IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 21st November 2022, 05:15 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Researchers Say They Are Close To Reversing Aging

There have been various threads on this topic over the years, but rather than reviving an old thread I thought I may as well start a new one.

This is a report by NBC News. I wonder if it's anything to get excited about?
Apparently they have managed to make rats younger. They show two rats which we are told are the same age, but one clearly appears to be younger than the other. Also, the researcher is at Harvard, if that makes any difference.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

Quote:
Researchers at Harvard University are investigating whether human genes could reverse the effects of aging. NBC Medical Fellow Dr. Akshay Syal got exclusive access to their lab to discuss the future of how to defy aging.
If you'd rather not watch a 7-minute video, I found an article in the MIT Technology Review:
How scientists want to make you young again

And another from CNN:
The ‘Benjamin Button’ effect: Scientists can reverse aging in mice. The goal is to do the same for humans

Will it happen sooner or later than practical energy from nuclear fusion? Or, indeed, at all? Maybe aging is simply inevitable?
Old 21st November 2022, 05:56 AM   #2
The Great Zaganza
Maledictorian

it certainly isn't inevitable.

I would say that, once we learn how, it will be surprising why we didn't figure it out earlier.

This seems to be a cell tissue issue, i.e. how many pluripotent cells remain compared to the total number of cells in the tissue. And that suggests that you should start this rejuvenation therapy in your 30s or 40s.
Old 21st November 2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

The big question is what can they do for those of us who are already old?

(Asking for shemp).
Old 21st November 2022, 07:59 AM   #4
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the only real old age is cancer. Eliminate every other cause of death "from old age" - worn out heart, failing lungs, malfunctioning kidney, etc. - and all that means is your body lasts long enough for your cells to statistically all start developing the cancer glitch. This rejuvenation therapy just means your cells will be more youthful when their luck runs out.
Old 21st November 2022, 05:48 PM   #5
jrhowell
Muse

The MIT article is a mishmash of anti-aging concepts. No single magic bullet is going to reverse the effects of time on a complex organism.
jrhowell is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 05:56 PM   #6
Olmstead
Graduate Poster

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
The big question is what can they do for those of us who are already old?

(Asking for shemp).
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
Olmstead is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 21st November 2022, 06:20 PM   #7
theprestige
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
The MIT article is a mishmash of anti-aging concepts. No single magic bullet is going to reverse the effects of time on a complex organism.
It's the statistical certainty of cancer that really sets the upper limit on age.
Old 21st November 2022, 07:17 PM   #8
TheGoldcountry
Philosopher

Originally Posted by jrhowell View Post
This. There are so many different facets of aging, saying "we stopped it" is beyond simplistic. (Though I doubt anyone but hyperbolic editors and writers is doing that.)
Old 22nd November 2022, 03:02 PM   #9
Mike!
Official Ponylandistanian National Treasure. Respect it!

Location: Ponylandistan! Where the bacon grows on trees! Can it get any better than that? I submit it can not!
How do we know they didn't just forcibly age the other rat?
Old 23rd November 2022, 12:21 AM   #10
El Greco
Summer worshipper

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
Over the years I've come to the conclusion that the only real old age is cancer. Eliminate every other cause of death "from old age" - worn out heart, failing lungs, malfunctioning kidney, etc. - and all that means is your body lasts long enough for your cells to statistically all start developing the cancer glitch. This rejuvenation therapy just means your cells will be more youthful when their luck runs out.
I'm not sure that the brain has the ability or the capacity to remain youthful for a much longer time. I look at people who are 105-110 yo and even if their bodies are in comparatively good shape and their minds appear sound, they almost always lack the enthusiasm that many 80-year olds (even if their health is frail) have about various things in life. It's as if most supercentenarians are tired of living.

El Greco is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 26th November 2022, 05:05 PM   #11
IsThisTheLife
Muse

It's been demonstrated to my satisfaction that ageing isn't 'wearing out' it's a time-out which is essential to adaptation, absolutely necessary to "life as we know it" (at least for higher animals);

birth > procreation (random shuffling of genome) > death.

IOW mortality is essential to maintaining balance in ecosystems.

Life span appears to be governed by the length of the chromosomal telomeres, each cycle of mitosis (tissue renewal) uses a segment of the telomeres until they're exhausted and the chromosome disintegrates when it tries to replicate a final time.
Old 27th November 2022, 05:33 AM   #12
Crazy Chainsaw
Philosopher

Originally Posted by IsThisTheLife View Post
It's been demonstrated to my satisfaction that ageing isn't 'wearing out' it's a time-out which is essential to adaptation, absolutely necessary to "life as we know it" (at least for higher animals);

birth > procreation (random shuffling of genome) > death.

IOW mortality is essential to maintaining balance in ecosystems.

Life span appears to be governed by the length of the chromosomal telomeres, each cycle of mitosis (tissue renewal) uses a segment of the telomeres until they're exhausted and the chromosome disintegrates when it tries to replicate a final time.
Telomeres transplants using crisper are one of the methods discussed.
Crazy Chainsaw is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 08:11 AM   #13
Roboramma
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by theprestige View Post
It's the statistical certainty of cancer that really sets the upper limit on age.
At least some of the factors that cause aging also make cancer more likely, so dealing with those problems could both make you more youthful and lower the rate at which cancer arises.

As an example, see senescent cells. These are cells that basically reached the ends of their lives, but instead of being disposed of by the immune system as they should have been, continue on in body (not really doing much). Their influence on other cells nearby can make cancer more likely. One potential longevity treatment is simply to find a way of removing these cells from the body.
"... when people thought the Earth was flat, they were wrong. When people thought the Earth was spherical they were wrong. But if you think that thinking the Earth is spherical is just as wrong as thinking the Earth is flat, then your view is wronger than both of them put together."
Isaac Asimov
Roboramma is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 30th November 2022, 08:29 AM   #14
TragicMonkey
Poisoned Waffles

I can only imagine how cranky people will get to be if they live to be three hundred.
Old 30th November 2022, 08:45 AM   #15
Thermal
Penultimate Amazing

Put this in the file next to how close we are to cold fusion.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect -Mark Twain
Thermal is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology