE here would like to present an alternative theory for the origins of the "pattern" that became the menorah, I would LOVE to see it and their corresponding evidence.

My activity within this thread is thusly ended.
Can you find any symbols that look like a menorah on the site you claim is Atlantis? Yes or no will do.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:56 AM   #1042
Myriad
Hyperthetical

If ANYONE here would like to present an alternative theory for the origins of the "pattern" that became the menorah, I would LOVE to see it and their corresponding evidence.

I have presented such an alternative theory. It is every bit as well-supported by facts as yours. The stars are right there in the sky; anyone can look at them, and they really do form the pattern of the menorah shape when connected in the manner I have suggested.

But it's also more plausible than yours at the outset. Where does the Torah say the design of the menorah came from? From YHWH. Where does the Torah say YHWH dwells? Let's make that a multiple choice question:

a) In a powerful city-state that's a military rival to ancient Athens
b) In an ancient lost city submerged under the sea
c) In a bunch of rocks in Spain with carvings on them
d) In the heavens

The correct answer is d. (If you answered b, you've mixed up YHWH with Cthulhu, and you should stop that.) So when YHWH showed His chosen people the pattern for the menorah (or if you prefer, when worshippers of YHWH wrote a story about how YHWH showed them the pattern), what better place and manner to show them than in the heavens, the night sky? Especially since the pattern was for a lamp, an arrangement of lights. That's what the stars and planets in the sky are, to ancient peoples: an arrangement of lights in the "firmament."

Last edited by Myriad; 18th June 2017 at 07:58 AM.
Myriad is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 01:10 PM   #1043
jsfisher
ETcorngods survivor

Mod WarningBickering is a bad think. And so, I have taken some 31 posts off to that bad place where posts sink into despair.

Now knock it off. You have a topic, and it is not each other.
Posted By:jsfisher

"He's the greatest mod that never was!" -- Monketey Ghost
jsfisher is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 05:24 PM   #1044
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Here Here, good man. *Bangs the desk lightly with a fist*
Yeah, so anything to tie the menorah to your Atlantis? I know symbols can be appropriated; now show that this one was.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 05:47 AM   #1045
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

I've been gone for about a week and was hoping to finally see some evidence linking Atlantis to the menorah (either through some ruins in Spain, or perhaps in another way), but it appears that OP still refuses to provide evidence, insisting that his assertions are sufficient, and that it is us who need to provide evidence that he is wrong.
Too bad.
Porpoise of Life is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st June 2017, 07:15 PM   #1046
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

Is it too late to say that the Ancient Harbor at Carthage was also rather Menorah-esque?

http://www.ancientmilitary.com/carthage-trade.htm
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal