ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags alex jones , media criticism , Megyn Kelly

Old 12th June 2017, 04:09 PM   #1
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Megyn Kelly interview with Alex Jones

So the former darling of the right will be interviewing this moron on Sunday night.

Splendid. Why waste air time?
Old 12th June 2017, 04:13 PM   #2
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Ratings, my friend ,ratings.

What I find ironic is that the militant right is embracing someone who not so long ago accused a GOP administration of the mass murder of 3000 Americans.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 04:56 PM   #3
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Must See TV!

What channel did she end up on?
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 04:59 PM   #4
Childlike Empress
Ewige Blumenkraft

NBC
Old 12th June 2017, 05:18 PM   #5
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

I'm not sure that an interview format will expose Jones as the charlatan he is, but the good news is that apparently Alex is unhappy with the outcome:

Quote:
Alex Jones is responding to the online outcry over his interview with NBC News Megyn Kelly by saying the interview should be pulled.
Back in 2006, Jones said that James B and I were writing Screw Loose Change out of the basement of the Pentagon. Of all the things that people hyperventilate about Trump over, his apparent fondness for old Leatherlungs is at the top of my list of reasons to be skeptical of Trump.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 06:28 PM   #6
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by marplots View Post
Must See TV!

What channel did she end up on?
NBC Sunday 7pm EST
Old 12th June 2017, 08:48 PM   #7
sts60
Master Poster

It's a sad commentary on the state of affairs in this country that we're giving that hateful wretch airtime instead of a straitjacket.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th June 2017, 08:51 PM   #8
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Is he gonna do that crazy rip off his shirt thing?

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 06:50 AM   #9
Praktik
Philosopher

After the Trump interview hype and complete let down, i have little confidence Megyn Kelly will make the most of this interview.

I mean, there's a small chance she could shred him on air and maybe do us all a favour - but im thinking it wont be what I want it to be.
it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. Well pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:29 AM   #10
KDLarsen
Illuminator

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
It's a sad commentary on the state of affairs in this country that we're giving that hateful wretch airtime instead of a straitjacket.
Indeed. I much preferred the BBC's method, where they went and talked to some of the people being harassed by the Sandy Hook CT nutters:
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-39194035
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:31 AM   #11
TraneWreck
Philosopher

I think it's perfectly legitimate to interview Alex Jones. Air his views, talk to the families of Sandy Hook to show the damage he has caused, then rip his ass.

Then point out that he and Trump are besties.

I think Kelly wanted to do the Vaseline coated lens, soft string music, "tell us about your journey" interview. That is very dangerous.
TraneWreck is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:42 AM   #12
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
I'm not sure that an interview format will expose Jones as the charlatan he is, but the good news is that apparently Alex is unhappy with the outcome:

Back in 2006, Jones said that James B and I were writing Screw Loose Change out of the basement of the Pentagon. Of all the things that people hyperventilate about Trump over, his apparent fondness for old Leatherlungs is at the top of my list of reasons to be skeptical of Trump.
IMHO Jones is a opportunist pure and simple. During the Bush years, he pitched his appeal to the left;during the Obama Years, he pitched his appeal to the right. But I do think that in the last eight years he sort of burned his bridges behind him as far as return swing to the left is concerned;thus he has no choice but to support Trump because the core of supporter he picked up in the Obama years are pro Trump. But I do not that Jones has kept the door open a little to turn on Trump if necessary.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:44 AM   #13
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Sad, but there is that little thing called the First Admendment. If Jones wants to spout off and a network wants to give him time there is really nothing that can be done about it that would not do more damage then Jones could do in a long time.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:45 AM   #14
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
So the former darling of the right will be interviewing this moron on Sunday night.

Splendid. Why waste air time?
He was something of a darling of the left during the Bush years. the guy is an oppoturist, pure and simple.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:50 AM   #15
Praktik
Philosopher

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Sad, but there is that little thing called the First Admendment. If Jones wants to spout off and a network wants to give him time there is really nothing that can be done about it that would not do more damage then Jones could do in a long time.
First amendment isn't in question really, is it?

Private corporations can air what they want and what they dont want.

Everything has editorial standards they apply - I think arguing that such a standard could exclude Jones isn't entering free speech threatening territory.

Jones is free to run his own network and speak as much as he wants there - and he does that.

We'd be in Brave New World/Anti-Free Speech Dystopia Land if we went ahead and said all that should be shut down and he should be jailed for what he said.

But saying its a bit of a shame that Jones is getting a platform on a major network?

Im cool with it.
it has become my conviction that things mean pretty much what we want them to mean. Well pluck significance from the least consequential happenstance if it suits us and happily ignore the most flagrantly obvious symmetry between separate aspects of our lives if it threatens some cherished prejudice or cosily comforting belief"
-Iain Banks
Praktik is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:52 AM   #16
Praktik
Philosopher

Megyn Kelly Dropped as Host of Sandy Hook Benefit Over Alex Jones Interview

Good on them
-Iain Banks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:15 PM   #17
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

He was something of a darling of the left during the Bush years. the guy is an oppoturist, pure and simple.
She was the darling - he the moron.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:20 PM   #18
Praktik
Philosopher

Alex Jones a "darling of the left"?

Ya they love the demon talk and the gun-clinging there on the left!
-Iain Banks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:35 PM   #19
Praktik
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Praktik View Post

THough I will say, some of my craziest "far left" friends who were already "in for crazy conspiracies", channeled more infowars in the last year or so than usual. Probably the Hillary/bankster hate was the vector for this "far left meets far right" moment.

I wouldn't count this as "the left" though, at least mainstream left. More like, "further out there than Kucinich" left.
-Iain Banks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:36 PM   #20
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

J P Morgan (Chase) has pulled their advertising from the show.

Alex Jones is a terrible man. I wish Megynn would ask him if he is "performing" during
the interview.

https://twitter.com/i/moments/874628951796318208

I was unable to copy and paste Megyn's response to being pulled as the
host for the Sandy Hook Memorial.

She said (paraphrasing) that she wanted to expose Alex Jones and all his
conspiracies and falsehoods.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:37 PM   #21
Praktik
Philosopher

A contrarian friend on FB thought it rash that they dropped her "before even seeing the interview"

Beware the perils of equanimity, I say...
-Iain Banks
Old 13th June 2017, 12:44 PM   #22
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Jones did not indulge in that particular crap during the Dubya years. During the Dubya years he was one of the main supporters of the 9/11 Truth movement and got along just fine with the Truthers who were lefty.

You seemed to miss my point that Jones is an opportunist,who will swing to the left or the right depending on where he thinks the suckers ripe for the plucking are.

Or are you one of those who does not like to admit that the left is fully capable of producing wackjobs as the right?

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:49 PM   #23
Praktik
Philosopher

Jones did not indulge in that particular crap during the Dubya years. During the Dubya years he was one of the main supporters of the 9/11 Truth movement and got along just fine with the Truthers who were lefty.

You seemed to miss my point that Jones is an opportunist,who will swing to the left or the right depending on where he thinks the suckers ripe for the plucking are.

Or are you one of those who does not like to admit that the left is fully capable of producing wackjobs as the right?
Woulda been a nicer post without the closing question, but I digress

No, just someone with close exposure to lefty conspiracy theorists - most of them went for David Icke, and found the Jones style abrasive. Most said he was probably "disinfo".

Its more in the last year or so that I noticed the Infowars pipeline delivering more content through these sources.

Perhaps lefties in the Truther circles 2001-2009 were more open to him when he was talking about 9/11, i know one pot-smoking, LSD taking psychedelic trance DJ who introduced me to Paul Joseph Watson on the topic of the NAU.

So ya, this overlap has been there - but its more noticeable on the back of last year's election campaign, and Jones, temperementally and culturally and politically, is much more a creature of the far right.

And its that baggage that saw most of my hippie friends avoid him. So much so, I find it strange and alien to hear anyone calling Jones a "darling" of the left. Maybe my sample is skewed from being Canadian, and the fact I find that strange is MY problem. But being a close follower of the American political zeitgeist, im finding it hard to see much supporting the claim he was a "darling of the left" - alternet/salon - these places get clicks from criticizing him, not praising him.

My brother in law though? Crazy huge Infowars fan.

He was never "left" or "far left" though, more of a neutral guy whose only political leaning now is whatever Alex and Mike Adams tell him.
-Iain Banks

Last edited by Praktik; 13th June 2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 13th June 2017, 12:58 PM   #24
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Alex Jones wants to pull the interview too.

LOL

http://people.com/crime/megyn-kelly-...la-alex-jones/

Quote:
On Monday, Jones also called for his interview to be taken off the air. Im calling for @megynkelly to cancel the airing of our interview for misrepresenting my views on Sandy Hook, he tweeted.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:33 PM   #25
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Woulda been a nicer post without the closing question, but I digress

No, just someone with close exposure to lefty conspiracy theorists - most of them went for David Icke, and found the Jones style abrasive. Most said he was probably "disinfo".

Its more in the last year or so that I noticed the Infowars pipeline delivering more content through these sources.

Perhaps lefties in the Truther circles 2001-2009 were more open to him when he was talking about 9/11, i know one pot-smoking, LSD taking psychedelic trance DJ who introduced me to Paul Joseph Watson on the topic of the NAU.

So ya, this overlap has been there - but its more noticeable on the back of last year's election campaign, and Jones, temperementally and culturally and politically, is much more a creature of the far right.

And its that baggage that saw most of my hippie friends avoid him. So much so, I find it strange and alien to hear anyone calling Jones a "darling" of the left. Maybe my sample is skewed from being Canadian, and the fact I find that strange is MY problem. But being a close follower of the American political zeitgeist, im finding it hard to see much supporting the claim he was a "darling of the left" - alternet/salon - these places get clicks from criticizing him, not praising him.

My brother in law though? Crazy huge Infowars fan.

He was never "left" or "far left" though, more of a neutral guy whose only political leaning now is whatever Alex and Mike Adams tell him.
I would say it's more of a "What bunch of suckers can I best exploit this month" attitude.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:35 PM   #26
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post

LOL

Really, Alex? From what I have read Kelly is just portraying the Sandy Hook theory you have been pushing big time even since sandy hook happened.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:37 PM   #27
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Its somewhat Pathetic: Jones is trying to become more Mainstream, but the amount of absolute crap he has said in the past pulls him down...and he can't go back on it without alienating his base of supporters..

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:39 PM   #28
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Its somewhat Pathetic: Jones is trying to become more Mainstream, but the amount of absolute crap he has said in the past pulls him down...and he can't go back on it without alienating his base of supporters..
Well, there's always becoming President of the United States if his TV/Radio gig falls through.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:45 PM   #29
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by snoop_doxie View Post

LOL

I'm seeing that as a "Puhleeeze don't throw me in that brier patch!" kind of move.
Old 13th June 2017, 01:57 PM   #30
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I'm seeing that as a "Puhleeeze don't throw me in that brier patch!" kind of move.
That is what I suspect also. It's not like Jones has not resorted to that tactic before.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 13th June 2017, 02:37 PM   #31
Elagabalus
Graduate Poster

This says it all, really:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's just a schtick.
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 03:12 PM   #32
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Absolute crap is mainstream in Trumpistan. He just wants in on the racket.
Old 13th June 2017, 03:44 PM   #33
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
This says it all, really:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

It's just a schtick.
George Washington 2.0 is the ********* so called upgrade ever. The new development team are hacks who have no idea what the original release stood for.
Old 13th June 2017, 07:51 PM   #34
carlitos
"ms divertido"

I'll just leave this here...

http://imgur.com/a/SvkmZ
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:40 AM   #35
Praktik
Philosopher

^^ this isn't helping me build confidence in the interview...
-Iain Banks
Old 14th June 2017, 11:52 AM   #36
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
George Washington 2.0 is the ********* so called upgrade ever. The new development team are hacks who have no idea what the original release stood for.
,Even putting aside the "I cannot tell a lie" story as pure folklore,George Washington had a reputation for honesty.
Trump is a habitual,constant liar.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 14th June 2017, 11:57 AM   #37
carlitos
"ms divertido"

^^ this isn't helping me build confidence in the interview...
Me neither. Nor is imgur's new layout where I can no longer seem to hotlink from there. The only embed option seems to be some code that doesn't work on this forum.
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 10:25 AM   #38
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Jones sinks to a new low,as hard as that is to believe:

https://www.infowars.com/video-first...t-will-you-do/

Don't tell me that this inflammatory story...which is getting mainstream attention...is not at least partly meant to drum up publicity for the Sunday Interview.

Robert Heinlein.
Old 15th June 2017, 11:07 AM   #39
marplots
Penultimate Amazing

Jones sinks to a new low,as hard as that is to believe:

https://www.infowars.com/video-first...t-will-you-do/

Don't tell me that this inflammatory story...which is getting mainstream attention...is not at least partly meant to drum up publicity for the Sunday Interview.
Is that his normal voice? It sounds like it got Darth Vader electro-tweaked.

I can't even tell if he's making a point or not.

Last edited by marplots; 15th June 2017 at 11:47 AM.
marplots is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th June 2017, 11:12 AM   #40
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And this guy has the ear of the POTUS??????????

Robert Heinlein.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Conspiracies and Conspiracy Theories