ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags James Hodgkinson , shooting incidents , Steve Scalise , violent rhetoric

Old 14th June 2017, 10:10 AM   #201
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by logger View Post
Obama? EVERYONE thought there would be much more personal attacks directed at him, there weren't.
You must be joking.

Quote:
Soon as Trump gets in they're cutting his head off.
Unlike Obama, Trump is a total piece of trash. Even by Republican standards.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:11 AM   #202
The Central Scrutinizer
Penultimate Amazing

This ungrateful gun nut was shooting at the very people who so enthusiastically allowed him to own his gun. I wonder if the targets appreciate the irony?

Lupus is Lupus tor central scrutineezer
The Central Scrutinizer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:12 AM   #203
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
Yes and Republicans are taking action that will cause many people's deaths if they are successful. Because they want rich people to get richer.

I'm not being hyperbolic when I say they are the biggest threat that exists to the American people.
Depends on how define "threat."

Quote:
a statement of an intention to inflict pain, injury, damage, or other hostile action on someone in retribution for something done or not done.
"members of her family have received death threats"
synonyms: threatening remark, warning, ultimatum
"Maggie ignored his threats"

Law
a menace of bodily harm, such as may restrain a person's freedom of action.

a person or thing likely to cause damage or danger.
"hurricane damage poses a major threat to many coastal communities"
Removing health care subsidies and the like (I won't apply this to every provision, obviously) does not inflict damage.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:12 AM   #204
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
The right talks about "second amendment solutions." The left does not.
Lol
The second amendment isn't about duck hunting. This on the other hand is just another pissed off leftist. Are you saying the left might take up arms to gain more government?

We've truly jumped the shark if that's what you're saying.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:13 AM   #205
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
For the most part, they are people like you and me who just want to make things better. You and I may disagree with them on some fundamental issues but that doesn't make them bad people.

We are never going to get anywhere if we all keep dismissing the other side as evil scum. I'm am so *********** scared of what is happening in this country lately. . .it's like we've forgotten that we are really all on the same side and we see each other as enemy combatants on a battlefield. We obstruct each other at every turn. We attack each other instead of work together. It truly is sad.
Yeah, and who started that. Republicans. And then they made Donald freaking Trump the President of the United States.

**** the GOP.
Tony Stark is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:13 AM   #206
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
Take off your partisan glasses. You sound like a twelve-year-old mouthing what you heard on Limbaugh or Hannity.
Surprise, another personal attack.
logger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:14 AM   #207
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Depends on how define "threat."

Removing health care subsidies and the like (I won't apply this to every provision, obviously) does not inflict damage.
Of course it does. Many people will die as a result. Far more than have ever died due to terrorism.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:15 AM   #208
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF

Originally Posted by xjx388 View Post
For the most part, they are people like you and me who just want to make things better. You and I may disagree with them on some fundamental issues but that doesn't make them bad people.

We are never going to get anywhere if we all keep dismissing the other side as evil scum. I'm am so *********** scared of what is happening in this country lately. . .it's like we've forgotten that we are really all on the same side and we see each other as enemy combatants on a battlefield. We obstruct each other at every turn. We attack each other instead of work together. It truly is sad.
That's pretty much how I feel. I may not like the current administration much, but I don't want anything to happen to them! Everything is cyclical anyways. The tide will turn, the Democrats will be elected, they'll do something stupid, and then the Republicans will take over again...

The country is a lot harder to damage via politics. I'm not really worried. If you really want to enact change? Write your representative! Go out and vote, damnit!

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:16 AM   #209
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Lol
The second amendment isn't about duck hunting. This on the other hand is just another pissed off leftist. Are you saying the left might take up arms to gain more government?

We've truly jumped the shark if that's what you're saying.
I am saying in the US violent overthrow as a solution talk is built into republican rhetoric. They discuss if Obama went too far there could be a second amendment solution.

In the US, Democrats do not have violent overthrow rhetoric built in the same way. For Trump, we see a lot of 25th amendment solution talk.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:16 AM   #210
logger
Suspended

Yeah, and who started that. Republicans. And then they made Donald freaking Trump the President of the United States.

**** the GOP.
contrast our toleration of Clinton and Obama with the lefts toleration of Bush and Trump. this is clearly a problem on the left and as they suffer more defeat it will only get worse. Republicans, independents and libertarians had better recognize what is coming.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:17 AM   #211
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Of course it does. Many people will die as a result. Far more than have ever died due to terrorism.
But they are not having it inflicted upon them. That is my point. They are losing access to something they did not have ownership over. That is not inflicting.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:17 AM   #212
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Surprise, another personal attack.
It's not an attack. It's an observation concerning your tone and level of discourse. In the past, I've seen posts of yours were very nearly literal parroting of the media types you seem to admire.

Tom McGuane

Last edited by Resume; 14th June 2017 at 10:18 AM.
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:18 AM   #213
logger
Suspended

Originally Posted by LTC8K6 View Post
Well, "Obama" was Caesar in several plays.

I don't think anyone objected to him being killed in the play.
Remember what they did to that clown wearing an Obama mask?
Old 14th June 2017, 10:18 AM   #214
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

contrast our toleration of Clinton and Obama with the lefts toleration of Bush and Trump. this is clearly a problem on the left and as they suffer more defeat it will only get worse. Republicans, independents and libertarians had better recognize what is coming.
I did. It is far worse on the right. As a libertarian, I have no fear from what Democrats will do. I am more worried about right wing extremist groups in this country.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:18 AM   #215
Tony Stark
Philosopher

contrast our toleration of Clinton and Obama
lol you must be kidding

Quote:
with the lefts toleration of Bush and Trump this is clearly a problem on the left and as they suffer more defeat it will only get worse. Republicans, independents and libertarians had better recognize what is coming.
Trump is the most unfit person to ever be elected president. By far. So they left is right to hate him. Well I guess most of the country is left given his terrible approval ratings.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:19 AM   #216
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
That's pretty much how I feel. I may not like the current administration much, but I don't want anything to happen to them! Everything is cyclical anyways. The tide will turn, the Democrats will be elected, they'll do something stupid, and then the Republicans will take over again...

The country is a lot harder to damage via politics. I'm not really worried. If you really want to enact change? Write your representative! Go out and vote, damnit!
I'd be there with you if I could be convinced that Trump really doesn't have the power to launch nuclear weapons if he felt like it.

As it stands, I've got zero faith in these checks and balances that we were all told we have.

If I could be convinced that the country isn't in imminent danger, and by extension the entire world, I could get to the business of pointing and laughing at the moron in charge. Till then, I'm fine with removing Trump any way humanly possible.

Clearly this sort of thing would be a last resort, to be used only in case of emergency like a full-blown psychopathic meltdown.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:19 AM   #217
carlvs
Critical Thinker

Obama? EVERYONE thought there would be much more personal attacks directed at him, there weren't...
Warning: Possible NSFW
REALLY?!?!
carlvs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:19 AM   #218
logger
Suspended

It's not an attack. It's an observation concerning your tone and level of discourse. In the past, I've seen posts of yours were very nearly literally parroting of the media types you seem to admire.
Well I've noted before Limbaugh seems to agree with me a lot. So what, I don't call you a twelve year old for some of your posts I disagree with, it's a personal attack.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:19 AM   #219
Tony Stark
Philosopher

But they are not having it inflicted upon them. That is my point. They are losing access to something they did not have ownership over. That is not inflicting.
They are losing something they currently have due to the actions of Republicans (assuming they are successful).
Old 14th June 2017, 10:21 AM   #220
logger
Suspended

I did. It is far worse on the right. As a libertarian, I have no fear from what Democrats will do. I am more worried about right wing extremist groups in this country.
You must be very disappointed that the right wing extremists have never shown up, all we get is these pissed off people on the left.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:22 AM   #221
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

They are losing something they currently have due to the actions of Republicans (assuming they are successful).
It is not something they have. It is something periodically paid for by the charity or self interest of others. They don't have it, which is why they must be provided with it. But it never becomes "theirs."
Old 14th June 2017, 10:22 AM   #222
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Uh, I swear I said something about us as a country having more that unites us than things that divide us. Someone took exception to that. Can't quite remember who it was....
Old 14th June 2017, 10:22 AM   #223
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Negligence vs malignancy. A distinction without a difference when applied to a ruling body customarily held responsible for ensuring the prosperity of its constituent citizens.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:23 AM   #224
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

You must be very disappointed that the right wing extremists have never shown up, all we get is these pissed off people on the left.
The bundy ranch, Malheur, that guy who attacked planned parenthood, etc.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:23 AM   #225
logger
Suspended

The problem is first at this point in history, the right by and large isn't capable of these things. When the right side wants to make government smaller, you're taking something away from others, they're pissed about it and have been for a long time.

What's changed is the right has been winning elections and again, they're pissed.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:24 AM   #226
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by NoahFence View Post
Uh, I swear I said something about us as a country having more that unites us than things that divide us. Someone took exception to that. Can't quite remember who it was....
And logger, you, and I are not united on almost anything.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:24 AM   #227
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Well I've noted before Limbaugh seems to agree with me a lot. So what, I don't call you a twelve year old for some of your posts I disagree with, it's a personal attack.
Okay, let me put it this way Your observations are very unsophisticated.

Tom McGuane
Resume is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:24 AM   #228
logger
Suspended

The bundy ranch, Malheur, that guy who attacked planned parenthood, etc.
Yes you can count them on one hand. Don't forget all the rallies leftists have shown up to. Even the giffords shooting was a pissed off leftist.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:25 AM   #229
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Negligence vs malignancy. A distinction without a difference when applied to a ruling body customarily held responsible for ensuring the prosperity of its constituent citizens.
The essential distinction we should judge government action by.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:25 AM   #230
Tony Stark
Philosopher

It is not something they have. It is something periodically paid for by the charity or self interest of others. They don't have it, which is why they must be provided with it. But it never becomes "theirs."
They currently have it. Because it is the law. Republicans are trying to undo that because they think rich people having as much money as possible is more important than poor people having healthcare.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:25 AM   #231
logger
Suspended

Okay, let me put it this way Your observations are very unsophisticated.
Another personal attack. All you have to do is not make it about me. I could say the same thing about yours, but I choose not to.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:27 AM   #232
Tony Stark
Philosopher

Yes you can count them on one hand. Don't forget all the rallies leftists have shown up to. Even the giffords shooting was a pissed off leftist.
Now you're just spewing outright lies.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:27 AM   #233
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

The essential distinction we should judge government action by.
Your ideal goverment, perhaps. My ideal government, hell no. Social Darwinism is tantamount to sanctioned murder, no matter what you dress it up in.
Beelzebuddy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 14th June 2017, 10:27 AM   #234
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

I live in Arizona. You cannot claim the giffords shooting was political. That poor man was truly insane. We often misuse that phrase to describe attackers as short hand for perverted values. That was not this situation. He truly lost the ability to distinguish right from wrong.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:28 AM   #235
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Another personal attack. All you have to do is not make it about me. I could say the same thing about yours, but I choose not to.
It's an factual observation. As when I recognize your arguments as mere parroting of the media you consume. Word for word in many cases. It takes no sophistication to type out a comment you just overheard on the TV or radio.

Tom McGuane
Old 14th June 2017, 10:29 AM   #236
BobTheCoward
Philosopher

They currently have it. Because it is the law. Republicans are trying to undo that because they think rich people having as much money as possible is more important than poor people having healthcare.
No, they don't have anything. They receive something (subsidies) periodically that are then spent and go away. Future subsidies are not owned by them (like a stock owns future dividends).
Old 14th June 2017, 10:30 AM   #237
Tony Stark
Philosopher

I live in Arizona. You cannot claim the giffords shooting was political. That poor man was truly insane. We often misuse that phrase to describe attackers as short hand for perverted values. That was not this situation. He truly lost the ability to distinguish right from wrong.
I live in her district. You are of course correct.
Old 14th June 2017, 10:31 AM   #238
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
According to the article logger just linked, his wife says he has been away for 2 months. Perhaps he had been hanging around looking for the right opportunity. Regardless, the guy didn't hate baseball, or desire to shoot just anyone, he was politically motivated. If he just wanted to shoot someone he could have stayed in Illinois.
She is going to be investigated as routine police work. "Honey, I'm going to Washington and I'm bringing my rifle."
Old 14th June 2017, 10:31 AM   #239
applecorped
Rotten to the Core

**** the GOP.
Kill?
Old 14th June 2017, 10:32 AM   #240
Tony Stark
Philosopher

No, they don't have anything. They receive something (subsidies) periodically that are then spent and go away. Future subsidies are not owned by them (like a stock owns future dividends).
This is really just semantics.

They get it because the law says they do. And will continue to unless positive action is taken to change the law.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics