ISF Logo   IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics
 


Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Reply
Old 8th January 2019, 09:32 AM   #361
lomiller
Philosopher
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,564
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
Personally, I would be happy to go along with higher taxes on the wealthy. Republicans have boxed themselves in on this issue. Because they believe that tax increases are wrong (not morally, but economically),
There is no more merit to “lower taxes are better for the economy” than “more spending is better for the economy”. In the short term, but only the short term, either have an economic stimulus effect if you engage in deficit spending but this isn’t an effective long term strategy and neither will ever “pay for themselves”.

A real discussion on this would look at economic efficiency of a specific program or policy, but Republicans always run from these types of debates. Instead they though out sweeping generalizations and buzzwords that may or may not apply to a specific program.
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
they have protected lots of wealthy people who turn around and vote their socially liberal consciences. If the liberal rich started having to actually pay higher taxes as a result of voting Democratic, they might think twice about it.
If tax rates are applied equally to everyone in that earnings bracket, rich Democrats probably don’t care. All to often what we actually see are lazy, self entitled Republicans insisting that Democrats pay for everything while all the money paid by Democrats be directed towards Republican agendas.


Originally Posted by Brainster View Post

As for AOC, she's a twit who clearly doesn't understand how to get things done (or basic economics).
Republican supporters are the very last people who should criticize people for their views on economics. There are reasons why trained Economists lean heavily towards the Democrats. As with the "economic benefits" of lower taxes vs more spending even the worst economic policies coming confined to the fringes of the Democratic Party are usually the flip side of normal, mainstream Republican folly.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"

Last edited by lomiller; 8th January 2019 at 09:33 AM.
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 09:39 AM   #362
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42,244
Originally Posted by Ron_Tomkins View Post
Damn.... the Republicans are really desperate to find something.... anything!... aren't they?
Not as desperate as Democrats are to find someone... anyone!
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 09:56 AM   #363
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing
 
Squeegee Beckenheim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 23,521
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
This entire thread is based on the idea that this one random tweet from one random anonymous idiot represents some coordinated attack on AOC from the Right that the Left has to launch some sort of preemptive strike on.
No it isn't.
__________________
I don't trust atoms. They make up everything.
Squeegee Beckenheim is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 10:18 AM   #364
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

If it weren't for double standards, you wouldn't have any standards at all.
AOC is not a genius in comparison, because she graduated from a top school. She's a genius because W.Bush and Trump are morons. Especially Trump.

On a side note.
Anyone who has attended a top school can tell you there are two kinds of students. Those that both gain entry and graduate because of wealthy family connections and those that are brilliant and work hard.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 10:45 AM   #365
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42,244
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
AOC is not a genius in comparison, because she graduated from a top school. She's a genius because W.Bush and Trump are morons.
That's... not how it works.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:05 AM   #366
plague311
Great minds think...
 
plague311's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 4,857
Originally Posted by JoeMorgue View Post
*Head desk*

This entire thread is based on the idea that this one random tweet from one random anonymous idiot represents some coordinated attack on AOC from the Right that the Left has to launch some sort of preemptive strike on.
That's what you've taken from this thread? Uh, ok.

The reason that people think there is a coordinated attack on AOC is because, in addition to this situation, they have commented on every ******* thing from her clothes to her trying to figure out how to make rent in DC.

I don't know what your interest in attempting to boil this down like it's a one off scenario is, it makes no sense, but you're wrong.

Unless of course you can show that all of the right wing talking heads attempting to insult AOC is for some other random reason. Do some research online and you'll find a myriad of right wingers talking about her fairly consistently.
__________________
"All acts performed in the world begin in the imagination."--Barbara Grizzuti Harrison

“There are times when the mind is dealt such a blow it hides itself in insanity. While this may not seem beneficial, it is. There are times when reality is nothing but pain, and to escape that pain the mind must leave reality behind.” - Patrick Rothfuss
plague311 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:10 AM   #367
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,452
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

If it weren't for double standards, you wouldn't have any standards at all.
It's not a double standard, it's relying on the information we at hand. All we really know about AOC is that she has a working class background and got into, and graduated from, a top college. What we know about Bush and Trump is that they likely got into prestigious colleges based on family money and connections, and they have lifetime records of saying and doing dumb stuff, Trump much more than Bush. Different standards apply to different circumstances.

Last edited by Bob001; 8th January 2019 at 11:11 AM.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:17 AM   #368
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,452
Originally Posted by Brainster View Post
.....
As for AOC, she's a twit who clearly doesn't understand how to get things done (or basic economics). That said, I certainly didn't see anything shocking in the video.

Here's a Nobel economics laureate who thinks her knowledge of economics is just fine.
Quote:
Diminishing marginal utility is the common-sense notion that an extra dollar is worth a lot less in satisfaction to people with very high incomes than to those with low incomes. Give a family with an annual income of $20,000 an extra $1,000 and it will make a big difference to their lives. Give a guy who makes $1 million an extra thousand and he’ll barely notice it.

What this implies for economic policy is that we shouldn’t care what a policy does to the incomes of the very rich. A policy that makes the rich a bit poorer will affect only a handful of people, and will barely affect their life satisfaction, since they will still be able to buy whatever they want.
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/o...icy-dance.html
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:33 AM   #369
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's... not how it works.
No, its EXACTLY how it works.

Trump talks about how smart he is. But smart people don't pretend that they know more than intelligent experts that have dedicated their lives to a specific subject like Trump does constantly.

Few people know more about cheating investors and declaring bankruptcy and profiting than Trump does. He's proven he's an expert in that field. But Trump thinks he's an expert in every field and he never studies!
He says he;
knows more about war than the generals,
knows more about The economy than economists,
knows more about climatology than scientists.

That my friend is a moron.

AOC may not be a genius compared to the every college graduate, but compared to Trump she certainly is.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume

Last edited by acbytesla; 8th January 2019 at 11:45 AM.
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:43 AM   #370
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,603
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
Yes and? I've more or less expressed the same sentiment upthread as you express here. You need not subject your head to further abuse, as tempting as it may be to posture vacuously.
@Joe And funny enough, I just re-read my post and was reminded that it was addressed to you. This is a prime example of the things I've pointed out to you previously. Your tribe is the Middle Ground High Horse Tribe, infamous for vague, vacuous posturing.
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 11:52 AM   #371
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6,865
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

If it weren't for double standards, you wouldn't have any standards at all.
Quote:
Gwenda Blair, in her 2001 book “The Trumps,” said that Trump’s grades at Fordham were just “respectable” and that he got into Wharton mainly because he had an interview with an admissions officer who had been a high school classmate of his older brother. And Wharton’s admissions team surely knew that Trump was from one of New York’s wealthiest families.
Quote:
His former classmates said he seemed a student who spoke up a lot but rarely shined in class
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.92e2a3d25d98

You'd think that a "stable genius" who has "one of the greatest memories of all time" and whose "I.Q. is one of the highest" would graduate with more than just "respectable grades". He did not graduate with any honors at all. In fact, he didn't even make the dean's list. And if you think that the fact his father was a billionaire didn't influence his admission into Wharton, then you probably think he really had bone spurs, too.

By the way, Trump isn't an idiot in the strict sense of the word. It's not that he has low IQ, but that he behaves like a fool and says stupid things that result from his NPD.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:01 PM   #372
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,452
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
.....
By the way, Trump isn't an idiot in the strict sense of the word. It's not that he has low IQ, but that he behaves like a fool and says stupid things that result from his NPD.

As has been noted before, in TV interviews recorded in the '80s and '90s, Trump was articulate, clever and self-aware in ways that we haven't seen during his campaign and presidency. If he was a bad student, it was likely because he was lazy and uninterested, not stupid. I'm not sure that should count against someone in the context of their lifetime achievement. Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were crappy students, too. But Trump has been a crook all his life, educated by his father and Roy Cohn, and he clearly has suffered obvious mental decline in recent years. That's what we are talking about today.
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:27 PM   #373
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42,244
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, its EXACTLY how it works.
No. Nobody is intelligent because someone else is stupid. That is exactly how it doesn't work. A person would have to be stupid to think it did work that way.

Quote:
AOC may not be a genius compared to the every college graduate, but compared to Trump she certainly is.
The statement wasn't comparative, it was absolute. Learn to read.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:28 PM   #374
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42,244
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
It's not a double standard, it's relying on the information we at hand. All we really know about AOC is that she has a working class background and got into, and graduated from, a top college.
That's absolutely not true. We have much more to go on, namely the stuff she says.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:42 PM   #375
tyr_13
Penultimate Amazing
 
tyr_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 15,917
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
That's absolutely not true. We have much more to go on, namely the stuff she says.
So she's smarter than all the people thus far brought up in comparison and all the people slamming her here, by that criteria.
__________________
Circled nothing is still nothing.
"Nothing will stop the U.S. from being a world leader, not even a handful of adults who want their kids to take science lessons from a book that mentions unicorns six times." -UNLoVedRebel
Mumpsimus: a stubborn person who insists on making an error in spite of being shown that it is wrong
tyr_13 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:52 PM   #376
Crossbow
Seeking Honesty and Sanity
 
Crossbow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Charleston, WV
Posts: 12,431
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

If it weren't for double standards, you wouldn't have any standards at all.
Well, if you are actually worried about double standards, then here are my standards (and I expect that quite a few other people adhere to them as well):

If AOC murdered hundreds of thousands of people, like George W. Bush did in Iraq and ran the USA in the ground, as George W. Bush almost did

and/or

If AOC stole hundreds of millions of dollars from the government, the people working for her, the people attending her college, her own charity, and her own family, like Trump has done

Then I would have many disparaging things to say about AOC.
__________________
On 22 JUL 2016, Candidate Donald Trump in his acceptance speech: "There can be no prosperity without law and order."
On 05 FEB 2019, President Donald Trump said in his Sate of the Union Address: "If there is going to be peace and legislation, there cannot be war and investigation."
On 15 FEB 2019 BobTheCoward said: "I constantly assert I am a fool."
A man's best friend is his dogma.
Crossbow is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:53 PM   #377
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles
 
TragicMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Monkey
Posts: 47,691
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. Nobody is intelligent because someone else is stupid. That is exactly how it doesn't work. A person would have to be stupid to think it did work that way.
Intelligence is a property that one possesses, and that property itself doesn't change by being compared to others...but the valuation of that property does change relative to the others being compared. I don't lose or gain actual height by moving from a room full of toddlers to a room full of NBA players, but I do go from being tall to being short. If I were the only human in existence I'd still be 5'11" but I'd neither be tall nor short, for lack of anybody else for comparison. Likewise Trump has exactly the same amount of intelligence whether you're comparing him to Beavis or to Daria, but he will be smarter than one and stupider than the other.
__________________
You added nothing to that conversation, Barbara.
TragicMonkey is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:56 PM   #378
Upchurch
Papa Funkosophy
 
Upchurch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 31,112
Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
the Middle Ground High Horse Tribe
Imma steal that.
__________________
"There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact." -- Sherlock Holmes.
"It’s easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." -- Mark Twain, maybe.
Upchurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 12:58 PM   #379
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42,244
Originally Posted by tyr_13 View Post
So she's smarter than all the people thus far brought up in comparison and all the people slamming her here, by that criteria.
I never brought up anyone in comparison. But that seems to be the only real defense of her.

Sad.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:02 PM   #380
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. Nobody is intelligent because someone else is stupid. That is exactly how it doesn't work. A person would have to be stupid to think it did work that way.

The statement wasn't comparative, it was absolute. Learn to read.

In of to itself, you are correct. But I said 'in comparison. And I'm sorry, intelligence is judged comparatively to others. People set benchmarks. We grade on a curve.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:04 PM   #381
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I never brought up anyone in comparison. But that seems to be the only real defense of her.

Sad.
No. You used a straw man to suggest she wasn't.smart.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:19 PM   #382
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 3,642
Originally Posted by Bob001 View Post
Here's a Nobel economics laureate who thinks her knowledge of economics is just fine.


https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/05/o...icy-dance.html
The "if Paul Krugman says it's true, then it's true!" argument.

That particular tactic hasn't worked out very well historically.
__________________
I drink to the general joy o' th' whole table. --William Shakespeare
sir drinks-a-lot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:22 PM   #383
lomiller
Philosopher
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,564
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I never brought up anyone in comparison.
All meaningful assessments of intelligence are comparative. It reflects badly on you that you haven’t even attempt any type of meaningful assessment before throwing around your assertions.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:27 PM   #384
lomiller
Philosopher
 
lomiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,564
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In of to itself, you are correct.
No he still isn't. Intelligence is something we only understand by comparison. Even if there were some way to score intelligence properly the score itself would be meaningless without something to compare it to.
__________________
"Anything's possible, but only a few things actually happen"
lomiller is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:32 PM   #385
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by lomiller View Post
No he still isn't. Intelligence is something we only understand by comparison. Even if there were some way to score intelligence properly the score itself would be meaningless without something to compare it to.
No, he's right ...and you're right. Just because someone else is dumb, it doesn't make someone else smart. But as you said, we understand through comparison.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:39 PM   #386
mgidm86
Philosopher
 
mgidm86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 5,174
Twitter:

Quote:
“For example, it looks like @PolitiFact has fact-checked Sarah Huckabee Sanders and myself the *same* amount of times: 6,” she said. “She’s been serving for 2 years. I’ve served 4 days. Why is she fact-checked so little? Is she adhering to some standard we don’t know about?”
Oh no, Sarah Sanders is never picked on by the press!

It's okay, OC, CNN and the left-wing media aren't reporting your gaffes. These quotes do not exist on CNN or NPR. I searched. Must be why so many liberals think she's the next coming - they don't see the stories

Just because it's funny...
Quote:
She added: “Another question for @politifact: some officials’ statements (ex. Andrew Cuomo) get rated ‘true’ frequently. I say true things all the time – I’d hope most do. When does Politifact choose to rate true statements? Is there a guide? I’d be happy to repost if there is.”
Yes there is a guide. It's called "Do Research, Don't Lie".

Quote:
Fact-checking is critically important. It’s not always fun. But that’s okay! It pushes me to be better.

It’s important that if fact-checkers are referees, everyone know the rules - and those rules be as clear + fair as possible for all to play.

Thank you for the work you do.
What a screwball. If you don't understand the rules of politics then I don't know what to tell you.

I (and others I presume) pick on this woman because she is an example of how unhinged many on the left have become (they voted for her). She is also one of the most radical congresspersons I have ever seen. How could a Democratic Socialist (whatever that even is) not get attention?
__________________
Franklin understands certain kickbacks you obtain unfairly are legal liabilities; however, a risky deed's almost never detrimental despite extra external pressures.
mgidm86 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:46 PM   #387
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing
 
Ziggurat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 42,244
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
In of to itself, you are correct. But I said 'in comparison.
But the statements I'm arguing against didn't.

Quote:
And I'm sorry, intelligence is judged comparatively to others. People set benchmarks. We grade on a curve.
And on a population-wide curve, she isn't smart. She may not be dumb (though her diploma doesn't suffice to prove that), but she's not really bright either.
__________________
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:48 PM   #388
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
Twitter:

Oh no, Sarah Sanders is never picked on by the press!

It's okay, OC, CNN and the left-wing media aren't reporting your gaffes. These quotes do not exist on CNN or NPR. I searched. Must be why so many liberals think she's the next coming - they don't see the stories

Just because it's funny...
Yes there is a guide. It's called "Do Research, Don't Lie".

What a screwball. If you don't understand the rules of politics then I don't know what to tell you.

I (and others I presume) pick on this woman because she is an example of how unhinged many on the left have become (they voted for her). She is also one of the most radical congresspersons I have ever seen. How could a Democratic Socialist (whatever that even is) not get attention?
No, that's not why you pick on her. You pick on her because she makes a hell of a lot more sense than the incredibly stupid arguments made on the right. That and her message is getting across to the public. They like her, she's popular and that makes her a threat.

Because God forbid, we spend more on education and healthcare because trust fund babies might have to without a new Ferrari this year.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:52 PM   #389
Shalamar
Dark Lord of the JREF
 
Shalamar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,450
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
No, that's not why you pick on her. You pick on her because she makes a hell of a lot more sense than the incredibly stupid arguments made on the right. That and her message is getting across to the public. They like her, she's popular and that makes her a threat.

Because God forbid, we spend more on education and healthcare because trust fund babies might have to without a new Ferrari this year.
At least she's not talking rank absurdities like 'trickle down economics'.
__________________

"The truth is out there. But the lies are inside your head."
Shalamar is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 01:52 PM   #390
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing
 
varwoche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Puget Sound
Posts: 12,603
Originally Posted by mgidm86 View Post
... It's okay, OC, CNN and the left-wing media aren't reporting your gaffes. These quotes do not exist on CNN or NPR. I searched. Must be why so many liberals think she's the next coming - they don't see the stories
I'd like to fact-check you, but you've provided insufficient data. Which quotes?
__________________
To survive election season on a skeptics forum, one must understand Hymie-the-Robot.
varwoche is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:01 PM   #391
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
But the statements I'm arguing against didn't.
So? I think comparisons are required.

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And on a population-wide curve, she isn't smart. She may not be dumb (though her diploma doesn't suffice to prove that), but she's not really bright either.
And how did you come to that conclusion? Are you in possession of her IQ or SAT tests?

Or did you do it the Trumpian way and pulled it out of your ass?

I've heard her interviewed multiple times and IMV, she comes across as highly intelligent and articulate. Now maybe she's a pretender. I've certainly dealt with my share of those.
But I can usually spot those.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:03 PM   #392
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Shalamar View Post
At least she's not talking rank absurdities like 'trickle down economics'.
Are you going to pull out the Laffer curve?
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:13 PM   #393
GlennB
Loggerheaded, earth-vexing fustilarian
 
GlennB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arcadia, Greece
Posts: 24,235
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And on a population-wide curve, she isn't smart. She may not be dumb (though her diploma doesn't suffice to prove that), but she's not really bright either.
What leads you to that conclusion, based on "a population-wide curve" ?
__________________
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day. 9/11 truth is a clock with no hands." - Beachnut
GlennB is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 02:32 PM   #394
Bob001
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 8,452
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
....
And on a population-wide curve, she isn't smart. She may not be dumb (though her diploma doesn't suffice to prove that), but she's not really bright either.
And you say that because you don't agree with her positions? If she said "I love Trump," you'd call her the smartest woman in Congress, right?
Bob001 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:04 PM   #395
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6,865
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post

And on a population-wide curve, she isn't smart. She may not be dumb (though her diploma doesn't suffice to prove that), but she's not really bright either.
Do you think graduating cum laude in economics from a top ranked university is something that a "not really bright" person can do?

You're trying awfully hard to argue that AOC isn't smart when solid evidence shows otherwise. But it's not really about her intelligence is it? It's really that you just don't agree with her; therefore she's not smart.

I don't agree with a lot of conservatives politicians' views, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're intelligent.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:15 PM   #396
acbytesla
Penultimate Amazing
 
acbytesla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 20,708
Originally Posted by Stacyhs View Post
Do you think graduating cum laude in economics from a top ranked university is something that a "not really bright" person can do?

You're trying awfully hard to argue that AOC isn't smart when solid evidence shows otherwise. But it's not really about her intelligence is it? It's really that you just don't agree with her; therefore she's not smart.

I don't agree with a lot of conservatives politicians' views, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're intelligent.
I almost NEVER agreed with Cheney and always thought he was smart. W, not so much. I always thought Goldwater and Nixon were smart too.
__________________
“ A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence. ”
― David Hume
acbytesla is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:16 PM   #397
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,859
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
I love the internal inconsistencies of the left. AOC's must be smart because she graduated from a top school, but Trump and Bush are idiots even though they did too.

If it weren't for double standards, you wouldn't have any standards at all.
Ocasio-Cortez graduated with honors and had other notable academic achievements.

Bush and Trump did not.

There is no double standard.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:24 PM   #398
Stacyhs
Philosopher
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 6,865
Originally Posted by acbytesla View Post
I almost NEVER agreed with Cheney and always thought he was smart. W, not so much. I always thought Goldwater and Nixon were smart too.
Agreed.
Stacyhs is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 03:26 PM   #399
johnny karate
... and your little dog too.
 
johnny karate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,859
Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
And on a population-wide curve, she isn't smart. She may not be dumb (though her diploma doesn't suffice to prove that), but she's not really bright either.
Next you’ll be tellling us that she’s a thin-skinned narcissist.
johnny karate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th January 2019, 04:00 PM   #400
sir drinks-a-lot
Illuminator
 
sir drinks-a-lot's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Cole Valley, CA
Posts: 3,642
Originally Posted by johnny karate View Post
Ocasio-Cortez graduated with honors and had other notable academic achievements.
What were some of her other notable academic achievements?
__________________
I drink to the general joy o' th' whole table. --William Shakespeare
sir drinks-a-lot is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Reply

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » USA Politics

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:35 PM.
Powered by vBulletin. Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

This forum began as part of the James Randi Education Foundation (JREF). However, the forum now exists as
an independent entity with no affiliation with or endorsement by the JREF, including the section in reference to "JREF" topics.

Disclaimer: Messages posted in the Forum are solely the opinion of their authors.