ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags !MOD BOX WARNING! , Andrew McCabe , donald trump , George Papadopoulos , Michael Cohen , Paul Manafort , Robert Mueller , Trump controversies , Trump-Russia connections

Old 10th January 2019, 11:32 PM   #2561
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
This is ridiculous. Cohen should be in prison already.
What difference does it make?
He could get summoned from Prison, should Congress want to.
And it doesn't reduce his sentence.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:47 AM   #2562
smartcooky
Philosopher

This is ridiculous. Cohen should be in prison already.
1. He is still co-operating with the Special Counsel

2. He is under protection.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:48 AM   #2563
uke2se
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. He is still co-operating with the Special Counsel

2. He is under protection.
Methinks you've been "Cained".

"If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. " Karl Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies Vol. 1
uke2se is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 02:12 AM   #2564
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Why wouldn't it include Russia? I've heard congresspersons on TV already saying they are eager to ask him, under oath, whether he did or did not visit Prague. What Cohen's lawyers want is not what matters.
Cohen's lawyers didn't say he wouldn't testify about Russia; they said he couldn't.

Quote:
There may be some topics at the hearing that are off limits. House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff, who has also been seeking testimony from Cohen, told CNN that Cohen's lawyers indicated Cohen could not discuss the Russia investigation publicly, and his panel wants Cohen to testify behind closed doors.
https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/10/polit...ess/index.html

Do you really think the GOP members of the panel are going to be asking him about Russia in public not knowing what he could say? No way. The Dems are not going to possibly endanger the Mueller investigation or give Trump any indication of what they may have on him regarding Russia. No, those question they'll ask behind closed doors just as Schiff said above.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 12:06 PM   #2565
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Giuliani is . . . oh, I don't know the right word in English. Or in any other language, for that matter.

Quote:
Rudy Giuliani says President Trump’s legal team should be allowed to “correct” special counsel Robert Mueller’s final report before Congress or the American people get the chance to read it.
link
Old 11th January 2019, 12:18 PM   #2566
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Originally Posted by dasmiller View Post
Giuliani is . . . oh, I don't know the right word in English. Or in any other language, for that matter.

link
He has a point: who better than the perpetrator knows what exactly happened?
Old 11th January 2019, 12:58 PM   #2567
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
Rudy Giuliani says President Trump’s legal team should be allowed to “correct” special counsel Robert Mueller’s final report before Congress or the American people get the chance to read it.
link
I'm curious what the Trump apologists in the forum think about this. Giuliani has said some bizarre things, but this is up there as one of the most if not absurdly sick things I've ever heard.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:11 PM   #2568
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster

On the matter of Cohen avoiding certain questions in the public portions of testimony,

I think in this instance it would be a gag order from the court and would go something like "at this time I am enjoined not to discuss that matter as it would compromise other investigations."

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 11th January 2019 at 01:12 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:14 PM   #2569
Parsman
Muse

link
In Scots, the correct word is "bawbag". And he looks like one too funnily enough.

When you're dead you don't know that you're dead, all the pain is felt by others....................the same thing happens when you're stupid.
Parsman is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:15 PM   #2570
timhau
NWO Litter Technician

Location: Looks like Finland. Smells like Finland. Quacks like Finland. Where the hell am I?
Originally Posted by Parsman View Post
In Scots, the correct word is "bawbag". And he looks like one too funnily enough.
I don't know what a bawbag is, but I do know you're right.
Old 11th January 2019, 01:29 PM   #2571
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by timhau View Post
I don't know what a bawbag is, but I do know you're right.
baw is ball

bag is sack

Roughly half the population has one.

does that help?
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 01:37 PM   #2572
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
baw is ball

bag is sack

does that help?
Like Principal Skinner you mean?

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #2573
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I'm curious what the Trump apologists in the forum think about this. Giuliani has said some bizarre things, but this is up there as one of the most if not absurdly sick things I've ever heard.
It is well across the line into authoritarian government of the kind that America used to stand against. Sad.
Old 11th January 2019, 03:40 PM   #2574
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Fully?
I expect Mueller will have a minder at Cohen's shoulder.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:44 PM   #2575
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jimbob View Post
baw is ball

bag is sack

Almost all Republican Senators have had one at some point. Damn' few still do.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 03:47 PM   #2576
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by The Great Zaganza View Post
What difference does it make?
He could get summoned from Prison, should Congress want to.
And it doesn't reduce his sentence.

One of the problems with the criminal justice system is that punishment is not swift. If your kid (or alleged kid) does something wrong, you identify and correct the misbehavior rapidly; if you don't, then there's a less of a connection over what they did wrong. In addition, there's the old saying, "Justice delayed is justice denied."
Old 11th January 2019, 03:59 PM   #2577
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
The Dems are not going to possibly endanger the Mueller investigation or give Trump any indication of what they may have on him regarding Russia. No, those question they'll ask behind closed doors just as Schiff said above.
The Dems only want a closed interview so they can selectively leak what Cohen has to say.

Old 11th January 2019, 04:03 PM   #2578
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

One of the problems with the criminal justice system is that punishment is not swift. If your kid (or alleged kid) does something wrong, you identify and correct the misbehavior rapidly; if you don't, then there's a less of a connection over what they did wrong. In addition, there's the old saying, "Justice delayed is justice denied."
There's another old saying : "In the end, the lawyers got it all".

Old 11th January 2019, 04:04 PM   #2579
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

One of the problems with the criminal justice system is that punishment is not swift.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing ...

Old 11th January 2019, 04:16 PM   #2580
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
The Dems only want a closed interview so they can selectively leak what Cohen has to say.
I can't say I'd be disappointed if they did!
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:17 PM   #2581
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

How do you know it isn't swift?
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:18 PM   #2582
Bob001
Philosopher

FBI apparently started investigating Trump for selling out to Russia after he fired Comey:
Quote:
WASHINGTON — In the days after President Trump fired James B. Comey as F.B.I. director, law enforcement officials became so concerned by the president’s behavior that they began investigating whether he had been working on behalf of Russia against American interests, according to former law enforcement officials and others familiar with the investigation.

The inquiry carried explosive implications. Counterintelligence investigators had to consider whether the president’s own actions constituted a possible threat to national security. Agents also sought to determine whether Mr. Trump was knowingly working for Russia or had unwittingly fallen under Moscow’s influence.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...gtype=Homepage

I can't help but wonder if the alleged Hillary-haters in the New York FBI office have come to regret their choice.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:27 PM   #2583
snoop_doxie
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
FBI apparently started investigating Trump for selling out to Russia after he fired Comey:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/11/u...gtype=Homepage

I can't help but wonder if the alleged Hillary-haters in the New York FBI office have come to regret their choice.
Well, Sarah Sanders reply to this explosive information was to blame
Obama for not being hard on the Russians!

Bwahahahaha!

Sorry. This is going to get worse.
Old 11th January 2019, 11:12 PM   #2584
smartcooky
Philosopher

Well we know the truth now don't we... this is what triggered the appointment of the Special Counsel, and the thing that propelled it was not how much the Russians meddled in the 2016 election, but whether or not Donald J. Trump was acting as an agent of a foreign power. When you look at all the very suspicious things that Trump did, a few pieces of the jigsaw are beginning to fall into place.

> Trump calling on Russia to find missing emails

> The firing of James Comey with Trump publicly stating that he did so to stop the Russia investigation

> The secret meeting between Trump, the Russian Foreign minister and the Russian ambassador in the Oval Office where no other Americans were present.

> The Trump Tower meeting

> The secret meeting between Trump and Putin in Helsinki where no other Americans were present.

> the announcement of troop withdrawals from Syria and Afghanistan

I also wonder how much of this information has been "seeded" by Robert Mueller to lay the groundwork and prepare the public for the ****-storm he is about to release.
As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
- Henry Louis Mencken - Baltimore Evening Sun, July 26, 1920
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 12:25 AM   #2585
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Also the blabbermouth Trump's continuous and increasingly desperate punctuation mark: NO COLLUSION!

Because when Trump says something is so, you can bet the opposite is true. Also, Trump has no idea what "collusion" means. But he is being accused of it and that is bad, so he reflexively says he didn't do it. I suspect he thinks it is a sort of kinky sex act...
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 01:00 AM   #2586
Sideroxylon
Featherless biped

Originally Posted by Norman Alexander View Post
Also the blabbermouth Trump's continuous and increasingly desperate punctuation mark: NO COLLUSION!

Because when Trump says something is so, you can bet the opposite is true. Also, Trump has no idea what "collusion" means. But he is being accused of it and that is bad, so he reflexively says he didn't do it. I suspect he thinks it is a sort of kinky sex act...
Until he says he did it and it’s not illegal and besides Obama did it.
Old 12th January 2019, 01:05 AM   #2587
Norman Alexander
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Sideroxylon View Post
Until he says he did it and it’s not illegal and besides Obama did it.
Like I said - he thinks it is some kinky sex act.
...our governments are just trying to protect us from terror. In the same way that someone banging a hornets’ nest with a stick is trying to protect us from hornets. Frankie Boyle, Guardian, July 2015
Norman Alexander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 05:30 AM   #2588
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Wow, just learned in the Failing New York Times that the corrupt former leaders of the FBI, almost all fired or forced to leave the agency for some very bad reasons, opened up an investigation on me, for no reason & with no proof, after I fired Lyin’ James Comey, a total sleaze!...

...Funny thing about James Comey. Everybody wanted him fired, Republican and Democrat alike. After the rigged & botched Crooked Hillary investigation, where she was interviewed on July 4th Weekend, not recorded or sworn in, and where she said she didn’t know anything (a lie)...

....the FBI was in complete turmoil (see N.Y. Post) because of Comey’s poor leadership and the way he handled the Clinton mess (not to mention his usurpation of powers from the Justice Department). My firing of James Comey was a great day for America. He was a Crooked Cop...

.....who is being totally protected by his best friend, Bob Mueller, & the 13 Angry Democrats - leaking machines who have NO interest in going after the Real Collusion (and much more) by Crooked Hillary Clinton, her Campaign, and the Democratic National Committee. Just Watch!

Last edited by Captain_Swoop; 12th January 2019 at 05:53 AM.
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 05:46 AM   #2589
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

There's no way Trump used the word "usurpation".
Old 12th January 2019, 06:35 AM   #2590
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
There's no way Trump used the word "usurpation".
There's no way he typed all that (four tweets) in less than 30 minutes.
Old 12th January 2019, 06:41 AM   #2591
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

If proof were ever needed that Trump's team accuse people of what they are guilty of, someone in the leakiest White House ever has just accused the staff of an incredibly tight ship of being "leaking machines".
Old 12th January 2019, 07:46 AM   #2592
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Lyin’ James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter S and his lover, agent Lisa Page, & more, all disgraced and/or fired and caught in the act. These are just some of the losers that tried to do a number on your President. Part of the Witch Hunt. Remember the “insurance policy?” This is it!
Old 12th January 2019, 08:42 AM   #2593
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Lisa Page was a lawyer, not an agent, IIRC.
Old 12th January 2019, 09:04 AM   #2594
dasmiller
Just the right amount of cowbell

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

Lyin’ James Comey, Andrew McCabe, Peter S and his lover, agent Lisa Page, & more, all disgraced and/or fired and caught in the act. These are just some of the losers that tried to do a number on your President. Part of the Witch Hunt. Remember the “insurance policy?” This is it!
I'm reading that as more of a threat than a demonstration of innocence - "Look at what happened to all the people who questioned me!"
Old 12th January 2019, 09:13 AM   #2595
carlitos
"más divertido"

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
Lisa Page was a lawyer, not an agent, IIRC.

Correct. An attorney working with Mueller’s team.
carlitos is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:19 AM   #2596
sackett
Philosopher

Trumpologists? Where?

Jeeze, man, I started a whole thread to try to smoke out the Trumpfans here. We see how well that worked.

Maybe they're afraid?

What region of the earth is not filled with our calamities? -- Virgil
sackett is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:36 AM   #2597
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by sackett View Post
Jeeze, man, I started a whole thread to try to smoke out the Trumpfans here. We see how well that worked.

Maybe they're afraid?
No, they've just decided the mods are against them.
Old 12th January 2019, 10:36 AM   #2598
Regnad Kcin
Philosopher

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
Cohen says he’ll be glad to testify. Trump says he’s not worried.
Because he’s got the emergency-powers arrow squirrel in his quivver back pocket, all set to let it fly loose* on that day?

*Thank goodness, poor thing.

Last edited by Regnad Kcin; 12th January 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Regnad Kcin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 10:54 AM   #2599
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
There's no way he typed all that (four tweets) in less than 30 minutes.

I think you’re being unfair. He finished the jigsaw puzzle he was given for Christmas in only two weeks.

It said “3-5 years” on the box.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th January 2019, 11:25 AM   #2600
Cain
Straussian

Originally Posted by BobTheCoward View Post
How do you know it isn't swift?
How can we know anything? What if what you see as blue, I see as green? Or if all of this is a figment of my imagination? Or if I'm the figment of someone else's imagination?

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics