ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags atlantis

Old 24th May 2017, 12:41 AM   #281
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by King of the Americas View Post
Does the allegory contain truth?
Some wisdom? Perhaps.

A honking great underwater city? Nope.
Old 24th May 2017, 12:50 AM   #282
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Again, AGAIN, and for you AGAIN.

Symbols can, and this one WAS adopted without an associated meaning or origin.

God, or the biblical authority said, "make this," "the pattern is over there"...that's it.
What in the actual **** does that have to do with your Atlantis?
Craig4 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 01:55 AM   #283
Argumemnon
World Maker

You are not qualified to disqualify Plato.
And you're not qualified to authenticate him. Stop playing games, I asked you, but games you continue to play.

One doesn't need to be an expert in history to note that Plato didn't make a claim about Atlantis and didn't provide any evidence for it, nor did you. All he did was create a narrative for his fictional political discussion.

Until you can prove that he did more than that, you have nothing.
Old 24th May 2017, 01:59 AM   #284
Greebo
Scholar

Originally Posted by TheSapient View Post
Why is this so hard for everyone to understand?

1) The menorah is a symbol.
2) Symbols can and do evolve over time, even losing their original meaning.
3) Atlantis had three concentric circles.
4) If you take a menorah, delete a bunch of little bits, double it, reverse one of the images, and stick them together, you get three concentric circles.
5) Therefore we have demonstrated that the original menorah image was a representation of Atlantis which was cut in half and eventually changed into a lamp.
6) James Cameron made a video of some submerged ruins which included an image of five curved lines.
7) These lines could be extended in a way to make 5 concentric circles.
8) This submerged ruin is Atlantis.
9) The five circles were probably an original menorah.
10) Therefore we know that Atlantis was real, was located off the coast of Spain, that it's people drew Atlantis as having 5 concentric circles, and that the menorah is a symbol of Atlantis.

The logic is impeccable. All you nit pickers are just nit picking.
I was with you until 3.
4 is "if we had some eggs and ham we could have ham and eggs" logic
5 see 4
6 Jolly good. Next
7 They could be - on the other hand . . . . But didn't you say in 3 that there were three circles - confused as to where the connection is.
8 I thought that half of it was above ground and inland
9 They could have also been a hat, or a child's toy or a nice pattern or . . . . .
10 Err, no
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:07 AM   #285
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

I think/hope TheSapient was being sarcastic.
Also, the rock where the symbol was found wasn't submerged, it was on top of a hill.
You might say that it can't be Atlantis then, but the hack in the knit cap in Cameron's little fluff piece found a way around that: it's obviously where the people of Atlantis moved to after their city sank. And that's why some scribbles that look nothing like three concentric circles still represent Atlantis: if you destroy three concentric circles, the rubble could look like anything, so the rainbow scribble carving obviously tells us the story of the destruction of Atlantis.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 02:23 AM   #286
Greebo
Scholar

Originally Posted by Porpoise of Life View Post
I think/hope TheSapient was being sarcastic.
Also, the rock where the symbol was found wasn't submerged, it was on top of a hill.
You might say that it can't be Atlantis then, but the hack in the knit cap in Cameron's little fluff piece found a way around that: it's obviously where the people of Atlantis moved to after their city sank. And that's why some scribbles that look nothing like three concentric circles still represent Atlantis: if you destroy three concentric circles, the rubble could look like anything, so the rainbow scribble carving obviously tells us the story of the destruction of Atlantis.
My post was made on the assumption that was the case. Just trying to re-emphasise the point after the claims were re-stated in this way.

Last edited by Greebo; 24th May 2017 at 02:24 AM. Reason: formatting
Greebo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 03:03 AM   #287
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

Sorry, I missed that.

That's probably why I don't see clues to the locations of lost civilisations everywhere either.
Porpoise of Life is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:14 AM   #288
King of the Americas
Philosopher

If it is not a menorah, then why use this carving as the evidence that the map of Atlantis symbol evolved into the menorah? That was your argument when you started this thread. Now you're weaseling out of that by claiming that it doesn't look like a lamp, and at the same time implying that this is still the origin of the menorah symbol. Even though it's upside down, has too many branches, and no central stand.
Face it, it looks as much like a menorah as the McDonald's logo does.
You didn't count the negative spaces, did you? Hint, there's more than three...
So we have a symbol that's not connected to Judaism, doesn't look like a menorah, and doesn't look like the map of Atlantis (three concentric circles with a canal connecting them). However, you still maintain that your claims are correct, and you keep refusing to support your own claims.
I simply don't understand your difficultly with symbol adoption...

Those who adopted it, 'turned it INO the menorah' because they didn't have access to its original meaning.

How does an upside down menorah make sense to you?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:16 AM   #289
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Now, if someone finds an underwater city that matches the location, description and timeframe of Atlantis, and find evidence it was abandoned after a cataclysmic event, I will accept I was wrong and this might be Atlantis.

How would you know?
King of the Americas is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 04:17 AM   #290
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
It contradicts what you have claimed about Plato.
I don't think so, but please explain.
Old 24th May 2017, 04:18 AM   #291
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Some wisdom? Perhaps.

A honking great underwater city? Nope.
Different piece...
Old 24th May 2017, 04:19 AM   #292
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Craig4 View Post
What in the actual **** does that have to do with your Atlantis?
My head, the bloody stump, is begging me to stop...
Old 24th May 2017, 04:20 AM   #293
Argumemnon
World Maker

Those who adopted it, 'turned it INO the menorah' because they didn't have access to its original meaning.
How do you know this?

Oh, that's right, you don't. You just made it up.

Tip: just because you can think of an idea that makes sense to you doesn't mean it corresponds to reality in any way.
Old 24th May 2017, 04:22 AM   #294
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
And you're not qualified to authenticate him. Stop playing games, I asked you, but games you continue to play.

One doesn't need to be an expert in history to note that Plato didn't make a claim about Atlantis and didn't provide any evidence for it, nor did you. All he did was create a narrative for his fictional political discussion.

Until you can prove that he did more than that, you have nothing.
Wait, Plato said he 'created' the tale?

I thought he said it was from another text he was privy to?

If that's the case, you guys are calling him a liar.
Old 24th May 2017, 04:28 AM   #295
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

How does an upside down menorah make sense to you?
It doesn't make sense. And there's no reason to suggest that the ring and cup mark from Stone age Spain inspired the menorah.
I don't understand your difficulty with getting that there is no evidence
Old 24th May 2017, 04:34 AM   #296
Argumemnon
World Maker

You're proceding in reverse. The burden is not to show that he wrote fiction. That much is evident from the writings. It's the absence of the positive that's your problem: you need to show that Plato both considered Atlantis a real place and not just a rhetorical device, and that he got this information from earlier sources and not just from his noggin.

Quote:
When George Lucas wrote Darth Vader saying that the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant compared to the power of the Force, was Lucas making a claim about the force, or was Vader?

It's a character in his story who makes this claim, not Plato.

Quote:
First of all, Plato never MADE THE CLAIM that you make. He wrote fiction to make a political point. You've been told this time and time again.

Second, assuming we are calling him a liar, so?
Old 24th May 2017, 04:59 AM   #297
King of the Americas
Philosopher

It doesn't make sense. And there's no reason to suggest that the ring and cup mark from Stone age Spain inspired the menorah.
I don't understand your difficulty with getting that there is no evidence
I never mentioned the ring and cup symbol...that's your claim.
Old 24th May 2017, 05:07 AM   #298
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The false document is actually a common literary device. Plato wouldn't even have been the only philosopher to have used it.

Last edited by theprestige; 24th May 2017 at 05:08 AM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 07:12 AM   #299
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The false document is actually a common literary device. Plato wouldn't even have been the only philosopher to have used it.
Let's keep this in the right dugout.

Did Plato say it was a fiction, or did he say it was a fact, based on a valid source?
Old 24th May 2017, 07:14 AM   #300
Argumemnon
World Maker

Let's keep this in the right dugout.

Did Plato say it was a fiction, or did he say it was a fact, based on a valid source?
Neither. One of the characters in the story says it came from a source.

Just like Vader's comment about the Force.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:25 AM   #301
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Neither. One of the characters in the story says it came from a source.

Just like Vader's comment about the Force.
Sorry for my ignorance...

Is the piece singular, or part of a larger work?

---

Intersting Plato also mention the mythical city of "Athens" in the story...

Last edited by King of the Americas; 24th May 2017 at 07:39 AM. Reason: ETA STUFF
Old 24th May 2017, 07:29 AM   #302
Argumemnon
World Maker

Sorry for my ignorance...
It's quite alright. Everybody's ignorant about something. The trick is to not pretend to know more than you do.

Quote:
Is the piece singular, or part of a larger work?
Not sure I understand your question. Critias is part of a group of works by Plato framing a political and philosophical idea via a fictional discussion between philosophers, one of whom brings up Atlantis although no one else in the discussion has a clue of what he's talking about. Have you read it? It's quite clear that it's a narrative device and not a history lesson by the author.

In any case, EVEN IF Plato had flat out claimed that Atlantis was a real place, we have only his word, and absolutely no evidence to confirm it. You also don't have evidence, only a very generous interpretation of a single symbol.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:40 AM   #303
King of the Americas
Philosopher

It's quite alright. Everybody's ignorant about something. The trick is to not pretend to know more than you do.

Not sure I understand your question. Critias is part of a group of works by Plato framing a political and philosophical idea via a fictional discussion between philosophers, one of whom brings up Atlantis although no one else in the discussion has a clue of what he's talking about. Have you read it? It's quite clear that it's a narrative device and not a history lesson by the author.

In any case, EVEN IF Plato had flat out claimed that Atlantis was a real place, we have only his word, and absolutely no evidence to confirm it. You also don't have evidence, only a very generous interpretation of a single symbol.

Right, researching now...

How is it that "Athens" appears in the story? Do we get to say that is unreal?
Old 24th May 2017, 07:43 AM   #304
Argumemnon
World Maker

How is it that "Athens" appears in the story? Do we get to say that is unreal?
Yeah, real places in fictional stories! Figure that one out!

Seriously, are you going to make an argument at some point, or present evidence? So far all you're doing is kicking stones around because people don't immediately agree with your ridiculous assertions.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:46 AM   #305
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

We are being taken for fools.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:52 AM   #306
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Yeah, real places in fictional stories! Figure that one out!

Seriously, are you going to make an argument at some point, or present evidence? So far all you're doing is kicking stones around because people don't immediately agree with your ridiculous assertions.
Listening to lectures now...gimmie a sec.

*Ahh, preliminarily speaking, the addition of Athens gives credence to 'other' real cities in the story.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:54 AM   #307
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

*Ahh, preliminarily speaking, the addition of Athens gives credence to 'other' real cities in the story.
Athens is a real city with a real history. Atlantis is not.
Old 24th May 2017, 07:55 AM   #308
Argumemnon
World Maker

If you're only interested in patting yourself on the back, it's no wonder you won't listen to reason.
Old 24th May 2017, 08:02 AM   #309
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Yes, because the mention of London in the Narnia stories obviously makes Cair Paraval that much more likely to be a real place too.
Old 24th May 2017, 08:56 AM   #310
Cat Not Included
Scholar

To reiterate:
This is the carving that OP claims is both three concentric circles, and the Jewish menorah (and therefore Atlantis for some reason):
I may well have missed where someone already pointed that out, but if those arcs were extended into circles wouldn't that give you 5 concentric circles, not 3?

And if extended into a menorah shape, it would have 11 points rather than 7.

So...this doesn't logically turn into EITHER 3 concentric circles OR a Jewish menorah, much less both.
Cat Not Included is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th May 2017, 09:43 AM   #311
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by abaddon View Post
Athens is a real city with a real history. Atlantis is not.
So, Plato was a teach, above all. His lessons were intended to pass along principles that would aid in individual success.

Creating a fully factious scenario NOT based on solid proven principles is outside if Plato's character.
Old 24th May 2017, 09:45 AM   #312
Argumemnon
World Maker

So, Plato was a teach, above all. His lessons were intended to pass along principles that would aid in individual success.
That doesn't follow at all. You are ignoring every argument that disagreed with you and cherry-picking the stuff you think agrees with you. That is dishonest.

Quote:
Creating a fully factious scenario NOT based on solid proven principles is outside if Plato's character.
Did you not read the thread so far? Someone's already addressed this.
Old 24th May 2017, 09:56 AM   #313
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

That doesn't follow at all. You are ignoring every argument that disagreed with you and cherry-picking the stuff you think agrees with you. That is dishonest.

KotA is simply investing in the purchase of infractions for others. To date, there is no coherent claim. I couldn't tell you what KotA does or does not believe.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:17 AM   #314
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Google Earth 'sunken stuff'- Spanish Coast

The rectangle structures are Tarshish, the round one is fur there up north...
Old 24th May 2017, 10:19 AM   #315
King of the Americas
Philosopher

I have not ignored anything. I have addressed most if not all of the arguments presented.

Could you point to this cherry-picking, and contradict the associated fruit?
Old 24th May 2017, 10:21 AM   #316
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Yes, because the mention of London in the Narnia stories obviously makes Cair Paraval that much more likely to be a real place too.
The addition of self-admitted fiction writers muddies the waters.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:25 AM   #317
Argumemnon
World Maker

I have not ignored anything. I have addressed most if not all of the arguments presented.
You have addressed nothing. You've flippantly dismissed the objections to your claims.

If you were serious and honest about this topic you'd consider the objections and try to see if they work against your claim. Instead you try to imply that we're insulting Plato, as if that has anything to do with the arguments.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:28 AM   #318
Porpoise of Life
Master Poster

The addition of self-admitted fiction writers muddies the waters.
Where are the ruins of Thomas More's Utopia?
Old 24th May 2017, 10:29 AM   #319
King of the Americas
Philosopher

You have addressed nothing. You've flippantly dismissed the objections to your claims.

If you were serious and honest about this topic you'd consider the objections and try to see if they work against your claim. Instead you try to imply that we're insulting Plato, as if that has anything to do with the arguments.
Please be more specific.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:30 AM   #320
King of the Americas
Philosopher

Where are the ruins of Thomas More's Utopia?
I'm looking!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » General Skepticism and The Paranormal