IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer treatments , Coronavirus , Coronavirus treatment , vitamin c

Old 23rd September 2020, 01:38 PM   #121
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Yeah, it's basically us, some monkeys and guinea pigs (and a few outliers). If ascorbic acid was a miracle cure it'd been seen before now.

Interestingly, due to unscientific bollocks regarding scurvy (VC deficiency) the condition made a return in the late nineteenth/early twentieth centuries, e.g. Scott in the antarctic.
<Derail>

Over on the late badscience (now scrutable.science ) there was one guy who was a proponent of "slow walking" somehow that prevented scurvey.

And the reason why scurvey happened in sailing ships and not now was because people used to sleep in hammocks

No, we couldn't understand the rationale either.

</derail>
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:58 PM   #122
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
<Derail>

Over on the late badscience (now scrutable.science ) there was one guy who was a proponent of "slow walking" somehow that prevented scurvey.

And the reason why scurvey happened in sailing ships and not now was because people used to sleep in hammocks

</derail>
Stick to watercress.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th September 2020, 03:41 AM   #123
malbui
Beauf

<Derail>

</derail>
I'd forgotten about that. One of the more mind-stretching arguments, that one.
Old 31st January 2021, 01:15 PM   #124
Caroline13
Thinker

Vit C and recently added Amla (goosberry) and I absolutely know these are a major factor in my life of good health, no colds, flu and other sickness for over 30 yrs and I'm 82,

And no vaccines for probably 40 yrs.

Also some others I take Vit D, Zinc and Grape Seed Extract(25 yrs taking it)
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 01:21 PM   #125
Planigale
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Vit C and recently added Amla (goosberry) and I absolutely know these are a major factor in my life of good health, no colds, flu and other sickness for over 30 yrs and I'm 82,

Excellent. But what we would need to know is how many other 82 yr olds don't take ascorbic acid or gooseberries (I have some at the bottom of my garden, are these green or red gooseberries you take?). Just because one 82 yr old does something it does not mean if others do something they will live to be 82. It is like having a lucky shirt for pulling, it might work for you, but it doesn't mean if I wear it I'll get lucky.
Planigale is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 01:45 PM   #126
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

If you are over 60 and in good health, you probably would not get many colds.
Old 31st January 2021, 02:17 PM   #127
Caroline13
Thinker

A lot of 70-80 yr olds are dead due to covid and poor/frail immune system. Shame they didn't take their Vit C and others.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 02:29 PM   #128
Ron Obvious
Critical Thinker

A lot of 70-80 yr olds are dead due to covid and poor/frail immune system. Shame they didn't take their Vit C and others.
Sceptics don't put much stock in anecdotal evidence, you know.
Old 31st January 2021, 04:53 PM   #129
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know who did or did not?

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 05:14 PM   #130
Dude111
Critical Thinker

Vit C is one of the BEST things we can take!!
Dude111 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 05:39 PM   #131
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Ron Obvious View Post
Sceptics don't put much stock in anecdotal evidence, you know.
Well we can use anecdotal evidence but it needs more than a sample size of 1 and it has to be systematically collected preferably with a matched control group of folks.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 05:40 PM   #132
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Well, that settles it then. Thank you for sharing.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st January 2021, 06:16 PM   #133
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

YOU ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!!

Give up that "heath" food crap and take to smoking and drinking and you'll live to at least a hundred!!

Here are five people who did so:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...her-young.html

https://www.ladbible.com/news/intere...-eats-20201125

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...le-course.html

https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buz...ngevity/686884

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/100-y...arettes-a-day/

That's 500% more evidence than your single example.

Old 31st January 2021, 06:22 PM   #134
Caroline13
Thinker

Thanks I don't want to live to be 100. My dad was 5 yrs short of 100 and he was so ready to go, so ready.

I'm happy the way "I do it", don't need to imbibe and mess up my lungs.

Last edited by Caroline13; 31st January 2021 at 06:28 PM.
Old 31st January 2021, 06:24 PM   #135
Caroline13
Thinker

And I believe had so many in senior homes and frail and old had been taking Vit C and Vit D they could be alive today, but covid came along and got them.

And even younger ones, the same scenerio.
Old 31st January 2021, 06:24 PM   #136
casebro
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
YOU ARE DOING IT ALL WRONG!!

Give up that "heath" food crap and take to smoking and drinking and you'll live to at least a hundred!!

Here are five people who did so:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...her-young.html

https://www.ladbible.com/news/intere...-eats-20201125

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...le-course.html

https://www.timesnownews.com/the-buz...ngevity/686884

https://www.foodbeast.com/news/100-y...arettes-a-day/

That's 500% more evidence than your single example.

And the growth in the rate of collecting more subjects was ASTRONOMICAL!
Old 31st January 2021, 08:30 PM   #137
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

And I believe had so many in senior homes and frail and old had been taking Vit C and Vit D they could be alive today, but covid came along and got them.

And even younger ones, the same scenerio.
Linus Pauling believed in Vitamin C and he's dead! DEAD!
How's that for some anecdotal evidence,
Old 31st January 2021, 09:11 PM   #138
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Vitamin C may be great stuff, and it may be that we ought to take more of it, but you provide no evidence that it has had any effect on Covid mortality, since you can provide no data relating to who did or did not use it.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:09 AM   #139
Carrot Flower King
Muse

What is it with you alt med types and your love of victim blaming? Along with your dislike of anything which resembles evidence, of course...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 06:10 AM   #140
Carrot Flower King
Muse

For preventing scurvy...

Or is that walking slowly? I get so confused about some of these " theories".
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st February 2021, 01:10 PM   #141
Caroline13
Thinker

Pauling lived a long good life, so he's dead. It was his time, Vit C or not.
Old 1st February 2021, 01:16 PM   #142
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
What is it with you alt med types and your love of victim blaming? Along with your dislike of anything which resembles evidence, of course...
What are you talking about..sounds like a lot of anger coming out.

I take a couple pharma meds, BP meds and ibuprofen and tylenol and the rest is YES herbals and all the other non toxic food based, earth based medicine I research and have been for 30 yrs.

And what is this "victim blaming"?

And we can go a little further, I live with over 10 yrs of damage from knives in the operating room that replaced my hip and made me now support the "walker " industry. Could I have lived without the hip replacement, maybe, and maybe better than I ended up with one. But the replacement was "elective" and many electives are done that probably don't need to be performed.
Old 1st February 2021, 02:04 PM   #143
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I take a couple pharma meds, BP meds and ibuprofen and tylenol and the rest is YES herbals and all the other non toxic food based, earth based medicine I research and have been for 30 yrs.

And we can go a little further, I live with over 10 yrs of damage from knives in the operating room that replaced my hip and made me now support the "walker " industry. Could I have lived without the hip replacement, maybe, and maybe better than I ended up with one. But the replacement was "elective" and many electives are done that probably don't need to be performed.
In case you are deaf to your own language, your post #127 suggests, without any corroborating evidence, that people who died from Covid 19 would not have done so if they had used Vitamin C. That is, quite simply, blaming them for not doing something, which led to their deaths.

If you have trouble understanding that concept, I suggest your general ability to understand anything is open to serious question.

Don't get me wrong. I like Vitamin C and other natural supplements, and try to stay healthy and don't eschew even a few things whose overall benefit is dubious as long as they don't do any harm. But if you're going to make a statement like the one you made, you need more than that for anyone to take it seriously. If there's evidence that more Vitamin C might help a person survive Covid, or that those who did die were in some way deficient in it, we don't see it here.

Last edited by bruto; 1st February 2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added a vital comma
Old 1st February 2021, 04:02 PM   #144
Caroline13
Thinker

And I do believe that in 127, a lot more could be alive if they had strong immune systems.

Back in 2016, I the horrid displeasure of spending 4.5 months in rehabs due to negligence on MD's for a knee infection I had going on and those in those homes were waiting around to go..and I'd bet plenty of money they were not taking C and D so I do speak with some experiences. I had to ask my friends and family to bring me my C and D to keep me in good health thru all this nightmare. Long long messy story in my life.
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:41 AM   #145
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

For preventing scurvy...

Or is that walking slowly? I get so confused about some of these " theories".
I understand that reference. Also involves hammocks causing scurvy.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:52 AM   #146
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Oh, I know you do, 'cos you werre there, maaan!
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:01 AM   #147
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Your posts 127 and 135 specifically blame people for their own deaths; that is blaming the victims; it is a common thing among alt medders, for whom the "treatment" can never be at fault it is always that someone didn't follow it properly or strayed from The One True Path (I've read more of those sorts of accounts than I care to think about).

Anger? You don't know the half of it: listening to the sort of BS that the likes of you spout in the face of all available evidence because you Want To Believe, blaming other people for their own illnesses and death, undermining genuine attempts at healthcare with your nonsense...Yes, there is some anger. I must admit I was half expecting you to blame me for my cardiac problems (yes, this has happened)...

Also, do you remember that after you made some claims about "science" I asked you for some support for that claim? If you can provide some science to back up what you say we might have something to talk about, but all we've had so far is anecdote and a couple of appeals to authority (the UK-ian Royal family, FFS!). Can you back up what you said?
Old 2nd February 2021, 05:59 AM   #148
catsmate
No longer the 1

And I do believe that in 127, a lot more could be alive if they had strong immune systems.
Which has nothing to do with ascorbic acid.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:03 AM   #149
Carrot Flower King
Muse

All this advocating "boosting" or "strengthening" immune systems...It's like some folk have never heard of auto-immune conditions...
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:04 AM   #150
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Are you sure it wasn't hammocks cause scurvy? It's all so confusing...
Old 2nd February 2021, 06:06 AM   #151
catsmate
No longer the 1

Or it being down to ptomaine poisoning, which was popular 190020. This had serious effects on antarctic exploration; Scott almost managed to destroy his expedition in 1903 until he accepted the use of fresh meat. The background is complicated, involving stupidity, copper and imperialism.
The fascinating this, to me, is that cress, a herb easily cultivated, is an excellent preventative for vitamin C deficiency.
Old 2nd February 2021, 08:16 AM   #152
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by catsmate View Post
Which has nothing to do with ascorbic acid.

I expect ascorbic acid is a nasty chemical, nothing to do with natural healthy vitamin C.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:18 AM   #153
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I expect ascorbic acid is a nasty chemical, nothing to do with natural healthy vitamin C.
I did see someone (forget where - mebbe BTL on one of Orac's pieces) genuinely argue that, going full on naturalistic fallacy, anecdata ago-go, Linus Pauling authority appeals to the high heavens, you name it.
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:54 AM   #154
Modified
Philosopher

All this advocating "boosting" or "strengthening" immune systems...It's like some folk have never heard of auto-immune conditions...

I wonder what the breakdown is between years of life lost to auto-immune conditions and allergies vs those lost to infection not related to auto-immune disease treatment. Are our immune systems on average too weak or too strong? Also, can a vitamin deficiency improve auto-immune conditions and allergies?
Modified is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:07 AM   #155
Mojo
Mostly harmless

All this advocating "boosting" or "strengthening" immune systems...

Its a vague enough claim not to fall foul of advertising rules.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 11:33 AM   #156
RolandRat
Muse

earth based medicine I research and have been for 30 yrs
Isn't all medicine "earth based"? Or do you literally mean earth as in dirt?
RolandRat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 2nd February 2021, 02:37 PM   #157
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

I took a probiotic pill and an antibiotic pill at the same time and the resulting war gave me a really bad stomach ache.
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:00 PM   #158
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
I took a probiotic pill and an antibiotic pill at the same time and the resulting war gave me a really bad stomach ache.
They need to be taken a couple hrs between each other..You cancelled them out from helping.
Old 2nd February 2021, 04:01 PM   #159
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by RolandRat View Post
Isn't all medicine "earth based"? Or do you literally mean earth as in dirt?
Lab produced drugs are synthetic for the most part. Nothing earthy about them as I can see.
Old 2nd February 2021, 08:36 PM   #160
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Lab produced drugs are synthetic for the most part. Nothing earthy about them as I can see.
Well they are made from "CHEMICALS"!!!

You know, the same things as the rest of the universe is made from.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology