ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 1st June 2017, 02:02 PM   #1
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,165
OR Professor objects to white students being excluded from campus for Day of Absence

I'm a bit surprised this hasn't already shown up on ISF, so I'll go ahead and contribute.

Here's the scenario: A professor at Evergreen University in Oregon protested a policy shift for the campus' annual "Day of Absence". Historically, the Day of Absence has seen minority students and faculty voluntarily absent themselves from campus on that day, in order to demonstrate the value of their contributions and presence at school. This year, however, it was proposed that instead of people of color choosing to stay home... they should instead insist that white people shouldn't be allowed to come to school. The professor, Bret Weinstein, protested this proposal as a move in the wrong direction:

Quote:
"There is a huge difference between a group or coalition deciding to voluntarily absent themselves from a shared space in order to highlight their vital and underappreciated roles (the theme of the Douglas Turner Ward play Day of Absence, as well as the recent Women's Day walkout), and a group encouraging another group to go away," Weinstein wrote. "The first is a forceful call to consciousness, which is, of course, crippling to the logic of oppression. The second is a show of force, and an act of oppression in and of itself."
As a result of his email, Professor Weinstein has since been subjected to verbal abuse and threats. Police have suggested that he refrain from coming to campus at present, as they cannot guarantee his safety.

Article:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...ring-professor

Video of the student objection outside of Professor Weinstein's office:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCZNCmMFwcI

Personally, I agree with Professor Weinstein. I am fully supportive of a day of absence, and if it were deemed appropriate by those involved I would happily absent myself in order to show support for that message. But I would be very offended if it were suggested that I not be allowed to come to campus on that day because of my skin color.

I am also struck by the complete lack of discourse being demonstrated by college students.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 02:17 PM   #2
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,054
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Personally, I agree with Professor Weinstein. I am fully supportive of a day of absence,
I wouldn't be "fully supportive". I find such public demonstrations pretty pointless, regardless of the cause. But I wouldn't oppose or try to stop it either. But if I were a professor there, I wouldn't change my class schedule to accommodate it.

Quote:
I am also struck by the complete lack of discourse being demonstrated by college students.
I note you didn't say "surprised". You are right not to be.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 02:18 PM   #3
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 16,954
triggered
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 02:24 PM   #4
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,165
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I wouldn't be "fully supportive". I find such public demonstrations pretty pointless, regardless of the cause. But I wouldn't oppose or try to stop it either. But if I were a professor there, I wouldn't change my class schedule to accommodate it.
I would be supportive, in part because I support the message, but also because I think this is an effective way to get that message conveyed.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I note you didn't say "surprised". You are right not to be.
I would have been surprised several months ago. Today, not so much. I'm still appalled and saddened, but I'm not surprised anymore. Which is sad in and of itself.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 02:44 PM   #5
madurobob
Philosopher
 
madurobob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Blue Heaven
Posts: 7,157
Isn't evergreen that hippy school with no grades and no real curriculum?

Imagine my surprise.
__________________
I love you and I vote.
madurobob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 02:49 PM   #6
bytewizard
Graduate Poster
 
bytewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the woods
Posts: 1,563
And the professor is a self proclaimed progressive. Ah, the progressive teacher/student relationship comes full circle.
bytewizard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 03:01 PM   #7
Giz
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 7,420
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I am also struck by the complete lack of discourse being demonstrated by college students.
Putting it mildly.

The students at Evergreen State sound as if they'd be happier at a Seminary than at an institution of rationalism and higher learning.
Giz is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 03:14 PM   #8
Shepherd
Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 177
Ouch. Do you suppose someone finally realized that our minority "Day of Absence" was actually our secret white person "Day of Celebration"? I told you this couldn't last! ...and that even one of these slow minority types would eventually figure it out!
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 03:15 PM   #9
bytewizard
Graduate Poster
 
bytewizard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: In the woods
Posts: 1,563
Almost all of the protesters were white and most of those look like they take full advantage of the college's lunch program. Put down the fork and learn to read. What was racist in the Professor's letter?
bytewizard is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 03:17 PM   #10
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
I'ld enjoy the day off and go soak in a hot spring somewhere.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 03:45 PM   #11
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 43,486
Exclusion from a day of absence? How many people are going to show up by mistake just because of the confusion surrounding a double negative?
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 03:45 PM   #12
mgidm86
Illuminator
 
mgidm86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,607
I'm sure the school could never survive without multiculturalism. The whole idea is stupid - A Day Of Absence, A Day Without Mexicans. How about a day without preachy asswipes? Just one day.

Oh thank you great school for showing me the errors of my ways! We would not be able to survive without your incredible progressive wisdom! Your moral superiority is inspiring! Now blow me.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 04:15 PM   #13
Joe Random
Graduate Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,641
Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
Almost all of the protesters were white and most of those look like they take full advantage of the college's lunch program. Put down the fork and learn to read. What was racist in the Professor's letter?
There's a pic of the letter in this article : https://mic.com/articles/178730/ever...nce#.9Mpr2sRzy
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 04:52 PM   #14
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,107
Originally Posted by bytewizard View Post
What was racist in the Professor's letter?
The Oregonian newspaper has published the full set of emails, they can be read in PDF form in this article:

Quote:
The News Tribune and The Olympian have obtained copies of emails written by an Evergreen State College professor who sparked a campus backlash and wider debate by criticizing a race-based event at the school.

Some students at the liberal college called for Bret Weinstein to be fired after he questioned the tactics of the people promoting the school’s annual Day of Absence.

http://www.theolympian.com/news/poli...153826004.html


The rest of their coverage is well worth reading as well.
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st June 2017, 04:54 PM   #15
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,054
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Ouch. Do you suppose someone finally realized that our minority "Day of Absence" was actually our secret white person "Day of Celebration"? I told you this couldn't last! ...and that even one of these slow minority types would eventually figure it out!
Eddie Murphy figured it out years ago.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 01:55 AM   #16
baron
Illuminator
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,832
Anybody giving credence to any of this needs their head examined. A Day of Absence! **** off. If the world had an Eternity of Absence from these PC idiots it would be a better place.
__________________
I'm sorry, the fish is awful.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 05:26 AM   #17
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,107
For anyone who is interested, this video comes from one of the Alt-Right channels I keep an eye on, it includes a video from the students protest. Presented to show how the story is playing amongst the Alt-Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvwQptFwXM
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:18 AM   #18
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing
 
uke2se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 10,561
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
For anyone who is interested, this video comes from one of the Alt-Right channels I keep an eye on, it includes a video from the students protest. Presented to show how the story is playing amongst the Alt-Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvwQptFwXM
Why would anyone want to watch that? Could you summarize it in your own words instead?
__________________
Before you say something stupid about climate change, check this list.
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:36 AM   #19
baron
Illuminator
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
For anyone who is interested, this video comes from one of the Alt-Right channels I keep an eye on, it includes a video from the students protest. Presented to show how the story is playing amongst the Alt-Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amvwQptFwXM
Are those two alt-right? Everything they said is not only common sense, it's anti-racist.
__________________
I'm sorry, the fish is awful.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 06:52 AM   #20
BStrong
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,904
Between right wing idiots that believe any issue can be decided in their favor by using military force and the goof balls on that campus, we may well be doomed.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:40 AM   #21
Bogative
Muse
 
Bogative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 973
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Are those two alt-right? Everything they said is not only common sense, it's anti-racist.

Anti-racism is the new racism.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 07:54 AM   #22
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,054
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I would be supportive, in part because I support the message, but also because I think this is an effective way to get that message conveyed.
I suspect we don't agree on what their message is. I believe the real message of the protests is not the nominal message, and their attempts to get this professor fired are not simply overzealous efforts in the cause of the nominal message but an integral part of the real message.

Quote:
I would have been surprised several months ago. Today, not so much. I'm still appalled and saddened, but I'm not surprised anymore. Which is sad in and of itself.
The movement in this direction has been going on a lot longer than several months. Remember Prof. Click from Missouri? That was well over a year ago.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:26 AM   #23
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing
 
Newtons Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,016
I tend to have sympathy for the professor in this story. But I can't seem to muster it this time. This insane ideology was shaped and molded by Weinstein and his fellow professors at Evergreen. They taught this ideology. Their students listened and believed it. This is a monster co-created by him. That it has turned on him now isn't sad, it's poetic justice.
__________________
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:27 AM   #24
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
Baron & Bogative- Do me a favor and post why you think that alt right video that was linked was either racist or anti-racist.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:30 AM   #25
baron
Illuminator
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Baron & Bogative- Do me a favor and post why you think that alt right video that was linked was either racist or anti-racist.
It wasn't racist, it was anti-racist, and it was so because it criticised racism and divisiveness. Indeed, how else could it have come by the definition?
__________________
I'm sorry, the fish is awful.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:30 AM   #26
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 8,984
FIREing Weinstein

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) has a thoughtful article on this incident. "Whatever you think of the content of Weinstein’s now infamous email, threatening a professor’s safety, driving his class off campus, and demanding his firing because of his protected speech should trouble anyone who cares about the free exchange of ideas. All the more troubling should be the fact that this isn’t the first time something like this has happened on campus, and, given the environment right now, it might not be the last."

If the students get ride of Professor Weinstein, do they plan to teach themselves biology? Do they want someone with less experience than he has teaching them?
__________________
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had
happened.” – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 2nd June 2017 at 08:38 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:31 AM   #27
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
I think something that people forget about is the legacy of PTSD that slavery leaves on a society or culture. Some of the things the guys said in the alt right video were accurate, some not. The college students protesting may have a point but shouting black power isn't appropriate. True anti-racism is people power. I see wrong on both sides.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:34 AM   #28
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
Originally Posted by baron View Post
It wasn't racist, it was anti-racist, and it was so because it criticized racism and divisiveness. Indeed, how else could it have come by the definition?
Because they stated that these children did not deserve an education because they were inciting racism based on something that happened to their ancestors. They completely ignored the cultural and psychological ramifications that slavery can induce. That's anti-people.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 08:41 AM   #29
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
Here is an article that cites research or perspectives on the long term damages of slavery, specifically in the United States:

https://newrepublic.com/article/1223...lack-americans
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:16 AM   #30
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 64,740
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm a bit surprised this hasn't already shown up on ISF, so I'll go ahead and contribute.

Here's the scenario: A professor at Evergreen University in Oregon protested a policy shift for the campus' annual "Day of Absence". Historically, the Day of Absence has seen minority students and faculty voluntarily absent themselves from campus on that day, in order to demonstrate the value of their contributions and presence at school.
Wow, what a bunch of drama queens.

Quote:
This year, however, it was proposed that instead of people of color choosing to stay home... they should instead insist that white people shouldn't be allowed to come to school.
In order to demonstrate the worthlessness of their contributions, I'm sure.

Quote:
As a result of his email, Professor Weinstein has since been subjected to verbal abuse and threats.
Of course he has. There's no justice in social justice.
__________________
"Yes. But we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves. Attack!"
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:20 AM   #31
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 64,740
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I think something that people forget about is the legacy of PTSD that slavery leaves on a society or culture.
What in the blue hell are you babbling about? PTSD on society?
__________________
"Yes. But we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves. Attack!"
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:22 AM   #32
baron
Illuminator
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Because they stated that these children did not deserve an education because they were inciting racism based on something that happened to their ancestors. They completely ignored the cultural and psychological ramifications that slavery can induce. That's anti-people.
Slavery. Give me a break. These students are amongst the global top 1% in terms of privilege and opportunity, it's difficult to imagine a more privileged group, and what do they do with their advantage? Whine about how they're downtrodden because they can't exclude white people from their college, march around chanting racist slogans, vilify their very own teachers for no reason and attempt to destroy their careers, and generally act like the spoiled brats that they are. So yes, every one of them should be expelled and their university places given to deserving people of whatever ethnicity who would appreciate a thousand times over the opportunity to study in their place. The only downside is we'd have to listen to all the apologists claiming that the reason they were 'on the streets' is not because of their disgusting behaviour, but on account of all us nasty white racists who wouldn't give them a chance. Pass the tissues, it's all so sad.
__________________
I'm sorry, the fish is awful.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:28 AM   #33
Pterodactyl
Muse
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 597
Just my opinion, but crap like this is exactly how middle class whites in America get driven to supporting conservatives (or even Trump) when they would otherwise have no inkling to do so.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:29 AM   #34
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 64,740
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Just my opinion, but crap like this is exactly how middle class whites in America get driven to supporting conservatives (or even Trump) when they would otherwise have no inkling to do so.
BS. White middle-class Americans tend to support the GOP anyway. Do you have any evidence that this sort of nonsense, frustrating as it is, somehow converted them from one party to the other in large numbers?
__________________
"Yes. But we'll hit theirs as well. We have reserves. Attack!"
Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:34 AM   #35
Pterodactyl
Muse
 
Pterodactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 597
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
BS. White middle-class Americans tend to support the GOP anyway. Do you have any evidence that this sort of nonsense, frustrating as it is, somehow converted them from one party to the other in large numbers?
No.
But I think this type of divisiveness has effects, and I dont know what otherwise could be the result. People who feel alienated tend to align themselves with people who, you know, don't alienate them.
Pterodactyl is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:35 AM   #36
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.
 
Dr. Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Texas
Posts: 13,428
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I'm sure the school could never survive without multiculturalism. The whole idea is stupid - A Day Of Absence, A Day Without Mexicans. How about a day without preachy asswipes? Just one day.

Oh thank you great school for showing me the errors of my ways! We would not be able to survive without your incredible progressive wisdom! Your moral superiority is inspiring! Now blow me.
Moist?

If you can remember this other word for me, please let me know, but in a different thread.
__________________
I once proposed a fun ban.

Suffering is not a punishment not a fruit of sin, it is a gift of God.
He allows us to share in His suffering and to make up for the sins of the world. -Mother Teresa
Dr. Keith is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:44 AM   #37
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
What in the blue hell are you babbling about? PTSD on society?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transgenerational_trauma

Repeated generational trauma, regardless of the cause, whether it's genocide or slavery, or even both, has lasting affects on a culture or race that isn't easily undone by signing an emancipation proclamation. This trauma was never addressed in the African American society so any problems with racism will never be resolved until that is addressed in treatment programs.


Now how this relates to the topic, the percentage of African Americans living in Washington state is small. The reason this whole situation happened was due to cultural insensitivity under the guise of a good cause. The last thing you want to ever do is accuse a hippy of being a hypocrite although they so often are. Nobody had a problem with this until they asked the white people to leave. I'm guessing Rashida is African American and it looks like it was her idea....LOLOLOL.

If they really want to stop racism, it stops with the assumptions that you make about people in general. You incorporate that into your everyday life, not set aside a day to think about it with like kind.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd

Last edited by Jodie; 2nd June 2017 at 09:59 AM.
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 09:58 AM   #38
BStrong
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,904
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
I think something that people forget about is the legacy of PTSD that slavery leaves on a society or culture. Some of the things the guys said in the alt right video were accurate, some not. The college students protesting may have a point but shouting black power isn't appropriate. True anti-racism is people power. I see wrong on both sides.
I have PTSD.

What you are referencing isn't PTSD.

What you describe is either a general sense of collective guilt for immoral actions and practices committed by our predecessors and the anger of individuals that feel their anger is properly directed at the ancestors of the individuals and society that committed those acts.

Point of fact.

The worst incident of lynching/mob violence based on race was committed on My predecessors, Sicilians in New Orleans:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_14,_1891_lynchings

The March 14, 1891 lynchings were a series of lynchings of eleven Italian Americans in New Orleans, Louisiana, for their alleged role in the murder of police chief David Hennessy. It was the largest mass lynching in U.S. history.[1][2][note 1]

The lynching took place the day after the trial of nine of the nineteen men indicted in the murder. Six of these defendants had been acquitted, and a mistrial had been declared for the remaining three because the jury failed to agree on their verdicts. Believing the jury had been bribed, a mob broke into the jail where the men were being held and killed eleven of them. The mob numbered in the thousands and included some of the city's most prominent citizens. American press coverage of the event was largely congratulatory, and those responsible for the lynching were never charged.

The incident had serious national repercussions. Italy cut off diplomatic relations with the United States, sparking rumors of war. Increased anti-Italian sentiment led to calls for restrictions on immigration. The word "Mafia" entered the American lexicon, and the stereotype of the Italian-American mafioso was firmly established in the popular imagination.


I heard about it often as a kid.
__________________
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Col. Jeff Cooper, U.S.M.C.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:04 AM   #39
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher
 
Beelzebuddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,418
Originally Posted by Pterodactyl View Post
Just my opinion, but crap like this is exactly how middle class whites in America get driven to supporting conservatives (or even Trump) when they would otherwise have no inkling to do so.
What exactly do you refer to with "crap?"

I don't disagree with you in theory, assuming that "crap like this" means "covering the stupid antics of one of the most insular liberal arts colleges as if it was the slightest bit representative of the nation as a whole." It's typical right-wing bias, where anything objectionable on the right is downplayed, but anything on the left is cause for mass hysteria.
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:05 AM   #40
Jodie
Philosopher
 
Jodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,869
Originally Posted by baron View Post
Slavery. Give me a break. These students are amongst the global top 1% in terms of privilege and opportunity, it's difficult to imagine a more privileged group, and what do they do with their advantage? Whine about how they're downtrodden because they can't exclude white people from their college, march around chanting racist slogans, vilify their very own teachers for no reason and attempt to destroy their careers, and generally act like the spoiled brats that they are. So yes, every one of them should be expelled and their university places given to deserving people of whatever ethnicity who would appreciate a thousand times over the opportunity to study in their place. The only downside is we'd have to listen to all the apologists claiming that the reason they were 'on the streets' is not because of their disgusting behaviour, but on account of all us nasty white racists who wouldn't give them a chance. Pass the tissues, it's all so sad.
What these young people are doing is wrong but transgenerational trauma or multigeneraltional PTSD related to persecution of a culture crosses all socioeconomic classes. They aren't acting like spoiled brats, they are venting rage that never had a voice before because we are told to get over it, stiff upper lip, and move on. There is a better way to do that, Martin Luther King had it right. So it wasn't a problem to ask all of the brown people to take a day of absence but when white people were asked to leave it caused a problem, see the hypocrisy? It works both ways.
__________________
"When I was a child I caught a fleeting glimpse out of the corner of my eye. I turned to look but it was gone, I cannot put my finger on it now. The child is grown, the dream is gone. I have become comfortably numb. " Pink Floyd
Jodie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:14 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.