ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Hodgkinson , shooting incidents , Steve Scalise , violent rhetoric

Old 14th June 2017, 05:04 AM   #1
Stacko
Philosopher

Shooting at GOP Baseball Practice./Gunman targets Republicans

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/14...ople-shot.html

Quote:
House Majority Whip Steve Scalise and aides were shot at a baseball practice in Virginia Wednesday, Fox News confirmed.
Fox is also reporting the gunman has been shot and killed. Hopefully he's the only fatality.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:06 AM   #2
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I don't really give a crap if Steve Scalise dies.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:19 AM   #3
Stacko
Philosopher

CBS is reporting it was a charity game with both GOP and Dems.
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:22 AM   #4
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

In before "it was the libs"
Old 14th June 2017, 05:23 AM   #5
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Really, you should. America doesnt need an extreme divide where policians become assassination targets. Prior history of such acknowledged.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:24 AM   #6
RussDill
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Really, you should. America doesnt need an extreme divide where policians become assassination targets. Prior history of such acknowledged.
Really interesting to see the mask drop on some members when things like this happen.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:26 AM   #7
Stacko
Philosopher

On the other hand it looks like Scalise's mere presence helped save lives.
Rand Paul on MSNBC says Scalise being there likely saved everyone because his presence (he's leadership) meant Capitol Police were there
Old 14th June 2017, 05:26 AM   #8
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RussDill View Post
Really interesting to see the mask drop on some members when things like this happen.
I've never pretended that I don't hate Republicans.

Why should I give a crap about his life when he doesn't give a crap about the many Americans that will die if he gets what he wants?
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:29 AM   #9
Stacko
Philosopher

Alexandria police are reporting that the shooter is in custody.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:33 AM   #10
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Well, that sure blew the Sessions reports off the news radar.

Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
I didn't listen to the report, but it was a practice, not a game, and only the GOP members were there. The game is (was) scheduled for tomorrow night.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:33 AM   #11
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Can any of our readers here identify "part of the problem".
Old 14th June 2017, 05:34 AM   #12
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
The problem are Republican trash in Congress and the White House.

So what if one of them dies.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:34 AM   #13
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

??

LOL who was wearing a mask?
Old 14th June 2017, 05:35 AM   #14
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

That seems pretty silly.

We don't even know yet if it was his presence that precipitated the attack in the first place.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:38 AM   #15
RussDill
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
??

LOL who was wearing a mask?
Heh, fortunately, it's right on the avatar, so there should be less confusion. Republican or Democrat, Scalise was elected by the people to represent this country. An attack on any member of congress is an attack on our democracy and constitution.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:40 AM   #16
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

I've never pretended that I don't hate Republicans.

Why should I give a crap about his life when he doesn't give a crap about the many Americans that will die if he gets what he wants?
How is this relevant to the thread? You seem to be personalizing the debate with off topics posts.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:42 AM   #17
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
How is this relevant to the thread? You seem to be personalizing the debate with off topics posts.
It is relevant to why I don't give a crap if that piece of **** dies. And I didn't personalize anything. That would be the poster I responded to.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:44 AM   #18
Argumemnon
World Maker

Oh, I don't know... maybe it encourages further violence, jeopardising your democracy until what's left is something far less desirable?

Argumemnon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:45 AM   #19
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
Oh, I don't know... maybe it encourages further violence, jeopardising your democracy until what's left is something far less desirable?
And if that doesn't happen?
Old 14th June 2017, 05:46 AM   #20
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

If the opportunity presented itself, and there was a guarantee of no personal reprecussions, would you kill a politician?
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:46 AM   #21
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

It is relevant to why I don't give a crap if that piece of **** dies. And I didn't personalize anything. That would be the poster I responded to.
The first reply in this thread is your personal feelings, which were not the topic. Now you're furthering this personal debate. It's like you set out to deliberately derail this thread and make it about you.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:47 AM   #22
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
The first reply in this thread is your personal feelings, which were not the topic. Now you're furthering this personal debate. It's like you set out to deliberately derail this thread and make it about you.
Yes, on a message board, one often shares one's personal feelings about an event/topic.

If that was a derail, you're contributing.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 14th June 2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:48 AM   #23
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Heh, fortunately, it's right on the avatar, so there should be less confusion. Republican or Democrat, Scalise was elected by the people to represent this country. An attack on any member of congress is an attack on our democracy and constitution.

Actually... he represents the Louisiana First, and has a tendency to cozy up to White Supremacists.
But I still wouldn't advocate a "2nd Amendment solution".

Dial it back a notch Tony... you're the flip side of Skeptic Tank's bigotry.

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:53 AM   #24
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

I made a dumb joke along similar lines about Trump just after the election that I regret.
Old 14th June 2017, 05:56 AM   #25
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

This is not how Republicans should be taken out. They should be eliminated from power politically, not with guns or violence.
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 05:57 AM   #26
quadraginta
Becoming Beth

Early reports are not always dependable.

I heard it was Congressmen practicing for an upcoming game.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:04 AM   #27
BStrong
Penultimate Amazing

I've been places where political differences were settled more often than not with gunfire.

I don't ever want that to become the norm here.

Wishing somebody ill will is fine. (My old man would say "I don't wish the man any ill will, I just wish a truck would run over his *********** head.")

Approval of a violent criminal act because you don't agree with the position/status/political persuasion isn't different in any significant fashion from what you've accused the republicans of believing.

"Dulce bellum inexpertīs." - Erasmus
BStrong is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:05 AM   #28
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

You're saying that Tony, our upstanding, intelligent and quality poster, has been wearing a mask this whole time that covers up the hate he has for republicans due to their policies, and is only now dropping that facade to show his true colors?

Really?

Old 14th June 2017, 06:05 AM   #29
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BStrong View Post
I've been places where political differences were settled more often than not with gunfire.

I don't ever want that to become the norm here.

Wishing somebody ill will is fine. (My old man would say "I don't wish the man any ill will, I just wish a truck would run over his *********** head.")

Approval of a violent criminal act because you don't agree with the position/status/political persuasion isn't different in any significant fashion from what you've accused the republicans of believing.
I didn't say that I condone shooting Steve Scalise.

I just don't care if he dies.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:05 AM   #30
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

This kind of rhetoric benefits absolutely no one. You are making things worse. Cut it out.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:07 AM   #31
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

But that is the entire point of the second amendment.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:09 AM   #32
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by I Am The Scum View Post
This kind of rhetoric benefits absolutely no one. You are making things worse. Cut it out.
I disagree. It has long been a philosophical question when someone is evil enough that their death is beneficial. Just because the situation is contemporary doesn't immunize us against that conversation.
BobTheCoward is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:09 AM   #33
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
And not caring if they kill thousands of americans a year is no big deal as long as they save some of them money. Costing american lives is politically not a big deal, costing americans money is totally beyond the pale.

Of course they are not members of the worthless classes who are supposed to be the ones dying so we are supposed to care if they die.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:11 AM   #34
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Argumemnon View Post
How dare you question the wisdom of our founders! Blood of patriots, tree of liberty and all that jazz!
Old 14th June 2017, 06:12 AM   #35
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Since this guy killed Republicans, will they call this a terrorist incident?
All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power & profit - Thomas Paine
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 06:13 AM   #36
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
But that is the entire point of the second amendment.
On the bright side, Islamic extremist terror could become less of a concern.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:15 AM   #37
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
Depends on the shooter. If he was shooting them because they were not racist and bigoted enough, then clearly it is just some loney. Because by their nature all terrorists are left wing.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:15 AM   #38
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Depends what working definition you select, matched for a desired utility.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:16 AM   #39
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
And not caring if they kill thousands of americans a year is no big deal as long as they save some of them money. Costing american lives is politically not a big deal, costing americans money is totally beyond the pale.

Of course they are not members of the worthless classes who are supposed to be the ones dying so we are supposed to care if they die.
..saving lives by involuntary taking from others. I'm fine if you want that but you have to state it.
Old 14th June 2017, 06:19 AM   #40
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Since this guy killed Republicans
Nobody is dead.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics