IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 22nd February 2021, 04:32 PM   #2001
wasapi
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
Jr is an idiot simply using his position to bitch to the people he blames and the ones he thinks actually agree with what he says.
This! I watched part of Juniors ranting, and it is hard to imagine anyone so out of touch with reality.

I don't have a link, but I recall another example of his delusions. As to his father being charged with sexual assault, Junior says it is ridiculous because it was the other way around. He claimed that his father was the victim, as he was always having women throwing themselves at him with unwanted sexual advances.

If possible, I believe junior is more stupid then his dear-old daddy
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:44 PM   #2002
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
I was just about to post something very much along these lines!
But of course we knew it would work this way. That's what happens when you avoid any real investigation for 4 years and then that Executive privilege disappears.

Trump released a statement about today's Supreme Court ruling whining that this was just political partisanship. Never mind that all three of his judicial appointments ruled against him. Never mind that EVERY single time this case appeared in Court Trump lost. Trump managed to delay this ruling for almost 18 months by appeal after appeal after appeal. SCOTUS itself sat on this for 8 months. Never mind there was never any actual legal questions to be resolved.

What's been wrong about this case has been the delays. By not wanting to do anything politically, SCOTUS acted politically by doing nothing.
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:02 PM   #2003
dudalb
Penultimate Amazing

And in related news, Lindall of My Pillow is being sued by Dominion over a "documentary" series he produced that openly and bluntly accused Dominion of being behind the "election fraud".
Huge mistake.Most of the Trumpers have been careful to avoid directly accuisng Dominion of being in on the conspiracy, just suggesthing their machines were easy to hack. THat leaves them wriggle room in court. Londall does'nt have much wriggle room with his blunt accusation. This might cost him a lot of money.

Robert Heinlein.
dudalb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:09 PM   #2004
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Hopefully.
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:22 PM   #2005
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Kind of amazing how we can't stop talking about the Cheeto.

If you looked at the activity of the Trump Presidency thread compared to the Biden thread, you would think Trump won the election.
I knew when I started that Biden thread that it would get a lot less movement than this one ever did. I hardly even check in on it myself. But this one is much more fun to read. Especially now. But that fun will soon be migrating to the Criminal Charges Against Trump thread.
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:25 PM   #2006
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Kind of amazing how we can't stop talking about the Cheeto.

If you looked at the activity of the Trump Presidency thread compared to the Biden thread, you would think Trump won the election.
Dumpster fires are hard to stop watching.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:27 PM   #2007
thaiboxerken
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by dudalb View Post
And in related news, Lindall of My Pillow is being sued by Dominion over a "documentary" series he produced that openly and bluntly accused Dominion of being behind the "election fraud".
Huge mistake.Most of the Trumpers have been careful to avoid directly accuisng Dominion of being in on the conspiracy, just suggesthing their machines were easy to hack. THat leaves them wriggle room in court. Londall does'nt have much wriggle room with his blunt accusation. This might cost him a lot of money.
The guy is delusional. He has stated that he welcomes the lawsuit because he has all the evidence.
1. He'd never do that. 2. Okay but he's not currently doing it. 3. Okay but he's not currently technically doing it. 4. Okay but everyone does it. 5. He's doing it, we can't stop him, no point in complaining about it. 6. We all knew he was going to do it which... makes it okay somehow. 7. It's perfectly fine that's he's doing it.
thaiboxerken is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:39 PM   #2008
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by thaiboxerken View Post
The guy is delusional. He has stated that he welcomes the lawsuit because he has all the evidence.
He'll be keen to get the case into court, then, so soon we'll at last get to see what the evidence is.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:00 PM   #2009
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
I knew when I started that Biden thread that it would get a lot less movement than this one ever did. I hardly even check in on it myself. But this one is much more fun to read. Especially now. But that fun will soon be migrating to the Criminal Charges Against Trump thread.
Well, he's failed to prevent his tax records from being handed over to prosecutors. Are they going to get him the same way they got Al Capone? That would be appropriate.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:09 PM   #2010
sackett
Philosopher

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Well, he's failed to prevent his tax records from being handed over to prosecutors. Are they going to get him the same way they got Al Capone? That would be appropriate.
There we differ. The parallels with Snorky Capone are not very close. He provided liquor and drugs, gambling and prostitutes, and, importantly, jobs and a market for small producers.(His buyers operated as far away as Rock Springs, Wyoming!) Also, he lived unpretentiously, keeping up a modest front as a dealer in used furniture.

And: When Scarface spoke, people listened!

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:10 PM   #2011
Resume
Troublesome Passenger

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I want to see him dragged off after conviction screaming "You're nothin' but a lottta talk and a badge . . . you're justa lotta talk and a badge!
Resume is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:30 PM   #2012
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
Seems to me Trump Jr. is feeling out for a path to public office. He's been releasing a videos of himself to social media coked out of his mind and rambling about this and that right wing nonsense of the day.
Where do you view these?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:36 PM   #2013
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Resume View Post
I want to see him dragged off after conviction screaming "You're nothin' but a lottta talk and a badge . . . you're justa lotta talk and a badge!
No way could Trump pull off DeNiro.
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:38 PM   #2014
SezMe
post-pre-born

Originally Posted by wasapi View Post
If possible, I believe junior is more stupid then his dear-old daddy
Consider poor Eric then. He makes even Jr. look smart - do IQ test results include negative numbers?
SezMe is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:54 PM   #2015
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Fredo will get nowhere; everybody in the Trump White House though Fredo an total idiot. Even Daddy does not, according to rumor, have a high opinion of Fredo's Intelligence.
Jr acts like he's his father's equal in importance. So does Ivanka for that matter. But Jr runs around speaking publicly like he's the new bully on the block and it's quite the cringeworthy joke.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 06:58 PM   #2016
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The 'documentary' was clearly going to be the same pile of **** Giuliani kept spouting that they would produce all this evidence 'tomorrow' when if they had any evidence they would have presented it in court.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:00 PM   #2017
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
There we differ. The parallels with Snorky Capone are not very close. He provided liquor and drugs, gambling and prostitutes, and, importantly, jobs and a market for small producers.(His buyers operated as far away as Rock Springs, Wyoming!) Also, he lived unpretentiously, keeping up a modest front as a dealer in used furniture.

So no extortion of businesses the mob is commonly known for?
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:04 PM   #2018
SezMe
post-pre-born

I think that he is the guest of honor at CPAC just shows how strong a grip Trump has on the GOP "base".Problem is has probably lost everybody else, which is the GOP's dilemna.
Here is the CPAC agenda. My favorite break-out session: Why the Left Hates the Bill of Rights... and We Love It by Senator Mike Lee. That promises to win the Big Lie of CPAC 2012 award.
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:07 PM   #2019
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by SezMe View Post
Where do you view these?
Jimmy Kimmel played one clip of Jr defending Cruz that has been played on the news. It's always better to view them with proper comentary.

Starts about 1:40

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 22nd February 2021 at 07:08 PM.
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:08 PM   #2020
sackett
Philosopher

So no extortion of businesses the mob is commonly known for?
Well of course the Big Guy sold protection! Woddya callin' him, some kinda wimp?

If you would ruin a man's character, let him seize power.
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:39 PM   #2021
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena

Originally Posted by sackett View Post

They're all talking about this analogy that I made, and I don't understand. It was a perfect analogy. A -perfect- analogy. There was nothing in there to complain about. It's a witch hunt.
Old 25th February 2021, 08:33 PM   #2022
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Remember how Moscow Mitch was really critical of Trump, condemning him for his role in the terrorist activities at the Capitol in January?

Well, apparently neither does he...

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday he would "absolutely" support former President Donald Trump if he became the GOP presidential nominee in 2024, a notable commitment following his recent blistering critiques of the former President.

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 09:18 PM   #2023
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Moscow Mitch is probably missing the camaraderie of that CPAC crowd.
Old 25th February 2021, 09:52 PM   #2024
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Segnosaur View Post
Remember how Moscow Mitch was really critical of Trump, condemning him for his role in the terrorist activities at the Capitol in January?

Well, apparently neither does he...

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said Thursday he would "absolutely" support former President Donald Trump if he became the GOP presidential nominee in 2024, a notable commitment following his recent blistering critiques of the former President.
There seems to be an epidemic of amnesia afflicting Republicans. Not only does Mitch forget that, but S. Dakota's AG seems to have forgotten a man crashing through his windshield head first and dying:

Quote:
It's the latest fallout from the Sept. 12 incident in which Ravnsborg, while driving home from an evening Republican fundraiser, fatally struck 55-year-old Joe Boever along the side of U.S. Highway 14 near Highmore, S.D. In his initial 911 call, as well as in a subsequent two-page public statement, Ravnsborg said he believed his car had hit a deer or some other large animal and did not know he had killed a man until he returned to the accident scene the following day and discovered Boever's body.

At one point, investigators said that a pair of broken glasses was found inside the attorney general's car and that the glasses could have gotten there only by Boever's face entering through the windshield.

"We know that his face came through your windshield,"
one of the investigators said, in an exchange reported by South Dakota Public Broadcasting. "That's, I would think, substantially clear that that's what happened. We also have the imprint on the hood where his body, part of his body, likely was riding. At some point [in] time, he rolls off, takes out the mirror and slides into the ditch."
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:13 PM   #2025
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Guesses on what 45 will rant about on Sunday?

Given that key Republicans are staying away, I'd guess that he'll unload on them.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 25th February 2021, 11:24 PM   #2026
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

The election was rigged.

I won by a landslide.

We have proof the judges wouldn't let us show to them.

Republicans that aren't behind me are traitors to the party.

I'm thinking of Graham for my VP (he may or may not disclose this so early).
Old 25th February 2021, 11:28 PM   #2027
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
There seems to be an epidemic of amnesia afflicting Republicans. Not only does Mitch forget that, but S. Dakota's AG seems to have forgotten a man crashing through his windshield head first and dying:
That face in the windshield has to be one of the creepiest things. There was a show with that plot on a few years ago. I can't remember, Midsomer Murders or Vera or some Brit detective show. The guy was stuck on the hood of the car and died in the garage when the drunk driver got home.
Old 26th February 2021, 01:25 AM   #2028
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

That face in the windshield has to be one of the creepiest things. There was a show with that plot on a few years ago. I can't remember, Midsomer Murders or Vera or some Brit detective show. The guy was stuck on the hood of the car and died in the garage when the drunk driver got home.

If that was a TV storyline, it was based on fact.
Quote:
On October 26, 2001, twenty-five-year-old Chante Jawan Mallard struck 37-year-old Gregory Glenn Biggs, a homeless man, with her automobile, in Fort Worth, Texas, U.S. The force of the crash lodged Biggs into the windshield. Mallard then drove home and left the man lodged in her windshield, where he died a day or two later.[1] Mallard was convicted and sentenced to 50 years' imprisonment for her role in his death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...ry_Glenn_Biggs
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/l...181016426.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 01:36 AM   #2029
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

The election was rigged.

I won by a landslide.

We have proof the judges wouldn't let us show to them.

Republicans that aren't behind me are traitors to the party.

I'm thinking of Graham for my VP (he may or may not disclose this so early).
CPAC?
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 01:37 AM   #2030
Stacyhs
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
If that was a TV storyline, it was based on fact.

Quote:
Quote:
On October 26, 2001, twenty-five-year-old Chante Jawan Mallard struck 37-year-old Gregory Glenn Biggs, a homeless man, with her automobile, in Fort Worth, Texas, U.S. The force of the crash lodged Biggs into the windshield. Mallard then drove home and left the man lodged in her windshield, where he died a day or two later.[1] Mallard was convicted and sentenced to 50 years' imprisonment for her role in his death.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder...ry_Glenn_Biggs
What the hell is wrong with people?
Old 26th February 2021, 02:26 AM   #2031
KDLarsen
Illuminator

It was a CSI storyline.

IIRC the whole thing was a mess, where the driver had had a few too many drinks to legally drive, but it turned out the victim was suicidal and had stepped into oncoming traffic on purpose. It was pointed out to the driver that had he stopped and given aid, he most likely would have gotten off with a DUI in the end.
KDLarsen is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 04:35 AM   #2032
Armitage72
Philosopher

I also remember a horror comic, I don't think it was an EC title, so maybe one of the DC or smaller company ones, although it involved a 50s style car with lots of elaborate chrome, so maybe it was EC. A driver hits a man with his car with no witnesses, so he drives away. As he enters a town, he notices people staring at him in horror. The police stop him, drag him out of his car, and arrest him.
"What are you doing? Are you crazy?"
"No Mister. We aren't crazy."
They then lead him to the front of his car, where his victim's body is caught on the front bumper.

Last edited by Armitage72; 26th February 2021 at 04:39 AM.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 06:04 AM   #2033
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump raised over $300,000,000 through his personal PAC with 'Stop the Steal' he can leverage that money to primary candidates that stay loyal.

Did you notice the quick backpedaling from Graham & McConnell?
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 10:57 AM   #2034
Bob001
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It was a CSI storyline.

From the Star-Telegram link:
Quote:
Mallard’s story has been adapted for or inspired several TV shows and movies, including: CSI: Crime Scene Investigation - Anatomy of a Lye (2002); Fargo, Season 2 (2015); Stuck (2007); Hit and Run (2009), and Accident on Hill Road (2009).

Great minds think alike, or something.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 12:35 PM   #2035
MRC_Hans
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I also remember a horror comic, I don't think it was an EC title, so maybe one of the DC or smaller company ones, although it involved a 50s style car with lots of elaborate chrome, so maybe it was EC. A driver hits a man with his car with no witnesses, so he drives away. As he enters a town, he notices people staring at him in horror. The police stop him, drag him out of his car, and arrest him.
"What are you doing? Are you crazy?"
"No Mister. We aren't crazy."
They then lead him to the front of his car, where his victim's body is caught on the front bumper.
Real story from small town (another small town) I used to live in: Drunk driver crashes into a shop. Car (and him) none worse off than he can back out and drive home. Once home he notices his front license plate missing. He drives back to the site of the accident to recover it. At this point in time the police is there.

Hans
Old 26th February 2021, 01:02 PM   #2036
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That very well could be where I heard about it. News vs TV program, could have been the news.
Old 26th February 2021, 01:04 PM   #2037
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
CPAC?
Yes, prediction for Sunday. Trump is very predictable.
Old 26th February 2021, 01:05 PM   #2038
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by KDLarsen View Post
It was a CSI storyline.

IIRC the whole thing was a mess, where the driver had had a few too many drinks to legally drive, but it turned out the victim was suicidal and had stepped into oncoming traffic on purpose. It was pointed out to the driver that had he stopped and given aid, he most likely would have gotten off with a DUI in the end.
I never watch CSI.
Old 26th February 2021, 01:46 PM   #2039
Segnosaur
Penultimate Amazing

Huge mistake.
Trying to find some sympathy for him, but for some reason I just can't....

MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell says he expects to lose $65 million in pillow revenue this year because of retailer boycotts over his claims that the 2020 US election was rigged. That projection, Lindell told Insider in an interview Monday after being served with a defamation lawsuit...is evidence he isn't pushing election-fraud claims for the money.

(Of course, the fact that he is actually loosing money doesn't mean he didn't EXPECT to increase sales from his claims of fraud... it could just be that his plans backfired.)

I'm Mary Poppin's Y'all! - Yondu

We are Groot - Groot
Segnosaur is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th February 2021, 01:56 PM   #2040
Dr. Keith
Not a doctor.

Originally Posted by MRC_Hans View Post
Real story from small town (another small town) I used to live in: Drunk driver crashes into a shop. Car (and him) none worse off than he can back out and drive home. Once home he notices his front license plate missing. He drives back to the site of the accident to recover it. At this point in time the police is there.

Hans
Happened at my parent's house. Driver drove into a small brick wall in their front yard and left the plate in the wall. Also left a trail of leaking fluids that helped the cops, too.

If I had a pet panda I would name it Snowflake.
Dr. Keith is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics