ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 11th June 2017, 12:02 PM   #281
mgidm86
Illuminator
 
mgidm86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 3,688
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
What are society's obligations? I'd say the health and happiness of its people. So yeah, people's feelings do come into play. If you think society doesn't care about people's feelings, try desecrating a grave some time and see what happens.
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Yes, yes, yes, a billion times yes. What is the point of even existing if we can't be happy? Society exists so that the individuals within it can exist and be happy. If society only preserved our lives but made us miserable we'd be better off without society--or life itself.



Do you ever stop jumping to conclusions, reading things in that aren't there, or constructing strawmen to attack? I never said anything about making people happy, or being responsible for their happiness. We built civilization to create the opportunity for happiness.

As for the rest of that drivel, you have a peculiarly disgusting mind and a terrible view of humanity. I advise you to seek spiritual help.



You have a peculiar notion of casuality as well if you think things exist independent of their causes. We write laws because of our desires. Either to do something, or stop something from being done. Laws absolutely depend upon our feelings because we create them when we feel like it to do things we feel we want to have done, and we change or remove laws when we feel we aren't happy with the results.

It seems a disease among self-proclaimed sceptics that they want to pretend to be above having feelings. Well, guess what? You're not. Feelings are the reason we do pretty much everything, ever. And no, they don't make rational sense. Guess what else doesn't make rational sense? Existence. We are irrational beings. Get over it!

Definitely irrational, I agree there.

Obliged or opportunity?

Actually I'll just say I'm confused by this. I know I am not obliged to make anyone happy. I can call someone a butthead or I can wish them a nice day.

Name a law that was designed solely to protect someones feelings. Maybe there are plenty, just asking.

You mention desecrating a grave. That is vandalism. But I can take a photo of the grave, write Satan Rules on the photo, and publish it online. Not illegal.

Can I call a fat person fatty, or a bald person baldy? Yes I can.

Can I fire someone for that same reason? No, but not because of "feelings". That is a civil rights issue.

I don't think you're making much sense.

It's like saying Apple has feelings because they give to charity, when in reality, their "feelings" are actually a team of lawyers and PR experts.
mgidm86 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th June 2017, 05:10 PM   #282
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,608
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Do you ever stop jumping to conclusions, reading things in that aren't there, or constructing strawmen to attack?
I could do a point-by-point rebuttal of your post, but it's not worth the effort. You have badly misread everything I've written, and committed the exact error you accuse me of. I am not pretending to be above feelings (nor do I think that's possible or desirable). I am not arguing that feelings don't matter. I'm not claiming that society should be indifferent to the feelings of its members.

I am, however, arguing against what amounts to emotional blackmail. And that is what's going on with Evergreen, and what is in essence being argued for with regard to feelings based on delusions. Capitulate to my demands, or I will feel bad. The demand is an absurdity. That it is being met is a tragedy.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 08:41 AM   #283
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
That's some confused thinking. Here, I'll break it down for you:
1) Reality is that which exists
2) Feelings exist
3) Feelings are just a part of reality like any other - same as that ham sandwich over there.

Also, I hope no one finds this offensive. Even if offensive isn't real.
None of which counters what I said.

Feelings exist, yes. Already said that. Reality is not dependent on feelings. Your feelings do not DEFINE reality.

Again... just because one feels offended doesn't mean that anything actually offensive occurred. Just because one feels afraid doesn't mean that anything actually scary has occurred. Just because one feels persecuted doesn't mean that any actual persecution has occurred.

In fact... offense, fear, anger, and paranoia without actual supporting events is generally considered a symptom of a mental disorder.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 08:46 AM   #284
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Society exists so that the individuals within it can exist and be happy. If society only preserved our lives but made us miserable we'd be better off without society--or life itself.
Let me introduce you to the concept of evolution.

Society doesn't exist as something separate. It's an outcome of our evolution. It developed because humans in social groups tend to have higher likelihoods of successful reproduction. That's the only reason that society exists. If in some cases living in society makes us also feel happier, that would be a positive feedback mechanism that also evolved as society did. Just like eating fats provides a positive feedback mechanism; humans who receive a positive feedback from eating fats tend to eat more of them, and humans who eat more fats tend to reproduce better.

Any of the other benefits of society that you perceive to exist are cherries. "Society" isn't some separate thing, and it has no obligation at all. Chairs also don't have obligations, nor do middle toes.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 09:54 AM   #285
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 43,868
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Let me introduce you to the concept of evolution.
Let me introduce you to the concept of intellect. Humans have it. We are above mere animals, and are not limited to functioning solely by biology. 'Life is more than mere survival', for humans. We can do as we please, and it pleases some of us to make improvements to the world to further our enjoyment of life. See: art, science, entertainment, et al.
__________________
One cannot expect wisdom to flow from a pumpkin.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 10:40 AM   #286
applecorped
Rotten to the Core
 
applecorped's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 17,221
Mere animals? Meh, I've been called worse
__________________
All You Need Is Love.
applecorped is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 11:30 AM   #287
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,002
Yeoman on guard

Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
I am begging to wonder if Evergreen College used this course featured in this video by the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EbQfmVoOfM

If you think that is too long, they have a shorter video covering five incidents (2 Left wing victims / 3 Right wing victims).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS6IA93o79s
Thank you for these links. FIRE has done yeoman's work in this and other areas. BTW a quick Google search on "yeoman's work" turns up at least one essay that suggests that this term should be abandoned. Not sure I agree.
__________________
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had
happened.” – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 12th June 2017 at 11:37 AM. Reason: changed title
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 12:08 PM   #288
baron
Illuminator
 
baron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 4,832
Originally Posted by TragicMonkey View Post
Let me introduce you to the concept of intellect. Humans have it. We are above mere animals, and are not limited to functioning solely by biology.
I think you'll find we are.
__________________
I'm sorry, the fish is awful.
baron is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 01:04 PM   #289
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
None of which counters what I said.

Feelings exist, yes. Already said that. Reality is not dependent on feelings. Your feelings do not DEFINE reality.

Again... just because one feels offended doesn't mean that anything actually offensive occurred. Just because one feels afraid doesn't mean that anything actually scary has occurred. Just because one feels persecuted doesn't mean that any actual persecution has occurred.

In fact... offense, fear, anger, and paranoia without actual supporting events is generally considered a symptom of a mental disorder.
OK, I'll bite. What, in your view, defines reality if it isn't going to be "things which exist?"
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 01:19 PM   #290
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,608
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
OK, I'll bite. What, in your view, defines reality if it isn't going to be "things which exist?"
"Pancake" and "tree" are both words, and their definitions can be found in a dictionary. The dictionary entry for the word "pancake" defines the word "pancake". The dictionary entry for the word "tree" does not define the word "pancake", or any other word in the dictionary.

Your feelings define nothing except your feelings. They constitute a very small fraction of the "things which exist".
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 01:21 PM   #291
Newtons Bit
Penultimate Amazing
 
Newtons Bit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 10,016
Are you guys effectively dancing around the whole "brain in a jar" theory of life?
__________________
"Structural Engineering is the art of molding materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze so as to understand forces we cannot really assess in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our own ignorance." James E Amrhein
Newtons Bit is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 01:47 PM   #292
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
Your feelings define nothing except your feelings. They constitute a very small fraction of the "things which exist".
Your feelings define nothing except your feelings.

What else are they supposed to define? Yes, they are a small fraction of "things which exist," but are nonetheless a definite "something." I can't imagine doing without them.

Curious though. Why all the resistance to just admitting feelings are real? For a minute there I was worried.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 01:49 PM   #293
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Are you guys effectively dancing around the whole "brain in a jar" theory of life?
The Cartesian theater version, maybe. (But not really. )
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 02:02 PM   #294
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,608
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Your feelings define nothing except your feelings.

What else are they supposed to define?
Your previous post suggested they define quite a lot more. That's the only reasonable reading of the question of feelings defining reality. The word "reality" in context is obviously not meant to refer to only feelings, but to external physical objects and actions, which feelings most definitely do not define.

Quote:
Curious though. Why all the resistance to just admitting feelings are real?
Nobody is resisting that. You are just doing a terrible, terrible job at communicating your ideas.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 02:13 PM   #295
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Since we seem to have narrowed down the job "reality" has to do when it comes to feelings, can we rewind the arguments and see where we end up?

We are here:
1) Feelings exist

Can we get to here?
2) Feelings do offer us insight about the external world (although they do not directly create that world). They inject a layer of meaning, of valuation, of "importance to me."
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 03:18 PM   #296
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
OK, I'll bite. What, in your view, defines reality if it isn't going to be "things which exist?"
Physics, ETA: maybe chemistry, although that could be argued to be an aspect of physics
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 03:19 PM   #297
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Newtons Bit View Post
Are you guys effectively dancing around the whole "brain in a jar" theory of life?
Honestly, I'm not really sure what the song is anymore.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 03:20 PM   #298
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Your feelings define nothing except your feelings.

What else are they supposed to define? Yes, they are a small fraction of "things which exist," but are nonetheless a definite "something." I can't imagine doing without them.

Curious though. Why all the resistance to just admitting feelings are real? For a minute there I was worried.
For the sixth, seventh, eight (?) time... absolutely nobody has claimed that feelings don't exist. That is your strawman, yours alone.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 03:30 PM   #299
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Since we seem to have narrowed down the job "reality" has to do when it comes to feelings, can we rewind the arguments and see where we end up?

We are here:
1) Feelings exist

Can we get to here?
2) Feelings do offer us insight about the external world (although they do not directly create that world). They inject a layer of meaning, of valuation, of "importance to me."
You've moved the goal posts. If you'd like to go ahead and acknowledge that you've moved them, we can happily move on from their new position. I can almost guarantee that you'll have very little argument from their new location.

Just for reference... here's the genesis of this distraction:
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Okay then. I feel offended, therefore you're being offensive?
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Yes.
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Feelings define reality, then.
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Sometimes, yes.
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh, this should be good: when?
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
I am angry. I am afraid.
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
That's funny, because neither of those things define objective reality. Because you're afraid, for instance, doesn't mean there's a real danger present.
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
My sibling is bipolar. She's often angry and/or afraid. That doesn't define reality though.
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
That word is missing from your previous version. Did I get the old bait and switch?
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
There's only one reality, and it's the objective one.
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
It makes me feel sad because the subject deserves more than the topic will allow. We've taken a tortuous path from Professor objects --> unsupported oppression --> PTSD and language redefinition --> culturally created facts --> whether or not feelings are real. I'm saddened because the thread drift can't support another extension.
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Well, that's funny because no one ever said feelings are not real. In fact it was never a question.

The question is whether feelings determine/define reality. They do not.
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
OK, feelings are real, but they don't determine/define reality?

Say I decide, based on a feeling, whether to turn right or left. (Or keep betting for another roll of the dice.) Is what happens next real or not real?
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Holy cow. Feelings <> Actions taken

Seriously marplots, this is basic stuff here. Please don't go all solipsist on us.
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Not all solipsist, just some. Are you really prepared to defend the thesis that we don't have feelings or that the actions we take cannot be predicated on those feelings? What a strange world that would be.
And it went further downhill from there.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 04:14 PM   #300
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,314
Yes, it wasn't about whether feelings are real, but about whether they inform you about something real.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 04:40 PM   #301
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Yes, it wasn't about whether feelings are real, but about whether they inform you about something real.
Do they?

(We've been here before - I suggested that sometimes they do.)
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 04:51 PM   #302
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
OK, I'll bite. What, in your view, defines reality if it isn't going to be "things which exist?"
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Physics, ETA: maybe chemistry, although that could be argued to be an aspect of physics
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
For the sixth, seventh, eight (?) time... absolutely nobody has claimed that feelings don't exist. That is your strawman, yours alone.
I'm perfectly happy working within your framework. So let me try it again and you can fix where I'm misunderstanding...

Feelings exist, but they are not primary. Instead, feelings are derived from the underlying physics.

How's that?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 11:04 PM   #303
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,761
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Can we get to here?
2) Feelings do offer us insight about the external world (although they do not directly create that world). They inject a layer of meaning, of valuation, of "importance to me."
Maybe we can talk about a specific example? For instance, how do you think this applies to the Evergreen thing?
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 01:16 AM   #304
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post
Maybe we can talk about a specific example? For instance, how do you think this applies to the Evergreen thing?
"Thing" is a nice way of putting it - I'm not sure, at this point, who's on first. But if we divide things up along pro/anti professor side, I think we can see how it works.

Party A identifies something of interest in their environment. Flat out chemotaxis. How that happens in detail isn't known. Still, they do it. They react.

Party B responds to the reaction of party A.

Neither side is willing to give up their own evaluation - I propose an ego tie in, but don't know. What happens, almost immediately, is a difference in emphasis between the two parties. A demands the "correct" expression and language (A was the students). B points this out as an example of the very oppression A says they want to avoid, claiming hypocrisy in the mix. A then points to an inability of B (the professor) to properly digest what's going on. Claiming B has a vested interest in the status quo (which he does).

Each side is seeing the issues from their own point of view without the (seeming) ability to reach across the aisle. Appeasement from the administration kicks in but things continue to escalate when the students refuse to compromise. Our professor does a round of social media (where he turns out to be quite effective).

In this hullabaloo, I don't see much in the way of objective, common ground to be had - so long as compromise is off the table. And because each side is making what they feel is a principled ethical argument, it's likely to be intractable.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 01:48 AM   #305
Roboramma
Philosopher
 
Roboramma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Shanghai
Posts: 9,761
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Each side is seeing the issues from their own point of view without the (seeming) ability to reach across the aisle. Appeasement from the administration kicks in but things continue to escalate when the students refuse to compromise. Our professor does a round of social media (where he turns out to be quite effective).

In this hullabaloo, I don't see much in the way of objective, common ground to be had - so long as compromise is off the table. And because each side is making what they feel is a principled ethical argument, it's likely to be intractable.
After watching the JRE interview with the professor I disagree with your assessment. He seems to me to understand very well what the viewpoint of the students is. He just disagrees with them and thinks they are wrong. I think he's right.

Sometimes compromise is off the table because on side really is objectively wrong.

As an example, he mentioned that during a staff meeting (something like that) another staff member made some statements that implied that he was racist. He said that it was obvious that they were talking about him and said that he wasn't racist and that he could demonstrate that fact. The other staff member then said "this isn't the right venue for you to defend accusations of racism". When he asked what the right venue was, the response was "you shouldn't expect there to be a venue to defend yourself from those accusations."

Of course, he may be lying about the above exchange, but if he is that's not a misunderstanding, it's a lie. If he's not, again the problem isn't misunderstanding, it's someone having a bad idea* about how a university should be run.

*yes, this is deliberate understatement.
__________________
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 02:03 AM   #306
Argumemnon
World Maker
 
Argumemnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: In the thick of things
Posts: 67,314
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Do they?

(We've been here before - I suggested that sometimes they do.)
Rarely. As I said before (not sure in this thread) they play the numbers, but they don't actually communicate viable information.
__________________
<Roar!>

Argumemnon is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:31 AM   #307
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Rarely. As I said before (not sure in this thread) they play the numbers, but they don't actually communicate viable information.
You said it in this thread.

I recall, because it appeals to my statistics background, and I found it a pretty compelling concept.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:40 AM   #308
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Neither side is willing to give up their own evaluation - I propose an ego tie in, but don't know. What happens, almost immediately, is a difference in emphasis between the two parties. A demands the "correct" expression and language (A was the students). B points this out as an example of the very oppression A says they want to avoid, claiming hypocrisy in the mix. A then points to an inability of B (the professor) to properly digest what's going on. Claiming B has a vested interest in the status quo (which he does).
Your assessment may represent the feelings of the students, but it doesn't appear to square with observable evidence for the Professor's past behaviors.

What happens is that the students interpreted his devotion to equality as racism, irrespective of his past actions that have clearly been in opposition to racism. The students appear to be unable to grasp that the purposeful and forceful exclusion of a group of people on the basis of their skin color is a bad thing. They also seem to be unable to grasp that forceful exclusion of a group by a different group is not the same thing as voluntary absenting of a group by itself in order to make a statement.

It's the difference between "You're not allowed to play with us because of xxx attribute that you have" and "I'm not going to play with you, I'm taking my toys and going home".

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Each side is seeing the issues from their own point of view without the (seeming) ability to reach across the aisle.
This is demonstrably incorrect if you examine the footage and consider it objectively. The professor is quite willing to see the issue from the student's point of view; he simply believes that their point of view is wrong. He's quite willing to listen and discuss. It's the students who are unwilling to consider his viewpoint and are unwilling to listen to anything he says. It's the students who have been threatening him and demanding that he be fired because they didn't get their way, and are unwilling to consider the situation objectively.

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Appeasement from the administration kicks in but things continue to escalate when the students refuse to compromise. Our professor does a round of social media (where he turns out to be quite effective).


In this hullabaloo, I don't see much in the way of objective, common ground to be had - so long as compromise is off the table. And because each side is making what they feel is a principled ethical argument, it's likely to be intractable.
That's kind of the point here. Only one side is unwilling to compromise. Only one side is unwilling to listen. Only one side is actively seeking to silence the other. Only one side is threatening violence. Only one side is demanding that the other be forcibly removed from his job. Only one side is purposefully interfering with the equal rights of other students.

