ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:28 PM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Huge fire in London

24-story block Grenfell Tower in West Kensington is fully ablaze. Locals are reporting people and children trapped inside with little hope of escape.

Absolutely horrible.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40269625
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:39 PM   #2
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Looks like there may well be major casualties. The fire started at about 1 in the morning when many people will have been asleep.

I wonder if this will prove to be relevant:

http://www.frmjournal.com/news/news_...ns-review.html
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:46 PM   #3
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Some horrific photos on the Guardian page about this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...y-latimer-road
Old 13th June 2017, 08:47 PM   #4
AJM8125
Potsing whiled runk
Tagger

They're keeping track of it over here.

Absolutely horrible.

CCN and FOX reporting people trapped in the top floors.

I hope it isn't what I'm thinking.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Matthew Best
Philosopher

“There was a woman with a child. I saw her waving maybe 30mins ago,” said a man who asked not to be named. “She said I’ve got a child ... I saw them spraying her window.”

Hadil Alamily said in the past hour she saw “someone jump on fire from the top floor”. She had seen him flashing a light in an SOS pattern.

“He was screaming help, help, help but no one helped. He dashed a mattress out of the window. He was literally on fire and jumped.”
Old 13th June 2017, 08:50 PM   #6
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Reaffirms my belief that all tall blocks like these should have an internal stairway that is reinforced against fire and would allow for an exit in these sort of emergencies regardless of how bad the fire was.

I hope that they can get as many people out as they can, but I fear the death toll will be terrible.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:50 PM   #7
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

That sucks, in this day and age, no sprinkler system, inadequate exits, shouldn't happen.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:52 PM   #8
AJM8125
Potsing whiled runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Reaffirms my belief that all tall blocks like these should have an internal stairway that is reinforced against fire and would allow for an exit in these sort of emergencies regardless of how bad the fire was.

I hope that they can get as many people out as they can, but I fear the death toll will be terrible.

That isn't required by fire codes?

Old 13th June 2017, 08:53 PM   #9
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
They're keeping track of it over here.

Absolutely horrible.

CCN and FOX reporting people trapped in the top floors.

I hope it isn't what I'm thinking.
You're hoping it's not Islamic terrorism?
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Reality is going to force you to become me.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:53 PM   #10
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Originally Posted by Matthew Best View Post
Looks like there may well be major casualties. The fire started at about 1 in the morning when many people will have been asleep.

I wonder if this will prove to be relevant:

http://www.frmjournal.com/news/news_...ns-review.html
Not that long ago, so I'd say, yeah, it might have made a difference.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 08:55 PM   #11
AJM8125
Potsing whiled runk
Tagger

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post
You're hoping it's not Islamic terrorism?
Given recent events, the thought occurred to me.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:58 PM   #12
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It seems likely to collapse.
Old 13th June 2017, 08:59 PM   #13
crescent
Graduate Poster

There is a live feed here, if anyone is interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUenV46uyeY

I am surprised to see a fairly modern building burn like that.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:03 PM   #14
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
It seems likely to collapse.
I saw someone saying "how much you want to bet it won't?" and they were a 9/11 truther.

If it does collapse, that will certainly be a blow against their points.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Eye witness on BBC News says he was there very early on - at the same time as the Fire Brigade arrived - went inside the building to rescue people, and he heard no fire alarms, and saw only seven people escape. He thinks that many, many people will have been trapped.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:08 PM   #16
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by AJM8125 View Post
That isn't required by fire codes?

Certainly supposed to, in fact multiple ones according to the codes, and a sprinkler system. That people are trapped and that the fire was able to take control of so much of the building so rapidly questions exactly how well these were implemented in this case.

I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 09:10 PM   #17
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

It's burning completely to the core. Out of control with fire brigades having no meaningful effect. No chance for any survivors that didn't get out right away.

Over 100 apartments there.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:12 PM   #18
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post

Over 100 apartments there.

Last edited by Matthew Best; 13th June 2017 at 09:23 PM.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:14 PM   #19
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

And this would've started while everyone was in bed?
Old 13th June 2017, 09:15 PM   #20
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Reports that large chunks of the building are falling away.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:16 PM   #21
Matthew Best
Philosopher

And this would've started while everyone was in bed?
It's reported to have started between 1 and 2am.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:17 PM   #22
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Oh wow. There could be more than 100 dead.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:17 PM   #23
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

If it doesn't collapse, does this lend any credence to 9/11 truthers, or not so much?
Old 13th June 2017, 09:20 PM   #24
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

If it doesn't collapse, does this lend any credence to 9/11 truthers, or not so much?
I think it's too unrelated to matter. It lacks jets and their fuel among other differences.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:22 PM   #25
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Depends on its construction. If it's reinforce concrete, then no. If it's steel beam and post, also not very much. A lot of the collapse of the WTC was due to the construction technique. Other styles of construction might or might not fail under similar circumstances.

My Apollo Page.
Old 13th June 2017, 09:36 PM   #26
Tony Stark
Suspended

Hopefully it isn't as bad in terms of loss of life as it looks.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:02 PM   #27
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

Some of the views in this live stream show a section of the building that was spared. Hopefully that included an escape stairwell.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:04 PM   #28
Bob001
Illuminator

The link says this:
Quote:
It is managed by the Kensington and Chelsea Tenant Management Organisation (KCTMO) on behalf of the council and had undergone a two-year, £10m refurbishment that was completed last year.
I would think that would mean it was fully up to the latest codes. It's hard to understand how this could happen.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 10:09 PM   #29
Matthew Best
Philosopher

The leader of K&C Council says that "several hundred" people would have been in the building.

He also said that the building underwent an inspection at the time of its renovation last year.

No word on a possible cause for the fire, but terrorism has not yet been mentioned.
Old 13th June 2017, 10:10 PM   #30
GnaGnaMan
Muse

Apparently this was waiting to happen:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...l-a-fire-risk/

Quote:
We have blogged many times on the subject of fire safety at Grenfell Tower and we believe that these investigations will become part of damning evidence of the poor safety record of the KCTMO should a fire affect any other of their properties and cause the loss of life that we are predicting:
Old 13th June 2017, 10:43 PM   #31
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by GnaGnaMan View Post

With some four and a half years worth of fire risk warnings... looks like some of the property trustees might be looking for legal representation soon.

eta: From a wide aerial shot just now... it appears to be just one of five identical towers in that development.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.

Last edited by Jim_MDP; 13th June 2017 at 10:46 PM.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 11:39 PM   #32
Tony Stark
Suspended

A post from November 2016.

Quote:
It is a truly terrifying thought but the Grenfell Action Group firmly believe that only a catastrophic event will expose the ineptitude and incompetence of our landlord, the KCTMO, and bring an end to the dangerous living conditions and neglect of health and safety legislation that they inflict upon their tenants and leaseholders. We believe that the KCTMO are an evil, unprincipled, mini-mafia who have no business to be charged with the responsibility of looking after the every day management of large scale social housing estates and that their sordid collusion with the RBKC Council is a recipe for a future major disaster.
https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpres...ing-with-fire/
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 11:44 PM   #33
GnaGnaMan
Muse

The building underwent some major refurbishment in recent years. New cladding was added. From the pictures it looks like that cladding burned.

A new smoke ventilationl system was also added. The responsible company described it in a blog post almost exactly 1 year ago. Apparently it's already deleted. Nice to see the pros are on the job.
Here's the archived version:
http://web.archive.org/web/201706140...ation-project/
Doesn't sound like they planned for more than individual flat fires.

Residents were told to stay inside their flats in case of fire.
Quote:
The ‘stay put’ fire policy
The smoke detection systems have been upgraded and extended. The Fire Brigade has asked us to reinforce the message that, if there is a fire which is not inside your own home, you are generally safest to stay put in your home to begin with; the Fire Brigade will arrive very quickly if a fire is reported.
The only reason you should leave your home is if the fire is inside your home. In this case you and your family should leave the flat immediately: close your door behind you, leave the building and call the 999, giving your address and postcode.
If there is a fire in the block near your flat, and you believe you are at risk and would prefer to evacuate the building, then please do so using the stairs and wait outside the building for the Fire Brigade to arrive.
http://www.kctmo.org.uk/files/100428...y_2016_vff.pdf
Old 13th June 2017, 11:53 PM   #34
Mid
Muse

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The link says this:

I would think that would mean it was fully up to the latest codes. It's hard to understand how this could happen.
Watching BBC news there's talk of the renovation not yet being finished and the installation of gas pipes into the building.

The building it self looks like it's a late 60s/early 70s building and you'd imagine a number of the residents would have lived there since it was built so could well be a number of elderly residents which would make evacuation difficult even in the best of circumstances.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 11:56 PM   #35
Mid
Muse

Also watching the news some residents are saying it took the fire brigade a long time to get there. Could be just their perception given shock etc. but if response times were slow there will be a lot of fallout from it given the cuts to the service introduced by the previous Mayor and the concerns raised by the union at the time about response times being increased.
Mid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th June 2017, 11:59 PM   #36
The Don
Penultimate Amazing

Those pictures are truly frightening and I fear for all trapped inside that block. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the fire suppression systems were absent, fire exists inadequate and fire evacuation process outdated.

A fire breaking out at that time of day is also pretty much a worse case scenario.
The Don is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 12:05 AM   #37
Skeptic Ginger
formerly skeptigirl

The building underwent some major refurbishment in recent years. New cladding was added. From the pictures it looks like that cladding burned.

A new smoke ventilationl system was also added. The responsible company described it in a blog post almost exactly 1 year ago. Apparently it's already deleted. Nice to see the pros are on the job.

If you have to traverse 20 floors of a smoke-filled stairwell, you would not have made it anyway.
Old 14th June 2017, 12:09 AM   #38
Mid
Muse

Originally Posted by Mid View Post
Also watching the news some residents are saying it took the fire brigade a long time to get there. Could be just their perception given shock etc. but if response times were slow there will be a lot of fallout from it given the cuts to the service introduced by the previous Mayor and the concerns raised by the union at the time about response times being increased.
Well response time was good, under 6 minutes apparently according to fire brigade update just reported
Old 14th June 2017, 01:00 AM   #39
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
The link says this:

That may not mean much of the codes haven't been reviewed.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 01:03 AM   #40
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Cheap cladding nearly produced the same fire here in Melbourne. It went up like fireworks. The "inflammable" standard seems to be very flexible.

Several pictures here of cheap flammable cladding.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1801571
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events