IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Old 15th January 2022, 10:30 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Massive Eruption near Tonga / Caught on Cam

Tsunami hits Tonga after giant volcano eruption

Very concerning. There are tsunami warnings all around the Pacific rim. Here in Japan, California. I assume New Zealand and Australia too.

Looks huge from satellite images:

https://twitter.com/sirajnoorani/sta...35415235264514
Old 15th January 2022, 10:38 AM   #2
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

That satellite capture is incredible. The wave has passed in many areas, not sure what risk Hawaii had but no wave hit there.

This morning they said the wave would hit about 6am Pacific time. Now it's supposed to arrive within the next 30 minutes. I'm watching the Explore cams that show Puget Sound. All is very calm.

https://explore.org/livecams/orcas/o...-rubbing-beach

I'm sure we'll see the news images for Japan, Australia, and New Zealand.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th January 2022 at 10:40 AM.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 10:53 AM   #3
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

There are lots of tsunami warnings here. I even turned my cell phone off because it was making too much noise, with these push warnings. I don't know if it will amount to much when it reaches Japan. We'll see. I live pretty far inland, so I'm not worried for myself anyway.
Old 15th January 2022, 11:21 AM   #4
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

News: About a half meter wave hit Hawaii with no damage. Also the waves have hit AK and CA, also with minimal damage.

I think the hazard has pretty much passed.

Now to watch that volcano which surely isn't done with the show.
Skeptic Ginger is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 11:28 AM   #5
Trebuchet
Penultimate Amazing

OMG! TSUNAMI! The local TV is giddy with excitement.
For a one to three foot wave. I'd watch it come in from my window but it's foggy and we can't see the water.
Old 15th January 2022, 11:50 AM   #6
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
For a one to three foot wave. I'd watch it come in from my window but it's foggy and we can't see the water.
It is not a wave. It is a one to three foot rise in the local sea level.
Old 15th January 2022, 01:19 PM   #7
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
Tsunami hits Tonga after giant volcano eruption

Very concerning. There are tsunami warnings all around the Pacific rim. Here in Japan, California. I assume New Zealand and Australia too.

Looks huge from satellite images:

https://twitter.com/sirajnoorani/sta...35415235264514
Some better videos here for those that don't "do"Twitter:

https://www.space.com/tonga-volcano-...tellite-photos
Old 15th January 2022, 01:22 PM   #8
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

I visited Tonga many years ago and one of my memories is how flat the island is. A small tsunami would cause major damage.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 01:26 PM   #9
lionking
In the Peanut Gallery

Originally Posted by lionking View Post
I visited Tonga many years ago and one of my memories is how flat the island is. A small tsunami would cause major damage.
I know there are many islands that make up Tonga, I was referring to the main island with the capital.

Sir Winston Churchill
lionking is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 01:42 PM   #10
MarkCorrigan
¡No pasarán!

That satellite video is absolutely terrifying.

When I give food to the poor, they call me a Saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a Communist. - Hélder Câmara
MarkCorrigan is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 01:47 PM   #11
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Anyone know whether the satellite vid is real time or time lapse? Seems awful quick to me but maybe my perspective is off.
Old 15th January 2022, 02:30 PM   #12
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

I hope The Jets are OK!!! (The singers, not the dancing gang members...) Funny, I just pulled out a song by them from my library a couple nights ago.

Originally Posted by MarkCorrigan View Post
That satellite video is absolutely terrifying.
What is especially eye-opening is the shock wave. For years I wondered what those parallel vertical smoke lines were on that old nuclear blast footage. I recently found out that it's for measuring the shock wave as the visual gets distorted by it.

Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Anyone know whether the satellite vid is real time or time lapse? Seems awful quick to me but maybe my perspective is off.
Considering how fast the sun is shown setting, I'd say it's a time-lapse.
Old 15th January 2022, 02:36 PM   #13
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
\
Considering how fast the sun is shown setting, I'd say it's a time-lapse.
Did not notice the sun. thx
Old 15th January 2022, 03:23 PM   #14
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Don't think either satellite that I've seen credited for the various videos has real time capability.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GOES-17
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Himawari_8
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 05:26 PM   #15
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

The article said the eruption took eight minutes.
Old 15th January 2022, 05:26 PM   #16
Checkmite
Skepticifimisticalationist

Some more video clips for you guys.

Another time-lapse satellite image

Lightning detection from eruption cloud

Arrival of atmospheric compression wave in Tonga (warning: language)

Arrival of tsunami in Tonga

No real damage elsewhere, especially far away, except for a few localized exceptions where geographical features made the tsunami a little higher than expected such as in Santa Cruz, California.
Checkmite is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 15th January 2022, 06:11 PM   #17
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Some fascinating images/gifs on this Twitter feed. There is one showing the pressure wave measurements that went across the US and one of the satellite images shows a lot more of the pressure waves coming off the volcano.

The sound recorded in Fiji hinted at what Krakatoa must have sounded like thousands of miles away.

Most of the waves/swells seem to have only registered in little harbors in the US where they can build up to a little higher level.

Last edited by Skeptic Ginger; 15th January 2022 at 06:13 PM.
Old 15th January 2022, 06:22 PM   #18
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Checkmite View Post
Some more video clips for you guys.

Another time-lapse satellite image

Lightning detection from eruption cloud

Arrival of atmospheric compression wave in Tonga (warning: language)

Arrival of tsunami in Tonga

No real damage elsewhere, especially far away, except for a few localized exceptions where geographical features made the tsunami a little higher than expected such as in Santa Cruz, California.
For some reason, parts of Japan are still under evacuation warnings though. It's on NHK as I type. They are predicting a 3 meter tsunami in Iwate prefecture, and smaller ones elsewhere.
Old 15th January 2022, 07:04 PM   #19
alfaniner
Penultimate Amazing

My continued concern is that it may have released a lot of pressure that was keeping something else in place. I know we're talking about a global scale here but little things can have big repercussions.
Old 15th January 2022, 07:49 PM   #20
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Ground-level (sea level) view of the eruption:

https://twitter.com/asalmendez/statu...73006205718537
Old 15th January 2022, 08:25 PM   #21
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Some videos from Geology Hub and Scott Manley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B54HbfqDbK4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoMRwyNhqJ4

Both worth checking out.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:14 PM   #22
Skeptic Ginger
Nasty Woman

Originally Posted by alfaniner View Post
My continued concern is that it may have released a lot of pressure that was keeping something else in place. I know we're talking about a global scale here but little things can have big repercussions.
It's a caldera that has had volcanic activity for quite a while. See Puppycow's links in post #21.
Old 15th January 2022, 09:27 PM   #23
varwoche
Penultimate Amazing

It is a wave -- a series of super long waves.
Old 15th January 2022, 11:05 PM   #24
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

From Scott Manley's video, this might actually be the smaller eruption that happened on the previous day. It's still a big eruption, but apparently there was a smaller eruption a day earlier.
Old 15th January 2022, 11:07 PM   #25
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

From Scott Manley's video, this might actually be the smaller eruption that happened on the previous day. It's still a big eruption, but apparently there was a smaller eruption a day earlier.
Yeah, that Eruption was NOAA's photo of the day on Friday.

ETA: https://www.nesdis.noaa.gov/news/hun...i-erupts-again

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 15th January 2022 at 11:08 PM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 02:27 AM   #26
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Caught on Cam - Massive Volcanic Eruption!

There's some amazing satellite footage of a deadly volcanic explosion in Tonga.

Sadly, we're going to hear of many deaths on the closest island, which is still cut off from all communications, and with a tsunami that caused damage in NZ, has surely been catastrophic for our Pasifika brothers. The explosion was heard in NZ, 2000 km away.

The largest volcanic explosion since 1991, apparently.

Stunning images, though: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...ge-says-ardern

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/127...ilometres-away
Old 16th January 2022, 03:10 AM   #27
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

There's a thread over here already:

http://www.internationalskeptics.com...d.php?t=356370

There is a science angle, but I considered it a "current event". Could go in either sub-forum though. I hope the people of Tonga are OK. It seems to have cut off their lines of communication with the rest of the world.
Old 16th January 2022, 03:31 AM   #28
Lurch
Master Poster

I think the GOES images are created every 10 minutes. At least they used to, back when I was in the weather business.
Lurch is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 05:22 AM   #29
Matthew Best
Philosopher

Some videos from Geology Hub and Scott Manley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B54HbfqDbK4
OMG that guy's voice is annoying.

Quote:
This was much better, thanks.
Matthew Best is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 06:11 AM   #30
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by varwoche View Post
It is a wave -- a series of super long waves.
Technically it is a wave. For all practical purposes it is both. The leading edge manifests as what most people would view as a common wave. The water following, that can stretch for many kilometers, is uniformly higher than normal sea level by a height consistent with the amplitude of the wave and has a period measuring from minutes to hours. It is certainly not a wave as is commonly seen generated by wind at a beach, or as Trebuchet seemed to wish to trivialize it. A person wishing to live through a tsunami would do well to treat it as a rapid rise in sea level rather than a common wave

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/Natu...rs/tsunami.htm

"Wind-generated waves usually have period (time between two successive waves) of five to twenty seconds and a wavelength of 100 to 200 meters. A tsunami can have a period in the range of ten minutes to two hours and wavelengths greater than 500 km."
Old 16th January 2022, 08:40 AM   #31
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Lurch View Post
I think the GOES images are created every 10 minutes. At least they used to, back when I was in the weather business.
There are multiple instruments and multiple cycles. I post the wikipedia link earlier.
Old 16th January 2022, 11:42 AM   #32
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Things in Tonga are so bad we can't even conduct reconnaissance flights due to the ash lingering in the air.

This is going to be a major humanitarian disaster, and will no doubt be compounded by aid workers bringing Covid to the islands. They won't even have clean water for weeks: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/300...minates-supply

At least Tonga is lucky in having two big bros standing by to help - NZ and Aussie. We will both deploy everything we have to help.
Old 16th January 2022, 11:55 AM   #33
Gord_in_Toronto
Penultimate Amazing

That is incredibly scary! I wonder how far away they were? I think I would have been backing away as fast as i could -- Pompey and all.
Old 16th January 2022, 04:16 PM   #34
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Gord_in_Toronto View Post
That is incredibly scary! I wonder how far away they were? I think I would have been backing away as fast as i could -- Pompey and all.
About 70km (40 miles). Waaay to close for comfort

The PM is said there appears to be extensive damage

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/01...amage-in-tonga

“a significant impact on the foreshore on the northern side of Nuku’alofa,” the Tongan capital, “with boats and large boulders washed ashore.”

“Shops along the coast have been damaged and a significant cleanup will be needed,”

“A clear indication that has come from Tonga is a need for water. The ash cloud has, as you can imagine, caused contamination. That’s on top of already a challenging environment, in terms of water supply.”
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 04:37 PM   #35
smartcooky
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by Trebuchet View Post
Nope, its nothing to be dismissed lightly

Technically it is a wave. For all practical purposes it is both. The leading edge manifests as what most people would view as a common wave. The water following, that can stretch for many kilometers, is uniformly higher than normal sea level by a height consistent with the amplitude of the wave and has a period measuring from minutes to hours. It is certainly not a wave as is commonly seen generated by wind at a beach, or as Trebuchet seemed to wish to trivialize it. A person wishing to live through a tsunami would do well to treat it as a rapid rise in sea level rather than a common wave

http://www.tulane.edu/~sanelson/Natu...rs/tsunami.htm

"Wind-generated waves usually have period (time between two successive waves) of five to twenty seconds and a wavelength of 100 to 200 meters. A tsunami can have a period in the range of ten minutes to two hours and wavelengths greater than 500 km."
A 3 foot high wave with a 40 miles of water behind it can wreak utter havoc. Unlike a normal 3ft wave that just breaks on the shoreline and then falls back, a 3 ft high tsunami just keeps heading inland until it runs out of energy.

These surges in the beaches of Peru and Chile were less than a half a metre...

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE
smartcooky is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 07:30 PM   #36
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

Apparently the undersea cable connecting Tonga to the rest of the world has been cut. There are aircraft on the way from Australia and New Zealand.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 07:38 PM   #37
Steve
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by arthwollipot View Post
Apparently the undersea cable connecting Tonga to the rest of the world has been cut. There are aircraft on the way from Australia and New Zealand.
Hope they can avoid the ash clouds. Tonga will need all the help it can get.
Old 16th January 2022, 09:37 PM   #38
The Atheist
The Grammar Tyrant

Early signs are encouraging.

The tsunami was smaller close to the epicentre and it looks like they may have been spared a tragedy: https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/127...canic-eruption
Old 16th January 2022, 09:39 PM   #39
arthwollipot
Observer of Phenomena
Pronouns: he/him

So far zero confirmed deaths. I'm seeing reports of three people swept away, but two of them have returned safely. The other is still missing.
arthwollipot is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 16th January 2022, 10:05 PM   #40
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Here's a news report from Australia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kbVc4FtbE0

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology