ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 11th January 2019, 03:53 AM   #1241
chrispy
Muse

Originally Posted by erwinl View Post
Well,

According to Wikipedia, between 2014 and 2016 a total of 23613 Amercans got a permanent residency in Mexico. That amounts, on average, to 227 per week.
If there is some extra migration after 2016, it could very wel be some 300 americans leaving the USA per week.

So. Is Trump's wall a Chinese wall, to keep out foreigners, or is it an East German wall to keep in US citizens?
Shhhhhhhhh.... Don't **** my life up!!
chrispy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 04:24 AM   #1242
erwinl
Master Poster

Originally Posted by chrispy View Post
Shhhhhhhhh.... Don't **** my life up!!
I won't tell if you won't.
Old 11th January 2019, 04:30 AM   #1243
Aridas
Crazy Little Green Dragon

Mmm. No one could have seen this coming. Trump stiffed contractors for billions last year as well...and they're winning lawsuits

The end honestly sums up the important part of it, even if it's repeating the title.

Quote:
Anyway, the point is that Donald Trump promised to run the federal government the way he ran his businesses...and it appears that this is one promise that he's actually keeping: Stiffing contractors out of money they're contractually owed, forcing them to turn to costly litigation to get paid.
Old 11th January 2019, 05:52 AM   #1244
Tero
Graduate Poster

Is the wall up yet? Did Trump stiff the contractors? I had to sleep a few hours, could not keep up with the frenetic pace.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 05:56 AM   #1245
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
You aren't posting pro-Trump falsehoods.
I don't see how that's relevant. Someone can be as interested as I am about Trump but come to a different conclusion. I don't see what's odd or wrong with that per se.

"My views are nonsense. So what?" - BobTheCoward

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:01 AM   #1246
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
Hitler never won an election to my knowledge. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. He lost but Hindenburg who did win ceded power as Chancellor to Hitler and two years later Hitler declared himself Fuhrer or Emperor and that was that until he died in the bunker in 45.

They never had another election for the leader of Germany.
Well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_...deral_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Novemb...ntary_election

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_G...and_referendum

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1938_G...and_referendum

All rigged, of course.

Belz... is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:05 AM   #1247
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by Tsukasa Buddha View Post
Lindsey Graham deserves distinction for his sycophancy. He's now the chair of the Judiciary Committee after his defense of Kavanaugh. He went from criticizing Trump over Syria to supporting him on it. And now he is calling for Trump to use emergency powers to overrule Congress.

Linky.
So Graham's Jar-Jar to Trump's Palpatine?

Old 11th January 2019, 06:11 AM   #1248
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

I often said during rallies, with little variation, that “Mexico will pay for the Wall.” We have just signed a great new Trade Deal with Mexico. It is Billions of Dollars a year better than the very bad NAFTA deal which it replaces. The difference pays for Wall many times over!

H1-B holders in the United States can rest assured that changes are soon coming which will bring both simplicity and certainty to your stay, including a potential path to citizenship. We want to encourage talented and highly skilled people to pursue career options in the U.S.
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:19 AM   #1249
PhantomWolf
Penultimate Amazing

Am I the only one with the feeling that Trump has no idea how International Trade actually works?

It must be fun to lead a life completely unburdened by reality. -- JayUtah
I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question. -- Charles Babbage (1791-1871)

PhantomWolf is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:21 AM   #1250
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

I often said during rallies, with little variation, that “Mexico will pay for the Wall.” We have just signed a great new Trade Deal with Mexico. It is Billions of Dollars a year better than the very bad NAFTA deal which it replaces. The difference pays for Wall many times over!

H1-B holders in the United States can rest assured that changes are soon coming which will bring both simplicity and certainty to your stay, including a potential path to citizenship. We want to encourage talented and highly skilled people to pursue career options in the U.S.
If anyone was curious, this is what was on his campaign website in 2016 for pay for the wall..

Quote:
It's an easy decision for Mexico: make a one-time payment of $5-10 billion to ensure that $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year. There are several ways to compel Mexico to pay for the wall including the following:
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:23 AM   #1251
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian

Trump Tweets

Ah, now i understand. The wall money from Congress is just a loan, and they'll get it back once the Mexican trade money starts coming in. Brilliant!
Old 11th January 2019, 06:25 AM   #1252
Belz...
Fiend God

Trump Tweets

We lose 300 Americans a week, 90% of which comes through the Southern Border. These numbers will be DRASTICALLY REDUCED if we have a Wall!
...what?

Is he trying to keep Americans in? I don't get it.

Old 11th January 2019, 06:27 AM   #1253
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
Thanks for the info. I had been doing it from memory. But my feeble mind could not recall all the details.
Old 11th January 2019, 06:30 AM   #1254
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
They have made concessions. Trump refused them outright.

You keep ignoring the facts in order to maintain your opinion.
Trump ostensibly wants the government opened. Democrats would be happy to concede a bill opening the government and give him what he wants on that.
BobTheCoward is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 06:42 AM   #1255
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post
Am I the only one with the feeling that Trump has no idea how International Trade actually works?
I'd be surprised to learn Trump knows how doorknobs work. Which is uncharitable of me as he may possess the understanding but be foiled by his tiny crinkled paws.
Old 11th January 2019, 06:58 AM   #1256
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Okay, this one's weird. The first seems like him, with the capitalized Billions, the unnecessary "very bad" and the general failure to math. The second seems like someone else. It's too grammatically correct and includes some well written ambiguity for racist interpretations: "everyone GTFO" would also add "simplicity and certainty" to their stay, and there's no indication that the "talented and highly skilled people" they want to have overlap with the people who are already here.

How much time was there between these twits?
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:01 AM   #1257
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by PhantomWolf View Post

That has been abundantly clear from the way he constantly talks about China paying the tariffs he imposed.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:04 AM   #1258
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
How much time was there between these twits?
35 minutes
Captain_Swoop is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:08 AM   #1259
Firestone
Proud Award Award recipient

Originally Posted by Beelzebuddy View Post
Okay, this one's weird. The first seems like him, with the capitalized Billions, the unnecessary "very bad" and the general failure to math. The second seems like someone else. It's too grammatically correct and includes some well written ambiguity for racist interpretations: "everyone GTFO" would also add "simplicity and certainty" to their stay, and there's no indication that the "talented and highly skilled people" they want to have overlap with the people who are already here.
(bolding mine)

Hypothesis: Stephen Miller wrote it.
Old 11th January 2019, 07:08 AM   #1260
Beelzebuddy
Philosopher

35 minutes
Then I'm leaning toward A being Trump and B being Miller.

[ETA] Jinx!
Beelzebuddy is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:49 AM   #1261
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
I'm having trouble parsing this bit
I'm guessing that he's saying 300 murders per week are due to illegal immigrants.

The first figures I found said that somewhat under 16,000 murders occurred in 2014. Assuming that not much has changed, that's about 300 murders per week. So, I suppose that more or less all murders are caused by illegal immigrants.

Given this fact, I guess I must change my mind. Build the wall!

ETA: As others have suggested, perhaps he was talking about heroin.

Last edited by phiwum; 11th January 2019 at 08:02 AM.
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 07:59 AM   #1262
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by smartcooky View Post
1. Over 90% of all Mexican cartel drugs that come in across the US-Mexican border do so through the legitimate ports of entry on the border, smuggled in in trucks and vehicles. A wall is not going to make any difference to this.
Are you sure about the statistic? According to this 2017 DHS slide deck, in 2016, it was 78% coming through ports of entry. Obviously, that's a large majority.

There is an additional concern, I suppose. We're measuring seizures. If going over the border away from a port of entry is genuinely effective, then a smaller percentage will be seized there than at the ports, so our metric would be misleading.

None of this is to say I support the wall, of course. I don't believe it's an effective way to control drug smuggling or, really, any of the other aims Trump has (aside from motivating his base, for which it seems quite effective).
phiwum is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 08:02 AM   #1263
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Just an aside -- Saw Ted Cruz at The PDJT's border visit yesterday.
I have to say the beard suits him well. Looks great!
Old 11th January 2019, 08:12 AM   #1264
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Rudy Giuliani says President Trump’s legal team should be allowed to “correct” special counsel Robert Mueller’s final report before Congress or the American people get the chance to read it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-final-mueller

Seems legit...
TheSupermeerkat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 08:19 AM   #1265
autumn1971
Master Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post
Rudy Giuliani says President Trump’s legal team should be allowed to “correct” special counsel Robert Mueller’s final report before Congress or the American people get the chance to read it.

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-final-mueller

Seems legit...
Of course. Just like they should be allowed to correct jury verdicts, economic facts, poll results, election counts...
'A knave; a rascal; an eater of broken meats; a base, proud, shallow, beggardly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave; a lily-livered, action-taking knave, a whoreson, glass-gazing, superservicable, finical rogue;... the son and heir of a mongral bitch: one whom I will beat into clamorous whining, if thou deniest the least syllable of thy addition."'
-The Bard
autumn1971 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 08:25 AM   #1266
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

Originally Posted by Foolmewunz View Post
Nice try but that's an old and idiotic debating tactic of woo-slingers and reactionaries. We're discussing YOUR foolish ideas.

If you want to discuss my foolish ideas, have at 'em.

Yeah, I have a solution. Trump gives in. And he will. This is all about re-election. As he begins to take honest note of ACTUAL (not pretend) polls and sees the minus number climbing (12% more on the RCP Average in the "Don't Approve" category and 12.8% more on fivethirtyeight) and even Rasmussen showing his die-hard supporters no longer supporting him.... He now has to weigh the yuge campaign value of having delivered on his Wall, versus the ridicule value of continuing this fight and losing later and not having a wall to pose in front of in 2020.
Ah, foolish ideas indeed.
“As he begins to take honest note of ACTUAL polls.”
I am alaways amazed when other posters write about President DJT understanding and accepting facts before weighing them carefully to rationally decide on a course of action. As if everything he has been doing since elected is merely an act - a sham which he will drop once he understands the seriousness of the situation.

He has created a world where he is not exposed to unpleasant facts. And when those facts do make it into the Oval Office, he confidently ignores them.

I am not a doctor and I have never met the president so I cannot say that he most assuredly has a mental illness. But I will say he is doing an uncannily accurate impersonation of someone suffering from Narcissic Persinality Disorder. The man needs help, not actual poll numbers.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:15 AM   #1267
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by phiwum View Post
Are you sure about the statistic? According to this 2017 DHS slide deck, in 2016, it was 78% coming through ports of entry. Obviously, that's a large majority.

There is an additional concern, I suppose. We're measuring seizures. If going over the border away from a port of entry is genuinely effective, then a smaller percentage will be seized there than at the ports, so our metric would be misleading.

None of this is to say I support the wall, of course. I don't believe it's an effective way to control drug smuggling or, really, any of the other aims Trump has (aside from motivating his base, for which it seems quite effective).
From that slide... wow.

 Common between the ports smuggling methods
– Backpackers (Main method)
– Air cannons, trebuchets & catapults (100-300 meters)
– Tunnel (basic to complex)
– Ultralights & UAVs
– Ramps

Trebuchets!!! Seriously, wow.
lobosrul5 is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:22 AM   #1268
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

the way to control drug trafficking is to control demand, as countless examples have shown.
Americans addicted to painkillers would love nothing more than a program that provides care and substitutes that will allow them to continue their life.
But the Trump administration is going hardcore in the opposite direction.
Old 11th January 2019, 09:38 AM   #1269
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
Just an aside -- Saw Ted Cruz at The PDJT's border visit yesterday.
I have to say the beard suits him well. Looks great!
Anything that serves to hide that face will look good.

Old 11th January 2019, 09:39 AM   #1270
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by autumn1971 View Post
Of course. Just like they should be allowed to correct jury verdicts, economic facts, poll results, election counts...
....inauguration attendance...

Old 11th January 2019, 09:43 AM   #1271
Jerrymander
Critical Thinker

There's speculation that Trump's harping on the border wall and the shutdown could cost him in 2020. He keep trying to please his base and the radical fringes that he's turning off moderates and swing voters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-votes/579952/
Jerrymander is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 09:45 AM   #1272
Hellbound
Merchant of Doom

Location: Not in Hell, but I can see it from here on a clear day...
Originally Posted by Jerrymander View Post
There's speculation that Trump's harping on the border wall and the shutdown could cost him in 2020. He keep trying to please his base and the radical fringes that he's turning off moderates and swing voters.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...-votes/579952/
In other news, reporters in Palm Beach have confirmed, via personal experience, that the water in the ocean is still wet. Stay tuned for our in-depth reporting at 11:00: Fire-hot or not?

Hellbound is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:01 AM   #1273
CapelDodger
Penultimate Amazing

smartcooky did refer to cartel drugs. I expect what's moved across country comes from smaller players.

God can make a cow out of a tree, but has He ever done so? Therefore show some reason why a thing is so, or cease to hold that it is so - William of Conches, c1150
CapelDodger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:05 AM   #1274
JoeMorgue
Self Employed
Remittance Man

What does "non-political" even mean these days, indeed what did it mean ever?

"Politics" is not some walled up separate pocket universe that doesn't affect the rest of... everything.

"Stupidity does not cancel out stupidity to yield genius. It breeds like a bucket-full of coked out hamsters." - The Oatmeal
JoeMorgue is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:10 AM   #1275
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

Trump won't get the Wall build via a National Emergency, since the Pentagon won't let him divert billions and billions away from Defense to his sandcastle - and it will put pressure on the Senate to stop him if he tries.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:13 AM   #1276
phiwum
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by CapelDodger View Post
smartcooky did refer to cartel drugs. I expect what's moved across country comes from smaller players.
Maybe so. I don't know how to verify that.

But, in any case, we're talking about an overstatement that isn't all that essential to his primary point. I was just surprised by the figure he claimed.
Old 11th January 2019, 10:17 AM   #1277
Belz...
Fiend God

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
"Politics" is not some walled up separate pocket universe that doesn't affect the rest of... everything.
These days, it seems to me like politics are the continuation of war by other means.

Maybe so. I don't know how to verify that.
Ha ha, you suck!

Old 11th January 2019, 10:31 AM   #1278
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Belz... View Post
These days, it seems to me like politics are the continuation of war by other means.
It has usually been thus.

Why do you think there are two red lines in the House of Commons?

Quote:
Members may speak only from where they were called, which must be within the House. They may not speak from the floor of the House between the red lines (traditional supposed to be two sword-lengths apart). Also, the Speaker will not call a Member in the gallery if there is room downstairs. Members must stand whilst speaking but if they are unable to do so they are allowed to address the House seated.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 11th January 2019, 10:37 AM   #1279
BobTheCoward
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
What does "non-political" even mean these days, indeed what did it mean ever?

Earlier I wrote that there does not exist a national emergency that is non political....even 9/11 or a hurricane. Do you extend that far or is there a limit?
Old 11th January 2019, 10:46 AM   #1280
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Humanitarian Crisis at our Southern Border. I just got back and it is a far worse situation than almost anyone would understand, an invasion! I have been there numerous times - The Democrats, Cryin’ Chuck and Nancy don’t know how bad and dangerous it is for our ENTIRE COUNTRY....

...The Steel Barrier, or Wall, should have been built by previous administrations long ago. They never got it done - I will. Without it, our Country cannot be safe. Criminals, Gangs, Human Traffickers, Drugs & so much other big trouble can easily pour in. It can be stopped cold!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics