IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 17th September 2021, 09:31 AM   #41
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

I'm sure it was said, but any chance of mist or fog or even smoke/smog/fumes causing lights to appear distorted?

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th December 2021, 11:02 PM   #42
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I just saw another one! Very strange.

I have been watching the skies at looking at aircraft in the sky sometimes and thinking about whether this is what I am seeing. The aircraft I see move much slower. Unless it is tiny point in the sky, I can hear the plane. It is rather quite back here. I have also found out that I can track aircraft on sites like globe.adsbexchange.com and flightradar24.com. It's kind of fun.

I checked and there are no aircraft anywhere in the area at all. It is extremely quiet tonight. I did not hear anything.

This one was a bit unusual in that it came down from the right instead of the left. I have only seen that once or maybe twice before. There are other condos to the left. But to the right is just a field and then a road with a couple small houses and then another road and then forest.

There is no wind. It is perfectly still out tonight.

It came down at an angle of about 60 degrees, which is what I almost always see. This one was pure white. No sparkling lights behind. I was in a position where I could see it a bit longer before it went behind the trees. It definitely looked local; not something in the far distance, which is how I have perceived previous instances.

This was not an aircraft. It wasn't fireworks. It was not lightning bugs (not around at this time of year). Not reflections off clouds. I am convinced it was not something distant like a meteorite.

As with every other previous sighting, this looks like a local light coming down at a sharp angle. But tonight, there is no wind at all.

I am perplexed. Simply baffled. I cannot imagine what it is that I am seeing.
Old 12th December 2021, 11:23 PM   #43
Pixel42
Schrödinger's cat

Could it be a drone?
Old 13th December 2021, 01:49 AM   #44
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Pixel42 View Post
Could it be a drone?
No. I have seen drones around here and have one myself. Definitely not a drone.
Old 13th December 2021, 12:13 PM   #45
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Would a pair of decently powered binoculars and a tripod be useful? I've seen the Galilean moons of Jupiter with my binoculars.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th December 2021, 01:00 PM   #46
Masque
Scholar

Bird lit from underneath by sun below the horizon? Or, for that matter, a balloon similarly lit.

Last edited by Masque; 13th December 2021 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Add balloon
Masque is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th December 2021, 02:38 PM   #47
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Have you checked the orbits of satelites and other space stuff in your area at that date and time?

https://in-the-sky.org/satpasses.php

Some of the stuff in space is very bright when conditions are right.

I've only managed to catch an Iridium flare once, but it was very visible even against a daylight sky.
Old 16th December 2021, 04:37 PM   #48
marting
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Skeptic Ginger View Post
I vote aircraft if you have ruled out Venus.

Sometimes depending on the angle, planes can look like they are doing strange things but if you were to see the same plane from the side it would look like you expect it to.
I remember flying back to Calif and seeing a surprisingly bright Venus. It is really darned bright at times depending on where the Sun is and angles and such. I've heard of other pilots thinking it was some other plane's headlight but normally those aren't on except for landing.

I did once see a really distorted horizon as a result of a front coming in and the way the Sun was setting. Visually very distorting of perspective and to keep from doing stupid stuff switched to instruments only and just looked out the window briefly for traffic and enjoying the beauty of Nature.

Sadly, I haven't seen anything I'd classify as going beyond the laws of physics.
Old 16th December 2021, 06:03 PM   #49
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Originally Posted by novaphile View Post
I've only managed to catch an Iridium flare once, but it was very visible even against a daylight sky.
I've told my UFO story before. When I was in the USA for the first time driving through the Arizona desert with Hcmom, I saw a bright light in the sky that seemed to follow us for some time before disappearing. I'm certain it was the sun's reflection off a satellite or something like that, but it looked pretty strange, and not something I would have expected such a phenomenon to look like.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th December 2021, 06:26 PM   #50
mgidm86
Philosopher

Originally Posted by DevilsAdvocate View Post
No. I have seen drones around here and have one myself. Definitely not a drone.

How are you so sure? They (many) can be programmed to fly in any pattern and in swarms. I'd imagine you could attach lights to some.
Old 23rd December 2021, 04:12 PM   #51
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
I've told my UFO story before. When I was in the USA for the first time driving through the Arizona desert with Hcmom, I saw a bright light in the sky that seemed to follow us for some time before disappearing. I'm certain it was the sun's reflection off a satellite or something like that, but it looked pretty strange, and not something I would have expected such a phenomenon to look like.
Note that the "follow us for some time" part is very often reported with sightings of Venus.

It's some kind of parallax error, that distant objects appear to be keeping pace with a moving vehicle.

I've seen other bright lights in the sky that were embarrassingly prosaic:
  1. A blimp with an advertising billboard on the side, the sunlight reflecting off the flat display appeared as a brilliant light in the sky that completely hid the blimp.
  2. A small aeroplane doing sky writing. From where I was, all I could see was the blinding flash of light from the wings every time the plane banked through the point that reflected sunlight to me.
  3. A small aeroplane with an active lighting display under the wings, flying back and forth over the city at night, advertising stuff...

In all of these cases, I was interested enough to get in the car, and drive off to investigate.
With the last one, I was bitterly disappointed, because it seemed so exciting, until it wasn't. (Note: I'd never seen that kind of active display before, so having one in the sky was quite startling)
Old 31st December 2021, 04:33 AM   #52
alexi_drago
Graduate Poster

Seems very unlikely. Flares are meant to go up and burn and then come down. These are moving mostly horizontal with a slight decent.
Illuminating parachute flares?

Quote:
Also, I can't image why there would be so many flares. Or if there were, that the police wouldn't be responding.
Is it many, or are they rare?

Quote:
I only see the lights on rare occasions. Just one light each time. Then it maybe weeks or months before seeing another one. Maybe 3-5 lights per year.
Old 2nd November 2022, 11:00 PM   #53
DevilsAdvocate
Philosopher

I just saw another one. It has been a long time. Right in front of me. Bright white. It was coming almost straight down. Clear sky. Nothing at all on flight radar. No cars or lights around. Mostly quite.

It seemed to just suddenly appear and then went down behind the trees. It did not have the sort of sparkling streak behind it like the others, but it sort of looked like a streak because it was moving so fast. I was looking right in that direction and it was suddenly in the middle of the sky and went down.

This definitely did not look like a meteor. I seemed to be very close, like it was falling just on the other side of the the trees. I remain baffled.

ETA: There was a very faint far distant humming sound. I went back out and listened and it went away after a few minutes. That isn't unusual, but I don't know what it is. Certainly no drones or anything flying around. There was also a extremely faint and constant whooshing sound, but I think that it distant traffic.

Last edited by DevilsAdvocate; 2nd November 2022 at 11:09 PM.
DevilsAdvocate is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 5th November 2022, 04:35 PM   #54
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Hiya, a couple of things that may help your analysis.

1. It is not really possible to tell where a bright object is in three dimensions against the sky etc. because there are just no visual references to help.

For example, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard stories about people being chased by a brilliant white light, that was 'just behind the trees' and in every case it was Venus, being observed from a moving vehicle.

2. The noise you heard may be an artifact of your brain. I've often noticed interesting 'sounds' when I've watched meteors in the sky, but recent have found that no one else hears them. After some experimentation, I've found that my brain manufactures a 'sound' when I'm looking at bright lights. This is called synesthesia.

If we are hearing the actual sound of a meteor, the sound will arrive long after the flash. For example, the way that the sound of a jet overhead, seems to be coming from a place in the sky a long way behind the jet. (i.e. about 1/3 of the sky behind)

Or when watching fireworks at a distance, you see the flash a long time before you here the 'bang'.

My bet is that you saw a meteor (or falling space debris) both of these things are quite common.
Old 5th November 2022, 04:38 PM   #55
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

By the way, there are currently for active meteor showers.

This may help you identify what you saw:

https://www.amsmeteors.org/meteor-sh...ower-calendar/
Old 5th November 2022, 04:52 PM   #56
novaphile
Quester of Doglets

Oh! By the way.

Sometimes orbiting objects can appear to be very bright in the sky.

I've watched ISS fly past a couple of times at night and it is spectacular.

It can suddenly 'appear' in the sky when it passes out of the Earth's shadow, and if conditions are ideal, can be the brightest object in the sky.

Just after sunset one evening, my partner and I saw it rise above the horizon and cross the sky in quite a high arc, and it moves very quickly against the background of the stars.

We were 'thrilled to skinny bits' and racking up guesses on the way home until we checked to see where the ISS was at that point in time.

(NB> I'm always as happy as a ten year old when I see anything like that, I'll probably be ecstatic the first time I see a Starlink 'train' in the sky)
Old 6th November 2022, 02:05 PM   #57
fertilizerspike
New Blood

I just saw another one. It has been a long time. Right in front of me. Bright white. It was coming almost straight down. Clear sky. Nothing at all on flight radar. No cars or lights around. Mostly quite.

It seemed to just suddenly appear and then went down behind the trees. It did not have the sort of sparkling streak behind it like the others, but it sort of looked like a streak because it was moving so fast. I was looking right in that direction and it was suddenly in the middle of the sky and went down.

This definitely did not look like a meteor. I seemed to be very close, like it was falling just on the other side of the the trees. I remain baffled.

ETA: There was a very faint far distant humming sound. I went back out and listened and it went away after a few minutes. That isn't unusual, but I don't know what it is. Certainly no drones or anything flying around. There was also a extremely faint and constant whooshing sound, but I think that it distant traffic.
Maybe you hallucinated it

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology