IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 18th October 2022, 08:09 PM   #241
Nakani
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Lukraak_Sisser View Post
You are the one claiming to present a new ground breaking scientific research method.

Pointing out an error even a high-school student should not make is not pedantic, it shows you have only superficial knowledge about the subject and absolutely no clue on how to write a scientific discourse.

Your answer shows you also are unable to accept criticism of your pet theory in an objective manner, which again suggests you have no actual rebuttal founded in your theory or any scientific knowledge.
I am able to accept criticism, that's why I'm here. I get frustrated when it is my vocabulary that is the subject. I understand that there are different kinds of glass made of different elements, and that it is a combination of atoms that make glass. I was calling that combination, a glass atom. I suppose I should have said 'molecule', sorry for calling you pedantic.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2022, 08:33 PM   #242
Nakani
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
No. You donít understand nodes. The nodes separate different parts of the SAME orbital, they do not separate different orbitals. Oh, and the 1s orbital has no nodes.

Because they graph them separately to make it easier to visualize each one without the whole thing becoming a jumbled mess.

You misunderstand. It does not oscillate between the states. It oscillates in space. So a 2p orbital/1s orbital superposition state will oscillate from being mostly on one side of the nucleus to mostly on the other and then back again. Whatís changing isnít the energy states, but only the phase relationship between them.

I misunderstood; I have been looking at it all wrong. Thanks!

It seems I have some work to do.
Nakani is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th October 2022, 08:54 PM   #243
Nakani
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by tusenfem View Post
Why would a photon miss an electron cloud and hit the nucleus???
I pictured the tension wave pulling on the electron cloud and thus the atoms that make the glass molecules. That is an interaction, my words were misleading. When I said, 'couldn't interact with', I meant increase the electrons energy level.
Old 18th October 2022, 08:58 PM   #244
Nakani
Graduate Poster

In fairness, that's not what amorphous means in the context of glass. It means not crystaline. The atoms still form shapes, just not a crystal structure with a repeating pattern of those shapes.

Everything else he said was wrong, just not that one bit.

Old 18th October 2022, 11:02 PM   #245
Lukraak_Sisser
Illuminator

Originally Posted by Nakani View Post
I am able to accept criticism, that's why I'm here. I get frustrated when it is my vocabulary that is the subject. I understand that there are different kinds of glass made of different elements, and that it is a combination of atoms that make glass. I was calling that combination, a glass atom. I suppose I should have said 'molecule', sorry for calling you pedantic.
Given that you use your vocabulary to explain concepts and that science uses a very specific set of terms to explain things, you should be glad you are corrected.

And you need to be corrected again. Glass is most certainly not made of molecules. If it were it would not remain a solid.
The bond between Si and O is nearly ionic in nature, though not fully. Since you are claiming to explain how electrons interact with photons in a totally novel way, the ignorance you show about the way bonding between atoms is described is not helping your case at all.

As others have suggested, I too would suggest you actually study the literature, in this case the way transition metals bond and how you describe that correctly, before you start claiming you know a radical new way.
Lukraak_Sisser is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2022, 01:03 AM   #246
Lothian
should be banned

In what way does your grid differ from the thesis by esteemed scientist Dr Gene Ray?
Lothian is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2022, 02:22 AM   #247
tusenfem
Illuminator

I pictured the tension wave pulling on the electron cloud and thus the atoms that make the glass molecules. That is an interaction, my words were misleading. When I said, 'couldn't interact with', I meant increase the electrons energy level.
Your words are mainly inunderstandable.
Old 19th October 2022, 03:13 AM   #248
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

In fairness, that's not what amorphous means in the context of glass. It means not crystaline. The atoms still form shapes, just not a crystal structure with a repeating pattern of those shapes.

Everything else he said was wrong, just not that one but.
I sit munching toast corrected: thanks. I think in terms of crystallography at times...
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2022, 03:19 AM   #249
Carrot Flower King
Illuminator

Hence one of my previous posts: there is an already defined and accepted language for pretty much all you are trying to say, but you are not using it. If you don't use that how are we to know exactly what you mean? It appears that you are saying things other than what you mean: this is not about picking on your vocabulary nor about pedantry, but trying to gain clarity and understanding of what you actually mean (and this is before we get to the lack of mathematics...).
Carrot Flower King is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2022, 04:02 AM   #250
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

I misunderstood; I have been looking at it all wrong. Thanks!

It seems I have some work to do.
Yes, if you really want to understand quantum mechanics, you have literally years of work to do, and likely a lot of math to learn along the way as well.

Have you done any calculus? How about linear algebra?
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 19th October 2022, 05:31 PM   #251
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

I want to say that while it is true that quantum mechanics is written in the language of mathematics, it is possible for someone who isn't versed in said mathematics to gain a basic understanding of most of the principles, on a general level. There is plenty of non-technical information available, written for a general audience, and it's not even particularly hard to find.

But it's important to remember that this basic level of understanding is quite superficial, suitable for the scientifically curious lay person, but not sufficient to do any actual science. If you want to use quantum mechanics to make any actual predictions or observations, you must delve deep into the mathematics.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 6th November 2022, 03:19 PM   #252
bruto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by fertilizerspike View Post
This is all gibberish

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
Oh, but wait, there's more. He's promised magnets next.

"There is another world, but it's in this one." (Paul Eluard)
bruto is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology