ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:04 AM   #241
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44,871
Why should I care what the crowd thinks? If the crowd like the racist jokes that doesn't make them not racist. I get it racists are entitled to a platform and income because racists are the most discriminated against group in america.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:10 AM   #242
Mumbles
Philosopher
 
Mumbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 6,460
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Do tell! What evidence did I ignore? I took all the witnesses at their word, unlike you who requires them all to be lying or meaning something completely counter to what their words said. But that is your history on the ISF, isn't it?
All you're doing is proving my point. The more a person screeches about "SJWs", the less we should take them seriously.
Mumbles is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:25 AM   #243
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by ponderingturtle View Post
Why should I care what the crowd thinks? If the crowd like the racist jokes that doesn't make them not racist. I get it racists are entitled to a platform and income because racists are the most discriminated against group in america.
All fine and good but it has been established tgat the joke wasn't racist or homophobic. As usual though, some people care about their pet idiology more than they care about facts.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:32 AM   #244
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by Mumbles View Post
All you're doing is proving my point. The more a person screeches about "SJWs", the less we should take them seriously.
There's that brain dead idiology again.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:50 AM   #245
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Maybe the best idea is for comedians who do colleges should run every joke in their set past a group of student SJW representatives a few days before and they can take out all the ones they don't like, maybe suggest a few ones about cats in to fill in the gaps.

Problem solved.
Believe it, or not, hat has actually been suggested by some comedians. There was an interesting discussion by a roundtable of comedians on The Green Room with Paul Provenza** regarding this topic. I agreed more with Bill Burr's take on the matter.

**TRIGGER WARNING -The Green Room is completely uncensored and no subject is off limits. If Patel's black/gay joke offended you I would suggest you don't go there.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 02:27 PM   #246
ponderingturtle
Orthogonal Vector
 
ponderingturtle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 44,871
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
All fine and good but it has been established tgat the joke wasn't racist or homophobic.
Nonsense we have established that there is no such thing as a racist or homophobic joke, just ones that the audience laughs at or does not.
__________________
Sufficiently advanced Woo is indistinguishable from Parody
"There shall be no *poofing* in science" Paul C. Anagnostopoulos
Force ***** on reasons back" Ben Franklin
ponderingturtle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:20 PM   #247
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper
 
Ron_Tomkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 43,189
Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Maybe the best idea is for comedians who do colleges should run every joke in their set past a group of student SJW representatives a few days before and they can take out all the ones they don't like, maybe suggest a few ones about cats in to fill in the gaps.

Problem solved.
Except that then they would end up with 98% of their material edited out

No, the solution has already been put in march by most comedians: They just don't do college gigs anymore. If college kids wanna go see a comedy, they'll have to pay the ticket to go to a comedy show like everyone else.
__________________
"I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan"

Carl Sagan

Last edited by Ron_Tomkins; 3rd January 2019 at 05:21 PM.
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 05:59 PM   #248
Gilbert Syndrome
Philosopher
 
Gilbert Syndrome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Aigburth, Liverpool, UK
Posts: 5,669
I liked Ricky Gervais' take on offensive comedy and the matter of context, I think Jimmy Carr also delved into it a bit on one of his live shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTKTerINwY4
__________________
Generic proclamation of positivity:

Scouse saying - Go 'ed, is right, nice one, boss, well in, sound, belter, made up.

Usage: 'Go 'ed, lad, get us an ale in, nice one.'
Gilbert Syndrome is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:13 PM   #249
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
No, the solution has already been put in march by most comedians: They just don't do college gigs anymore. If college kids wanna go see a comedy, they'll have to pay the ticket to go to a comedy show like everyone else.
Is that "most comedians" or "most established comedians"? My guess is that college bookers have absolutely no problem finding comedians who will cater to the tastes of their student body, even if they have to look beyond the A-listers. It's the least effective boycott in history, accomplishing nothing beyond giving lesser known comedians a chance.

But sure, that's probably the best solution. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. What a strange entitlement culture there is around this whole thing.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 06:23 PM   #250
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper
 
Ron_Tomkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 43,189
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Is that "most comedians" or "most established comedians"? My guess is that college bookers have absolutely no problem finding comedians who will cater to the tastes of their student body, even if they have to look beyond the A-listers. It's the least effective boycott in history, accomplishing nothing beyond giving lesser known comedians a chance.

But sure, that's probably the best solution. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. What a strange entitlement culture there is around this whole thing.
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be amazed that it was just like you're describing: Young, aspiring, non-famous comedians who are just getting out there, are more likely to put up with that and do all sorts of gigs. But established comedians like Seinfeld, Rogan, Burr and Stanhope have absolutely no interest dealing with this PC culture ********. They already do at the comedy venues where they work.
__________________
"I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 07:09 PM   #251
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,802
Originally Posted by AlaskaBushPilot View Post
A police state is not successful because it employs a large force of police.

It is by turning the entire populace into police: reporting every state crime, especially thought crimes. Jokes are really dangerous to thought control freaks.

SNIP
I'd rather risk being shot to live free.
This wasn't the government. The students have the right of freedom on association, and Patel isn't entitled a venue. You're the one against freedom here, both of association and speech of the students. You're the one talking about violence because of it.

Unthinking kneejerk cries of 'FREEDOM!' oppress freedom.

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
That's it? That's the offensive joke? I've heard the "why would someone choose to be gay" line before used by people debating whether or not homosexuality is something that can be cured. I'm sure I've used it.

But ya I see, now it's, "Who says being gay is a bad thing?" Or being black for that matter. Well being either one sure sounds like a pain in the ass to me, which was the point of the comedian.

I read the news and see how these groups of people are sometimes treated, and I'm glad I don't have to put up with that crap. What's wrong with saying that? I would not choose to be gay or black in this country, or most others.

A comedian got kicked out of a college comedy act for that? The Ministry Of Overly Offensive Jokes?

George Carlin would have been a shoe salesman today.
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
If George Carlin ever performed for that crowd they wouldn't be paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for an education, it would go for psycho-therapy.
Neither of you know a damn thing about Carlin. He was a keenly intelligent man intimately familiar with actual government censorship and oppression of speech who would almost certainly take you both to task for the limp-wristed chicken little licking whining about some students not liking a dude bombing with comparisons to actual governmental actions.

Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
My favorite moment from the Joe Rogan interview was Patel saying "I didn't bomb! I wasn't bombing for 60%, 70% of the set!" or something to that effect. It's like claiming you didn't fail because you got an A on most of the test.

I keep wondering how he would fare down the street....

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Yeah, he doesn't actually do himself many favors there. 'I wasn't bombing! If I were bombing I would totally own it! So, as I was bombing...'

Originally Posted by cullennz View Post
Maybe the best idea is for comedians who do colleges should run every joke in their set past a group of student SJW representatives a few days before and they can take out all the ones they don't like, maybe suggest a few ones about cats in to fill in the gaps.

Problem solved.
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Except that then they would end up with 98% of their material edited out

No, the solution has already been put in march by most comedians: They just don't do college gigs anymore. If college kids wanna go see a comedy, they'll have to pay the ticket to go to a comedy show like everyone else.
I am literally going to a comedy writing workshop Monday where we will of course examine such issues with regards to specific jokes or combinations, and I assure you that the portion cut out will be a great deal less than 98%. A lot of the time, it's just wording or order that gets changed.

For example, there's this sixteen year old girl who does a fantastic job at open mic. However, we did point out to her that joking about how all the guys in the room are just uncomfortable with a teen girl talking about her sex life and what's really wrong with her having sex should NOT be in the same set as jokes about her pregnancy scares unless she calls it out as additional jokes.

Offensive bits? You bet, depending on the audience. Audience and offense is something that comedians do indeed consider all the time. This isn't novel.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:19 PM   #252
Delphic Oracle
Master Poster
 
Delphic Oracle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,682
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
This wasn't the government. The students have the right of freedom on association, and Patel isn't entitled a venue. You're the one against freedom here, both of association and speech of the students. You're the one talking about violence because of it.

Unthinking kneejerk cries of 'FREEDOM!' oppress freedom.





Neither of you know a damn thing about Carlin. He was a keenly intelligent man intimately familiar with actual government censorship and oppression of speech who would almost certainly take you both to task for the limp-wristed chicken little licking whining about some students not liking a dude bombing with comparisons to actual governmental actions.



Yeah, he doesn't actually do himself many favors there. 'I wasn't bombing! If I were bombing I would totally own it! So, as I was bombing...'





I am literally going to a comedy writing workshop Monday where we will of course examine such issues with regards to specific jokes or combinations, and I assure you that the portion cut out will be a great deal less than 98%. A lot of the time, it's just wording or order that gets changed.

For example, there's this sixteen year old girl who does a fantastic job at open mic. However, we did point out to her that joking about how all the guys in the room are just uncomfortable with a teen girl talking about her sex life and what's really wrong with her having sex should NOT be in the same set as jokes about her pregnancy scares unless she calls it out as additional jokes.

Offensive bits? You bet, depending on the audience. Audience and offense is something that comedians do indeed consider all the time. This isn't novel.
I've worked audio for many a venue, one pro trick I've overheard shared is to find a low-brow offensive gutbuster that always works, drop it in early, and if anything goes wrong down the road you just pause and incredulously berate the audience for how that other joke was totally okay, "but oh, oh nooooow I'm just an awful human specimen." and chuckle it off and immediately pivot to another set.

ETA: or you can go the other route, one night I watched a guy try room work and a sharp-tongued girlfriend of the guy he was bullying (the best description of his "room work" I can come up with) got lashed at by suggesting the guy should ditch her since she's rude and opinionated (this goes over not very well when he's the intermission bookend at a burlesque show...oops). The whole room turned to ice in about 2 seconds. About the time he was screaming "I have the microphone and what that means is you shut the **** up!"...his mic cut out and some extro music came on.

I have the faders, **** your microphone.

Last edited by Delphic Oracle; 3rd January 2019 at 08:32 PM.
Delphic Oracle is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 08:30 PM   #253
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be amazed that it was just like you're describing: Young, aspiring, non-famous comedians who are just getting out there, are more likely to put up with that and do all sorts of gigs. But established comedians like Seinfeld, Rogan, Burr and Stanhope have absolutely no interest dealing with this PC culture ********. They already do at the comedy venues where they work.
So I'm left wondering what the grave concern is. If they have no interest in dealing with it...don't deal with it. Similarly, I have no interest in dealing with a 50-year-old rage baby millionaire complaining about "PC culture", so I don't.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:06 PM   #254
angrysoba
Philosophile
 
angrysoba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Osaka, Japan
Posts: 24,139
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be amazed that it was just like you're describing: Young, aspiring, non-famous comedians who are just getting out there, are more likely to put up with that and do all sorts of gigs. But established comedians like Seinfeld, Rogan, Burr and Stanhope have absolutely no interest dealing with this PC culture ********. They already do at the comedy venues where they work.
Ironically they have no interest but talk about it a lot. Seinfeld isnít really that funny a standup anyway. Rogan is much better as a podcast host than a comedian. I have tried to get through his sets on YouTube and find them painfully unfunny. Stanhope is meh. Maybe college audiences just donít find them funny either.
__________________
"The thief and the murderer follow nature just as much as the philanthropist. Cosmic evolution may teach us how the good and the evil tendencies of man may have come about; but, in itself, it is incompetent to furnish any better reason why what we call good is preferable to what we call evil than we had before."

"Evolution and Ethics" T.H. Huxley (1893)
angrysoba is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 09:54 PM   #255
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
So I'm left wondering what the grave concern is. If they have no interest in dealing with it...don't deal with it. Similarly, I have no interest in dealing with a 50-year-old rage baby millionaire complaining about "PC culture", so I don't.
I think you nailed it. You're more interested in the appearance than the message. Some people are more interested in the message. I think it is why Louis C. K. can still get laughs. People agree with his message. What can a twenty something year old who still relies on their parents for everything possibly say that would enlighten me about life? Sure, they have quaint little ideas about how life ought to be, we all did, but real life isn't rainbows and unicorns. Come back when you've survived the hard **** and we'll talk and laugh about all of it.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 3rd January 2019, 10:15 PM   #256
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
I think you nailed it. You're more interested in the appearance than the message. Some people are more interested in the message. I think it is why Louis C. K. can still get laughs. People agree with his message. What can a twenty something year old who still relies on their parents for everything possibly say that would enlighten me about life? Sure, they have quaint little ideas about how life ought to be, we all did, but real life isn't rainbows and unicorns. Come back when you've survived the hard **** and we'll talk and laugh about all of it.
What on earth does any of this have to do with anything I've said?

The "message" is just old man grumbling. It's the most unfunny thing in the world.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:54 AM   #257
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
The "message" is just old man grumbling. It's the most unfunny thing in the world.
Actually, no. The message is SJWs still have to live in the real world, it isn't working out too well for them, but it is funny as hell.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:11 AM   #258
Darat
Lackey
Administrator
 
Darat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: South East, UK
Posts: 84,514
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Actually, no. The message is SJWs still have to live in the real world, it isn't working out too well for them, but it is funny as hell.
In this case it would seem to be the comedian at the event who has trouble living in the real world, he couldn't deliver what he was contracted to deliver to the audience. The fault is not with the audience it is with the comedian. Now apparently he is a financially successful comedian so failing to deliver what he was contracted to do so at such a small and comparitively insignificant event I doubt is going to cause him much financial issues but it could be a concern for him in future if he keeps failing to deliver what he is meant to be delivering.

Being a comedian in the context of this thread is simply a business, businesses that repeatedly fail to deliver what they are contracted to do tend to fail.

Audience tastes always change, if a business can't change to satisfy the new requirements it is going to fail.

Railing at your customers for not being happy with your product rarely* works out well for the business.

*Yes there can be exceptions probably the best known exception would be Apple and gripgate, nothing wrong with our phone you are just holding it wrong.
__________________
I wish I knew how to quit you
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:14 AM   #259
cullennz
Embarrasingly illiterate
 
cullennz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,330
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Is that "most comedians" or "most established comedians"? My guess is that college bookers have absolutely no problem finding comedians who will cater to the tastes of their student body, even if they have to look beyond the A-listers. It's the least effective boycott in history, accomplishing nothing beyond giving lesser known comedians a chance.

But sure, that's probably the best solution. If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. What a strange entitlement culture there is around this whole thing.

I think that might be certain more vocal groups in the student body

Know what you mean by entitlement culture though.

They do seem to be when deciding what people can hear
__________________
I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With todayís Internet technology we should be able to tell within 72-hours if a potential gun owner has a record.

Source: The America We Deserve, by Donald Trump, p.102 , Jul 2, 2000

Last edited by cullennz; 4th January 2019 at 01:18 AM.
cullennz is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:22 AM   #260
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by Darat View Post
In this case it would seem to be the comedian at the event who has trouble living in the real world, he couldn't deliver what he was contracted to deliver to the audience. The fault is not with the audience it is with the comedian. Now apparently he is a financially successful comedian so failing to deliver what he was contracted to do so at such a small and comparitively insignificant event I doubt is going to cause him much financial issues but it could be a concern for him in future if he keeps failing to deliver what he is meant to be delivering.

Being a comedian in the context of this thread is simply a business, businesses that repeatedly fail to deliver what they are contracted to do tend to fail.

Audience tastes always change, if a business can't change to satisfy the new requirements it is going to fail.

Railing at your customers for not being happy with your product rarely* works out well for the business.

*Yes there can be exceptions probably the best known exception would be Apple and gripgate, nothing wrong with our phone you are just holding it wrong.
Hasn't seemed to have hurt his career. Still performing AND he got paid for his gig at Colimbia.

I guess we'll have to see what happens next year. Patel was the big, and only, act. They flogged his show hard to sell tickets and knew he was performing his stand up routine. I wonder if anyone will sign on next year.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 06:04 AM   #261
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Actually, no. The message is SJWs still have to live in the real world, it isn't working out too well for them, but it is funny as hell.
Well, that's a dumb message in this particular instance. Seems to have worked out just fine for them.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 07:42 AM   #262
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 17,619
Originally Posted by angrysoba View Post
Ironically they have no interest but talk about it a lot. Seinfeld isnít really that funny a standup anyway. Rogan is much better as a podcast host than a comedian. I have tried to get through his sets on YouTube and find them painfully unfunny. Stanhope is meh. Maybe college audiences just donít find them funny either.
I didn't find Jerry Seinfeld's comedy funny when he was actually popular, and that was not too far removed from when I was in college.

Meanwhile, I saw George Carlin and Robin Williams at a college venue. Neither of them had any problem. Granted, that was back when they were both alive.
__________________
"As your friend, I have to be honest with you: I don't care about you or your problems" - Gidget, Secret Life of Pets
pgwenthold is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #263
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
I didn't find Jerry Seinfeld's comedy funny when he was actually popular, and that was not too far removed from when I was in college.

Meanwhile, I saw George Carlin and Robin Williams at a college venue. Neither of them had any problem. Granted, that was back when they were both alive.
George Carlin gave us a list of words that would trigger SJWs and he nailed it. There is no way he would have been on stage at Cultureshock.

" . . . there is nothing inherently wrong with those words. Nobody complains when Richard Pryor, or Eddie Murphy, use the word '******' because everyone knows they're not racist . . . they're *******!"

Classic Carlin.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 12:58 PM   #264
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
George Carlin gave us a list of words that would trigger SJWs and he nailed it.
Yep. I can't tell you how many times some officious 20-year-old outrage addict has told me not to say "piss".
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:00 PM   #265
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper
 
Ron_Tomkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 43,189
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
So I'm left wondering what the grave concern is. If they have no interest in dealing with it...don't deal with it. Similarly, I have no interest in dealing with a 50-year-old rage baby millionaire complaining about "PC culture", so I don't.
Part of the problem is that even if all comedians agreed to never perform at a College ever again, this issue is larger and more complicated than that. PC Culture isn't exclusive to colleges (And needless to say, not all colleges have an overall PC mentality). PC Culture is everywhere. And another ingredient that makes things more volatile is the accessibility to the internet we now have. I think it was Bill Burr who commented on the fact that there used to be a time when the comedy club was an arena for comedians to freely test their material and say whatever they wanted to say and see what works and what didn't. But nowadays with the internet and the smart phones, there is no comedy club or venue that is free from having at least one person filming the set with their phone, and then posting it online and trashing the comedian for whatever reason.

So, granted, the problem isn't exclusively about PC culture, and of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't comedians who have indeed crossed the line (Michael Richards, for instance), but there is a problem with this accessibility to the internet, and this ability to trash anyone on the media, and it makes comedians feel like they're walking on eggshells.

Meanwhile, none of this PC Culture War, despite having some good intentions, is capable of anything good, because at the end of the day, one of the most offensive and vulgar people on the planet went ahead to spout all their racist, homophobic, xenophobic nonsense on Presidential elections, and still became President of the United States. Which should stand as the number one proof that PC Culture still cannot do the one thing it pretends to do, which is obliterate offensive people.
__________________
"I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:36 PM   #266
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
So, granted, the problem isn't exclusively about PC culture, and of course, this doesn't mean that there aren't comedians who have indeed crossed the line (Michael Richards, for instance), but there is a problem with this accessibility to the internet, and this ability to trash anyone on the media, and it makes comedians feel like they're walking on eggshells.
That has nothing to do with this case, though, does it? The set wasn't leaked to the internet. Nobody tried to create negative professional consequences for him.

He was asked to leave. He still got paid. Without relitigating why he was asked to leave...everyone seems to have acted well within their rights here, and the outrage is almost exclusively coming from the anti-PC brigade, who are at least as myopic and annoying (witness the people in this thread who try to equate this stuff with police state measures and cultural revolution). In this case, it looks like a bunch of people trying to force an incident into a script, so they can enjoy their usual rant.

Quote:
Meanwhile, none of this PC Culture War, despite having some good intentions, is capable of anything good, because at the end of the day, one of the most offensive and vulgar people on the planet went ahead to spout all their racist, homophobic, xenophobic nonsense on Presidential elections, and still became President of the United States. Which should stand as the number one proof that PC Culture still cannot do the one thing it pretends to do, which is obliterate offensive people.
I really don't think the goal of the students who sincerely believe in this stuff is to "obliterate offensive people". It's probably just to make the world a slightly less hostile place.

One of the attendees, in the original articles: "I really dislike when people who are older say that our generation needs to be exposed to the real world. Obviously the world is not a safe space but just accepting that it's not and continuing to perpetuate the un-safeness of itÖ is saying that it canít be changed. When older generations say you need to stop being so sensitive, itís like undermining what our generation is trying to do in accepting others and making it safer."

That is not a position that strikes me as unreasonably ambitious, nor does it have an authoritarian character. It's just a reaction against the complacency and cynicism of older people.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:40 PM   #267
Ron_Tomkins
Satan's Helper
 
Ron_Tomkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 43,189
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
That has nothing to do with this case, though, does it? The set wasn't leaked to the internet. Nobody tried to create negative professional consequences for him.

He was asked to leave. He still got paid. Without relitigating why he was asked to leave...everyone seems to have acted well within their rights here, and the outrage is almost exclusively coming from the anti-PC brigade, who are at least as myopic and annoying (witness the people in this thread who try to equate this stuff with police state measures and cultural revolution). In this case, it looks like a bunch of people trying to force an incident into a script, so they can enjoy their usual rant.


I really don't think the goal of the students who sincerely believe in this stuff is to "obliterate offensive people". It's probably just to make the world a slightly less hostile place.

One of the attendees, in the original articles: "I really dislike when people who are older say that our generation needs to be exposed to the real world. Obviously the world is not a safe space but just accepting that it's not and continuing to perpetuate the un-safeness of itÖ is saying that it canít be changed. When older generations say you need to stop being so sensitive, itís like undermining what our generation is trying to do in accepting others and making it safer."

That is not a position that strikes me as unreasonably ambitious, nor does it have an authoritarian character. It's just a reaction against the complacency and cynicism of older people.
No, I wasn't speaking about this particular case on my last post. I was speaking more broadly about the culture we're living in. This particular case is nothing but a micro-example of a bigger problem.
__________________
"I am a collection of water, calcium and organic molecules called Carl Sagan"

Carl Sagan
Ron_Tomkins is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #268
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
No, I wasn't speaking about this particular case on my last post. I was speaking more broadly about the culture we're living in. This particular case is nothing but a micro-example of a bigger problem.
I would say this case is not an example of any bigger problem. It doesn't fit the script, and the details were misreported from the get-go.

But some people want to talk about the bigger problem anyway, because they're like single-issue voters--completely obsessed with their one thing.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:42 PM   #269
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Yep. I can't tell you how many times some officious 20-year-old outrage addict has told me not to say "piss".
Even Hitler didn't go from WWI messenger to the gas chambers overnight, give them time.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 01:44 PM   #270
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Even Hitler didn't go from WWI messenger to the gas chambers overnight, give them time.
I'll keep an eye out for Baden and Brooklyn's death squads.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:24 PM   #271
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I'll keep an eye out for Baden and Brooklyn's death squads.
Might not be too long before you can join one. Look at all the violence by SJWs at peaceful campus, and off campus, talks. Most SJWs polled stated violence is a legitimate way to create the world they want and they have shown their willingness to use it.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:35 PM   #272
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Might not be too long before you can join one. Look at all the violence by SJWs at peaceful campus, and off campus, talks. Most SJWs polled stated violence is a legitimate way to create the world they want and they have shown their willingness to use it.
Yeah, hardly a day goes by that we don't hear a story about an SJW mailing pipebombs to celebrities or shooting up a synagogue.

The amusing thing here is that people want to simultaneously paint these college kids as hypersensitive, ineffectual crybabies who don't understand the real world and as incipient totalitarians. It reminds me of the right simultaneously characterizing Obama as a dictator and a weak pussy of a leader. Pick a story, guy.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:37 PM   #273
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Yeah, hardly a day goes by that we don't hear a story about an SJW mailing pipebombs to celebrities or shooting up a synagogue.

The amusing thing here is that people want to simultaneously paint these college kids as hypersensitive, ineffectual crybabies who don't understand the real world and as incipient totalitarians. It reminds me of the right simultaneously characterizing Obama as a dictator and a weak pussy of a leader. Pick a story, guy.
Ultra left is as crazy as ultra right, sweety.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 02:49 PM   #274
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
Ultra left is as crazy as ultra right, sweety.
I mean, I don't think so. The left barely exists in the US, let alone the ultra-left. Domestic terrorism is almost exclusively right-wing these days. You're totally ignoring the actual political violence we see in favor of reading tea leaves about potential political violence. Worrying about the ill-evidenced tendencies towards authoritarianism of the Unified Student Alliance while a would-be strongman sits in the White House. Your priorities are all ****** up.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:06 PM   #275
qayak
Penultimate Amazing
 
qayak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,088
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
I mean, I don't think so. The left barely exists in the US, let alone the ultra-left. Domestic terrorism is almost exclusively right-wing these days. You're totally ignoring the actual political violence we see in favor of reading tea leaves about potential political violence. Worrying about the ill-evidenced tendencies towards authoritarianism of the Unified Student Alliance while a would-be strongman sits in the White House. Your priorities are all ****** up.
That's a pretty stupid argument. You think I should worry about violence on the ultra right because it is somehow more important. Are you unable to deal with two things at once?

You followed the SJW bible on this one though. There is a reason SJWs sound just like religious fanatics when they argue. Dogman above all else.
__________________
"How long you live, how high you fly
The smiles you'll give, and tears you'll cry
And all you touch, and all you see
Is all your life will ever be."
qayak is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:11 PM   #276
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,874
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Yeah, hardly a day goes by that we don't hear a story about an SJW mailing pipebombs to celebrities or shooting up a synagogue.
Failure modes vary by factions. SJWs seem to favor sucker punches, assault with blunt objects, and only occasionally gunning down lawmakers they don't like. They also sometimes tend towards false accusations and even fake incidents.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:13 PM   #277
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,027
Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Failure modes vary by factions. SJWs seem to favor sucker punches, assault with blunt objects, and only occasionally gunning down lawmakers they don't like. They also sometimes tend towards false accusations and even fake incidents.
How often is "occasionally"? How many times per year on average?
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:15 PM   #278
kellyb
Penultimate Amazing
 
kellyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,027
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
That's a pretty stupid argument. You think I should worry about violence on the ultra right because it is somehow more important.
Not "somehow more important" - entirely more frequent. You know, more common and more deadly.
__________________
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts ~ Bertrand Russell
I am proud to say that Henry Kissinger is not my friend.
kellyb is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:22 PM   #279
mumblethrax
Species traitor
 
mumblethrax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,199
Originally Posted by qayak View Post
That's a pretty stupid argument. You think I should worry about violence on the ultra right because it is somehow more important. Are you unable to deal with two things at once?
No, I think we should prioritize the political violence on the ultra right because it exists. Again, who shot up the synagogue in Pittsburgh? Who mailed pipe bombs to politicians? Hint: not SJWs.

Quote:
You followed the SJW bible on this one though. There is a reason SJWs sound just like religious fanatics when they argue.
Yeah. I don't agree that a 20 year old getting offended by an inoffensive joke is basically the same thing as Maoism. Therefore, I'm Part of the Problem. Enjoy the communists under your bed.

Originally Posted by theprestige
Failure modes vary by factions. SJWs seem to favor sucker punches, assault with blunt objects, and only occasionally gunning down lawmakers they don't like. They also sometimes tend towards false accusations and even fake incidents.
Do they? I can't really picture Amy Lee from the Asian Student Alliance throwing many sucker punches. Then again, "SJW" borders on meaninglessness, so I guess you can apply it to anyone from a black bloc anarchist to Nancy Pelosi.
mumblethrax is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 4th January 2019, 03:42 PM   #280
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 30,874
Originally Posted by mumblethrax View Post
Then again, "SJW" borders on meaninglessness, so I guess you can apply it to anyone from a black bloc anarchist to Nancy Pelosi.
You seem to have grasped the meaning of "SJW" quite well. It's true you've described a pretty broad tent, but you still managed to exclude quite a bit from your definition. It lacks nuance, but is probably serviceable enough for most conversation.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Social Issues & Current Events

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:38 AM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.