IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags elon musk

Old 7th May 2020, 01:15 PM   #281
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Or it's Danish.
They've explained that it's a latinized adaptation of one of Tolkien's elvish characters.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 02:40 PM   #282
a_unique_person
Director of Hatcheries and Conditioning

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
The A-12 is indeed referring to the plane, according to Grimes.

Here's her explanation: https://twitter.com/Grimezsz/status/...520101377?s=20

Definitely clears everything up.
Yeah. I knew that.

Last edited by a_unique_person; 7th May 2020 at 03:33 PM.
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 07:22 PM   #283
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

I think they'll just call her "Ash".

Elon explains the pronunciation in the first few seconds of this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RcYjXbSJBN8
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 7th May 2020, 11:41 PM   #284
EHocking
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post

And in later life, the defendent.

A closed mouth gathers no feet"
"Ignorance is a renewable resource" P.J.O'Rourke
"It's all god's handiwork, there's little quality control applied", Fox26 reporter on Texas granite
EHocking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 8th May 2020, 09:39 AM   #285
Jim_MDP
Philosopher

Originally Posted by Roboramma View Post

Now Elon's a business "magnet"?
How the %#$& does that work?

"Suggesting spurious explanations isn't relevant to my work." -- WTC Dust.
"Both cannot be simultaneously true, and so one may conclude neither is true, and if neither is true, then Apollo is fraudulent." -- Patrick1000.
Jim_MDP is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 9th May 2020, 10:46 AM   #286
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

A Californian official, seemingly taking Musk seriously, has confirmed that "X Æ A-12" is not a legitimate name. The 26 letters of the alphabet and some appropriate forms of punctuation only.

So the X and the hyphen are okay.

It's not technically illegal, but it won't enter into the computer system and there's no way it'd end up on a birth certificate. I wonder if there's anywhere where it would?

The thing with Musk, though, is that he's Poe's Lawed himself, so it's impossible to know whether he's being serious, or whether this was a jokey, coded way of announcing that their baby's name is "Xai Archangel Musk".
Old 10th May 2020, 03:38 AM   #287
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Musk is suing California and threatening to move Tesla to another state if he's not allowed to re-open there

California Assemblywoman Lorene Gonzalez has responded: https://twitter.com/LorenaSGonzalez/...87879177531392

Quote:
**** Elon Musk.
[extra censoring mine, to comply with board rules]
Old 10th May 2020, 08:14 AM   #288
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

She came to the sudden realization that Musk is Republican and even worse his personality is just like Trump.
Old 10th May 2020, 03:22 PM   #289
a_unique_person

Originally Posted by William Parcher View Post
She came to the sudden realization that Musk is Republican and even worse his personality is just like Trump.
What?
a_unique_person is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 10th May 2020, 04:01 PM   #290
Garrison
Philosopher

Yes Elon Musk is an *******, difference from Trump is he's an ******* who actually does stuff, not just makes up stuff and then lies about making it up. The answer to the question in the title of this thread has obviously been 'no' for quite a long time so people are reduced to pointing out what an awful personality he has.
Old 10th May 2020, 05:44 PM   #291
a_unique_person

Space X compare Trump University.
Old 11th May 2020, 03:20 PM   #292
zorro99
Graduate Poster

Tesla’s Elon Musk defies county orders to reopen factory, daring officials to arrest him
The chief executive said he reopened production at the company’s Fremont, Calif. factory Monday.

Faiz
SAN FRANCISCO — The fight between Tesla and local officials regarding the reopening of a manufacturing plant escalated Monday after chief executive Elon Musk tweeted his plans and mentioned the potential for arrests.

“Tesla is restarting production today against Alameda County rules,” Musk wrote on Twitter. “I will be on the line with everyone else. If anyone is arrested, I ask that it only be me.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...tesla-factory/
Old 11th May 2020, 11:09 PM   #293
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Wow, and I guess if a worker in his factory does not want to work for fear of his/her health Elon will happily keep paying their wage?
He'd never force other people to gamble with their health by forcing them to work to make his own political point?
Lukraak_Sisser is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 12:20 PM   #294
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Would Trump be willing to go to jail for Capitalism?
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 12:41 PM   #295
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
Wow, and I guess if a worker in his factory does not want to work for fear of his/her health Elon will happily keep paying their wage?
That's not how unemployment works. Musk has no obligation to pay the wage of anyone who chooses not to do the work.

That said, if the work isn't legitimate - for example, if Musk opens up shop against government regulations - then the workers are entitled to unemployment relief when they choose not to work.
theprestige is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 01:22 PM   #296
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by Elagabalus View Post
Would Trump be willing to go to jail for Capitalism?
He said he is willing to be arrested but I don't know if he'd be jailed for the charge. He also said that if anyone is arrested at Tesla let it be only him. That sounds altruistic and taking a bullet for his staff and workers, but it's actually narcissism. I will be your martyr because that's how freaking awesome I am.
Old 12th May 2020, 02:22 PM   #297
cjameshuff
Critical Thinker

He said he is willing to be arrested but I don't know if he'd be jailed for the charge. He also said that if anyone is arrested at Tesla let it be only him. That sounds altruistic and taking a bullet for his staff and workers, but it's actually narcissism. I will be your martyr because that's how freaking awesome I am.
Man, where would we be without you here to provide us the Proper Interpretation of Evil Elon's True Motivations.

He's human. Sometimes humans do dumb things, especially when stressed. He has opportunity to do so unusually publicly and at an unusually large scale.
cjameshuff is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 12th May 2020, 07:45 PM   #298
William Parcher
Show me the monkey!

Originally Posted by cjameshuff View Post
He's human. Sometimes humans do dumb things, especially when stressed. He has opportunity to do so unusually publicly and at an unusually large scale.
Thanks for providing us with the Proper Interpretation of Evil Elon's True Motivations.
Old 12th May 2020, 08:55 PM   #299
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Squeegee Beckenheim View Post
A Californian official, seemingly taking Musk seriously, has confirmed that "X Æ A-12" is not a legitimate name. The 26 letters of the alphabet and some appropriate forms of punctuation only.

So the X and the hyphen are okay.

It's not technically illegal, but it won't enter into the computer system and there's no way it'd end up on a birth certificate. I wonder if there's anywhere where it would?
It may not go into the state's computer systems, but it can be expressed in ASCII so most computers can handle that name. But remember when Prince changed his name for a while? That symbol didn't even have a unicode for it, let alone ASCII.

Quote:
The thing with Musk, though, is that he's Poe's Lawed himself, so it's impossible to know whether he's being serious, or whether this was a jokey, coded way of announcing that their baby's name is "Xai Archangel Musk".
If he's serious, he went against David Mitchell's advice:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law

Last edited by Ziggurat; 12th May 2020 at 08:58 PM.
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 13th May 2020, 10:57 AM   #300
Squeegee Beckenheim
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
It may not go into the state's computer systems, but it can be expressed in ASCII so most computers can handle that name.
The "going into the state's computer systems" is the important bit, if they want that on their child's birth certificate, and for it to be his legal name.
Old 13th May 2020, 12:16 PM   #301
Emily's Cat
Rarely prone to hissy-fits

Originally Posted by 3point14 View Post
Can I just check that I need to be either pro or anti Musk? I'm not allowed to assess the things he does on their own merit? It's either for everything or against everything? Cos that's not going to work for me.
I vote for not being either pro or anti.

I don't personally care what his personality is, since I am not interacting with him in any way. On the other hand, I like the fact that he has big ideas and is willing to pursue them, and that several of them seem like things that will genuinely help humanity in the long run - better solar and electric technology, electric infrastructure, widespread internet access and connectivity, functionally reusable space vehicles.
Old 15th May 2020, 09:06 PM   #302
Elagabalus
Philosopher

Hey, I forgot to mention:

You know Elon Musk's completely made up fake CoronaVirus graphtastic graph as detailed here? Well, none other than Scott ******* Manley showed up to chide Elon's insouciance.* Will Elon continue to gift Scott Manley with insider intel or will he go full Trump and cut him off?

* and no I'm not going to look it up you'll have to do it!
Elagabalus is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2022, 06:12 AM   #303
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Why you should NEVER believe Elon Musk! (part Deux)

I AGREE

Why you should NEVER believe Elon Musk!
Old 2nd November 2022, 04:46 PM   #304
Brainster
Penultimate Amazing

OTOH, Tesla is doing phenomenally. Looked at their financials with a student today and my eyes just about popped out of their sockets. Seriously their revenue is up 40% on the 12-month trailer over last year which means Y/Y is going to be higher. For a company that was already selling 50 billion? They've not only maintained their margins, they've increased them; gross margin is 26.6% in the trailer versus 25.3% last year and net margin is 14.9% versus 10.3%. That is amazing.

Last edited by Brainster; 2nd November 2022 at 04:47 PM.
Brainster is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 02:10 PM   #305
fertilizerspike
New Blood

No

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology