IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags astronomy , telescopes

Old 20th October 2022, 11:37 PM   #1281
macdoc
Philosopher

Hubble vs Webb
https://digg.com/space/link/nasa-web...tm_source=digg
macdoc is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 03:55 AM   #1282
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by macdoc View Post
Looks like when they release an 80s science-fiction show with "new and improved CGI". I actually prefer the Hubble photo as a photo.
Old 21st October 2022, 06:03 AM   #1283
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Darat View Post
Looks like when they release an 80s science-fiction show with "new and improved CGI". I actually prefer the Hubble photo as a photo.
One of the problems with it is that it's overloaded with diffraction spikes. Makes the whole thing seem like a glam shot of a disco. One of the consequences of the extreme sensitivity of the telescope.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 06:31 AM   #1284
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Very nice. That full size photo takes a long time to load though.

Try this:

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...rs-of-creation
Old 21st October 2022, 06:39 AM   #1285
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I've loaded the HST version of that into image editors and rotated it various ways to see what other names it might have had if the accident of orientation had come out differently. It most often looks like a hand to me.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st October 2022, 06:49 AM   #1286
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I've loaded the HST version of that into image editors and rotated it various ways to see what other names it might have had if the accident of orientation had come out differently. It most often looks like a hand to me.
I've always thought it did look more like a hand than anything else, I wonder if there was a bit of... soul searching.. when they originally named it and decided to avoid "the hand of creation".
Old 24th October 2022, 05:50 AM   #1287
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Once you see that the one in the middle looks like a phallus, you cannot unsee it. You're welcome.
Old 24th October 2022, 06:19 AM   #1288
3point14
Pi

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Once you see that the one in the middle looks like a phallus, you cannot unsee it. You're welcome.
You may need to see a doctor...

Anyone that wraps themselves in the Union Flag and also lives in tax exile is a [redacted]
3point14 is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 24th October 2022, 06:32 AM   #1289
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Old 27th October 2022, 03:36 AM   #1290
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Webb Offers Never-Before-Seen Details of Early Universe

You can click on the image to see options for larger sizes, although the full-size one is a lot of data. But it's nice to scroll around because it contains lots of galaxies.
Old 27th October 2022, 04:13 AM   #1291
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Fascinating. Hard to grasp what we are seeing.
Old 28th October 2022, 04:16 AM   #1292
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Dr. Becky's latest:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9hblaObW4E
Old 28th October 2022, 10:24 AM   #1293
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

Raw URL = fail. Why should I bother clicking the link?
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 03:27 PM   #1294
rjh01
Gentleman of leisure
Tagger

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
Raw URL = fail. Why should I bother clicking the link?
That question was clearly answered in the link. Mind you, as a YouTube addict, I am already subscribed to her channel. This channel is a must-watch for anyone who is interested in astronomy. As you did not already know all of this...
Old 28th October 2022, 04:00 PM   #1295
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I'm against raw url's myself, but "Dr Becky" ought to be enough of an explanation in this thread given how many times she's come up already.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 11:36 PM   #1296
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

This is what the yt tags are for. Put the string after the '=' sign in the youtube URL in yt tags:

[yt]H9hblaObW4E[/yt]

and you get:
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Clicking on the link then gives you a preview, in thread, and doesn't launch a new window or app to view the video if you choose to watch it.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 01:15 AM   #1297
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

I'm well aware of how the tags work and often use them. It's not a forum rule that they must be used. For this particular video I would actually recommend using the YouTube site to view it because the description has time stamps that allow you to skip to the interesting parts. I usually skip ahead to the news stories myself since I'm not very interested in parts like the ad read. If you just watch it embedded you cannot use these functions.
Old 29th October 2022, 06:04 AM   #1298
Blue Mountain
Resident Skeptical Hobbit

I'm well aware of how the tags work and often use them. It's not a forum rule that they must be used. For this particular video I would actually recommend using the YouTube site to view it because the description has time stamps that allow you to skip to the interesting parts. I usually skip ahead to the news stories myself since I'm not very interested in parts like the ad read. If you just watch it embedded you cannot use these functions.
But at least the [yt] tags let me know Becky's video this time is about the Pillars of Creation, which is more information that you offered in the post I'm complaining about

Come on, is it really too much work to say why you found an item interesting? Your post said simply "Dr. Becky's latest." That's simply lazy! I can't read your mind. With a few additional seconds of thought and a small amount of extra typing, you could have posted:

Quote:
Dr. Becky talks about JWST's Pillars of Creation

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
A few extra keystrokes; a much more informative post.

I never watch YouTube videos directly; I download them to my computer using yt-dlp and watch them using VLC. This lets me bypass the freaking ads and have finer control over the playback.
The social illusion reigns to-day upon all the heaped-up ruins of the past, and to it belongs the future. The masses have never thirsted after truth. They turn aside from evidence that is not to their taste, preferring to deify error, if error seduce them. Gustav Le Bon, The Crowd, 1895 (from the French)
Blue Mountain is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 29th October 2022, 07:12 AM   #1299
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Blue Mountain View Post
A few extra keystrokes; a much more informative post.
It would be nice if the forum interface had a button for that, like they do for other tags. To embed a YouTube link in [yt] tags, especially from a mobile phone (I'm not always posting from my computer) is more complicated that using other tags. I don't mind so much when I'm at home using a mouse and keyboard. But I'll try to avoid it in the future.

Quote:
I never watch YouTube videos directly; I download them to my computer using yt-dlp and watch them using VLC. This lets me bypass the freaking ads and have finer control over the playback.
I see. Well, that's not how I use it or how most people use it. Ads can be skipped and they are how the people who create the content get paid. I've also found YouTube to be a pretty enjoyable experience lately. It has evolved quite a bit from the early days in terms of recommending good content (like Dr. Becky's videos). You curate your own recommendation algorithm with what you choose to watch. I also like to open up the description, and sometimes there are time stamps that allow you to jump to exactly the part of the video that you want to see. Just my 2 cents. I'm sure you have your reasons, but it sounds needlessly complex to me, and you are also depriving yourself of some of the site's features.
Old 29th October 2022, 02:54 PM   #1300
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

It would never cross my mind to use youtube except directly. Smartphones are no good because you are stuck on youtube unless you use premium.
I make the reasonable assumption that a video by Becky with a link posted on this thread is a new item from James Webb.
Thankyou PC for posting exactly what you did.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th October 2022, 03:47 AM   #1301
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

NASA has released another image of the Pillars of Creation. This one was imaged with MIRI, rather than NIRCam.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard...rs-of-creation
Old 12th November 2022, 05:13 PM   #1302
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Webb Mid-Infrared Instrument Mode Returns to Functionality

The battle station telescope is fully operational again!

The filter wheel that was sticky has been unstuck.
Old 13th November 2022, 10:47 AM   #1303
Mike Helland
Master Poster

Webb Mid-Infrared Instrument Mode Returns to Functionality

The battle station telescope is fully operational again!

The filter wheel that was sticky has been unstuck.
I was curious if the friction sensor was just too cautious, and they would fix it by just cruising through.

It seems the engineering is far more sophisticated, and they can enter that mode from another more safe direction. AFAICT.
Mike Helland is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 01:01 PM   #1304
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Another fascinating false-colour image from the telescope: https://esawebb.org/images/weic2219a/
Old 16th November 2022, 01:11 PM   #1305
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Another fascinating false-colour image from the telescope: https://esawebb.org/images/weic2219a/
False colour? No doubt but it does not say.
Heaps of galaxies in the image as well as stars.
Samson is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 03:17 PM   #1306
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Samson View Post
False colour? No doubt but it does not say.
All JWST images are necessarily false color, it goes without saying. JWST doesn't see in the visible.
"As long as it is admitted that the law may be diverted from its true purpose -- that it may violate property instead of protecting it -- then everyone will want to participate in making the law, either to protect himself against plunder or to use it for plunder. Political questions will always be prejudicial, dominant, and all-absorbing. There will be fighting at the door of the Legislative Palace, and the struggle within will be no less furious." - Bastiat, The Law
Ziggurat is online now   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th November 2022, 04:35 PM   #1307
Samson
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Ziggurat View Post
All JWST images are necessarily false color, it goes without saying. JWST doesn't see in the visible.
But resembling true colour if we were nearby I thought we decided.
Old 16th November 2022, 05:22 PM   #1308
Ziggurat
Penultimate Amazing

If they are very distant, possibly. But that image is from within the milky way. It is nearby.
Old 16th November 2022, 08:20 PM   #1309
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Very nice. It's labeled a protostar, which Google tells me is "a contracting mass of gas which represents an early stage in the formation of a star, before nucleosynthesis has begun."
Old 17th November 2022, 05:06 AM   #1310
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

I think it depends what is being looked at in any given image, I saw one that was labelled as areas of higher density of dust shown as red and areas of lower density shown as blue. To our naked eye that would probably have just appeared as some slight whitish mist if we could see the dust at all.

Last edited by Darat; 17th November 2022 at 05:06 AM. Reason: too much love
Darat is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 18th November 2022, 01:04 PM   #1311
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Oldest galaxies yet? Formed 350 million years after the Big Bang: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...xies-ever-seen
Old 18th November 2022, 04:31 PM   #1312
Solitaire
Neoclinus blanchardi

They're already talking about a successor to the JWST.

I AGREE
Old 19th November 2022, 06:17 AM   #1313
Darat
Lackey
Administrator

Good. ��
Old 20th November 2022, 10:07 PM   #1314
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Yes, now is the appropriate time to start talking about that.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 12:32 AM   #1315
zooterkin
Nitpicking dilettante
Administrator

I’d be surprised if they weren’t talking about it well before the JWST was launched.
Join the JREF Folders ! Team 13232
Ezekiel 23:20
zooterkin is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology