ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Hodgkinson , shooting incidents , Steve Scalise

Old 14th June 2017, 07:31 AM   #81
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
Gun ownership rates are lower for Democrats than Republicans. 22% vs 49%
Dems probably just won't admit that they own a gun...

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:32 AM   #82
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
What are the chances that the moron in charge uses this to whip up his armed base?
It would be used regardless of who was in office, though.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:35 AM   #83
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
It would be used regardless of who was in office, though.
No, I'm talking about the President of the United States flat out saying that "leftists" need to be attacked.

I'm obviously leaving room for his retarded interpretations of such, but I get the sense he'll say something extremely damaging to this country.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:36 AM   #84
Tony Stark
Suspended

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Its truly commical the ones who think they're the most tolerant are the ones who are intolerant, when will the left admit they have created this with their rhetoric? Sure they'll come on and say this is an awful act but they dont mean it, they'll go right back to fomenting these acts.
I don't pretend that I'm tolerant of worthless trash that want to cause the deaths of many Americans so rich people can get richer.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:36 AM   #85
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Its truly commical the ones who think they're the most tolerant are the ones who are intolerant, when will the left admit they have created this with their rhetoric? Sure they'll come on and say this is an awful act but they dont mean it, they'll go right back to fomenting these acts.
I'm intolerant of intolerance.

Since the vast majority of intolerance comes from the right, there you go.

Also - Duplicate thread. Expect a merge.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:37 AM   #86
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Degeneve View Post
I just Wonder whether this could lead Scalise to reconsider his position toward the second amendement and gun control.

Although the NRA money will most probably prevent him to think more than necessary...
I don't think republicans support for guns is because they like NRA money. I'm pretty sure it is because republicans just think guns are great.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:37 AM   #87
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

No, I'm talking about the President of the United States flat out saying that "leftists" need to be attacked.

I'm obviously leaving room for his retarded interpretations of such, but I get the sense he'll say something extremely damaging to this country.
Hopefully, someone with an actual brain will prevent the President from doing so.

That said, in the other thread on this topic, we have a poster who gleefully suggested shooting reporters (pajama men) now crying about evil leftists shooting politicians.

Hate abounds.

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:38 AM   #88
Stacko
Philosopher

Stacko has a birthday

He's done it before.

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Stacko is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:39 AM   #89
Tony Stark
Suspended

Thus far he has tweeted:
"Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, a true friend and patriot, was badly injured but will fully recover. Our thoughts and prayers are with him."

Nothing wrong with that. Though I doubt he was actually the one who tweeted it.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:41 AM   #90
I Am The Scum
Master Poster

Of course many are saying, "we don't know if this was a leftists" that's just more circling of the wagons. When will the left realize their rhetoric is why they have so many violent people on their side?
This is quite a lot of emotion coming from you. Ironically, this is what you accuse leftists of doing.

So let's put it to the test. As far as I'm aware, not even the name of the shooter has been released. Bring the facts. Show us how you can be so sure what this man's motives were.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:44 AM   #91
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Firstly, my wish of promp recovery to the stateman, and i would advise some member to re spect the life of GOPer. Respect is a two way road, if you think they are only worth to die, why should anybody pay attention to your opinion ?

Secondely i would advise strongly to wait before jumping to conclusion that this was a terrorist, a "leftist librul" or whatever. For all we know he was just hating baseball.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:45 AM   #92
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Thus far he has tweeted:
"Rep. Steve Scalise of Louisiana, a true friend and patriot, was badly injured but will fully recover. Our thoughts and prayers are with him."

