ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
View Poll Results: Reaction
"Like" 2 20.00%
"Plead the 5th" 8 80.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30th May 2017, 10:32 AM   #1
Giz
Philosopher

‘liked’ a Facebook post - convicted of defamation

From the article:

"In the first case of its kind in Switzerland, the 45-year-old unnamed defendant from Zurich was found guilty after he ‘liked’ several posts on Facebook accusing Erwin Kessler, the president of an animal rights group, of racism and anti-Semitism.
Mr Kessler then brought a case against the defendant, arguing that by ‘liking' the posts the man spread their content by making them visible to a larger number of people, and that he acted with intent to harm and without any justifiable cause.

Zurich court judge Catherine Gerwig said at the trial on Monday said that ‘liking’ the posts was “spreading a value judgement”

She said that a 'like' is associated with a positive, meaning he clearly supported the posts' content. The court ruled that the defendant couldn’t prove that the statements about Mr Kessler were true or that he had "serious reasons" to believe them to be so."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...post-landmark/

I suppose it was inevitable that this would happen sooner or later. I wonder what the ramifications will be.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 10:39 AM   #2
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Guilty!
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 11:01 AM   #3
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

There is no punishment too extreme for anybody on Facebook.

[x] like
casebro is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 11:22 AM   #4
mgidm86
Illuminator

Wow, voicing an opinion can get you busted?

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
There is no punishment too extreme for anybody on Facebook.

[x] like

Then there's that
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 11:51 AM   #5
baron
Illuminator

The Swiss need to get into a war or something, gain a sense of perspective. The irony here is the plaintive himself was jailed some years back... for criticising Jewish slaughter methods. In a country where you can get a criminal record for washing your car on the 'wrong day' these people should know to be more careful.
Old 30th May 2017, 11:56 AM   #6
Loss Leader
Would Be Ringing (if a bell)

I had a case in Family Court where my client was brought up on charges of violating an Order of Protection for writing mean things about his wife on Facebook. My motion to dismiss was denied. I would have loved to have appealed it but it wasn't practical for him to do.

It still bothers me that the judge refused to see a Facebook post as a private communication between friends. I knew we were sunk when I opened the opinion to see he had written "friends" in quotation marks.

L. Leader
Loss Leader is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 12:00 PM   #7
BStrong
Philosopher

I will assert my 5th Amendment right to not self-incriminate.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 12:11 PM   #8
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Thankfully, I'm not Swiss. I'd be happy to like the page to death.

(Unless there's some kind of extradition for it. Then I'd reconsider.)
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 01:22 PM   #9
sphenisc
Illuminator

Why doesn't Facebook have a button for "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"? Or at least Voltaire emoji.
Old 30th May 2017, 01:34 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Giz View Post
... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...post-landmark/

I suppose it was inevitable that this would happen sooner or later. I wonder what the ramifications will be.
In the US that would be reversed on appeal. Over there on the other side of the pond they have weird defamation laws so who knows.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 02:43 PM   #11
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Europe (and Britain) is funny that way. They have many admirable things (like UHC) but sociologically they are absolutely overboard about things like free speech vs hate speech, protecting criminals and open boarders.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 03:02 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Guilty. The button is called "Like", but the actual funtion is to publish the message to a wider audience with the liker's endorsement.

If publishing the message counts as defamation, then endorsing it and republishing it via Facebook's "like" function necessarily also counts as defamation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 03:08 PM   #13
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

We are at the precipice of a enormous crossroads.
Old 30th May 2017, 03:55 PM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Is "someone else published it first" ever a successful defense in cases of defamation?
Old 30th May 2017, 04:43 PM   #15
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Is it not possible to "like" a post without embracing its content? Certain of TM's post come to mind...

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 04:55 PM   #16
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Unfortunately, it's not just about expressing an opinion.

As others have pointed out, when you Like something on Facebook, other people can see it. This serves to spread the thing you liked to a larger audience, who may then also Like it. The thing spreads through the network regardless of whether people actually support it or not.
Old 30th May 2017, 04:58 PM   #17
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by Metullus View Post
Is it not possible to "like" a post without embracing its content? Certain of TM's post come to mind...
Yes. Facebook has a number of reactions available. Your choices are Like, Love, Haha, Wow, Sad and Angry.

If you Angry a post it sends a different message to your network than if you Love a post.
Old 30th May 2017, 05:57 PM   #18
ChristianProgressive
Graduate Poster

^Not always. You may like the post even if the content makes you angry. It depends on where that anger is directed, at poster or content.
ChristianProgressive is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 07:36 PM   #19
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Guilty. The button is called "Like", but the actual funtion is to publish the message to a wider audience with the liker's endorsement.
I thought it was the "share" button that spread the message.

The "like" button only informs the author that you like the message. Everybody who views the message will know that you like it but they have already seen the message so it hasn't "spread".
Old 30th May 2017, 07:40 PM   #20
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Facebook's Liking mechanism includes a publication function. Whether you embrace the content or not, you are spreading it with your explicit endorsement.

I suppose one could mount a defense on the basis that social media is full mindless trash, and "liking" something on Facebook is an insincere animal reflex.

Throwing Facebook under the bus alongside yourself *might* work, as a defense.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 07:58 PM   #21
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by psionl0 View Post
I thought it was the "share" button that spread the message.

The "like" button only informs the author that you like the message. Everybody who views the message will know that you like it but they have already seen the message so it hasn't "spread".
Your friends can see that you have Liked a thing without first having seen the thing themselves.
Old 30th May 2017, 08:32 PM   #22
pharphis
Graduate Poster

What if you like something ironically but are too lazy to try to pick out the right emote to distinguish that feeling?

People do this all the time on twitter by retweeting things that they disagree with vehemently.
pharphis is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 08:35 PM   #23
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by ChristianProgressive View Post
^Not always. You may like the post even if the content makes you angry. It depends on where that anger is directed, at poster or content.
Facebook's repertoire of six emotes isn't sophisticated enough to convey that kind of nuance.
Old 30th May 2017, 08:50 PM   #24
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Then there's that
It can when it cease to be an opinion and becomes libel.

The question is here : if post X is obviously libelous, do liking X express solely an opinion, or does it endorse and spread the libel. The court obviously agreed with option 2 and i think the same : the like is the same as posting "i agree and think the same as you" and you republish it.

Last edited by Aepervius; 30th May 2017 at 08:51 PM.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 08:51 PM   #25
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Your friends can see that you have Liked a thing without first having seen the thing themselves.
I only get notified when somebody on facebook likes or replies to something I posted.

I can't see the value in being notified that "friend X likes <total stranger>'s post". My notifications would overflow with such trivial messages and I have few facebook friends.
Old 30th May 2017, 08:59 PM   #26
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I only get notified when somebody on facebook likes or replies to something I posted.

I can't see the value in being notified that "friend X likes <total stranger>'s post". My notifications would overflow with such trivial messages and I have few facebook friends.
Yeah, well, that's how it works, regardless of whether you see value in it or not.

I didn't think it did, but when I started looking, I started seeing that things were in my newsfeed labelled "(so-and-so) liked this". They're not Notifications, but they do pop up in the News Feed.
Old 30th May 2017, 09:21 PM   #27
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

Yeah, well, that's how it works, regardless of whether you see value in it or not.

I didn't think it did, but when I started looking, I started seeing that things were in my newsfeed labelled "(so-and-so) liked this". They're not Notifications, but they do pop up in the News Feed.
Er no.

Facebook employs some algorithm to prioritize who's posts you see in your news feed (they needn't be facebook friends). You can change that priority in your settings and even "unfollow" some posters.

Some of the the posts in my news feed may well inform me that "<friend> likes this" but that isn't the reason that the post is in my news feed.
Old 30th May 2017, 09:43 PM   #28
Reactor drone
Graduate Poster

Is the telegraph also guilty of defamation? I'd never heard of this guy but now, thanks to that article, I know his name and that people think he's an anti-semite.

They're spreading the defamatory information regardless of whether they've indicated that they like the news.
Reactor drone is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th May 2017, 10:52 PM   #29
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Er no.

Facebook employs some algorithm to prioritize who's posts you see in your news feed (they needn't be facebook friends). You can change that priority in your settings and even "unfollow" some posters.

Some of the the posts in my news feed may well inform me that "<friend> likes this" but that isn't the reason that the post is in my news feed.
That's what I thought too, until I actually looked into it.

There's also a thing called the Ticker, which shows your friends' activity in real-time. I've got mine turned off, and I can't work out how to turn it back on again. I'm okay with this.
Old 30th May 2017, 11:47 PM   #30
psionl0
Skeptical about skeptics

That's what I thought too, until I actually looked into it.

There's also a thing called the Ticker, which shows your friends' activity in real-time. I've got mine turned off, and I can't work out how to turn it back on again. I'm okay with this.
I have also looked into it. Your time line may be publicly available but not your activity log.

I have never heard of this "ticker" before and there is nothing on facebook about it. It may be something that facebook no longer provides.
Old 31st May 2017, 12:16 AM   #31
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

I have also looked into it. Your time line may be publicly available but not your activity log.

I have never heard of this "ticker" before and there is nothing on facebook about it. It may be something that facebook no longer provides.
Possibly. I've seen it appear as the page is loading in my browser, but it disappears once it's fully loaded. Like I said, I don't miss it.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:09 PM   #32
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

Yes. Facebook has a number of reactions available. Your choices are Like, Love, Haha, Wow, Sad and Angry.

If you Angry a post it sends a different message to your network than if you Love a post.
The point is that I can "like" a post without endorsing it. I can even quote a post without endorsing it. Kinda like a newspaper might report a story.

Aristotle taught that the brain exists merely to cool the blood and is not involved in the process of thinking. This is true only of certain persons. - Will Cuppy
Metullus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 01:33 PM   #33
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

The point is that I can "like" a post without endorsing it. I can even quote a post without endorsing it. Kinda like a newspaper might report a story.
The "like" is the endorsement.
Old 31st May 2017, 01:46 PM   #34
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

A like could be given for a lot of reasons, though.

It doesn't necessarily mean that I endorse holding lit bottle rockets in your hand.

It might mean that I like the idea of calling out Nazis in general, not that I agree that the particular person is a Nazi.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 02:06 PM   #35
Metullus
Forum ¾-Wit Pro Tem

I can easily 'like' a post or an article or a book without endorsing its content. I can find a post entertaining (see the collected works of TragicMonkey) without endorsing its content (again, see the collected works of TragicMonkey, a large selection of which would not only be not endorsed by any sane person but would be illegal in most jurisdictions.) I concede that there might well be some sort of Facebook law that says that one cannot "like" a post without endorsing its content, but if there is this is the first I've heard of it.

Old 31st May 2017, 02:10 PM   #36
Stacko
Philosopher

I can easily 'like' a post or an article or a book without endorsing its content. I can find a post entertaining (see the collected works of TragicMonkey) without endorsing its content (again, see the collected works of TragicMonkey, a large selection of which would not only be not endorsed by any sane person but would be illegal in most jurisdictions.) I concede that there might well be some sort of Facebook law that says that one cannot "like" a post without endorsing its content, but if there is this is the first I've heard of it.
The court is allowed to examine intent. Why this person liked the post is of key importance to the decision. This didn't happened in an abstract vacuum of hypothetical discussion.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 02:32 PM   #37
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I would assume intent is irrelevant here. The issue isn't whether the accused agrees with the statement or not, it's whether they republished it. The act of Facebook 'liking' causes the item 'liked' to be published, doesn't it?
Old 31st May 2017, 02:34 PM   #38
fuelair
Cythraul Enfys

Facebook's Liking mechanism includes a publication function. Whether you embrace the content or not, you are spreading it with your explicit endorsement.

I suppose one could mount a defense on the basis that social media is full mindless trash, and "liking" something on Facebook is an insincere animal reflex.

Throwing Facebook under the bus alongside yourself *might* work, as a defense.
Personally I believe the judge should be thrown under a bus!!!!!

Wash this space!

We fight for the Lady Babylon!!!
fuelair is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st May 2017, 03:00 PM   #39
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fuelair View Post
Personally I believe the judge should be thrown under a bus!!!!!
Seriously, man. Seek help.
Old 31st May 2017, 03:55 PM   #40
Newtons Bit
Philosopher

If publishing the message counts as defamation, then endorsing it and republishing it via Facebook's "like" function necessarily also counts as defamation.
So facebook was sued as well and lost? What about the ISPs? The servers that the data passed through?
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events