There's no comparability here.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:11 AM   #309
Shepherd
Thinker
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 187
Would the minority students have basements they could live in after college like the white kids? If not, they better try to get their act together soon or they may be faced with some serious issues.
Shepherd is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:51 AM   #310
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Shepherd View Post
Would the minority students have basements they could live in after college like the white kids? If not, they better try to get their act together soon or they may be faced with some serious issues.
I'm feeling a bit lost. This statement is wandering across my mind in search of something to connect to...
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:28 AM   #311
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,608
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
I'm feeling a bit lost. This statement is wandering across my mind in search of something to connect to...
I don't think it's connected to any other posts in the thread. The point seems to be that the sort of aggressive radical activism going on at Evergreen is not actually going to help the activists get a job after graduation, and could be quite detrimental to that goal. So engaging in such radicalism is basically a privilege. Truly disadvantaged students don't have the luxury to do it, because they have no family resources to fall back on if they can't land a job post-graduation. But rich kids can still mooch off their parents.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:43 AM   #312
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Ahh. Thank you for the clarification
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 12:25 PM   #313
Joe Random
Graduate Poster
 
Joe Random's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,676
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I don't think it's connected to any other posts in the thread. The point seems to be that the sort of aggressive radical activism going on at Evergreen is not actually going to help the activists get a job after graduation, and could be quite detrimental to that goal. So engaging in such radicalism is basically a privilege. Truly disadvantaged students don't have the luxury to do it, because they have no family resources to fall back on if they can't land a job post-graduation. But rich kids can still mooch off their parents.

... or afford to take time off to protest during the week, or are in a secure enough position to be able to participate in a 'day without <x>' rally without fear of losing livelihood. It's what I was on about in my reply a few pages back : many of the most vocal voices screaming about 'oppression' are (not exclusively) coming from a very comparatively privileged group - i.e. university students. They find or identify with some trait shared by a group which does suffer marginalization to some degree then use that connection to claim an otherwise absent personal oppression, and hector society as a whole to give them things (safe spaces, passing grades, professors who won't commit the sin of having a different opinion, etc.).

Various surveys have shown that atheists as a group are trusted (or whatever nebulous term any given survey uses) less than various other horrible groups like rapists or Hitler clones, or gingers, or whatever. I myself have never had any negative societal effects directed at me as an individual because of my atheism. If I were to bleat loud and long about how oppressed I am as an atheist, how America's long history of mistrusting or stigmatising atheists keeps me from succeeding, and how my school needs to start firing people who don't agree with every syllable I spew out, I'd rightfully be laughed at as a nutjob at best, con-man looking for a score at worst.

That there are people who have suffered due to their lack of belief it's certainly true. For me to claim any part of their victimhood simply on the basis of sharing that unbelief with them is dishonest on my part, and insulting to actual victims behind whom I'm drafting for easier social currency gain (to mix metaphors). As are many (again, not all) of the current crop of campus malcontents.

Last edited by Joe Random; 13th June 2017 at 12:28 PM.
Joe Random is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:40 AM   #314
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,134
From a highly dubious source (an anonymous blog) that the right wing College Fix website seems to think legit:

Quote:
However, there has for some years been a pervasive element to Evergreen in the form of the local Anarchist movement. It is unclear whether this anomalous collective is made up of Alumni, failed students, both, or additional non-students...
http://tescary.blogspot.com.au/2017/...ropaganda.html

Here is the College Fix article:

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/33124/

And from the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education on the 2007 Delaware University Residents Program:

Quote:
Each student will recognize that systemic oppression exists in our society. (sophomore year)

Each student will recognize the benefits of dismantling systems of oppression. (sophomore year)

Each student will be able to utilize their knowledge of sustainability to change their daily habits and consumer mentality. (junior year)

Learn the skills necessary to be a change agent. (junior year)

Demonstrate civic engagement toward the development of a sustainable society. (senior year)
https://www.thefire.org/please-repor...y-of-delaware/
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:06 AM   #315
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Graham2001 View Post
And from the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education on the 2007 Delaware University Residents Program:

https://www.thefire.org/please-repor...y-of-delaware/
Holy cow, that program at Delaware is frightening!
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 11:32 AM   #316
Graham2001
Graduate Poster
 
Graham2001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,134
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Holy cow, that program at Delaware is frightening!
Yes it was, FIRE did manage to put a stop to it, but sadly if you read their report, the details of it had been shared with many other schools.

They also made a 15 minute video report on the affair, which I think I linked to earlier in this thread. Even if I did, I am going to link to it again, as it is well worth watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EbQfmVoOfM

They also have a guide for campus mandated 'thought reform', this appears to predate the events at the University of Delaware. I will note here that it is not illegal to teach that kind of thing, it was the way it was being taught that was the problem...

http://www.thefire.org/pdfs/thought-reform.pdf
__________________
"I need hard facts! Bring in the dowsers!"
'America Unearthed' Season 1, Episode 13: Hunt for the Holy Grail

Everybody gets it wrong sometimes...

Last edited by Graham2001; 14th June 2017 at 11:42 AM.
Graham2001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 10:37 AM   #317
Chris_Halkides
Philosopher
 
Chris_Halkides's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 9,002
Bridges' Op-Ed

The president of Evergreen, George Bridges, wrote an Op-Ed piece. Ari Cohn, a commenter at FIRE, quoted a portion in a tweet: "Although activism on campus was only part of the story, it was distorted, amplified and endlessly repeated via social media and cable news. As we took steps to de-escalate conflict on campus, Twitter feeds blew up with misinformation.

"This small liberal arts college was then hit with a tsunami of hateful harassment targeted at staff, students and faculty. Anxiety rose, and there were confrontations on campus. Threats to Evergreen from outside the college compelled us to suspend classes twice on advice from law enforcement."

Mr. Cohn thinks that this passage implicitly blames Bret Weinstein. A description of some of Professor Weinstein's tweets indicates that the two men are in conflict. My impression of President Bridges' article is that he is too slow to criticize students and staff at Evergreen. Here is a link to Evergreen's Social Contract, which I have skimmed but not parsed closely.
__________________
“Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had
happened.” – Winston Churchill

Last edited by Chris_Halkides; 15th June 2017 at 10:48 AM.
Chris_Halkides is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 09:28 AM   #318
Emily's Cat
Knows how to push buttons... er... press keys
 
Emily's Cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Pacific Northwet
Posts: 8,857
Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
The president of Evergreen, George Bridges, wrote an Op-Ed piece. Ari Cohn, a commenter at FIRE, quoted a portion in a tweet: "Although activism on campus was only part of the story, it was distorted, amplified and endlessly repeated via social media and cable news. As we took steps to de-escalate conflict on campus, Twitter feeds blew up with misinformation.

"This small liberal arts college was then hit with a tsunami of hateful harassment targeted at staff, students and faculty. Anxiety rose, and there were confrontations on campus. Threats to Evergreen from outside the college compelled us to suspend classes twice on advice from law enforcement."

Mr. Cohn thinks that this passage implicitly blames Bret Weinstein. A description of some of Professor Weinstein's tweets indicates that the two men are in conflict. My impression of President Bridges' article is that he is too slow to criticize students and staff at Evergreen. Here is a link to Evergreen's Social Contract, which I have skimmed but not parsed closely.
Huh. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not really seeing that the issue here stems from not having enough education about equity and support for minorities...

Bridges Article:
Quote:
After hearing student concerns, I have increased the college’s equal opportunity staffer to full-time, boosted annual training for campus police officers, expanded a new equity and multicultural center, and raised the staffing budget for multicultural advising services. Evergreen will soon hire its first vice president for equity and inclusion, a college leadership position now common on campuses across the U.S.
__________________
I am me. I am just me. I'm a little like other cats... but mostly I am just me.
Emily's Cat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 10:11 AM   #319
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 38,608
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Huh. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not really seeing that the issue here stems from not having enough education about equity and support for minorities...
That isn't the issue. That's the goal. The protesters got what they want: a payoff. These sorts of "equality" positions are make-work for radical activists. They can't get real jobs, so they agitate for the creation of fake jobs. The point isn't that Evergreen will not be more equitable, the point is that the President is offering them money. This is danegeld. And now, Evergreen will never, ever be rid of the dane.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th June 2017, 10:20 AM   #320
marplots
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 29,167
Originally Posted by Emily's Cat View Post
Huh. Maybe I'm missing something, but I'm not really seeing that the issue here stems from not having enough education about equity and support for minorities...
What's "enough?"
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:59 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
© 2014, TribeTech AB. All Rights Reserved.
This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.