Nothing wrong with that. Though I doubt he was actually the one who tweeted it.
Yea, there is practically zero chance he actually tweeted that.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:46 AM   #93
Argumemnon
World Maker

Its fascinating, you could count on one hand violence coming from the right.
At this point I think you're writing satire.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:49 AM   #94
Tony Stark
Suspended

Originally Posted by Aepervius View Post
Respect is a two way road, if you think they are only worth to die, why should anybody pay attention to your opinion ?
Exactly it is a two way street. So I will care about the lives of Republican scum as much as they do about the people they are supposed to serve.
Old 14th June 2017, 07:49 AM   #95
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I hate nuts of any stripe who feel empowered to kill by their singular mastery of "Big Truth." I hope all victims make a safe and speedy recovery.
Please use your own words for foundational concepts and main argument; I do not wish to debate a disjointed quote machine made of foreign parts that jerry-rig on command. I am happy, however, to debate an identifiable set of statements of your clear authorship that are intended to hold together.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:51 AM   #96
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
I hate nuts of any stripe who feel empowered to kill by their singular mastery of "Big Truth." I hope all victims make a safe and speedy recovery.
Yep that is why no one should regard Mandela as anything other than the violent thug he was. Man loved a good bombing campaign.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:52 AM   #97
Bogative
Muse

If they bring a baseball bat to the fight, we bring a gun.
Bogative is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 07:52 AM   #98
Tony Stark
Suspended

The police have released the name of the shooter:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.f27bc41a5ed8

It appears he is a Bernie fan who hates Trump:

https://www.facebook.com/jthodgkinson
Old 14th June 2017, 07:56 AM   #99
Tony Stark
Suspended

It appears that logger was correct and that the shooter is a leftist:

Old 14th June 2017, 07:57 AM   #100
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

"Attacked" is rather vague, though. I certainly wouldn't interpret it as "shot dead".

Old 14th June 2017, 07:58 AM   #101
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

It appears that logger was correct and that the shooter is a leftist:

So there's one.

Generally speaking, when I use the term "another" there's one before.
Old 14th June 2017, 08:01 AM   #102
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Bernie Sanders supporter, apparently.

From Illinois.

Long way to come to a baseball field where only Republicans were present.

Old 14th June 2017, 08:01 AM   #103
sts60
Master Poster

I've never pretended that I don't hate Republicans.

Why should I give a crap about his life when he doesn't give a crap about the many Americans that will die if he gets what he wants?
Because if it's not OK for him to be alright with people dying for lack of insurance, it's not OK to be alright with him dying because some dirtbag shot him and other people.

Because it's not OK for people to go around shooting our elected officials; it's an attack on our democracy.

Because you'd be disgusted if somebody said the same thing if it had been, say, Nancy Pelosi.

Or, from a purely transactional viewpoint: because you don't have to have sympathy for him, but you don't want to give people who think like him any talking points.

I don't like him, I want him out of Congress. I don't want or need physical harm to come to him, any more than I do to the aide who was shot or the two police officers who were shot.
sts60 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:02 AM   #104
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
If they bring a baseball bat to the fight, we bring a gun.
To be fair, the context of that mitigates it somewhat.

Old 14th June 2017, 08:04 AM   #105
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Yep that is why no one should regard Mandela as anything other than the violent thug he was. Man loved a good bombing campaign.
Irrespective of the particulars around Mandela, liberation movements under fascist regimes are a different kettle of fish--there is systemic violence from above as the status quo. Case by case on responses to it.
Please use your own words for foundational concepts and main argument; I do not wish to debate a disjointed quote machine made of foreign parts that jerry-rig on command. I am happy, however, to debate an identifiable set of statements of your clear authorship that are intended to hold together.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:06 AM   #106
phunk
Illuminator

But that is the entire point of the second amendment.
No, it's really not. The point of the second amendment was to make up for the fact that we had no army at the time.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:07 AM   #107
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by sts60 View Post
Because if it's not OK for him to be alright with people dying for lack of insurance, it's not OK to be alright with him dying because some dirtbag shot him and other people.
What about self defense, knowing that you would be in the tens of thousands who would die every year from the republican health care system changes?
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:08 AM   #108
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
No, it's really not. The point of the second amendment was to make up for the fact that we had no army at the time.
Tree of liberty, blood of patriots and all that jazz. The founders clearly intended far more regular civil wars than we have managed.
Old 14th June 2017, 08:11 AM   #109
phunk
Illuminator

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
I don't think republicans support for guns is because they like NRA money. I'm pretty sure it is because republicans just think guns are great.
I think it depends on whether you're talking about republican politicians, or republican voters.
phunk is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:13 AM   #110
Oystein
Penultimate Amazing

What about self defense, knowing that you would be in the tens of thousands who would die every year from the republican health care system changes?
Please shoot the Representative - State or Federal - nearest to you who has not within the last 20 years introduced or supported legislation to ban motor vehicles. It would be self defense against the thousands who would die every year from the continues legalization of cars and trucks.

[/caricature]
Old 14th June 2017, 08:16 AM   #111
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by phunk View Post
I think it depends on whether you're talking about republican politicians, or republican voters.
I say both. I don't think their gun votes are for sale.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:17 AM   #112
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Hlafordlaes View Post
Irrespective of the particulars around Mandela, liberation movements under fascist regimes are a different kettle of fish--there is systemic violence from above as the status quo. Case by case on responses to it.
The US is different how? I'm with Tony on this one. At the state and federal level every Republican office-holder is a violent thug.
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:33 AM   #113
Tony Stark
Suspended

GOP lawmaker links shooting to 'outrageous' Dem rhetoric

Quote:
"I can only hope that the Democrats do tone down the rhetoric," Collins told WBEN. "The rhetoric has been outrageous ... the finger-pointing, just the tone and the angst and the anger directed at Donald Trump, his supporters."
Screw that. How about Republicans stop being disgusting human trash.

Quote:
"Maybe this is a wake-up call. I'm not saying it will be," Collins continued. "But let's hope we could disagree on a more polite, conversational basis and not do things like what they did at my office a couple weeks ago."

Protesters held a "die-in" at Collins' office last week to protest the GOP efforts to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act. Collins said the move went "too far."
"I can only hope maybe there's something here that would say: Let's tone down the rhetoric. We can disagree politically but we can be polite," Collins said. "It's gone too far."
So we should be polite when discussing how you pieces of filth want people to die so rich can get richer. Go screw yourself.

Top comment for that article is:

Quote:
"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do, folks. Although the second amendment people, maybe there is, I don’t know. But I’ll tell you what, that will be a horrible day.”

-- Donald J, Trump, Aug 9th, 2016
I forgot about that.

Last edited by Tony Stark; 14th June 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 14th June 2017, 08:33 AM   #114
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

I don't really give a crap if Steve Scalise dies.

You built this
Old 14th June 2017, 08:34 AM   #115
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by applecorped View Post
You built this
Was it built on rock and roll?
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:39 AM   #116
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Was it built on rock and roll?
Glocks and polls
Old 14th June 2017, 08:42 AM   #117
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Perhaps if people weren't so divisive (as in the OP, for example) there'd be fewer who were divided.
Old 14th June 2017, 08:43 AM   #118
logger
Suspended

And of course the march towards more violence will continue as leftist continue to justify it!
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:44 AM   #119
Mumbles
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
Hopefully, someone with an actual brain will prevent the President from doing so.

That said, in the other thread on this topic, we have a poster who gleefully suggested shooting reporters (pajama men) now crying about evil leftists shooting politicians.

Hate abounds.
Preventing Don "Puffy" Combover from tweeting something stupid?

Having said that, the idea that political violence is unheard of in recent years is...pretty dodgy. We've seen violence at protests, including multiple shootings, antifa feuding with white supremacists, and a congressman tackling a reporter over a question. It seems a bit early to know the motivation behind this shooting, but if it is political, as revenge for their garbage health care law or some such, it wouldn't shock me too much.
Mumbles is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 08:44 AM   #120
Marcus
Master Poster

The police have released the name of the shooter:

It appears he is a Bernie fan who hates Trump:

"It's time to destroy Trump and company." That seems clear enough.

ETA: He has died from his injuries.

Last edited by Marcus; 14th June 2017 at 08:46 AM.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics