ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th June 2017, 05:32 PM   #1
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Another van attack in London

Not far from where I live.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7796551.html

Just what we don't need.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Matthew Best
Philosopher

https://twitter.com/Known_As_H/statu...84605276676097
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 05:52 PM   #3
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Is there any reason why Britain ? Besides the usual meme infection ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:15 PM   #4
Fudbucker
Philosopher

Obviously the work of Basque separatists.
Fudbucker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:17 PM   #5
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

It's only a couple of miles from me. Police are reportedly giving CPR to a couple of guys on the ground with cardiac arrest.

Tommy Robinson of English Defence League has been gloating about it (extreme right).

Violence breeds violence. Hate is not the answer.

- Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim
Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:22 PM   #6
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
In Britain, right .. seems like it happened in front of mosque ?
Dr.Sid is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:24 PM   #7
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Dr.Sid View Post
Yeah, it's a hired white van. Armed police everywhere.

Seems planned. The guys were coming out of a mosque after Ramadan prayers.

Vixen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:26 PM   #8
Vixen
Penultimate Amazing

Note the change of language. Not 'run over', but 'collided with' pedestrians.

Old 18th June 2017, 06:38 PM   #9
newyorkguy
Philosopher

Still being sorted out apparently. This is from the Telegraph:
Quote:
A van has reportedly crashed into pedestrians outside a mosque in London, causing a "number of casualties". Officers arrested one person after they were called shortly after midnight to the incident on Seven Sisters Road, near Finsbury Park station.

Witnesses reported seeing six people on the ground after the van ploughed into worshippers who had been attending evening prayers at the Muslim Welfare House. Eyewitnesses reported seeing bystanders wrestle the suspect to the ground and pin him down until officers arrived. One eyewitness speaking to LBC said the van had hit people on the pavement, but had not collided with a building. "It looked like he had lost control of the van or something," he said. Link
newyorkguy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:39 PM   #10
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

British policy, perhaps?
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:40 PM   #11
Meadmaker
Penultimate Amazing

Lunatic Muslim attacking the "wrong kind" of Muslim, or lunatic ethnic Anglo getting payback on Muslims?

We can be fairly certain of the "lunatic" part. I'm not sure the rest matters.

ETA: It was after midnight. For all we know it was just a drunk driver or someone who fell asleep at the wheel......but my money would be on lunatic.

Last edited by Meadmaker; 18th June 2017 at 06:41 PM.
Meadmaker is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:41 PM   #12
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Meadmaker View Post
Lunatic Muslim attacking the "wrong kind" of Muslim, or lunatic ethnic Anglo getting payback on Muslims?

We can be fairly certain of the "lunatic" part. I'm not sure the rest matters.
I don't think we can be certain of the 'lunatic" part.

Is every soldier insane? Is all warfare madness?

Last edited by theprestige; 18th June 2017 at 06:42 PM.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Dr.Sid
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post

To some extent. Suicide attack aimed at civilians certainly contains a lot of madness, and it takes lot of 'processing' and possibly even a predisposition.
This was not suicide attack, still I don't see how mentally healthy soldier of typical western country would execute order to 'hire a van and run it into a crowd outside mosque'.
I mean I agree it's a war, and that the attacker might have been soldier .. but they pick people quite on the mad side for jobs like that.
The way reporters are having troubles finding words on the live video feed I guess the attacker was non-muslim. At least so far doesn't seem like anyone died. Let's hope it stays that way.
Old 18th June 2017, 07:00 PM   #14
mgidm86
Illuminator

Warfare, fighting and killing are part of what make us human. Lunatic need not apply.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:01 PM   #15
Hercules56
Graduate Poster

The terrorists have gotten clever.

Basically anyone can rent a truck or van.

Crash it into a big crowd and you can do a lot of damage.
Hercules56 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:08 PM   #16
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

What worries me most here is the backlash against White racists.

At a time like this, we all need to stand in solidarity with White racists and make it clear that we won't tolerate them being targeted.

#NoAnglophobia
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Reality is going to force you to become me.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:10 PM   #17
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Hercules56 View Post
The terrorists have gotten clever.

Basically anyone can rent a truck or van.

Crash it into a big crowd and you can do a lot of damage.
Oh, you can do more then that.
Remember Tim McVeigh..and you can buy the ingrediants for that kind of bomb in any country on earth...they are common chemical supplies,almost impossible to control.
If you don't have to worry about getting into a compact size, a bomb is fairly easy to make.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:15 PM   #18
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

We have none of the important facts yet so I am not going to make any assumptions. However I am very curious how this, if deliberate, will play out in the media and among politicians, and even here at ISF, compared to prior vans attacks.
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:41 PM   #19
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Tank View Post

At a time like this, we all need to stand in solidarity with White racists and make it clear that we won't tolerate them being targeted.

#NoAnglophobia
Shouldn't that be Caucaphobia?
casebro is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 07:43 PM   #20
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Demographics for one.

In London 1 person in 8 is Muslim (12.4%). In Manchester Muslims make up about 8.7% of the population. For all of England (not the UK) the number is just over 5%.

Compare that with the US where New York, which has the largest lslamic population in the US, has just 3% Muslims and Los Angles (the 3rd largest population) less that one percent. Even Statewise, Illinois with just 2.8% has the highest percentage of Muslims. In fact in the US, only one city actually stands out, Dearborn, Michigan whose population is just under 1/3 Arab.

A second major issue is Proximity.

The US is insulated from the Middle East crisis by distance, but London is actually closer to Damascus than New York is to Los Angeles, and far closer than it (London) is to New York.

With it almost being in their Backyard, the things going on in Syria and the Middle East are more real to the Islamic Population in Europe and the UK, whereas to most American born Muslims, it's something they only see on TV and the internets without any real connection.

History

The US is a new comer to the Middle East. Europe has been meddling there for well over two and a half thousand years with the Greeks, the Romans, the Crusaders, The Palestinian Protectorate, the actions of the Allies in WW1 in breaking up the Ottoman Empire, the actions after WW2 against Egypt and backing Israel and so on. Along with the Islam invasions of Europe, it has left a lot of bad blood that doesn't take much to have people recalling the ideas of conquerors and invasions.

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)
My Apollo Page.

Last edited by PhantomWolf; 18th June 2017 at 07:44 PM.
PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 08:05 PM   #21
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Don't go lumping professional soldiers with these lunatics.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 08:09 PM   #22
Mikemcc
Graduate Poster

Given the very limited information at the moment. I believe that this is down to a lone-wolf right winger (we have plenty of choices from the right wing groups). He just seems to using the same terror tactics.
Mikemcc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 08:10 PM   #23
Noztradamus
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Fudbucker View Post
rDidn' you read? Turkish Kurds from Van
Old 18th June 2017, 08:44 PM   #24
NoahFence
Psycho Kitty

Grrrr
This is dumb
Old 18th June 2017, 09:16 PM   #25
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

BBC saying driver shouting "kill all Muslims". And down the rabbit hole we go.
For if a man pretend to me that God hath spoken to him supernaturally, and immediately, and I make doubt of it, I cannot easily perceive what argument he can produce to oblige me to believe it. Hobbes
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 09:30 PM   #26
Skeptic Tank
Trigger Warning

Whites having enough of a growing Muslim invasive group they've never approved of importing? Whites having enough of more and more attacks on their people by said group, including children being blown up and run over in Nice, Berlin, London, Manchester, Stockholm?

Oh, imagine my shock!

It's so precious when people on this forum talk about this like it's some sort of surprising or disheartening development. NOTHING could have been more predictable than this and it is precisely your worldview (open borders, multiculturalism, refugees welcome, nationalism is bad and a thing of the past, etc.) which ensured this outcome.

This is going to get so very much worse. This blood and the blood from the previous attacks and all the oceans of blood yet to come in this century throughout Europe (and elsewhere) are all squarely on the hands of "progressives."

When you pretend human nature isn't real and/or that you've successfully figured out how to overturn it, or relegate it to the dusty pages of history - and then you build a social model and an immigration model on that erroneous foundation, human nature has a way of reminding you just how real it is.
"Nothing is more certainly written in the book of fate than that these people are to be free. Nor is it less certain that the two races, equally free, cannot live in the same government. Nature, habit, opinion has drawn indelible lines of distinction between them." - Thomas Jefferson
Reality is going to force you to become me.

Last edited by Skeptic Tank; 18th June 2017 at 09:32 PM.
Skeptic Tank is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 10:31 PM   #27
CaptainHowdy
Muse

#NoAnglophobia
Amen brother.
CaptainHowdy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 10:31 PM   #28
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Mikemcc View Post
Don't go lumping professional soldiers with these lunatics.
Professional soldiers? You mean mercenaries? No, I'm talking about men and women who fight for a cause.
Old 18th June 2017, 10:48 PM   #29
Giordano
Penultimate Amazing

Professional soldiers? You mean mercenaries? No, I'm talking about men and women who fight for a cause.
Does the cause matter?
Giordano is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 11:03 PM   #30
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
Oh, you can do more then that.
Remember Tim McVeigh..and you can buy the ingrediants for that kind of bomb in any country on earth...they are common chemical supplies,almost impossible to control.
Counter-terrorism forces know this and watches carefully. If you buy a bulk of nitrate fertilizer be sure you'll be getting a few visits (and maybe a probe or two) soon.

I hope the attack is not connected to terrorism but rather an accident

McHrozni
Old 18th June 2017, 11:03 PM   #31
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

To some extent yes. War is the breakdown of rational conversation.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 11:15 PM   #32
Aepervius
Non credunt, semper verificare

Originally Posted by a_unique_person View Post
BBC saying driver shouting "kill all Muslims". And down the rabbit hole we go.
But not exactely surprising. There are far too many racist bigotted ******** seeing any and all muslim as enemy. There is bound to be less stable among the septic hole which will act upon it, especially if the politician and media (e g sun and daily fail - pun intended) pour gasoline on it. Add to it racist were enboldened by brexit...

Anyway let us hope the eirütness was mistaken and this was an accident rather than the senseless killing of innocent.

If it turns out to be intentional, the responsible is as bad as your random suicide bonber.
Aepervius is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 11:27 PM   #33
MikeG
Now. Do it now.

Whites having enough of a growing Muslim invasive group they've never approved of importing? Whites having enough of more and more attacks on their people by said group, including children being blown up and run over in Nice, Berlin, London, Manchester, Stockholm?

Oh, imagine my shock!.........
You know this for a fact?
The Conservatives want to keep wogs out and march boldly back to the 1950s when Britain still had an Empire and blacks, women, poofs and Irish knew their place. The Don That's what we've sunk to here.
MikeG is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 11:27 PM   #34
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

There are no soldiers or war involved.
Old 18th June 2017, 11:28 PM   #35
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Oh, imagine my shock!

It's so precious when people on this forum talk about this like it's some sort of surprising or disheartening development. NOTHING could have been more predictable than this and it is precisely your worldview (open borders, multiculturalism, refugees welcome, nationalism is bad and a thing of the past, etc.) which ensured this outcome.

This is going to get so very much worse. This blood and the blood from the previous attacks and all the oceans of blood yet to come in this century throughout Europe (and elsewhere) are all squarely on the hands of "progressives."

When you pretend human nature isn't real and/or that you've successfully figured out how to overturn it, or relegate it to the dusty pages of history - and then you build a social model and an immigration model on that erroneous foundation, human nature has a way of reminding you just how real it is.
Save it for you Daily Stormer chums.
Old 18th June 2017, 11:52 PM   #36
ddt
Mafia Penguin

Originally Posted by McHrozni View Post
Counter-terrorism forces know this and watches carefully. If you buy a bulk of nitrate fertilizer be sure you'll be getting a few visits (and maybe a probe or two) soon.

I hope the attack is not connected to terrorism but rather an accident

McHrozni
In the Netherlands, we actually had such an accident a week ago, Saturday 10 June. A car crashed into eight people in front of Amsterdam Central Station. The driver was detained by the police and only released on Tuesday when they were 100% satisfied that he was not a terrorist, but that it was due to medical reasons. The man was diabetic and probably suffered from a hypo.

(BTW, no one was killed, two people were hospitalized).

"I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people." - "Saint" Teresa, the lying thieving Albanian dwarf
ddt is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th June 2017, 11:58 PM   #37
McHrozni
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by ddt View Post
In the Netherlands, we actually had such an accident a week ago, Saturday 10 June. A car crashed into eight people in front of Amsterdam Central Station. The driver was detained by the police and only released on Tuesday when they were 100% satisfied that he was not a terrorist, but that it was due to medical reasons. The man was diabetic and probably suffered from a hypo.

(BTW, no one was killed, two people were hospitalized).
Yeah I remember that one. It was suspected terrorist attack too, but the police didn't call it as such immediately and later released a statement it wasn't a terrorist attack and so on.

By contrast, this attack was declared to be an act of Islamophobia almost immediately. It could be the reports were true, but it seems like the standard for evidence is quite a bit more lenient for that.

McHrozni
Old 19th June 2017, 12:21 AM   #38
RussDill
Philosopher

True, terrorism is the method those against open borders, multiculturalism, etc, use to get their way. Fear is a very strong motivator and in democracies, the reaction to terrorism is very often the one intended, the election of xenophobes that will close borders.
And lines to code before I sleep
RussDill is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th June 2017, 01:21 AM   #39
Eddie Dane
Philosopher

If this was a deliberate attack, we should be happy that it was done so clumsily (most are actually).

If you look at the footage of the VBIEDs (car bombs they drive into enemy positions), you see these are as effective as a large cruise missile. And it's mostly a family car with drums full of fertiliser and a failed gangster rapper from Germany behind the wheel.

The plans for those things are probably available on the net and I'm surprised we haven't seen much worse.

On top of that, consider that White Nationalists can read too, and all those terror manuals make lovely study material for Neo-Nazis.

Some years from now we may look back fondly at the time of car rammings and kitchen knives.
Old 19th June 2017, 01:44 AM   #40
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Deputy Admin

#NoAnglophobia
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events