IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 26th October 2022, 09:29 AM   #41
crescent
Philosopher

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I'd be pretty sure that some balloons can be floated with 60/50 or 50/50 especially if you don't care for how long. But that first guys claim of 20/80 seems off. I'll double check his numbers later.
I'm wondering if he's assuming regular air pressure. In a balloon the air pressure is higher - not a huge difference but enough to affect density.

Take a Mylar balloon that has lost enough helium to barely be buoyant. Put it in the shade, it sinks. Put it in full sun, it warms up and that can be enough to expand the gasses a bit and make it float again. It doesn't take much change in pressure to affect density enough to affect the lift of something as low-density as an inflated balloon.

Altitude would be at play as well. A mix that's just enough to float a balloon in Los Angeles might not be enough to float a balloon in Denver.
crescent is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 01:07 PM   #42
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by crescent View Post
I'm wondering if he's assuming regular air pressure.
That's one problem. Two of the articles are only assuming neutral buoyancy and no lift and not allowing for leakage. So not a satisfying customer experience. What's the point of helium balloon that isn't guaranteed to rise to the ceiling or lift a string and a small toy soldier?

However it's now pretty clear a precise answer to how much we can save in balloons isn't really relevant. Balloons are a small part of the issue and it's pretty clear that any helium supply that can satisfy our other needs is going to be be able to satisfy balloon demand as either a byproduct or recycled from primary uses.

The real issue is that a subsidized source has gone away couple with the problem that some current sources are being wasted rather than harvested.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th October 2022, 07:54 PM   #43
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

NMR spectroscopy and chemical research

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy is a cousin of MRI, and it also requires liquid helium. With out NMR spectra, several branches of chemical research, especially organic chemistry, would drastically slow down.
Old 30th October 2022, 03:07 PM   #44
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by casebro View Post
A mix of helium and hydrogen would be harder to light then pure hydrogen....
At the risk of nitpicking pure hydrogen won't ignite, it needs o be mixed with oxygen or another oxygenating agent, such as chlorine or fluorine. For standard air mix a mole% of 3.8 is generally taken to be the lower limit for explosive risk and 76 the upper limit.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2022, 03:15 PM   #45
catsmate
No longer the 1

I'd be pretty sure that some balloons can be floated with 60/50 or 50/50 especially if you don't care for how long. But that first guys claim of 20/80 seems off. I'll double check his numbers later.
Assumptions: one mole of air is taken to be 29g, an average balloon to be 12 litres and weighing 6 grammes, and molar volume at RTP to be 24 litres.

Balloon holds one-half mole or 14.5 grammes air. To allow aerostatic lift this needs to be reduced to 8.5 grammes so what proportion of helium (4g/mol) needs to be substituted for the air?
A 50% mix will work (mass 8.25g) however that's about the minimum limit.
As human right is always something given, it always in reality reduces to the right which men give, "concede," to each other. If the right to existence is conceded to new-born children, then they have the right; if it is not conceded to them, as was the case among the Spartans and ancient Romans, then they do not have it. For only society can give or concede it to them; they themselves cannot take it, or give it to themselves.
catsmate is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 31st October 2022, 07:21 PM   #46
Chris_Halkides
Penultimate Amazing

medicinal chemistry would slow down

Originally Posted by Chris_Halkides View Post
Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy is a cousin of MRI, and it also requires liquid helium. With out NMR spectra, several branches of chemical research, especially organic chemistry, would drastically slow down.
It would be far more difficult to make the next Paxlovid or Remdesivir without H-1 or C-13 nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy. P-31 and F-19 are often helpful as well, but they are more limited in the number of compounds to which they can be applied. Mass spectrometry is a powerful technique in its own right; therefore, I won't say that it would be impossible to make the next generation of antivirals.
Old 1st November 2022, 07:09 AM   #47
pgwenthold
Penultimate Amazing

I'd be pretty sure that some balloons can be floated with 60/50 or 50/50 especially if you don't care for how long.
This is why I realized that it's a mixture. The last He balloons we got only floated for about 12 hrs before they dropped. They used to last a lot longer than that, and would last for a day or more. It was clear that the He was diffusing away faster, and I didn't expect it to be a difference in balloons, so it must have been they started with less He.

It also made sense that the price hadn't gone up. Given the price of He these days (a 99.999% cylinder used to be $40 back in 1990, is not over $500), the way to keep prices done is to have less He
Old 1st November 2022, 11:01 AM   #48
catsmate
No longer the 1

Originally Posted by pgwenthold View Post
This is why I realized that it's a mixture. The last He balloons we got only floated for about 12 hrs before they dropped. They used to last a lot longer than that, and would last for a day or more. It was clear that the He was diffusing away faster, and I didn't expect it to be a difference in balloons, so it must have been they started with less He.

It also made sense that the price hadn't gone up. Given the price of He these days (a 99.999% cylinder used to be $40 back in 1990, is not over $500), the way to keep prices done is to have less He
Back in '99 I was at an Xmas party and discovered that an average balloon could lift an empty sort drink can. Some of them were still floating the new year.
Old 6th November 2022, 02:10 PM   #49
fertilizerspike
New Blood

Pure hyperbole

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology