ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags donald trump , Trump administration , Trump controversies

Old 1st January 2019, 07:46 AM   #41
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by zorro99 View Post
They went around it.

I suspect that Captain_Swoop is aware of that and assumes we all are too.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 08:09 AM   #42
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

According to the President...

Originally Posted by Trump
I hear about the wall is old fashioned. It is not old fashioned. It is 100% foolproof.
Happy New Years / Groundhog Day, take your pick.
Old 1st January 2019, 08:57 AM   #43
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“General” McChrystal got fired like a dog by Obama. Last assignment a total bust. Known for big, dumb mouth. Hillary lover!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 08:59 AM   #44
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

One thing has now been proven. The Democrats do not care about Open Borders and all of the crime and drugs that Open Borders bring!
Captain_Swoop is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:23 AM   #45
Armitage72
Master Poster

Originally Posted by Captain_Swoop View Post
Trump Tweets

One thing has now been proven. The Democrats do not care about Open Borders and all of the crime and drugs that Open Borders bring!

I thought that Democrats wanted Open Borders. Now they don't care about them? I'm so confused.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:27 AM   #46
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

Originally Posted by Armitage72 View Post
I thought that Democrats wanted Open Borders. Now they don't care about them? I'm so confused.
You're confused? Think how much worse it must be to write that stuff. Especially if one is ghostwriting it.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:27 AM   #47
Hlafordlaes
Disorder of Kilopi

Originally Posted by blutoski View Post
<Nice post>... So it's interesting seeing these psychological phenomena in realtime, if a little frustrating. The ramifications are important for real world decisionmaking. In particular, it's one of the reasons I have withdrawn somewhat from skepticism. The organizations have traditionally adhered to a 'debate and educate' model, which I don't think has any prospect for success based on the body of research.
Indeed. Broadly speaking, we cannot count on any lessons learned being passed on from one generation to the next, let alone ever being learned in the first place (eg Trump). It seems sober reflection only peaks in the immediate aftermath of war and calamity, then fades to a minimum, allowing for the next iteration. Thus all the lessons of WWII regarding international governance being tossed out today by voters from the very same generations that "learned" from them. Not sad. Very sad.

No easy answers to this one. I think it is the best and most likely candidate for explaining the Fermi paradox.

Last edited by Hlafordlaes; 1st January 2019 at 09:30 AM.
Hlafordlaes is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:30 AM   #48
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Trump Tweets

“General” McChrystal got fired like a dog by Obama. Last assignment a total bust. Known for big, dumb mouth. Hillary lover!

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:45 AM   #49
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

How does one fire a dog?

ETA: Obama and McChrystal sort of made up when the retired general returned to serve on a Whitehouse advisory panel on military families along with the FLOTUS.

Last edited by Craig4; 1st January 2019 at 09:49 AM.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:46 AM   #50
P.J. Denyer
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Trump projects all his faults onto other people.

"Nebulous means Nebulous" - Adam Hills
P.J. Denyer is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 09:57 AM   #51
Craig4
Penultimate Amazing

https://www.thedailybeast.com/what-w...mericas-coasts

If we want to stop more drugs, forget the wall, make the Coast Guard bigger.

When are we going to learn (this is rhetorical) that security on our southern border will only be achieved when we have prosperous neighbors to our south that respect human rights and the rule of law? The economic and political forces that drive people here will always be stronger than our fortifications.
Craig4 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:18 AM   #52
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Predictions: Trump goes, unexpected candidate emerges in 2019

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-ho...merges-in-2019

I think points 16 to 18 are the most likely:

16. The Mueller investigation will unveil evidence of Trump putting himself out to the highest bidder in return for campaign help and financing: Russians, Saudis, Emiratis, Qataris — there will be evidence that millions of foreign dollars illegally flowed into the Trump campaign coffers in 2016;

17. In other words, Trump basically said, “I’m for sale”;

18. We may learn the source of the $66 million of his own money that Trump donated to his campaign in 2016. Was it a foreign entity who gave him the money as, in effect, an illegal pass-through?
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:21 AM   #53
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

Does Trump think McChrystal wasn't a real general?

His respect for a former officer and 4 star general is awesome.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:31 AM   #54
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

Quote:
I hear about the wall is old fashioned. It is not old fashioned. It is 100% foolproof.
I think somebody's been sampling the Old Fashioneds.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:35 AM   #55
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by TheSupermeerkat View Post

16. The Mueller investigation will unveil evidence of Trump putting himself out to the highest bidder in return for campaign help and financing: Russians, Saudis, Emiratis, Qataris — there will be evidence that millions of foreign dollars illegally flowed into the Trump campaign coffers in 2016;

18. We may learn the source of the $66 million of his own money that Trump donated to his campaign in 2016. Was it a foreign entity who gave him the money as, in effect, an illegal pass-through?
Trump goes? Do you mean voluntarily? I think of any potential outcome that's the least likely. I'd order them: is not reelected in November, is reelected, is primaried, dies, military coup, Senate removes him from office, voluntarily does not seek reelection.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 10:38 AM   #56
Garrison
Illuminator

trump tweets

The Democrats will probably submit a Bill, being cute as always, which gives everything away but gives NOTHING to Border Security, namely the Wall. You see, without the Wall there can be no Border Security - the Tech “stuff” is just, by comparison, meaningless bells & whistles...

I imagine Nancy Pelosi is sat with a nice glance of wine enjoying herself as Trump posts increasingly absurd tweets about the wall. He really can't grasp that the Dems aren't going to come running until he offers some sort of compromise.
Old 1st January 2019, 10:42 AM   #57
Ladewig
I lost an avatar bet.

That does sound very Trumpian

Did he really propose pulling the US troops out of South Korea?
Old 1st January 2019, 11:14 AM   #58
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

Congratulations to President
@JairBolsonaro who just made a great inauguration speech - the U.S.A. is with you!
Old 1st January 2019, 11:37 AM   #59
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Yes, https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/w...uth-korea.html

Eta: sorry thought you said "doesn't sound very Trumpian".

How does that not sound Trumpian? He's an isolationist, "in love" with North Korea's head of state. His words.

Last edited by lobosrul5; 1st January 2019 at 12:09 PM.
lobosrul5 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:41 AM   #60
Armitage72
Master Poster

trump Tweets

Congratulations to President
@JairBolsonaro who just made a great inauguration speech - the U.S.A. is with you!

But not as great as his inauguration speech, and the crowds were nowhere near as big.
Armitage72 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 11:43 AM   #61
jimbob
Uncritical "thinker"

I think 8 and 9 are likely:

Quote:
8 Fox News hosts are beginning to question the Trump administration’s actions on air, showing cracks — albeit, small cracks at the moment — in Fox’s heretofore 100 percent fealty to Trump;

9 These cracks will expand into chasms as news and entertainment mogul Rupert Murdoch calculates Trump’s prognosis and decides he doesn’t want his Fox News network to go down the drain with Trump;
When the Tories in Britain were obviously losing to Labour in the mid to late 1990s Murdoch switched the Sun to Labour, thus preserving his image as a kingmaker as he backed the winner.
link is 2015 data (2013 Data below):
UK 8.5% of GDP of which 83.3% is public expenditure - 7.1% of GDP is public spending
US 16.4% of GDP of which 48.2% is public expenditure - 7.9% of GDP is public spending
jimbob is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 12:10 PM   #62
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Trump Tweets

Obama fired McChrystal. I'm surprised that alone didn't cause Trump to appoint him to his administration.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 12:22 PM   #63
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Quote:
Tell that to the Chinese and their Great Wall.

Quote:
The idea of walling off a nation, either to stop immigration flows or foreign invaders, has broad historical appeal — from Roman Emperor Hadrian's stone wall to Israel's West Bank wall and Northern Ireland's divide between its Protestant and Catholic neighborhoods. However, walls are often more symbolic barriers than practical ones. The Germans just marched around the French Maginot Line to invade Belgium, and the Manchurians repeatedly broke through the Great Wall of China.
(USA Today)

The Berlin Wall, designed to keep people in, not out, was also not 100% effective and it had armed guards in towers with orders to 'shoot to kill' and a 'no man's land' replete with night lighting and barbed wire.

Quote:
The Berlin Wall was pretty effective, with its ample guards and shoot-to-kill orders keeping the emigration success rate at just 5 percent, Przybyla notes, but in order to match that, the U.S. would need about 60,000 border guards (with shoot-to-kill orders).
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wall/72026830/

If we ever needed proof that Trump does not live in reality, but in his own alternate world of made up "fact", this is it.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 01:09 PM   #64
Tero
Graduate Poster

Is there any reason to show up? Just send Pelosi bill to Senate, then it is on them.
Quote:
Invitations for the meeting went to incoming Speaker Nancy Pelosi and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer as well as House GOP leaders Kevin McCarthy and Steve Scalise, Senate Democratic leaders Chuck Schumer and Dick Durbin and Senate Republican leaders Mitch McConnell and John Thune.
Trump planning to yell at Democrats again.
Tero is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 01:19 PM   #65
Stacyhs
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Tero View Post
Is there any reason to show up? Just send Pelosi bill to Senate, then it is on them.

Trump planning to yell at Democrats again.
Wanna bet he calls them by their first names again?
Old 1st January 2019, 01:24 PM   #66
Safe-Keeper
Philosopher

Quote:
[The Germans just marched around the French Maginot Line to invade Belgium
Not that old "lol they just went around it" narrative again.

I would focus more on how they are absurd comparisons to begin with.
Old 1st January 2019, 01:42 PM   #67
lobosrul5
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Safe-Keeper View Post
Not that old "lol they just went around it" narrative again.

I would focus more on how they are absurd comparisons to begin with.
No, the French were not so dumb as to think the Germans wouldn't go around.

Before we go full on derail. I think there's a thread about this in the history subforum.
Old 1st January 2019, 02:10 PM   #68
TheSupermeerkat
Critical Thinker

Originally Posted by Ladewig View Post

Yes he did/does. I get the feeling that he wants to turn USA military presence into a protection racket.
TheSupermeerkat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 02:11 PM   #69
mgidm86
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Tell that to the Chinese and their Great Wall.

(USA Today)

The Berlin Wall, designed to keep people in, not out, was also not 100% effective and it had armed guards in towers with orders to 'shoot to kill' and a 'no man's land' replete with night lighting and barbed wire.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...wall/72026830/

If we ever needed proof that Trump does not live in reality, but in his own alternate world of made up "fact", this is it.
Who said a wall would be 100% effective?

Here we see that...

Quote:
The Berlin Wall was pretty effective, with its ample guards and shoot-to-kill orders keeping the emigration success rate at just 5 percent, Przybyla notes, but in order to match that, the U.S. would need about 60,000 border guards (with shoot-to-kill orders).

Except that...

Quote:
During the history of the Berlin Wall (1961 to 1989), nearly 80 people were killed trying to cross from East to West Berlin. East German officials always claimed that the wall was erected to protect the communist regime from the pernicious influences of Western capitalism and culture. In the nearly 30 years that the wall existed, however, no one was ever shot trying to enter East Berlin.
80 people killed in 28 years. Not bad. Probably more than that die trying to cross our deserts every few years. Lives saved! Right?

So we now see, thanks to your research, that walls are actually very effective! Sounds like a winner! Oh some people broke through the Great Wall - hey that can happen. Shrug. Who did that, a few people looking to immigrate, or maybe it was someone else?

Ask Hillary, Obama and the rest of the gang what kind of barriers they wanted when they were in favor of them before Trump was elected President. I believe it was a combination of walls, mostly fences. You know, barriers. They even voted for it once (700 miles of fencing I believe).

Now that Trump is President barriers are suddenly ineffective. They are liars.

So now we see that the Berlin Wall was actually effective and that Hillary and Obama want barriers too, just not Trumps barrier.

So what do the great minds of ISF think is the best way to keep out illegals? Or do you actually want to? I don't think the Republicans or the Democrats truly want to.

Last edited by mgidm86; 1st January 2019 at 02:13 PM.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 02:18 PM   #70
Mojo
Mostly harmless

Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
So what do the great minds of ISF think is the best way to keep out illegals?

Run the entire economy into the ground so they won’t want to come in.

"The poor mystic homeopaths feel like petted house-cats thrown at high flood on the breaking ice." - Leon Trotsky
Mojo is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 02:25 PM   #71
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by lobosrul5 View Post
Trump goes? Do you mean voluntarily? I think of any potential outcome that's the least likely. I'd order them: is not reelected in November, is reelected, is primaried, dies, military coup, Senate removes him from office, voluntarily does not seek reelection.
The prediction is 20 GOP Senators defect and Trump is impeached.
Old 1st January 2019, 02:26 PM   #72
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by Garrison View Post
I imagine Nancy Pelosi is sat with a nice glance of wine enjoying herself as Trump posts increasingly absurd tweets about the wall. He really can't grasp that the Dems aren't going to come running until he offers some sort of compromise.
Trump so looks like he's having a toddler tantrum. I just don't see even the white supremacists getting all outraged about the hordes on the southern border or wall at this point.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 1st January 2019 at 02:27 PM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 1st January 2019, 03:03 PM   #73
Garrison
Illuminator

That would be this guy:

Quote:
Old 1st January 2019, 03:08 PM   #74
Garrison
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Run the entire economy into the ground so they won’t want to come in.
Or properly enforce the system designed to stop US employers using illegal immigrant labour. Of course that can't happen because half of US agriculture would probably collapse.
Old 1st January 2019, 03:27 PM   #75
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump tweets

Border Security and the Wall “thing” and Shutdown is not where Nancy Pelosi wanted to start her tenure as Speaker! Let’s make a deal?
Old 1st January 2019, 03:28 PM   #76
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Here we see that...

Except that...

80 people killed in 28 years. Not bad. Probably more than that die trying to cross our deserts every few years. Lives saved! Right?

So we now see, thanks to your research, that walls are actually very effective! Sounds like a winner! Oh some people broke through the Great Wall - hey that can happen. Shrug. Who did that, a few people looking to immigrate, or maybe it was someone else?

Ask Hillary, Obama and the rest of the gang what kind of barriers they wanted when they were in favor of them before Trump was elected President. I believe it was a combination of walls, mostly fences. You know, barriers. They even voted for it once (700 miles of fencing I believe).

Now that Trump is President barriers are suddenly ineffective. They are liars.

So now we see that the Berlin Wall was actually effective and that Hillary and Obama want barriers too, just not Trumps barrier.

So what do the great minds of ISF think is the best way to keep out illegals? Or do you actually want to? I don't think the Republicans or the Democrats truly want to.
Who has claimed that some fences in some areas aren't needed or effective?
Old 1st January 2019, 03:45 PM   #77
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

There's an important new guideline for critical thinkers operating under time pressure: If there's something especially moronic being bandied about, check to see if Trump said it before commenting.

The steel slats, per the design recently circulated, will have 9" gaps in between the slats. This provides no impediment whatsoever for packages of meth.

Moreover, skinny people can slip through the gaps with the help of a little bit of Mexican lard. There's even an incident where a prisoner in Tennessee greased up and escaped through a gap half that size!
Old 1st January 2019, 04:13 PM   #78
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

Trump Tweets

“Kim Jong Un says North Korea will not make or test nuclear weapons, or give them to others - & he is ready to meet President Trump anytime.” PBS News Hour. I also look forward to meeting with Chairman Kim who realizes so well that North Korea possesses great economic potential!
Old 1st January 2019, 04:16 PM   #79
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

NPR is reminding everyone there are a lot of people going without paychecks, not just a few folks in DC. Three weeks without a paycheck because Trump is a pouting *******.
Old 1st January 2019, 04:16 PM   #80
Captain_Swoop
Penultimate Amazing

trump Tweets

Gas prices are low and expected to go down this year. This would be good!

Washington Examiner - “MAGA list: 205 ‘historic results’ help Trump make case for 2020 re-election.” True!

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics