IS Forum
Forum Index Register Members List Events Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Help

Go Back   International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology

Welcome to the International Skeptics Forum, where we discuss skepticism, critical thinking, the paranormal and science in a friendly but lively way. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest, which means you are missing out on discussing matters that are of interest to you. Please consider registering so you can gain full use of the forum features and interact with other Members. Registration is simple, fast and free! Click here to register today.
Tags gamma ray burst

Old 27th October 2022, 03:21 AM   #1
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Most powerful gamma ray burst ever seen

So the most powerful gamma ray burst ever recorded was seen recently. Fortunately it came from about 2 billion light years away.

NASA’s Swift, Fermi Missions Detect Exceptional Cosmic Blast

Quote:
The signal, originating from the direction of the constellation Sagitta, had traveled an estimated 1.9 billion years to reach Earth. Astronomers think it represents the birth cry of a new black hole, one that formed in the heart of a massive star collapsing under its own weight. In these circumstances, a nascent black hole drives powerful jets of particles traveling near the speed of light. The jets pierce through the star, emitting X-rays and gamma rays as they stream into space.

The burst also provided a long-awaited inaugural observing opportunity for a link between two experiments on the International Space Station – NASA’s NICER X-ray telescope and a Japanese detector called the Monitor of All-sky X-ray Image (MAXI). Activated in April, the connection is dubbed the Orbiting High-energy Monitor Alert Network (OHMAN). It allows NICER to rapidly turn to outbursts detected by MAXI, actions that previously required intervention by scientists on the ground.
YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The good news is that our atmosphere actually provides a lot of protection from this kind of radiation. Cannot say the same for people on the moon or Mars perhaps. I wonder how the people on the ISS fared?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_221009A
Old 27th October 2022, 07:03 AM   #2
Mashuna
Ovis ex Machina

Originally Posted by Puppycow View Post
So the most powerful gamma ray burst ever recorded was seen recently. Fortunately it came from about 2 billion light years away.

NASA’s Swift, Fermi Missions Detect Exceptional Cosmic Blast

YouTube Video This video is not hosted by the ISF. The ISF can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website.
I AGREE

The good news is that our atmosphere actually provides a lot of protection from this kind of radiation. Cannot say the same for people on the moon or Mars perhaps. I wonder how the people on the ISS fared?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GRB_221009A
Don't make them angry. You wouldn't like them when they're angry.
Old 27th October 2022, 10:45 AM   #3
RecoveringYuppy
Penultimate Amazing

I don't think the astronauts aboard the ISS were in any danger from this but having trouble finding a good number to be certain.

I was annoyed by one report I saw this morning that said the entire energy (And I think they may have said power) output of this event was 18 TeV. Confusing a single photon with the entire event.

ETA: Here's the article that annoyed me: https://www.salon.com/2022/10/18/a-g...ps-over-earth/

Quote:
Because it is believed to have released 18 teraelectronvolts of energy, scientists are preparing to dub it as a precedent-setter, given that no previous gamma-ray burst is ever known to have surpassed 10 teraelectronvolts.
Wow, it could have flicked dust in to my eyes!

At least they did get "energy" correct. That statement is supposed to be reference to the single photon energy, isn't it?

Last edited by RecoveringYuppy; 27th October 2022 at 10:51 AM.
RecoveringYuppy is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top
Old 28th October 2022, 12:24 AM   #4
Puppycow
Penultimate Amazing

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I was annoyed by one report I saw this morning that said the entire energy (And I think they may have said power) output of this event was 18 TeV. Confusing a single photon with the entire event.
Yeah, that was just a single photon. Wikipedia got it right:
Quote:
China recorded five thousand high-energy photons during the event, including an 18-TeV photon
As far as photons go, that's a particularly high-energy one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photon_energy

Quote:
Very-high-energy gamma rays have photon energies of 100 GeV to over 1 PeV (1011 to 1015 electronvolts) or 16 nanojoules to 160 microjoules.[3] This corresponds to frequencies of 2.42 × 1025 to 2.42 × 1029 Hz.
The total energy released by the supernova (or hypernova) that created the GMB? Couldn't find an estimate for this particular event, but I found an estimate of 1044 joules for a supernova. Although there are different types of supernovae and I think this was a particularly large one.
Old 6th November 2022, 02:25 PM   #5
fertilizerspike
New Blood

Originally Posted by RecoveringYuppy View Post
I don't think the astronauts aboard the ISS were in any danger
Astronauts on orbit are always in danger

Sent from my SM-S111DL using Tapatalk
fertilizerspike is offline   Quote this post in a PM   Nominate this post for this month's language award Copy a direct link to this post Reply With Quote Back to Top

International Skeptics Forum » General Topics » Science, Mathematics, Medicine, and Technology