IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags 2020 elections , joe biden , Kamala Harris

Old 20th February 2021, 04:03 PM   #1921
Delphic Oracle
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Oh I've posted articles that we are close to Herd Immunity or already in it. The pandemic could be over, but the politicians want to keep it alive and keep all the sheep in fear and jabbed.

What happened to working on one's HEALTH??????
You've posted claims. More people making the same claims while not providing any more evidence doesn't change anything.

Getting vaccinated against a potentially deadly disease at pandemic proportions is "working on one's health" and does not preclude other activities that are healthy.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 04:06 PM   #1922
beachnut
Penultimate Amazing

Right now as I see it, we are living the New Norm as long as Biden/Harris and their crew are in charge. Masks, distancing, no get togethers, lockdowns = prison, and on and on.

Now I'm hearing Harris is doing more and more of the Presidential interactions....ummmm
Which was in place during the last president who lied about the virus. You don't seem to know the topic of this thread.

Oh I've posted articles that we are close to Herd Immunity or already in it. The pandemic could be over, but the politicians want to keep it alive and keep all the sheep in fear and jabbed.

Do you have a source for "politicians what to keep it alive"? No

And what does this have to do with the Topic? The Biden Presidency
beachnut is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 04:22 PM   #1923
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Oh I've posted articles that we are close to Herd Immunity or already in it.
Correction - you posted links to claims that don't really work so well, unless you're invoking the altered and dramatically weaker version of herd immunity where any hint of effect due to reduced infectable population counts as reaching herd immunity. With the vaccines, we are much more quickly approaching the point where the most vulnerable groups to harm are dramatically less vulnerable in general, though that's fairly certainly a bit different from the fairly certainly misused version of "herd immunity being claimed by your anti-vax sources.

The pandemic could be over, but the politicians want to keep it alive and keep all the sheep in fear and jabbed.

You mean, that thing that Republicans keep working really hard to undermine for all but the very rich in a plethora of ways and Democrats keep trying to make better across the board? Yeah, that situation hasn't changed.
Old 20th February 2021, 04:34 PM   #1924
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

In other news... Virginia's GOP has had something that perhaps shouldn't be surprising happen.

Quote:

The Republican Party of Virginia has voted four times since December to nominate its candidates for this year’s statewide races at a convention instead of in a primary election. But in a sign of the Trumpian times of denial and dispute in the G.O.P., nearly half of the party’s top officials keep trying to reverse the results and get a primary.

The refusal of these Republicans to admit they have lost, or to agree on a set of nominating rules, has fractured a state party already in upheaval: Republicans haven’t won a statewide election since 2009, and they now find themselves with legislative minorities for the first time in a generation. Even the broken windows at the state party’s Richmond headquarters haven’t been fixed for months.
Trump may have loudly led the way, but he's not even remotely alone and the effects aren't even remotely gone.
Old 20th February 2021, 05:07 PM   #1925
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

Right now as I see it, we are living the New Norm as long as Biden/Harris and their crew are in charge. Masks, distancing, no get togethers, lockdowns = prison, and on and on.

Now I'm hearing Harris is doing more and more of the Presidential interactions....ummmm
What specifically do you personally observe that leads you to this conclusion? And how do these observations differ compared to one month ago?

Mind you, I'm not interested in whatever inane things you've read on the internet. First hand observations please.
Old 20th February 2021, 05:35 PM   #1926
Paul2
Philosopher

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I don't think the federal minimum wage is a good place to look for solving income equality.

A federal minimum wage that is a flat value (say $15/hour) is going to yield very different results in each state.

Maybe that is why it is so low now?

In Silicon Valley, Cali, $15 an hour is barely enough to rent a bedroom from somebody, if it is at all. You are struggling and living paycheck to paycheck, and you better have no kids. If you need any car repairs at all you are in trouble.

In some other areas of the country that same wage goes a whole lot farther. Even some areas in Cali are very different.

Rent is half price just 2 hours from here. The businesses in areas where the dollar goes farther won't be able to pay that $15 amount.

The various economies are too different for a federal minimum wage that is anything but very low.

The states need to take care of their people. Either that or have an adjustable federal wage that allows for different local economies. A $15 minimum wage wouldn't change anything in California. In my area the minimum is actually slightly higher than that.
A $15 minimum wage will give some people in California more money. The perfect is not the enemy of the good.

Aristotle, so far as I know, was the first man to proclaim explicitly that man is a rational animal. His reason for this view was one which does not now seem very impressive: it was, that some people can do sums. - Bertrand Russell
Paul2 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 20th February 2021, 06:44 PM   #1927
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
I don't think the federal minimum wage is a good place to look for solving income equality.

A federal minimum wage that is a flat value (say $15/hour) is going to yield very different results in each state.

Maybe that is why it is so low now?

In Silicon Valley, Cali, $15 an hour is barely enough to rent a bedroom from somebody, if it is at all. You are struggling and living paycheck to paycheck, and you better have no kids. If you need any car repairs at all you are in trouble.

In some other areas of the country that same wage goes a whole lot farther. Even some areas in Cali are very different.

Rent is half price just 2 hours from here. The businesses in areas where the dollar goes farther won't be able to pay that $15 amount.

The various economies are too different for a federal minimum wage that is anything but very low.

The states need to take care of their people. Either that or have an adjustable federal wage that allows for different local economies. A $15 minimum wage wouldn't change anything in California. In my area the minimum is actually slightly higher than that.
Raising the minimum wage increases wages across the board, not just those earning it. This is a fact. And the biggest problem facing this country today is that workers are underpaid while business owners and stockholders cash in.

You just pointed out why it necessary to raise the minimum wage nationwide. The states in particular in many locales refuse to raise the minimum wage as they are bought off by employers who want to pay as low a wage as they can as that means more for them.

If your business only exists by paying subsistence wages, maybe you shouldn't be in business.

Last edited by acbytesla; 20th February 2021 at 06:59 PM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 07:15 PM   #1928
Horatius
NWO Kitty Wrangler

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
If your business only exists by paying subsistence wages, maybe you shouldn't be in business.

I always liked Chris Rock's take on minimum wage:

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:00 AM   #1929
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Meanwhile oil prices have risen from $25 a barrel to $62 during President Biden's first month in office. Yay?
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:12 AM   #1930
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by ChrisBFRPKY View Post
Meanwhile oil prices have risen from $25 a barrel to $62 during President Biden's first month in office. Yay?
Wasn’t that the former guy’s policy - wanting oil prices higher? Not heard what the current guy has said. What has he said?
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:27 AM   #1931
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Stop lying.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cy/6798510002/

Oil hasn’t been 25$ a barrel since April.

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:31 AM   #1932
dirtywick
Illuminator

maybe these fracking companies might make enough money to stay in business
dirtywick is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:48 AM   #1933
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by kookbreaker View Post
Stop lying.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...cy/6798510002/

Oil hasn’t been 25$ a barrel since April.
Stop lying, it was May.

Great fact check link BTW

"The claim that oil prices had jumped from about $25 a barrel when Joe Biden became president to more than $61 a barrel now is FALSE. While prices have increased since Jan. 20, crude oil already was trading at more than $53 a barrel at that time."

It's only increased by a measly 15% in the past 30 days.

Yay?
ChrisBFRPKY is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:53 AM   #1934
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by dirtywick View Post
maybe these fracking companies might make enough money to stay in business
You mean the old fracking companies? I remember somebody saying "No new fracking." I'll admit I really don't know whether President Biden is for or against fracking. I heard so many different views expressed on fracking by Biden it could go either way.

If you're FOR something AND against it, seems like you're covered either way.
Old 22nd February 2021, 07:53 AM   #1935
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

The more expensive oil is the more incentive people have to switch to alternatives. So yes. Yay.
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:04 AM   #1936
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Stop lying, it was May.
May 2020 is a lot closer to April 2020 than January 2021 is.

Quote:
Great fact check link BTW

"The claim that oil prices had jumped from about $25 a barrel when Joe Biden became president to more than $61 a barrel now is FALSE. While prices have increased since Jan. 20, crude oil already was trading at more than $53 a barrel at that time."

It's only increased by a measly 15% in the past 30 days.

Yay?
Golly. Oil prices go up in a harsh winter. Go figure.

Your little gotcha meme-based attack on the President has some rather diminishing returns: one moment its all "oIl pRiCeS DoUblEd iN bIdEN's fIRst mOnTH!" to "oh noes!! everyone get super-dooper concerned about a 15% price increase in a harsh winter".

Its rather pathetic really. Maybe don't get your political and economic info from memes?

Thanks for helping me win Best Toys in Philly Voter in 2011,2012, and 2014! We won' be discussing the disappointment that was 2013.
kookbreaker is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 11:34 AM   #1937
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

You do understand that had to happen don't you? This is a response to increased demand. At $25 a barrel the oil companies were selling below cost. What was the price per barrel before the pandemic?

Interesting, i didn't read the rest of the thread which demonstrated that determined again why you shouldn't rely on the news sources that you frequent.

There was no way the price of oil was going to stay at $25 a barrel. The price of a barrel of light oil today is hovering around the average price for oil for all of 2019. Even at $65, the price is low. FYI, the price in 1980 was $35 a barrel which is the equivalent of $110 today.

Personally, I expect oil prices to continue to rise.

This has little to do with who POTUS is. Production was dramatically slowed as a result of the pandemic. More wells were capped then opened. The oil companies even asked for government funds to help them cap wells, if demand continues to rise as is expected prices will go up.

Last edited by acbytesla; 22nd February 2021 at 11:59 AM.
acbytesla is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:04 PM   #1938
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Could you sketch out the causal chain between Biden's presidency and the global oil price? What has he done or said which has had this worldwide impact?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:07 PM   #1939
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

You mean the old fracking companies? I remember somebody saying "No new fracking." I'll admit I really don't know whether President Biden is for or against fracking. I heard so many different views expressed on fracking by Biden it could go either way.
No you haven't.

Quote:
If you're FOR something AND against it, seems like you're covered either way.
How is a rising oil-price evidence that Biden is for fracking?

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:13 PM   #1940
Sherman Bay
Master Poster

Obviously, there's a cause & effect here. The question is, has Biden caused the rise, or is he benefiting from it?

In other news, the price of rum in Havana is up, as are the salaries of Presbyterian ministers in Massachusetts. Which is the cause, and who benefits?
Sherman Bay is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 05:15 PM   #1941
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Golly. Oil prices go up in a harsh winter. Go figure.
Lets not forget that the oil market is global. Short-term weather events in the US have very little impact on it.

Old 22nd February 2021, 06:57 PM   #1942
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post
Obviously, there's a cause & effect here. The question is, has Biden caused the rise, or is he benefiting from it?

In other news, the price of rum in Havana is up, as are the salaries of Presbyterian ministers in Massachusetts. Which is the cause, and who benefits?
Oil was not $25 a barrel in January. Don’t play into the flagrant lie.

Old 22nd February 2021, 07:51 PM   #1943
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Sherman Bay View Post

Obviously someone claims there's a cause and an effect. But is there one? Maybe, but I think it is impossible to prove. Perfect example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. Just because one event follows another does not mean there is a causal link betweenthe two.

We were all taught in Economics 101 how prices are directly related to supply and demand or more accurately perceived supply and demand. In April, the bottom fell out of travel which in turn resulted in falling prices for energy with transportation fuel prices taking the biggest hit. In April of last year, you could hardly give away a barrel of oil. In fact, the price for a barrel of light crude at one point was negative $35 a barrel. It rebounded to around $40 a barrel pretty quickly and slowly increased for the last 10 months. The price today is about what it was pre-pandemic. I expect it to go higher because the oil companies have been losing money and they are going to be more conservative.

The fracking boom is mostly over as much of it was fools gold. Fracking would result in increased oil production, but those increases were costly and didn't last. The energy markets are likely to be volatile for a while.
Old 22nd February 2021, 08:31 PM   #1944
Delvo
Дэлво Δελϝο דֶלְבֹֿ देल्वो

In April, the bottom fell out of travel which in turn resulted in falling prices for energy with transportation fuel prices taking the biggest hit.
So you're saying that, by making the plague more severe than it would have been without him, Trump did lower the prices!
Delvo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:01 PM   #1945
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Delvo View Post
So you're saying that, by making the plague more severe than it would have been without him, Trump did lower the prices!
You could say that. Maybe.

Still, I'd argue that the Trump presidency was the worst economic disaster this country has faced since WW2 and the Great Depression. Trump's incompetence and his attacks on our government will inevitably cost the country at least 5 trillion dollars andprobably more than that. I say that because of the necessary stimulus packages as well as confidence from abroad. America is the wealthiest nation on the planet for many reasons, but one of the reasons is confidence from investors abroad. Foreign countries and nationals invest in the US because they rely on us to be dependable. Trump threatens that reliability.

Then there is the fact that Trump threatens our lives. His failure of dealing with the pandemic has resulted in average US life expectancy to fall an entire year. The life expectancy for minorities dropped an average of 3 years.

Almost anyone would have been better than Trump. Biden is so far proving he's better than just anyone. Still, it is early.
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:07 PM   #1946
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Lauren Boebert tweets

@laurenboebert
The lids are back on! Don’t you miss having a President who worked tirelessly?

Quote Tweet
Kelly O'Donnell
@KellyO
White House has called a “lid” for this Sunday so no expected events or public activities by the president.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:39 PM   #1947
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Lauren Boebert tweets

@laurenboebert
The lids are back on! Don’t you miss having a President who worked tirelessly?

Quote Tweet
Kelly O'Donnell
@KellyO
White House has called a “lid” for this Sunday so no expected events or public activities by the president.

She can't be serious. No POTUS in history kept a lighter schedule than Trump.
Old 22nd February 2021, 09:52 PM   #1948
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Biden has done nothing to impact the cost of oil yet. Texas on the other hand, the cluster **** there is impacting production. There are other factors at play but in the US spikes in demand due to weather and weather impact on supply are driving up costs.

https://oilprice.com/Energy/Oil-Pric...en-Supply.html

Last edited by Craig4; 22nd February 2021 at 09:54 PM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 10:46 PM   #1949
gregthehammer
Muse

She can't be serious. No POTUS in history kept a lighter schedule than Trump.
Is she serious? Well, was she sitting in front of her haphazard collection of guns when she tweeted? Is so, she was dead serious. DEAD SERIOUS!
gregthehammer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 04:32 AM   #1950
gnome
Penultimate Amazing

Tirelessly trolling the press and opponents isn't "working"

gnome is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:04 AM   #1951
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Really starting to question the wisdom of campaigning on "$2000 immediately" when it's turning out to be neither $2000 or immediate.

The delay and tedious means means testing aren't Biden's fault, but rather that of the legislature, but Biden still ends up getting the blame as head of the party. Seems to me that the Democratic party should have made the $2000 checks their day one priority, or at least not politically messaged in such a way that people thought cash relief would be coming quickly.
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:14 AM   #1952
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

I agree.

"as fast as possible" isn't the same as "immediately", especially not in Washington.
The Great Zaganza is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:24 AM   #1953
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
No you haven't.

How is a rising oil-price evidence that Biden is for fracking?
Yes I have. I'll add a video link for you to hear the same. Further, it's rather presumptuous to claim you can know what someone has or has not heard. Or were you planning an attempt at the million dollar psychic power challenge?
I think that has been cancelled though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4_2ynjacFI

For or against? I'd like to know.
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:28 AM   #1954
ChrisBFRPKY
Illuminator

Agreed this is true. The price of oil only increased 15% during Biden's first month in office.
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:33 AM   #1955
kookbreaker
Evil Fokker

Agreed this is true. The price of oil only increased 15% during Biden's first month in office.
So do you retract your attack on Biden where you falsely claimed an oil price rise of over 100+% in a single month?

Old 23rd February 2021, 06:39 AM   #1956
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

If you think about it, the price of oil has increased by infinity % since they hit $0 in April. Explain that, libs!

Stop taking the bait. Nobody proposing this as a "gotcha" for Biden is doing so in good faith. They're just ****-posting (an activity I very much respect).
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:48 AM   #1957
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
If you think about it, the price of oil has increased by infinity % since they hit $0 in April. Explain that, libs!

Stop taking the bait. Nobody proposing this as a "gotcha" for Biden is doing so in good faith. They're just ****-posting (an activity I very much respect).
Indeed. Similarly, nobody claiming that Biden promised $2k immediately is making that claim in good faith.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 06:56 AM   #1958
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
Indeed. Similarly, nobody claiming that Biden promised $2k immediately is making that claim in good faith.
I guess Biden himself was speaking in bad faith here:

Quote:
During his speech in Atlanta, Biden promised that if Warnock and Ossoff won the runoffs, "that money will go out the door immediately to help people who are in real trouble."

https://www.businessinsider.com/bide...diately-2021-1

Not everyone is a politics hobbyist like us people posting on the forum. I think a significant portion of the population would not consider over a month later "immediately", even if that's what is realistic given the political limitations.

Again, I don't really see this as a broken campaign promise, more as a failure of messaging and managing expectations. There was definitely the perception that this is something that would happen swiftly if the Democrats won.

Last edited by SuburbanTurkey; 23rd February 2021 at 07:09 AM.
SuburbanTurkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:11 AM   #1959
wareyin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by SuburbanTurkey View Post
I guess Biden himself was speaking in bad faith here:

https://www.businessinsider.com/bide...diately-2021-1

Not everyone is a politics hobbyist like us people posting on the forum. I think a significant portion of the population would not consider over a month later "immediately", even if that's what is realistic given the political limitations.

Again, I don't really see this as a broken campaign promise, more as a failure of messaging and managing expectations. There was definitely the perception that this is something that would happen swiftly if the Democrats won, which is probably something that was not realistic.
When the direct quotes don't say what you and the article are claiming, and what you and the article are claiming contradicts everything else, I'll take "bad faith spin" for $600 Alex.
wareyin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd February 2021, 07:17 AM   #1960
SuburbanTurkey
Philosopher

Originally Posted by wareyin View Post
When the direct quotes don't say what you and the article are claiming, and what you and the article are claiming contradicts everything else, I'll take "bad faith spin" for $600 Alex.
i'm struggling to come to a different understanding on what was meant to be communicated here.

From the transcript:

Originally Posted by Joe Biden
By electing Jon and the Reverend, you can make an immediate difference in your own lives, the lives of the people all across this country. Because their election will put an end to the block in Washington, that $2000 stimulus check, that money would go out the door immediately, to help people who are in real trouble. Think about what it will mean to your lives, putting food on the table, paying rent
https://www.rev.com/blog/transcripts...ock-jon-ossoff

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics