ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 30th December 2018, 12:00 PM   #161
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Let's get to reality here. The organisers who interrupted Patel's show never mentioned anything except the black and gay joke. If this were an accumulation thing they would have mentioned other things.
The communication from the organizers was probably just one person spitting something out on the fly. It's irrelevant. Numerous people have reported additional, identical issues. If you wish to just ignore that, or if you choose to believe they're all lying or whatever, that's your choice, though.

Quote:
This was nothing more than SJWs attempting ti destroy someone's life.
Asking a bombing comedian to get off your stage isn't trying to "destroy someone's life."

If the comedian is that sensitive and fragile, that such an incident will be perceived as some kind of attempt at personal destruction, he might want to only do gigs where the people hiring him sign some sort of contract ensuring that the appearance of his reception is positive.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 12:46 PM   #162
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,664
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Asking a bombing comedian to get off your stage isn't trying to "destroy someone's life."
This does show a resounding pattern I've noticed, though - the more someone accuses others of being "SJWs", the more likely they are to be oversensitive to any sort of criticism or even labeling.

Granted, it's an informal observation, and not backed up by any study, but even so...
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 12:52 PM   #163
Thermal
Philosopher
 
Thermal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NJ USA. We Don't Like You Either
Posts: 6,703
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
This does show a resounding pattern I've noticed, though - the more someone accuses others of being "SJWs", the more likely they are to be oversensitive to any sort of criticism or even labeling.

Granted, it's an informal observation, and not backed up by any study, but even so...
Isn't it more the baseless and hyper-judgemental things that get labelled SJW in the first place, though? Sensitivity to further baseless judging is more frustration that one is not being heard.
__________________
"Half of what he said meant something else, and the other half didn't mean anything at all" -Rosencrantz, on Hamlet
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 01:25 PM   #164
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Let's get to reality here. The organisers who interrupted Patel's show never mentioned anything except the black and gay joke. If this were an accumulation thing they would have mentioned other things.
...cite for this?

Here is the official statement:

Quote:
Official Statement Regarding cultureSHOCK 2018

As an organization, we first want to acknowledge the incredible, hard work of the models, designers, student performers, and directors involved with cultureSHOCK. This showcase could not have happened without you and you helped send an important message about empowerment. Thank you all so much.

Next, we want to address the performance of Nimesh Patel. His remarks did not align with the mission and message of Asian American Alliance and cultureSHOCK. Asian American Alliance stands for the political, social, and personal empowerment of Asian Americans as well as other marginalized groups. We seek to explore and understand Asian Americans’ places within current and historical political discussions in order to organize in the most effective ways that we can. cultureSHOCK is a celebration of identity and a space of inclusion.

Patel’s remarks ran counter to the inclusive spirit and integrity of cultureSHOCK and as such, the choice was made to invite him to leave. We acknowledge that discomfort and safety can coexist, however, the discomfort Patel caused was unproductive in this space. We ourselves are still processing the events of cultureSHOCK and maintain different perspectives on it even within our organization. We invite and welcome dialogue concerning his remarks and our actions.

That being said, we deeply apologize for inviting him in the first place and bringing these comments into a space for inclusion and acceptance. We apologize for the hurt his words caused members of the community. We also apologize for being inarticulate as we invited him to leave and that we fell back on an excuse that implicated Lerner Tech, a group not concerned in the issue. This has been a learning experience that we will take with us as we plan future events.

We want to thank everyone who supported the event so much, as a charity showcase we were able to raise nearly $4000 for the Asian American Writer’s Workshop, which we hope will go on to support Asian American artists and positively impact the Asian American community. We are endlessly proud of the show that we produced, particularly the fashion show, and our directors. It was one of the most impressive to date, and the work put into it, and especially the other sections of the show, should not be overlooked.
https://www.facebook.com/ColumbiaAAA...7658?__tn__=-R

No mention of the black and gay joke. From the OP:

Quote:
I emailed AAA to ask what exactly Patel said that was so offensive; the group sent me a statement that did not clarify matters.

The Spectator, though, lists one of the allegedly inappropriate jokes:
https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/c...ts-kick-snl-co

So Reason had a statement from the AAA but they chose not to publish.

So where did the organizers mention the black and the gay joke?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 02:30 PM   #165
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
The communication from the organizers was probably just one person spitting something out on the fly. It's irrelevant. Numerous people have reported additional, identical issues. If you wish to just ignore that, or if you choose to believe they're all lying or whatever, that's your choice, though.

Asking a bombing comedian to get off your stage isn't trying to "destroy someone's life."
He wasn't bombing. Audience member Elle Ferguson stated the audience was clearly split and that she had heard the jokes before and none elicited that response before. She was clearly enjoying the show and not offended at all.

ETA: Quote from another audience member:
Quote:
One student told PJ: ‘Although [my friends and I] weren’t laughing at the jokes, we were all surprised when he got kicked off. None of us were thinking: “god this is so bad someone should get rid of him.
I was very surprised. Either that means I’m not as sensitive as I should be, or the whole thing was just dramatic."
Quote:
If the comedian is that sensitive and fragile, that such an incident will be perceived as some kind of attempt at personal destruction, he might want to only do gigs where the people hiring him sign some sort of contract ensuring that the appearance of his reception is positive.
That's probably the stupidest thing I've heard all year. You're suggesting that someone who books Metallic for a performance has every right to be offended that they don't hear Lawrence Welk hits from the 1950s, when they go to a showing of Van Gogh's art and don't see any Picassos, or go to McDonald's and are unable to order a Whopper.

They brought him in as a token without doing their homework and are now blaming him. sorry, it's just typical SJW ********..
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."

Last edited by qayak; 30th December 2018 at 02:37 PM.
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 02:37 PM   #166
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
He wasn't bombing. Audience member Elle Ferguson stated the audience was clearly split and that she had heard the jokes before and none elicited that response before. She was clearly enjoying the show and not offended at all.
Just because the routine went better a different night doesn't mean he wasn't bombing that night.

Quote:
That's probably the stupidest thing I've heard all year. You're suggesting that someone who books Metallic for a performance has every right to be offended that they don't hear Lawrence Welk hits from the 1950s, when they go to a showing of Van Gogh's art and don't see any Picassos, or go to McDonald's and are unable to order a Whopper.

They brought him in as a token without doing their homework and are now blaming him. sorry, it's just typical SJW ********..
They brought him in expecting him to be funny.

He failed at that and is now crying "persecution" simply because he was asked to just get off the stage so they could move on.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 02:42 PM   #167
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Also:

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
she had heard the jokes before and none elicited that response before.
Did he do this before, too?

Quote:
spiel about how we need to learn about the “real world.” I thought, “Relax, you just got on stage.” Patel presented himself as arrogant and almost contemptuous toward the audience he was meant to entertain. Later, he even said, “Well, I’m already paid,” setting the tone of his performance.
Regarding your eta, the quote begins:

Quote:
Although [my friends and I] weren’t laughing at the jokes,
One more time for the people in the back of the room:

Quote:
‘Although [my friends and I] weren’t laughing at the jokes,
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:22 PM   #168
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Also:



Did he do this before, too?
Yes. He is a professional comedian and he has told jokes before.

Quote:
Regarding your eta, the quote begins:



One more time for the people in the back of the room:
Here's another audience member's recounting of the story:

Quote:
On Friday 11/30/18, I attended an event at Columbia hosted by the Asian American Alliance (AAA) called Cultureshock [ https://www.facebook.com/events/198758744268078/ ]. The guest speaker was Nimesh Patel, a comedian who is the first Indian American writer for SNL. Patel was the final act of the night. He gave a stand-up comedy routine that focused on race and other sensitive issues. His performance was essentially this Youtube video of him performing on Seth Meyers [ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=be4lDwh0kGY ] but in real-life – most of the jokes in the video were recycled during the live act. I was laughing hysterically, as were many people, when suddenly, during the middle of his routine, the three stooges from AAA appeared on stage out of nowhere and told him that there was a change of plans and that he had to stop.
One more time for the people in the back:

Quote:
I was laughing hysterically, as were many people . . .
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:32 PM   #169
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Just because the routine went better a different night doesn't mean he wasn't bombing that night.

They brought him in expecting him to be funny.

He failed at that and is now crying "persecution" simply because he was asked to just get off the stage so they could move on.
You're just making it up as you go, but even if he was bombing, people paid to see him and a couple SJWs do not have the right to decide what other adults are allowed to see.

"Expecting him to be funny . . . " It was standard fair for his routine! Didn't they know anything about him outside of his being a writer for SNL? Pretty poor organisation there. Those videos are available. Not a single organiser had the brains to have a look and see what they were paying for?

I have noticed that you have abandoned the whole notion that he was racist or homophobic though, so I guess there is slight hope.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:40 PM   #170
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Yes. He is a professional comedian and he has told jokes before.
Do you have evidence that lecturing the audience about the "real world", etc is part of his standard routine?


Quote:
Here's another audience member's recounting of the story:
Who's the author of that quote?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:43 PM   #171
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
You're just making it up as you go,
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
The organisers who interrupted Patel's show never mentioned anything except the black and gay joke. If this were an accumulation thing they would have mentioned other things.
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...cite for this?

Here is the official statement:



https://www.facebook.com/ColumbiaAAA...7658?__tn__=-R

No mention of the black and gay joke. From the OP:



https://reason.com/blog/2018/12/04/c...ts-kick-snl-co

So Reason had a statement from the AAA but they chose not to publish.

So where did the organizers mention the black and the gay joke?
...do you have a cite for the organizers stating the black and gay joke was why they asked Patel to leave the stage?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:46 PM   #172
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
They brought him in expecting him to be funny.
I doubt it. They brought him in because of his name and position, nothing else. He, no doubt, signed on expecting that an event called Cultureshock: Reclaim wouldn't be a hiding place for a bunch of SJW sissies. Well, they got a shock out of it.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:48 PM   #173
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...do you have a cite for the organizers stating the black and gay joke was why they asked Patel to leave the stage?
It was in your second link, halfway down.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:49 PM   #174
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
a couple SJWs do not have the right to decide what other adults are allowed to see.
The people who run events such as this reserve the right to kick people off their stage if they so choose, even if it hurts the feelings of the performer. Sorry.


Quote:
I have noticed that you have abandoned the whole notion that he was racist or homophobic though, so I guess there is slight hope.
You have to voice support for a notion to abandon it.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:50 PM   #175
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by me
They brought him in expecting him to be funny.
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I doubt it.
He was brought in as a comedian doing a stand up act, wasn't he?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:52 PM   #176
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
It was in your second link, halfway down.
...the Reason article cites the statement from the AAA, which I cited in my first link and I quoted in its entirety. I can't see what you are talking about. I might be missing it. Can you quote exactly what they said?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:56 PM   #177
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
Do you have evidence that lecturing the audience about the "real world", etc is part of his standard routine?
That came after he was interrupted. See, they use what happened after he was interrupted to justify why he was interrupted.

Quote:
Who's the author of that quote?
The author is the person who filmed Patel being asked to leave the stage. He gives a running dialogue of what went down and of the set here:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...bia/vp-BBRdtgH
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 04:57 PM   #178
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...the Reason article cites the statement from the AAA, which I cited in my first link and I quoted in its entirety. I can't see what you are talking about. I might be missing it. Can you quote exactly what they said?
Oh FFS! Watch the video! The woman who told him to leave specifically brings up the joke about being black and gay at about the 30 second mark.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:00 PM   #179
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
He was brought in as a comedian doing a stand up act, wasn't he?
No because there are a lot of comedians but they were only interested in the Asian guy who wrote for SNL. They didn't ask any of the other SNL writers or any other comedians. They made a very specific point about his being the first Asian writer for SNL.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:03 PM   #180
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
You have to voice support for a notion to abandon it.
So the SJWs lied! He wasn't being kicked off because he was offensive as the woman kicking him off stated, or as the official statement stated, but because he wasn't funny in your learned opinion!

Well, doesn't that clear things up.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:03 PM   #181
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
That came after he was interrupted. See, they use what happened after he was interrupted to justify why he was interrupted.
Apparently that was when they cut his mic, prompting him to leave.

It looks like he was interrupted after inappropriately grilling an audience member, and after:

Quote:
he realized he told a dud and said the room got tense and transitioned into trashing white people and Republicans. Mike Pence hates gays because he is gay. Some white people think “The South will rise!”. Said that the audience was giving him a Democratic vibe.
Dude bombed.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:04 PM   #182
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Oh FFS! Watch the video! The woman who told him to leave specifically brings up the joke about being black and gay at about the 30 second mark.
...oh FFS. There is no video in my second link. If you are referring to something else then do us all a favour and link to that, as per my request.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:07 PM   #183
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,725
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
So the SJWs lied! He wasn't being kicked off because he was offensive as the woman kicking him off stated, or as the official statement stated, but because he wasn't funny in your learned opinion!

Well, doesn't that clear things up.
If everyone or almost everyone had been laughing instead of squirming, it would all be a non-issue.

Different people behind the decision to interrupt him and then just cut his mic probably have different takes on the question of in which ways he was sucking the worst.

It ain't the end of the world.

Nobody is or was trying to ruin his life.

It was just a sucky performance cut off short.

Life goes on.

Get over it.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:22 PM   #184
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...oh FFS. There is no video in my second link. If you are referring to something else then do us all a favour and link to that, as per my request.
I never said there was a video in your second link. There is only one video on the internet of him being kicked off. I linked it in one of my last posts. My mistake was assuming you were bothering to inform yourself and not just trolling.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:23 PM   #185
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by kellyb View Post
If everyone or almost everyone had been laughing instead of squirming, it would all be a non-issue.

Different people behind the decision to interrupt him and then just cut his mic probably have different takes on the question of in which ways he was sucking the worst.

It ain't the end of the world.

Nobody is or was trying to ruin his life.

It was just a sucky performance cut off short.

Life goes on.

Get over it.
Still making it up. Good job, Skeptic!
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 05:54 PM   #186
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...do you have a cite for the organizers stating the black and gay joke was why they asked Patel to leave the stage?
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
It was in your second link, halfway down.
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...the Reason article cites the statement from the AAA, which I cited in my first link and I quoted in its entirety. I can't see what you are talking about. I might be missing it. Can you quote exactly what they said?
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Oh FFS! Watch the video! The woman who told him to leave specifically brings up the joke about being black and gay at about the 30 second mark.
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...oh FFS. There is no video in my second link. If you are referring to something else then do us all a favour and link to that, as per my request.
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I never said there was a video in your second link.
...what the ****?

Quote:
There is only one video on the internet of him being kicked off.
And the reason you didn't post that in response to my initial question was because?

Quote:
I linked it in one of my last posts. My mistake was assuming you were bothering to inform yourself and not just trolling.
Not trolling at all. It was a simple question for ***** sakes. Are you talking about this link?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/...bia/vp-BBRdtgH

At 30 seconds one of the organisers gave one example of why he was being asked to leave: Patel immediately interrupted her, didn't let her finish her sentence and she never said another word after that. Patel was overbearing and intimidating and has a "generation" more experience at silencing people and he did that here.

At 1.01 in the video you can see an example of a joke that BOMBED. I suspect the rest of the set went equally as badly as that moment.

At 2.27 he was clearly expecting a clap and applause: he didn't get it. Because he was an ********. And he was bombing.

So no, I don't think your characterization of what happened is a fair one. The organizer may well have given other examples but Patel didn't let the organizers speak.

And the reaction of the audience says it all really.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 06:04 PM   #187
Mycroft
High Priest of Ed
 
Mycroft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 19,454
It seems like it should be possible to find a video of this performance. Patel said his crew recorded it. In his interview with Joe Rogan he said it was available on you-tube, but I am unable to locate it.
Mycroft is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 06:36 PM   #188
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,917
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
It seems like it should be possible to find a video of this performance. Patel said his crew recorded it. In his interview with Joe Rogan he said it was available on you-tube, but I am unable to locate it.
That's because Patel was talking out of his ass in a desperate attempt to spin things, but then contradicts himself. He also lets out more information than he thinks he is, which supports some of the accusations in the critical accounts of the performance.

Maybe it is out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it either.

The SJHaters are in full on victimhood mode though, so I don't hold out hope of them accepting any evidence against their pet explanation. In that light, I don't think the video would help.

For as long as I've been doing comedy you'd think I'd be used to it by now, but it never fails to amaze me how thin-skinned so many performers actually are to be in an activity that requires a ton of resilience to even attempt.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:25 PM   #189
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
At 30 seconds one of the organisers gave one example of why he was being asked to leave: Patel immediately interrupted her, didn't let her finish her sentence and she never said another word after that. Patel was overbearing and intimidating and has a "generation" more experience at silencing people and he did that here.
At least be honest. The woman brings up the exact joke mentioned in the article. Patel rebuts because the joke is clearly not offensive in any way, shape or form.

Now initially the woman claims she is cutting the set short because she has to leave earlier than she thought. She quickly changes that, probably when she realised how stupid it sounded even to her.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 08:31 PM   #190
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
For as long as I've been doing comedy. . .
Cool. Got any links to your material?

Patel isn't my taste in comedy, just too vanilla.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 09:00 PM   #191
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
At least be honest.
...I am being honest.

Quote:
The woman brings up the exact joke mentioned in the article. Patel rebuts because the joke is clearly not offensive in any way, shape or form.
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Let's get to reality here. The organisers who interrupted Patel's show never mentioned anything except the black and gay joke. If this were an accumulation thing they would have mentioned other things.
Your claim wasn't that "the woman brings up the exact joke mentioned in the article." Your claim was that the organizers never mentioned anything except the black and gay joke, and that If this were an accumulation thing they would have mentioned other things. But I've watched the video. And it is clear that Patel interrupted the organizer then shouted over the top of her to prevent her from saying anything else.

It is clear that Patel doesn't remember shouting over the top of the organizer which is why he characterizes that joke as the reason why he was asked to leave the stage. But we can see what actually happened. The AAA have given their reasons why he was asked to leave the stage and we've heard from people in the audience that have given more background into some of the things he did during his set. And we've got video that shows that Patel had completely lost the audience.

Quote:
Now initially the woman claims she is cutting the set short because she has to leave earlier than she thought. She quickly changes that, probably when she realised how stupid it sounded even to her.
Yep. She was being polite. He could have saved face and left the stage at that point but he chose not too.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 09:10 PM   #192
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
But I've watched the video. And it is clear that Patel interrupted the organizer then shouted over the top of her to prevent her from saying anything else.
You are not being honest. To claim that Patel was removed because he talked over some SJW is BS. That happened after they stopped his performance. Simple reasoning says that something that happened after can't be the cause.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 09:29 PM   #193
Lambchops
Graduate Poster
 
Lambchops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Norvegr
Posts: 1,132
Why are we still taking people who unironically use the term "SJW" seriously?

What's next? Engage in debate with people who throw in "cuck" in every single sentence?

Reality is not 4chan.
__________________
Cracking eggs and shooting children in the head is the exact same thing.
Lambchops is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 09:41 PM   #194
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by Lambchops View Post
Why are we still taking people who unironically use the term "SJW" seriously?
Because SJWs desperately need to spin the facts to fit a particular narrative and without engaging me you can't do that. But I'm flexible, I can trade the SJW label to "Extreme Left Wingnut" if you prefer. My conservative friends call me "commie," "pinko," and even [gasp] "liberal" because I am so far left in my leanings but Christ, you lot have taken it into looking glass territory with this stupidity.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 10:05 PM   #195
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
You are not being honest.
...I am being honest.

Quote:
To claim that Patel was removed because he talked over some SJW is BS.
This is not my claim.

Quote:
That happened after they stopped his performance. Simple reasoning says that something that happened after can't be the cause.
Who are you talking too? Do you want to address my actual post, or are you content to be shaking your fist and yelling into mid-air?

Quote:
Because SJWs desperately need to spin the facts to fit a particular narrative and without engaging me you can't do that.
We are engaging you. I'm not spinning anything. I'm addressing the words you have said.

Quote:
But I'm flexible, I can trade the SJW label to "Extreme Left Wingnut" if you prefer.
I'm a proud Social Justice Warrior and you can take that title from me from my Cold. Dead. Hands.

Quote:
My conservative friends call me "commie," "pinko," and even [gasp] "liberal" because I am so far left in my leanings but Christ, you lot have taken it into looking glass territory with this stupidity.
Perhaps if you stopped playing the identity politics game you could slow down on the virtue-signalling enough to be able to listen to what we are actually saying instead of inventing things. I attempted to have a civil conversation with you. I don't think that anything I've said (to this point) has been unreasonable. But you really have decided to double down, haven't you?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th December 2018, 11:52 PM   #196
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...I am being honest.
not by half.

Quote:
This is not my claim.
Quote:
But we can see what actually happened.
No you can't! There is no video until after he was asked to leave. In that video the woman claims his black/gay joke was offensive. He obviously wasn't asked to leave because he talked over her. That happened after he was asked to end his performance.

Quote:
Who are you talking too? Do you want to address my actual post, or are you content to be shaking your fist and yelling into mid-air?
What was the point of bringing up his talking over the woman then? It happened after his set was stopped. If it doesn't make any point why do you bring it up?

Quote:
We are engaging you. I'm not spinning anything. I'm addressing the words you have said.
No, you certainly are not. I was asked to provide a citation for my claim that an organiser mentioned the black/gay joke as being offensive. I provided the article and the video but you don't address that, you claim it is irrelevant.

Quote:
I'm a proud Social Justice Warrior and you can take that title from me from my Cold. Dead. Hands.
Good on ya! I can't get behind it because I think manufactured outrage is very juvenile.

Quote:
Perhaps if you stopped playing the identity politics game you could slow down on the virtue-signalling enough to be able to listen to what we are actually saying instead of inventing things. I attempted to have a civil conversation with you. I don't think that anything I've said (to this point) has been unreasonable. But you really have decided to double down, haven't you?
Then address the issue of Nimesh being offensive. In fact, answer this with a yes or no: Was the black/gay joke offensive? Because if you say "Yes" there is no conversation possible. You have gone through the looking glass.

Then go watch Patel's comedy routines on Youtube. He is anything BUT offensive. He doesn't ever attempt to dance on the edge like so many other comedians who I happen to enjoy much more than him.

Then read what other people in the audience said about the performance. That Patel was doing well until he told that one black/gay joke and even then still had at least half the audience laughing (The same joke on a TedTalk had the entire audience roaring) . . . You know, all the links I posted.

Then we can talk. To say you attempted a "civil conversation" is just BS. You were unaware of all that and until you are informed you offer nothing but SJW lies.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 12:38 AM   #197
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
not by half.
...I'm being honest.

Quote:
No you can't!
Yes we can.

Quote:
There is no video until after he was asked to leave. In that video the woman claims his black/gay joke was offensive. He obviously wasn't asked to leave because he talked over her. That happened after he was asked to end his performance.
We are addressing this claim:

Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Let's get to reality here. The organisers who interrupted Patel's show never mentioned anything except the black and gay joke. If this were an accumulation thing they would have mentioned other things.
Everything we need to know about this specific claim of yours was captured on video. There was no opportunity for the organizers to state other reasons because Patel interrupted then yelled over the top of the organizer. There was no opportunity for the organizer to say anything else. Patel was clearly (and understandably) upset. The best course of action from the organizers was to let him say what he needed to say and then let him leave the stage.

Quote:
What was the point of bringing up his talking over the woman then? It happened after his set was stopped. If it doesn't make any point why do you bring it up?
It made a point. Just not the point you claimed I made. If you want clarification of my point scroll up and read the previous reply.

Quote:
No, you certainly are not. I was asked to provide a citation for my claim that an organiser mentioned the black/gay joke as being offensive. I provided the article and the video but you don't address that, you claim it is irrelevant.
You didn't provide the video in response to me. I haven't spun anything. I've directly responded to the words you have used in this thread.

Quote:
Good on ya! I can't get behind it because I think manufactured outrage is very juvenile.
I don't manufacture outrage and neither do anyone else who genuinely fight for social justice.

Quote:
Then address the issue of Nimesh being offensive. In fact, answer this with a yes or no: Was the black/gay joke offensive? Because if you say "Yes" there is no conversation possible. You have gone through the looking glass.
Through the looking glass?

I'm not going to answer your question. Because it isn't relevant. Despite your repeated assertions that the joke was the singular reason that he was asked to leave the stage we know this is not true.

And humor is subjective. It isn't an objective thing. And so is offense. Whether or not someone takes offense at something can depend on context, it can depend on intent. So my personal feelings don't matter here, and neither do yours. Whether or not you took offense to a joke is not relevant to the discussion.

Quote:
Then go watch Patel's comedy routines on Youtube. He is anything BUT offensive. He doesn't ever attempt to dance on the edge like so many other comedians who I happen to enjoy much more than him.
Offense is subjective. It is clear that your offense threshold is calibrated differently to mine. You take offense at "snowflakes" and at "SJW's" so its pretty ******* obvious that Patel's comedy routines would not offend you.

Quote:
Then read what other people in the audience said about the performance.
I tried to read what was said in that MSN cite of yours but my eyes started bleeding. There is no byline on that cite: its just copied verbatim from the youtube link (which was embedded in a curious way, the only way I could get to the the youtube page was to click the "share" button). The youtube page belongs to a user called "Veritech". No name, no verification that this user actually took the video or attended the event. No idea who that is. Is that the only audience member you wanted us to read? Do you have anything else?

Quote:
That Patel was doing well until he told that one black/gay joke and even then still had at least half the audience laughing (The same joke on a TedTalk had the entire audience roaring) . . . You know, all the links I posted.
If you want to believe Mr Anon then you are welcome too. I've read more than enough contrary opinions from other people that were there and I watched the video that showed how Patel had completely lost the audience to be able to form my own opinion thanks.

Quote:
Then we can talk.
We can talk now. I'm not going anywhere. If you don't want to talk: then stop replying.

Quote:
To say you attempted a "civil conversation" is just BS.
Nope. Its reality. You see I'm putting up with stuff like this:

Quote:
You were unaware of all that and until you are informed you offer nothing but SJW lies.
Your responses are full of ad hominem, strawmen and veiled insults. And you've done it again. Do you really think that claiming I offer "nothing but SJW lies" is a way of being polite? Is claiming I offer "nothing but SJW lies" a rational response to anything? Can you point out anything specific I've said that can be characterized as both "a lie" and "a lie that was produced by Social Justice Warriors?" How does that even work?

And can you point to anything I've said to you that comes even close to this level of incivility?
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:29 AM   #198
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,295
Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...I'm being honest.
Not by a quarter now.

Quote:
You didn't provide the video in response to me.
Okay, now you are just lying because:

Originally Posted by banquetbear View Post
...do you have a cite for the organizers stating the black and gay joke was why they asked Patel to leave the stage?
Typical SJW tactic: Lie, lie, and lie some more.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 02:57 AM   #199
banquetbear
Graduate Poster
 
banquetbear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,500
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Not by a quarter now.
...not lying at all. Do you understand what a "lie" means?

Quote:
Okay, now you are just lying because:
What the **** are you going on about?

I've summarized our exchange already in this post here:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...&postcount=186

I asked you a question.

You didn't answer it.

I asked you again.

You responded that the answer to my question was in my second link.

I said that I read the second link, I couldn't find the answer, then requested you be specific and quote exactly what was said.

You then told me to "watch the video."

I said there wasn't a video in the second link to watch.

You then stated that you never claimed there was a video in the second link.

It turns out that you had posted the video link in response to someone else in this thread: not me. You didn't provide the video in response to me. You provided it in response to someone else. You didn't tell me you had posted the link. You didn't at any stage (until after I had pointed it out) let me know that when you stated that the answer to my question "was in your second link, halfway down", that this was not true. (And in some places, people would characterize that as a lie.)

So no I"m not lying. I haven't lied, you haven't demonstrated I've lied, I haven't been dishonest at all. If there has been any miscommunication in our exchange it has been entirely your fault.

Quote:
Typical SJW tactic: Lie, lie, and lie some more.
I think that its pretty crystal clear that I'm not the person who is lying here.
banquetbear is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st December 2018, 10:06 AM   #200
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper
 
Ron_Tomkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 43,409
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
They expected him to behave is a specific way because he is Asian but he behaved differently because he is a comedian.
... which, by the way, is incredibly racist
__________________
"I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:45 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.