IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags cancer treatments , Coronavirus , Coronavirus treatment , vitamin c

Old 2nd February 2021, 09:09 PM   #161
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Vitamin C as a cure for illnesses

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
Well they are made from "CHEMICALS"!!!

You know, the same things as the rest of the universe is made from.

Not to mention there are fewer chemicals in those synthetics than in “natural” remedies.

Not drug related, but an example none-the-less: strawberry flavor. There are over 200 organic compounds involved in the flavor of a natural strawberry. Artificial strawberry flavor? One synthetic chemical. And a simpler, better tested, better understood one.

Same with most meds. Natural remedies have hundreds of chemicals: whatever was in the plant. Often at levels that vary from plant to plant based on growing conditions, soil composition, time of planting and harvest, weather patterns, etc, etc. you may get anywhere from half to double the amount of active ingredients. Synthetics are made of only the active ingredients, no extras, with precise dosage control.

Not to mention the whole idea of natural=safe is trivially false: nightshade, oleander, ricin, etc. Heck, cocaine is a plant product, as is opium. They weren’t safe even before they got purified and concentrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Hellbound; 2nd February 2021 at 09:18 PM.
Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:33 PM   #162
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by Caroline13 View Post
Lab produced drugs are synthetic for the most part. Nothing earthy about them as I can see.
Yes, they're just pure, consistent and effective.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 02:38 PM   #163
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Lab produced drugs are synthetic for the most part. Nothing earthy about them as I can see.
well, let's just ignore the fact that "lab produced" drugs saved my life for now.

If synthetic drugs are not from earth, where are they from? Mars? Saturn? where?

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th February 2021, 06:00 PM   #164
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

What are you talking about..sounds like a lot of anger coming out.

I take a couple pharma meds, BP meds and ibuprofen and tylenol and the rest is YES herbals and all the other non toxic food based, earth based medicine I research and have been for 30 yrs.
Just curious: if a tin of sliced peaches included deoxyribonucleic acid in its ingredients list, would you eat the peaches or discard them?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 03:13 PM   #165
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Just curious: if a tin of sliced peaches included deoxyribonucleic acid in its ingredients list, would you eat the peaches or discard them?
I didn't look up the acid but it's probably a preservative and I'd probably not be buying the peaches, but I'd eat them... Some preservatives are necessary for feeding our billions of population.

Last edited by Caroline13; 16th February 2021 at 03:20 PM.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 03:19 PM   #166
Caroline13
Thinker

On the Vit C subject, just heard my normal 1 hr with Dr. Victory on the radio where she discusses and answers covid questions daily..

And she is convinced and I've always been, for 30 some yrs, everyone would be healthier and many who have died from covid related issues, would be alive today had they had adequate/optimal Vit C, Vit C, Zinc, Quercetine and for me I've been taking Grape Seed Extract for 25 yrs, and no colds, flu or vaccines in about 30some yrs.

It's tragic but true. And our leaders are silent on this type of information.

They go off on masks, distancing, hand sanitizers and here comes the vaccines, so hang in...B.S. They are failing everyone. Newsome will pay when he is recalled which is coming.
Caroline13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 04:05 PM   #167
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

I didn't look up the acid but it's probably a preservative and I'd probably not be buying the peaches, but I'd eat them... Some preservatives are necessary for feeding our billions of population.
You probably should.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 04:09 PM   #168
whoanellie
Muse

This is hilarious.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th February 2021, 08:32 PM   #169
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
You probably should.
Just don't tell her about the Dihydrogen Monoxide!
Old 16th February 2021, 08:50 PM   #170
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I thought I had warned her.
Old 17th February 2021, 01:50 PM   #171
Blue Mountain

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
I just did a web search for dihydrogen monoxide and came across Dihydrogen Monoxide Research Division site. This is dangerous stuff! The FAQ has an extensive list of its hazards. Here's only a few of them:
  • Death due to accidental inhalation of DHMO, even in small quantities.
  • DHMO is a major component of acid rain.
  • Gaseous DHMO can cause severe burns.
  • Contamination of electrical systems often causes short-circuits.
  • Found in biopsies of pre-cancerous tumors and lesions.
  • Contact with DHMO often ruins electronic devices like computers and cell phones.
I, for one, support a ban on this noxious substance.

The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Canadian or living in Canada? PM me if you want an entry on the list of Canadians on the forum.
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 17th February 2021, 02:57 PM   #172
catsmate
No longer the 1

And she is convinced and I've always been, for 30 some yrs, everyone would be healthier and many who have died from covid related issues, would be alive today had they had adequate/optimal Vit C, Vit C, Zinc, Quercetine and for me
You're both utterly wrong.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 09:42 AM   #173
Carrot Flower King
Muse

And you wonder why some of us struggle to take you in any way seriously when you blether on with your pseudo-medical nonsense and your unevidenced assertions...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 10:52 AM   #174
Caroline13
Thinker

All you non believers in Vit C, continue your path, there will always be a good supply for use who have faith in it for our healing.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:55 AM   #175
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Carrot Flower King View Post
And you wonder why some of us struggle to take you in any way seriously when you blether on with your pseudo-medical nonsense and your unevidenced assertions...
Don't struggle, don't read my info. Where is your common sense, just insisting on bringing others down is what I see from SO MANY here. Must bring so much pleasure. Sad pleasure as I see it.
Old 18th February 2021, 10:57 AM   #176
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by bruto View Post
You probably should.
I don't have to look everything up, it's a preservative plain and simple...Anything hard to pronounce is probably not good to ingest, but foods are full of preservatives...
Old 18th February 2021, 11:11 AM   #177
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

All you non believers in Vit C, continue your path, there will always be a good supply for use who have faith in it for our healing.
I'm pretty sure there's no one contributing to this thread who doesn't believe in Vitamin C. What a bizarre thing to say. It's an essential vitamin, it's important to ensure your diet isn't deficient in it. It's just not a magic cure for everything that ails you.
Old 18th February 2021, 11:20 AM   #178
kali1137
Graduate Poster

Don't struggle, don't read my info. Where is your common sense, just insisting on bringing others down is what I see from SO MANY here. Must bring so much pleasure. Sad pleasure as I see it.
It's not about bringing others down or seeking in pleasure. It is trying to educate someone who is in dire need of it. I doubt that is likely in your case as you seem to not want to learn anything but keep spouting out the same tired misinformation. So what I see it as, is an attempt to not have people see that misinformation and believe it. Silly nonsense like Ouija boards and bigfoot cause no harm, but what you are spouting can literally get someone killed. The fact you truly don't care about that is what is most disturbing.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 11:32 AM   #179
whoanellie
Muse

I don't have to look everything up, it's a preservative plain and simple...Anything hard to pronounce is probably not good to ingest, but foods are full of preservatives...
You don't have to but you should look it up. Otherwise you are ignorant.
It's not a preservative.
Food is full of it.
It's perfectly safe to eat

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
whoanellie is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 11:36 AM   #180
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

No. Caroline. You have fallen into a monkey trap. You will not escape unless you let go of something.

Quand il dit "cuic" le moineau croit tout dire. (When he's tweeted the sparrow thinks he's said it all. (Jules Renard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 11:37 AM   #181
Carrot Flower King
Muse

You've clearly not understood a thing I've posted in any of these threads.

I've more than enough common sense, but know where it ends and you need some decent hard, repeatable evidence.

Much of what you post and claim is flat out dangerous. Pointing this out is not to bring anyone down, but to highlight the lack of evidence and danger of these claims, made by someone who eventually fessed up to be a Big Vit Shill and has clearly made faaaaaar more money from that than I have from anything pharmaceutical (for avoidance of doubt I have not made a single penny from anything pharmaceutical).

If you are brought down by folk not falling for your sales pitch and calling you out, that's for you to sort out for yourself. Personally I'd far rather you charlatans and frauds who endanger other people's lives would just shut up, but freedom of speech'n'all that...And so what you say will be questioned, freedom of speech'n'all that.

If what you claim is so brilliant there must be loads of good evidence: where is it? You've not shown it yet.

"Common sense" should tell anyone that someone who makes claims and persistently and consistently refuses to back them up is...What words am I allowed to use here?
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 11:41 AM   #182
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Are you for real?

You seriously do not know what was referred to? You wonder why I said I shouldn't take you seriously. That's why...

Hint: it is nothing like a preserrvative and you are well screwed without it.

And the "I don't like that word, 'cos it's too complicated!" is another mark on the Alt Med Bingo card...
Old 18th February 2021, 12:05 PM   #183
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
I'm pretty sure there's no one contributing to this thread who doesn't believe in Vitamin C. What a bizarre thing to say. It's an essential vitamin, it's important to ensure your diet isn't deficient in it. It's just not a magic cure for everything that ails you.
Where did the cures all come from? I don't know who said that? Good Grief.
Old 18th February 2021, 12:08 PM   #184
Caroline13
Thinker

Hey Carrot Flower King...your username is very nice and health sounding, but sure doesn't fit you and the way you come across to me anyway.
Old 18th February 2021, 12:13 PM   #185
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
It's not about bringing others down or seeking in pleasure. It is trying to educate someone who is in dire need of it. I doubt that is likely in your case as you seem to not want to learn anything but keep spouting out the same tired misinformation. So what I see it as, is an attempt to not have people see that misinformation and believe it. Silly nonsense like Ouija boards and bigfoot cause no harm, but what you are spouting can literally get someone killed. The fact you truly don't care about that is what is most disturbing.
I'm not looking to be educated here, I believe I have a very balanced life and have looked into and gone into many things in life.

How many of you experts have done sunbathing on nude beaches? Talk about getting good dosing of Vit D. And stepping out of the comfort zone that MOST live in.

And if I wanted to use a pendulum and muscle testing, what is the harm? And you people, omg
Old 18th February 2021, 12:17 PM   #186
Caroline13
Thinker

And continue to live in your Scientific Box (closed box).
Old 18th February 2021, 12:18 PM   #187
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Has anyone else considered the possibility that "Caroline13" is a complete wind up: we've got pretty much the full Alt Med/Anti-Vax Bingo Card, all the alt-med and anti-vax tropes and more; doubling down on certain egregious errors; refusing to answer questions and all the rest.

It's almost too good to be true.

Are we being played here?

PS Caroline, my user name is a song reference, but I couldn't use the full title. I had a long and, though I say so myself, pretty succesful career in healthcare. If I come across differently to you that is purely because of what you post: I'm very nice to sensible people, less so to those who persistently spout dangerous nonsense, just ask Carrot Flower Queen...
Old 18th February 2021, 12:21 PM   #188
Carrot Flower King
Muse

And another irony meter goes...

From the person who talks about open minds...

Oh, while we are here: might you like to explain why taking any form of thyroid medication without regular blood tests is in any way recommendable, therapeutically effective or safe?
Old 18th February 2021, 12:23 PM   #189
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Where did the cures all come from? I don't know who said that? Good Grief.
It's an expression. I'm just saying that statements like this

Vit C and recently added Amla (goosberry) and I absolutely know these are a major factor in my life of good health, no colds, flu and other sickness for over 30 yrs and I'm 82,
are not justified. Provided you eat sensibly, there is no evidence that taking Vitamin C supplements will significantly reduce your chances of getting sick. Assuming a connection between the two things is an example of the post hoc ergo propter hoc logical fallacy.

Last edited by Pixel42; 18th February 2021 at 01:01 PM.
Pixel42 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 12:24 PM   #190
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Has anyone else considered the possibility that "Caroline13" is a complete wind up
Yes.
Old 18th February 2021, 12:25 PM   #191
Finster
Graduate Poster

Has anyone else considered the possibility that "Caroline13" is a complete wind up: w
Yep
Old 18th February 2021, 12:35 PM   #192
kali1137
Graduate Poster

I'm not looking to be educated here, I believe I have a very balanced life and have looked into and gone into many things in life.

How many of you experts have done sunbathing on nude beaches? Talk about getting good dosing of Vit D. And stepping out of the comfort zone that MOST live in.

And if I wanted to use a pendulum and muscle testing, what is the harm? And you people, omg
And if you were just spouting pendulum and muscle testing you would likely be getting less reactions. But telling people to take vit c, don't get vaccines, don't go to doctors, don't wear masks - that ignorance puts lives at risk. You are clearly not here to learn anything, can't back up any of your claims and don't even try, so what is it you are looking for here? All you do is start a post with the same dangerous claims, refuse to back up the statements or show any proof, abandon that thread and start a new one with the same garbage - rinse and repeat.
kali1137 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 12:36 PM   #193
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Nude sunbathing has some hazards in my climate, and like many others here, I do take vitamin D. One can acknowledge the importance of vitamins and other measures without indulging in anti-vaccine hokum.

That last sentence indicates a problem I don't think you've worked out properly. There is, of course, no harm in using a pendulum and muscle testing, etc., but that is a far different thing from recommending a practice, or suggesting it has benefits which cannot be substantiated.

You have not just recommended what you do, but criticized in insulting and uncivil terms those who do otherwise.

Old 18th February 2021, 01:22 PM   #194
abaddon
Penultimate Amazing

Well. it gave me skin cancer, should I ignore that?

And now we are into the madness of dowsing. I have no idea how many times that needs to be debunked. As for the "what's the harm" citation, people die because of this nonsense, children are murdered because of this nonsense.

But that is OK with you for some reason.

...love and buttercakes...
abaddon is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th February 2021, 03:00 PM   #195
Blue Mountain

Okay, here's the reveal: the abbreviation for deoxyribonucleic acid, which you claim is a "preservative, pure and simple," is DNA. It's the literal building block of all life on Earth. Every organic thing on the planet, from the simplest bacteria to all plants and animals to the largest animal on Earth, has DNA. It's impossible to exist without it.

Assuming you're being sincere here and not merely trolling us, the highlighted shows your problem. You relied on your "common sense," refused to look something up, and made a laughable mistake. This pattern extends to many of your other pronouncements here, with the exception that many of your mistakes are not laughable, but serious enough to cause you harm.

You're clearly trying to educate us, but have no interest in expanding your knowledge base beyond your own comfort zone.

I'm amazed that you fell into such a simple trap. But given that you're unwilling to learn, or even to do a basic investigation such as looking up an unfamiliar term (instead, just making an assumption about it) shows why you fell into the trap. And why we're not taking very kindly to your posts.

As skeptics we learn not to take things at face value. We look for evidence to support our claims, and if the evidence shows otherwise we adjust our claims. "When an honest person is shown to be mistaken, that person will wither cease being mistaken or cease being honest." For our point of view, you're sadly of the latter and not the former.
Old 21st February 2021, 07:42 PM   #196
Foster Zygote
Dental Floss Tycoon

Anything hard to pronounce is probably not good to ingest...
Things like cholecalciferol or ascorbic acid?
Counterbalance in the little town of Ridgeview, Ohio. Two people permanently enslaved by the tyranny of fear and superstitution, facing the future with a kind of helpless dread. Two others facing the future with confidence - having escaped one of the darker places of the Twilight Zone.
Foster Zygote is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st February 2021, 10:09 PM   #197
bigred
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by kali1137 View Post
what you are spouting can literally get someone killed. The fact you truly don't care about that is what is most disturbing.
Welcome to the alt-med world. They aren't interested in truth or having both eyes wide (or even half-way) open; they're only interested in believing what sounds all warm and fuzzy. So what if it's wrong?

I think it's rather obvious this is a troll, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be called out and props to y'all for doing so (even if it is like beating up a 10 yr old). I've battled this group more than once with unproven quackery cancer cures (Vitamin C "megadoses" among them) and will continue to do so for the reasons you posted. Whether it's done due to trolling or ignorance almost doesn't matter; it's inexcusable either way. And slime like Mercola, Pauling et all leading the way should have been locked up the minute they started touting such BS. That they weren't is IMO a crime as well, as God knows how many lives it may have taken from vulnerable/desperate people who bought into it.

I saw a TED talk recently where the guy touched on some of this and I remember this quote: "You're entitled to your own opinions. You are not entitled to your own facts."

Science is hardly perfect, but at least it (by definition) kicks its claims in the tires with studies, tests, etc. Alt-med requires no proof, no evidence, not even rational thought. That so many people buy into it anyway is, as kali said, disturbing, to put it mildly.
bigred is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 22nd February 2021, 04:02 AM   #198
Carrot Flower King
Muse

Originally Posted by Foster Zygote View Post
Things like cholecalciferol or ascorbic acid?
Trying to run one's life based on a lack of linguistic skills must get quite tricky - pauses to have a slurp of liquid containing riboflavine, magnesium, some mono-amine oxidase inhibitors, such as beta-carboline, and a bunch of polyphenols, which my body will turn into some paraxanthines, such as theobromine and theophiline. Tastes gooooooooood!
Old 22nd February 2021, 12:24 PM   #199
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

@Caroline13

Just for the LOLs

But I would love an answer.

Could you please explain why your formula for long life is better than what I have posted from people who have lived to be 100 by smoking and drinking? Who should I believe? Why?

Old 22nd February 2021, 01:15 PM   #200
Caroline13
Thinker

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
@Caroline13

Just for the LOLs

But I would love an answer.

Could you please explain why your formula for long life is better than what I have posted from people who have lived to be 100 by smoking and drinking? Who should I believe? Why?

I don't know what you are looking for. I've made it good to 82 with some issues but all in all very grateful and live with thanks for my life.

Live to be 100, I'm not thinking that and to me that can be a Curse also.

And I never smoked, my son in law is dead at 55 and he smoked, and drank, I did my share but haven't touched any booze in maybe 8 yrs or so, don't miss it, don't need it, don't want it and the money I save. Dad drank to 2 weeks before he died, beer, and he was almost 95. Dad never smoked, this may have been his saving grace, but he was so ready to check out when he finally did.

What else do you want to know.

Last edited by Caroline13; 22nd February 2021 at 01:16 PM.

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology