ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Hodgkinson , shooting incidents , Steve Scalise , violent rhetoric

Old 14th June 2017, 09:36 AM   #161
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
In other words, did you not notice that there is quite a bit of outrage on the left. Go to the thread. After Tony makes is comment, there is post after post criticizing Tony for making it. How can you not see that?
Fnords.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:37 AM   #162
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Oystein View Post
Please shoot the Representative - State or Federal - nearest to you who has not within the last 20 years introduced or supported legislation to ban motor vehicles. It would be self defense against the thousands who would die every year from the continues legalization of cars and trucks.

[/caricature]
Simply wrong. Lots of people can be sure that the policies being advanced by the republicans will kill them. A ban on cars you can say that it will kill you specifically. It is easy to find specific people who the republicans are voting to kill.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:40 AM   #163
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by Bogative View Post
Oh great! Like the Orlando nightclub shooting, the media may never be able to determine the motive.
Yes exactly one of those unexplained shootings like the planned parenthood one that cited republican presidential candidates talking point. That was a real mystery.
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:41 AM   #164
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

This guy wrote the "destroy Trump" line in March.

Did anyone report it? Was he investigated?

I would think that it was reported, given the atmosphere these days.

2 prints, same midtarsal crock..., I mean break?
LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:43 AM   #165
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post

It was a joke, like Trump's second amendment solutions one. Why make any big deal over it?
Old 14th June 2017, 09:44 AM   #166
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Maybe if the liberals would stop getting in the way of privatizing the Metaphorical Highway System, what currently passes for Respect could be improved with a toll road system, whereby private citizens and other interested parties could pay to maintain the Respect of their congressmen and representatives more directly.
Toll road money tends to get diverted to pet projects, even when they say it cannot be diverted.

LTC8K6 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:45 AM   #167
xjx388
Philosopher

This is just another indicator that both sides of the aisle have their problems. I'm with those who hope that one day, soon, we are all going to wake up and realize that very very few of us are scum who want other people to to die or thieves who want to take other people's money. We all have a common interest -what's the best way forward for our country- even if we disagree on the means to get there. There really and truly has been only one way forward and that's listening to each other and compromising.

It's too easy to just hate the other side. It takes real effort to admit that sometimes, the other side has a point that we hadn't considered. I hope we can all make that effort one day.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:45 AM   #168
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Why would it be investigated?

Trump needs to be destroyed.

I guess you can report me. But I would be shocked if the Secret Service investigates.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:45 AM   #169
logger
Suspended

I would guess there are so many it's difficult to keep up with it. Watch for Trump to be blamed. All the left can do is justify it.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:46 AM   #170
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Quoted for more proof.
And the first post after it began with "No. Really no." And you don't see it. And the idiotic post* that you quoted is "proof" of......what exactly?

*And yes, autumn, your post is idiotic.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:46 AM   #171
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
This is just another indicator that both sides of the aisle have their problems. I'm with those who hope that one day, soon, we are all going to wake up and realize that very very few of us are scum who want other people to to die or thieves who want to take other people's money. We all have a common interest -what's the best way forward for our country- even if we disagree on the means to get there. There really and truly has been only one way forward and that's listening to each other and compromising.

It's too easy to just hate the other side. It takes real effort to admit that sometimes, the other side has a point that we hadn't considered. I hope we can all make that effort one day.
You're wrong and don't understand what the left is.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:47 AM   #172
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
It was a joke, like Trump's second amendment solutions one. Why make any big deal over it?
Make a big deal?

Who said that?

Just take a look at the guy's activities and posting history and see if he might actually be a threat.

It never seems to take much, regarding the President, or other high public officials, to get a person in hot water.

Old 14th June 2017, 09:47 AM   #173
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Republicans in Congress are total scum. Proof: they are trying to take away healthcare away from tens of millions of Americans, killing many of them, so they can give tax cuts to rich people.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:49 AM   #174
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Why would it be investigated?

Trump needs to be destroyed.

I guess you can report me. But I would be shocked if the Secret Service investigates.
It's fine with me if you have that attitude.

Just don't act shocked when people get violent, on either side. Don't feel sorry. Don't say the victims didn't deserve it, etc.

Just act like it's normal.

When you are at a protest, and you get hit on the head with a bicycle lock, just pass it off as the price of admission.

Old 14th June 2017, 09:50 AM   #175
Tony Stark
Philosopher

It's fine with me if you have that attitude.

Just don't act shocked when people get violent, on either side. Don't feel sorry. Don't say the victims didn't deserve it, etc.

Just act like it's normal.

When you are at a protest, and you get hit on the head with a bicycle lock, just pass it off as the price of admission.
You didn't answer the question. Why would someone be invested for saying that Trump should be destroyed like I just did?
Old 14th June 2017, 09:50 AM   #176
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Make a big deal?

Who said that?

Just take a look at the guy's activities and posting history and see if he might actually be a threat.

It never seems to take much, regarding the President, or other high public officials, to get a person in hot water.
Did Ted "The Poacher" Nugent get in hot water over his comments? How about the gun range operators that offered Obama targets?

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:52 AM   #177
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

You didn't answer the question. Why would someone be invested for saying that Trump should be destroyed like I just did?
It's common to take such comments about high officials seriously enough to take a closer look, as far as I know.

That's if it is brought to their attention.

Old 14th June 2017, 09:52 AM   #178
xjx388
Philosopher

You're wrong and don't understand what the left is.
For the most part, they are people like you and me who just want to make things better. You and I may disagree with them on some fundamental issues but that doesn't make them bad people.

We are never going to get anywhere if we all keep dismissing the other side as evil scum. I'm am so *********** scared of what is happening in this country lately. . .it's like we've forgotten that we are really all on the same side and we see each other as enemy combatants on a battlefield. We obstruct each other at every turn. We attack each other instead of work together. It truly is sad.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:53 AM   #179
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Did Ted "The Poacher" Nugent get in hot water over his comments? How about the gun range operators that offered Obama targets?
No idea.

Never heard about either one.

I would not have been in favor of any such targets, though.

Old 14th June 2017, 09:55 AM   #180
Marcus
Master Poster

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
He is from Illinois. How did he find out that Republican Congressmen were having a baseball practice? How does he know what's going on other than seeing guys doing baseball practice things? Is this practice event publicly announced and so he travelled to kill during a practice?
According to the article logger just linked, his wife says he has been away for 2 months. Perhaps he had been hanging around looking for the right opportunity. Regardless, the guy didn't hate baseball, or desire to shoot just anyone, he was politically motivated. If he just wanted to shoot someone he could have stayed in Illinois.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 09:58 AM   #181
xjx388
Philosopher

Republicans in Congress are total scum. Proof: they are trying to take away healthcare away from tens of millions of Americans, killing many of them, so they can give tax cuts to rich people.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to dehumanize the enemy in order to attack them and discredit them.

I know, Tony, that you in your heart want the same things I do for the country. We may disagree on how to get there. But it's just too easy to tune you out and dismiss you when your arguments are nothing but ad hom attacks on your enemies. Republicans are not your enemies, Tony, even if it feels that way. Give it a rest already . . .
Old 14th June 2017, 09:59 AM   #182
logger
Suspended

You're justifying it again, what the right does isn't even close to what the left does.
Old 14th June 2017, 09:59 AM   #183
Tony Stark
Philosopher

What if he posted that he hates gays and gays should be "destroyed'?

Is that a hate crime?

I don't think so, but I think it would be taken seriously.

Is "destroyed' different in that context?
Nobody would do anything. People say crap like that all the time.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:00 AM   #184
I Am The Scum
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Did you not notice that the post you were replying to was a reference to a post aimed Tony Stark?

In other words, did you not notice that there is quite a bit of outrage on the left. Go to the thread. After Tony makes is comment, there is post after post criticizing Tony for making it. How can you not see that?

Don't answer that question out loud. I already know the answer. It's one of those questions for you to ponder until you understand it.

Your rhetoric and his are each parts of the problem.
You'll have to forgive Logger. His schedule is all tied up now that he is trying to pretend that violence is immoral. Between that, feigning disgust, and pointing the finger, he just doesn't have time to read the thread.
I Am The Scum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:01 AM   #185
logger
Suspended

For the most part, they are people like you and me who just want to make things better. You and I may disagree with them on some fundamental issues but that doesn't make them bad people.

We are never going to get anywhere if we all keep dismissing the other side as evil scum. I'm am so *********** scared of what is happening in this country lately. . .it's like we've forgotten that we are really all on the same side and we see each other as enemy combatants on a battlefield. We obstruct each other at every turn. We attack each other instead of work together. It truly is sad.
The problem is first at this point in history, the right by and large isn't capable of these things. When the right side wants to make government smaller, you're taking something away from others, they're pissed about it and have been for a long time.

What's changed is the right has been winning elections and again, they're pissed.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:01 AM   #186
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

No idea.

Never heard about either one.

I would not have been in favor of any such targets, though.
Not surprising. This sort of rhetoric has been going on forever. I didn't vote for Obama, but what truly surprised at the angry spittle directed his way after his first victory. Ordinary folks declaring he be shot. That was a new level for me.

Let's not forget the armed cowards that occupied the Malheur refuge; think about how badly that might have turned out. This isn't going to get any better, especially if the partisans turn this latest shooting into political fodder.

It's already begun, and it's disgusting.

Tom McGuane
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:02 AM   #187
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I know, Tony, that you in your heart want the same things I do for the country.
No, you don't know that. You hope and assume that. But it very well may not be true.

Quote:
Give it a rest already . . .
He won't.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:03 AM   #188
Tony Stark
Philosopher

This is exactly what I'm talking about. You have to dehumanize the enemy in order to attack them and discredit them.

I know, Tony, that you in your heart want the same things I do for the country. We may disagree on how to get there. But it's just too easy to tune you out and dismiss you when your arguments are nothing but ad hom attacks on your enemies. Republicans are not your enemies, Tony, even if it feels that way. Give it a rest already . . .
No they are my enemies. Enemies to the entire country in fact. Much more dangerous than ISIS.

Far more Americans will die if Republicans pass their evil healthcare bill than have ever died due to terrorism. And Republicans in Congress are totally cool with that because it means rich people will get tax cuts.

**** them, they can burn in hell for all I care (not that I believe in hell).
Old 14th June 2017, 10:03 AM   #189
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

You're justifying it again, what the right does isn't even close to what the left does.
Take off your partisan glasses. You sound like a twelve-year-old.

Tom McGuane
Old 14th June 2017, 10:03 AM   #190
Marcus
Master Poster

Not quite direct enough. If he said something like "I'm going to shoot the President" and it was reported, he would be investigated.
Marcus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:06 AM   #191
logger
Suspended

Not surprising. This sort of rhetoric has been going on forever. I didn't vote for Obama, but what truly surprised at the angry spittle directed his way after his first victory. Ordinary folks declaring he be shot. That was a new level for me.

Let's not forget the armed cowards that occupied the Malheur refuge; think about how badly that might have turned out. This isn't going to get any better, especially if the partisans turn this latest shooting into political fodder.

Obama? EVERYONE thought there would be much more personal attacks directed at him, there weren't. Soon as Trump gets in they're cutting his head off.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:06 AM   #192
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

No they are my enemies. Enemies to the entire country in fact. Much more dangerous than ISIS.

Far more Americans will die if Republicans pass their evil healthcare bill than have ever died due to terrorism. And Republicans in Congress are totally cool with that because it means rich people will get tax cuts.

**** them, they can burn in hell for all I care (not that I believe in hell).
There is a huge difference between taking action to cause people's deaths and simply not intervening in the life and death decisions of others.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:07 AM   #193
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

It's not going to get any better, imo.

Using or threatening violence to get your way is here to stay for a while.

Heck, it's practically celebrated these days.

Old 14th June 2017, 10:07 AM   #194
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

The right talks about "second amendment solutions." The left does not.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:07 AM   #195
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

I am totally with you in all cases of verbal hyperbole in response to policies and political decisions. Not so much when the original topic is a violent attack that could've ended lives.

One principle involved here is that learned from the Holocaust: no collective guilt. From the gulag: no guilt from ideas alone. From a long history of separation of church and state: ideas are free, behavior is always subject to the rule of civil law. It behooves us as atheists to have this set intact; it is what affords us strength against creeping theocracy, and some laws and court rulings have recently been placing the rule of law under that of religion. Uh-oh, now that's the scrap we need be up to the elbows in, so best be "armed" (with reasons) and ready (except when I need my nap)!
Old 14th June 2017, 10:08 AM   #196
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
There is a huge difference between taking action to cause people's deaths and simply not intervening in the life and death decisions of others.
Yes and Republicans are taking action that will cause many people's deaths if they are successful. Because they want rich people to get richer.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say they are the biggest threat that exists to the American people.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:08 AM   #197
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

To a huge extent, this is the bed the GOP has made and now doesn't want to lie in. Consider their current rampage to undo everything Obama did, for no other reason than he did it. Whatever words you think are most appropriate to their conduct over the past decade, "egalitarian" and "compromising" are not among them.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:09 AM   #198
carlitos
"más divertido"

How are your examples coming along? I look forward to your lists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlitos is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:09 AM   #199
LTC8K6
Penultimate Amazing

Obama? EVERYONE thought there would be much more personal attacks directed at him, there weren't. Soon as Trump gets in they're cutting his head off.
Well, "Obama" was Caesar in several plays.

I don't think anyone objected to him being killed in the play.

Old 14th June 2017, 10:10 AM   #200
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Obama? EVERYONE thought there would be much more personal attacks directed at him, there weren't.
Take off your partisan glasses. You sound like a twelve-year-old mouthing what you heard on Limbaugh or Hannity.

Tom McGuane

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics